Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2001 8:03:18 AM EDT
Has anyone ever found a semi-auto that CB's would cycle, either rifle or pistol? Has anyone ever tweaked a 10/22 to allow it to cycle with CB's (ie: weaker aftermarket recoil spring and aftermarket mag, if such things exist)?

I've got a couple lever actions that I shoot CB's in, but a semi would be a lot of fun. Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 7/2/2001 8:10:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I always single load my CB's into my 22's but a nine shot revolver is nice for cb work also I saw a 10/22 in cb a few years back go to one of the 10/22 boards and ask...
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Anyone have a link to a 10/22 forum?
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#3]
[url]www.22world.com[/url]
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 1:51:02 PM EDT
[#4]
those 22 colibras that agula makes work since there the same case as a 22 lr just they dont cycle the gun so u do it manuely
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a mossberg 151M that i thought about triming the recoil sping on.Wouldnt be safe with regular 22's after.Ill post if I decide to do it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#6]
There is an ammo forum over at [url]www.rimfirecentral.com[/url] They just had a discussion about this very subject.
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Shoot dude,  a Winchester model 74 in .22 short will shoot & cycle .22 CBs, I have one,It is quiet when it shoots similar to those silenced jobs.Its the only factory gun that shoots them. Those .22 colibri are just primer only and shoot a whopping 10 yards and thats pushing it.CBs in a pistol has a loud report.
GG
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#8]
This question came up here locally a while back.  A gunsmith I know got a Remington 550-1 .22 auto rifle in for cleaning.  This has a floating chamber to assist with cycling .22 shorts, longs and long rifles.  When he cleaned it -- surprise, it would cycle with long CB's!
Naturally, the next one in the shop was cleaned and tried... but it was a no-go.  It almost cycled, but not quite.  A friend was interested in setting up a 10/22 to shoot long CB's semi-auto and researched it some.  Vollquartsen's apparently makes a .22 Short adapter kit for 10/22's (costing about $200?) with an aluminum bolt and special mag.  We were wondering if the aluminum bolt and a regular 10/22 mag would cycle with long CB's.  However, my friend was not willing to bet 200 bucks that it would, so he went on to other daydreams.  By the way, the longer the barrel, the quieter the Long CB's will be.  In a typical 10/22, they are noticeably louder than in a 24" barrelled rifle, as per my tests.  My quickie accuracy test in an old Winchester bolt action .22 with 24" barrel and 4X scope at 50 yards showed CCI Long CBs to give vertically strung groups of 2.58" to 3.44".  (5-shot groups).  In a Winchester 74 (.22LR, 24" barrel, I believe) chronographed velocity of CCI Long CB's was 642 fps with an extreme spread of velocity of 108 fps!  A test using observers who could not tell which rifle was being fired, located 50 yards to the side of the shooter on flat ground, showed that the observer could tell no significant difference in the sound of a 24" barrelled bolt action firing CCI Long CB's vs. an Air Arms Pro Elite .22 spring-piston magnum air rifle (15 gr. pellet at 820 fps chronographed.)  If anyone has info on .22 semi-autos other than a .22 Short Win. 74 that will reliably cycle with CB's, I'm all ears!!  John
Link Posted: 7/2/2001 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a Henry Lever Action .22 for the specific reason of shooting Colibris. All of my .22s were autoloaders, so I bought the Lever Action. It holds something like 19 of them.[:)]
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 5:41:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Brownells sells a kit for the 10-22.
Eric
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 7:12:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Great minds think alike.  I have been thinking for several months if something like that is possible.  

I shoot CB longs out of my 4x scoped Marlin 25N bolt action with great sucess.  I don't know if the micro grooved barrel workes better on low power rounds, but accuracy is very good, out to 50 yards or so.  during the winter, I regularly shot squirells between 25-50 yards from a second story window of my house (which helps elimiate some drop).

Over two years, I have elimated about 80 of the pests with a combination of CB longs ("long" range) and Aguilla Super Colibis (short range).

I think a tube fed semi-auto would work the best.  I was thinking of getting an old Marlin Mod. 60 to try this out on, but the Remington 550 series might be the best bet as they are already designed to fire lower power rounds.  Might be as simple as trimming the recoil spring enough to get it to function.

Now you got me thinking.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top