Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2001 3:35:05 PM EDT
Gday from Sydney, Australia. There is a WW2 movie (Eastern Europe Theatre) starting here on 28 Jul, called Enemy at the Gates. Just seen a trailer on the TV. Never heard of it.

We always get movies here months after ther are released in America.

So tell me, what did you think of it? Is it worthwhile watching? Authentic etc? Cross of Iron material or what? Rate it on the 10 scale, 10 being the best.

Thanks Lads.

1feral1
Sydney
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 3:45:59 PM EDT
[#1]
It came out in March here.  If you do a search back then you'll find lots of opinions.

I'd give it a 7.  Everyone who saw Cross of Iron said Cross was better.  There are epic battle scenes in the beginning, with brutal commisars shooting conscripts who run from the fight.

The main problem with the movie, which everyone agrees on, is the love triangle sideline.  There's a scene where the hero and his girl and "having a root" as Australians say, in a frontline bivouac that's really gratuitous.  But the movie on a whole is definitely worth seeing.  I think it's a German-produced movie.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 3:56:36 PM EDT
[#2]
A field root, eh? Many mmons ago, had one once with a Sheila in a trench, a cute little cook nicknamed 'Carrots', needed a shower after that! HaHa.

Thanks for your input, I'll go see the movie, maybe even drag the wife to it. here you can have beer, wine etc at some theatres (right at your seats), so it should be a good go.
Regards,
1feral1
Sydney
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 5:52:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Compared to old films like "The Longest Day" or "The Bridge at Remagen" it totally sucked ass.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#4]
The movie was OK to be polite. The 2 things that ruined the movie, Romance and Vassili really did not kill the German sniper like he did in the movie. I read a book on it and the way it really happened was alot better. Sorry if I ruined it for you.

Six
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought it was a pretty good movie. I'd give it a 7.5. I thought that it was interesting to see a movie that focused on the war from a Russian's point of view.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 6:28:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I really like it, it was so cool to have a WW2 movie on the Eastern Front. The book was pretty good too, and made me want to take the rifles off the wall and shoot them.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Hi Jennifer, I used to have a Moisin Nagant Sniper, fair dinkum original scope etc. Well used, and I am sure it could tell a few stories from the old eastern front. It was Russian made too!

PS -Glad to see a woman on the site.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 7:50:26 PM EDT
[#9]
"Russians" with Brit accents just didn't seem right.  Worth seeing if you can get in for a matinee price, stupid love story gets in the way, the guy who played Khruschev is worth seeing.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 8:03:43 PM EDT
[#10]
well compared the pearl harbor [puke] the love story wasnt thaty bad ill give it a 7.62 x 54R

heh
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Much better film about Stalingrad is a German produced movie (actually German, not like Enemy at the Gates) called "Stalingrad."  Action is more realistic and it doesn't have all the Hollywood excess drama crap getting in the way.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Personally I liked it. Everyone has their tastes and I've seen a lot of movies that random strangers said sucked but I ended up really liking.  Ok, so here's some advise for a movie that won't come out in Oz for a few more months: A.I. (Artificial Intelligence).  Resist the urge to throw your Australian dollars away on this piece of crap. Can you say "Boring"? Can you say "Spielberg, did you even see your own movie before approving it's release?". I thought it was going to end like 3 different times but then it would keep on going. See Shreck instead.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 9:27:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The movie was OK to be polite. The 2 things that ruined the movie, Romance and Vassili really did not kill the German sniper like he did in the movie. I read a book on it and the way it really happened was alot better. Sorry if I ruined it for you.

Six
View Quote

Hey, what book are you referring to?  I'd like to read it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 9:30:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The main problem with the movie, which everyone agrees on, is the love triangle sideline.  There's a scene where the hero and his girl and "having a root" as Australians say, in a frontline bivouac that's really gratuitous.  But the movie on a whole is definitely worth seeing.  I think it's a German-produced movie.
View Quote

That scene was disturbing.  It looked like the girl was in REAL pain... and it wasn't the good kind.  That Vasili guy must have been really packed! :)
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 9:52:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Not a perfect movie by any stretch, but good none the less. My biggest problem with the movie,(other than the sappy love story), is that Ed Harris's (German sniper) character is totally wasted. He is a great actor, he needed better writers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top