Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 12:44:11 PM EDT
[#1]
"The address was an old address, one of 16, that they had for the suspect, so technically they found the address they were lokking for. I know some of you may be shocked that a suspect would give an incorrect or made up address."

If these cops had given one second's thought to the rights of citizens, they would have staked out the house long enough to determine if their target still lived there - especially with all those addresses to choose from. I'm definately not a cop hater, but I have to admit I'd have had a hard time not smacking that officer upside the head. With a hammer.

My dog is half Rott and half German Shepard. He is really friendly and LOVES kids. ANY kids. He also hates anyone in a uniform so I have to keep him contained whenever the electric meter reader comes around. He is very big (125 lbs) and very protective and very smart. I doubt he would ever attack anyone outdoors (unprovoked) but he would likely do his best to look viscious to scare away anyone he didn't like. If provoked I'm sure you'd HAVE to shoot him. Indoors, forget it - an intruder would have to shoot and do it quick. Either way, anyone that shoots him will have to deal with me, unless the dog is actually attacking for no reason. In that case, I'll shoot the dog.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 1:05:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
Ok, if the cops do a dynamic entry on the wrong house and the homeowner takes out some of them he should only get a reprimand because it was an honest mistake too.
View Quote

Way to go. Too bad there aren't more people like you. If someone bust into my house with a gun, without a good reason,  he wouldn't make it past the threshhold.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#4]
If I were that family, I would be doing everything possible to get my crying kids on the local TV news!

The bad press would probably get the local PD to ante up to the responsibility a little better financially.

I would be pretty upset if my dog were killed, but immediately returning fire on the cops is just bringing down a world of hurt on your family.

I agree that the guy that shot the dog should probably rethink his career choice.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 3:48:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
"The address was an old address, one of 16, that they had for the suspect, so technically they found the address they were lokking for. I know some of you may be shocked that a suspect would give an incorrect or made up address."

If these cops had given one second's thought to the rights of citizens, they would have staked out the house long enough to determine if their target still lived there - especially with all those addresses to choose from. I'm definately not a cop hater, but I have to admit I'd have had a hard time not smacking that officer upside the head. With a hammer.

My dog is half Rott and half German Shepard. He is really friendly and LOVES kids. ANY kids. He also hates anyone in a uniform so I have to keep him contained whenever the electric meter reader comes around. He is very big (125 lbs) and very protective and very smart. I doubt he would ever attack anyone outdoors (unprovoked) but he would likely do his best to look viscious to scare away anyone he didn't like. If provoked I'm sure you'd HAVE to shoot him. Indoors, forget it - an intruder would have to shoot and do it quick. Either way, anyone that shoots him will have to deal with me, unless the dog is actually attacking for no reason. In that case, I'll shoot the dog.
View Quote

Sure let's put up the black helicopter and break out the infared gear. How exactly do you figure out how someone is home?? You got x-ray vision?

Wouldn't some people consider it intrusive to have a bunch of cops parked by there house looking into the house?? I think so.

Why not run a check of some of the plates parked near the house? Why not send an officer up to knock on the door?? If the suspect answers then we get to the formalities. If someone else answers ask them if they know mr suspect and where he might be reached or if they have a phone # for mr S. If they don't know him apologize for bugging them and move on.

I still don't see the need to shoot a barking dog. Plus doggie was probably concerned not only that people were coming into his "home" but that there were 4 of them.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Are we jumping to conclusions, again? Look everybody re-read the article, or have someone read it to you, I'll wait.

Where in that article does it say SWAT, dynamic entry, or that the warrant attempt was during the night?

Well where??? Hmmm doesn't does it? I like how a lot of you feel free to fill in facts.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 4:03:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#8]
When I was first learning to shoot I killed a songbird with a BB gun so as punishment my mom cooked it and I had to eat it.

Now a lab is about 40lbs of boned out meat or 8 lbs per officer.

Everybody apologize and buck up to the table.  
[moon]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 4:23:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I like your mom. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok I stick up for the cops most of the time but this was wrong the OC would have made any dog go away. I have seen what it does to people I have had it sprayed in my face as part of training. A dog would have gone a way with a 2 sec spray. This was shitty on the LEO's part I hope someone goes and shoots his dog. The bastard. Thou poor kids I say sue the shit out of thou officers.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 5:49:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok I stick up for the cops most of the time but this was wrong the OC would have made any dog go away. I have seen what it does to people I have had it sprayed in my face as part of training. A dog would have gone a way with a 2 sec spray. This was shitty on the LEO's part I hope someone goes and shoots his dog. The bastard. Thou poor kids I say sue the shit out of thou officers.

Just a thought now if you where to shoot someone you have to not feel but think your life or another persons life is in danger of getting killed or severely hurt right. Now If I was that guy who owned the dog what kind of people do you think would shot my dog. Well I would not think LEO right? You know you have done nothing wrong. So now someone just shot your dog shit the first thing I'd think is that someone trying or going to try and kill me or one of my family members. I would pull out the shotgun and blasted who was ever at my door. Just think 1# Right now you are in fear of your life or your family members life. 2# You know the person is outside your door with a gun. I would have killed the bastards. Let me just say Not all cops are like this ok and if you think this your just a dumb shit head that is just as bad as the soccer moms that think that all gun's just go out and kill children.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 7:03:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Hmmm... "I was in fear for my life".....seems to be the catch phrase to justify a mistake...hmmmm..
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 7:04:32 PM EDT
[#13]
If anyone killed my dog or horse or any member of my family I would have justice legally or otherwise. The fact that the killer of my dog was a cop would make no difference at all, and he would die. If I didn’t lose control and take out those bast*rds right on the spot, I would hunt them until they were all dead. Now if the other cops would be willing to say that my dog was killed and the dog’s killers were now dead and it was all over and the law would leave me alone then I would not kill any more cops. But if they wanted to arrest me and make me pay for killing those rat cops then I would continue hunting and killing them until I myself was killed. I know what I am doing with a rifle and I don’t usually miss and many cops would pay the price for what those dog murderers did. A few facts about myself I have been shooting for over 30 years and I am very good at it. I am the kind of person who has a sense of right and wrong and I don’t do certain things to people and I will not tolerate people doing those things to me. I don’t want to die but I know I will not get out of this life alive. There are certain things that I value more then my life, like the life of my family and my dog and horse and my freedom. I am willing to die for what I believe in. And I will kill anyone who harms my family including my animals.

So to sum it up I have the will to get justice even if I know I will die myself in the process. Plus I have the skill with my rifle to do what is necessary. So I have the will, the skill and the pure cussedness sacrifice my life if that is what it will take to get revenge against anyone who ticks me off enough like by killing my dog including cops, etc.

So that makes me one mean SOB and the cops are lucky they have never pushed me over that line.

Sniper for Justice          

VINCE AUT MORIRE (Conquer or Die)
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Hmmm... "I was in fear for my life".....seems to be the catch phrase to justify a mistake...hmmmm..

Link Posted: 6/27/2001 9:16:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Miss Magnum:
Quoted:
[IMG]http://www.3dpcgames.com/cwm/s/otn/sleepy/jpsleepy.gif[/IMG]

What Ever !!!!

Jay
Arizona
View Quote

Do posts like the above irk anyone else?  If the topic bores you... shut it and move on.... [rolleyes]

As for someone shooting my dog because of a mistake?  I can't even [i]fathom[/i] how upset I would be... it took me three years after my childhood dog passed to stop crying when I thought about him. [:(]
View Quote

[IMG]http://www.3dpcgames.com/cwm/s/otn/sleepy/jpsleepy.gif[/IMG]

What Ever !!!

Jay
Arizona
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 10:22:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
Legally, civilian dogs are considered nothing but property and the only compensation that can be recouped is that of the purchase value of the animal.
View Quote

That's not true.. sue for emotional distress for your entire family (kids included) as well as the cost of the dog, lost revenue (since the dog was a source of revenue for the owner), stress, and anything else you can think of.  This is negligence at its finest, and they should pay dearly for executing a family member.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 4:27:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
LEO dogs are LEO also. If you harm one you get the same treatment as for harming a LEO.
My wifes dogs are more important to her than any other dogs on the planet. If you harm one of their dogs though...................
View Quote

Correctomundo!!It is a felony to harm an LEO dog but it is o.k. for them to shoot your dog(wrong house no less!!!)

LEO, or anyone for that matter, storming my house(wrong house) + harm of any kind to my dogs = dead thug, LEO or otherwise.
BTW  am not anti-LEO. I am anti-thug whatever your chosen proffesion.
View Quote
Phoenix5, you try and pull that stunt if an LE shoots your dog and your lifespan will be measured in nanoseconds. I love my dogs too, but you got to draw the line somewhere. Shoot that cop and get yourself killed, where does that leave your family?
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 12:53:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Family?? What family??
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Phoenix5, you try and pull that stunt if an LE shoots your dog and your lifespan will be measured in nanoseconds. I love my dogs too, but you got to draw the line somewhere. Shoot that cop and get yourself killed, where does that leave your family?
View Quote

Yes, the best thing to do is to use your cell phone and autodial 911.
Link Posted: 7/21/2001 11:53:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 12:01:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Just another case of one cop covering other cop's mistake.  No wonder so many people here feel they way do about cops.  Myself included.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 1:05:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sue!  Take them to court! (See below)

There's no question that Andrew Burnett, the world's most famous dog killer, should be punished.

He got 3 years in the slam! For killing a dog.
View Quote

Be careful of what you wish for;  you might get it.

From a David B Kopel article quoted at [url]http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg09693.html[/url]:
In October 1992, in Louisiana, a Japanese exchange student named Yoshihiro Hattori went into the wrong house on the way to a Halloween party. The homeowner's wife screamed for help and the homeowner drew his .44 pistol and yelled for the student to 'freeze!' Not understanding the American idiom that 'freeze!' means 'Don't move or I'll shoot', the student continued
advancing towards the homeowner. The homeowner pulled the trigger and shot him dead.
View Quote

Some of the things that the papers didn't bother to mention (no doubt these were irrelevant little details) were that the Japanese student was doing dance moves, which the homeowner interpreted to be "martial arts moves", and that the student's friend was dressed as an "accident victim", wearing bloody clothing -- in other words, the homeowner thought that the Japanese kid had just beaten the crap out of someone else, and was now coming after the homeowner just for the hell of it.

The homeowner was subsequently acquitted, on the grounds that he reasonably feared for his life.  So, he didn't serve jail time.  But there was a subsequent civil case which he lost, costing him $600,000 or thereabouts -- I don't know if this was changed on appeal or not.

All because he "feared for his safety" and fired.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 1:07:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Oh -- almost forgot -- Hattori got shot after he and his friend went to the wrong address.  Too.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 1:23:49 AM EDT
[#24]
right on critter fr
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 2:43:36 AM EDT
[#25]
I have friends that this has happen to.for those of you in the Cincinnati area this happen in elmwood.while my friends were at work their neighbor called the police about their dog barking in the backyard.when the police arrived,they broke down a heavy wooden gate to get into the backyard,at which time the dog,whom they knew was in the yard attacked taking a good size chunk out of one the leo's leg.his partner then put six shots into the dog,killing it.the officer with less flesh on his leg then before he broke down the gate now starts to worry about rabies, never minding all the tags hanging on the collar.decide to cut the dogs head off to have it tested.
 now imagine you coming home from work only to find your gate broken and your beloved dog decapitated.you call the police to report this ,not knowing that it was the police themselves who were the cause of this.when they arrive you are ticketed for not containing your pet.if that's not bad enough,two months later they're sued by the bitten brave officer for pain and suffering and emotional destress.they lost in court also.mmk
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 4:26:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
No I don't hate all LEO's.  Have a couple friends in the biz.

I will hate them on a case by case basis.

In this case, F-THEM!

One day, I'll move to Switzerland.

One more thing- You don't fuck with a person's dog.

Dog owners, you know what I mean.
View Quote

I couldn't agree with you more timeport. I am not here to bash cops, but this is just the sort of thing that makes you really question the morals of some LEOs. Maybe to them it was "Just a dog"... whatever that means. If it was [b]my[/b] dog, I personally would be either getting some major ass-kissing from these bastards, or I would be finding each one, on my own time, for my own personal revenge. Sorry if that sounds like a bit too much, but that's the way I feel.

Tyler
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#27]
4 months ago, Middle Tennessee, Sherrifs make a planned raid on a suspected dealers house.  

Final result, one dead citizen who was trying to protect his family from what appeared to be a home invasion.

Wrong House, the detectives planning the raid gave instructions to the house next door to the suspected location.

Dynamics change when it's not a dog.  This sucks and no amount of cash award is going to bring back that man.  Neither is any amount of apologies.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#28]
[b]No I don't hate all LEO's. Have a couple friends in the biz.[/b]

I do, i don't have no use for cop's whatsoever
there cocky errogant, and useless. when they get a hold of a badge something happens to there ego's. iam shure there are really good cops out there i just have not seen any yet.
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 2:45:53 PM EDT
[#29]

As posted by: Imbrog|io

The deputies, who were looking for a man accused of forging a
$3,000 check, reportedly felt threatened by the black Labrador
retriever.
View Quote

The 2nd paragraph say it all.

Why are we allowing the police to perform a "Dynamic Entry" for someone accused of forgery!

[b][size=3]Who here doesn't believe we live in a POLICE STATE! [/size=3][/b]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 3:19:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/22/2001 4:49:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Can someone here please explain to me why Police Officers are allowed to fire on dogs they feel are a threat but yet this same type of threat is routinely used by departments all over the country? I dont get it. They send in a damn mean dog and if the perp attempts to protect himself from this threat and the dog is killed........well you know the rest. This really stinks. Yet another thing that is grossly wrong in our current society.
View Quote

Use of K9 units is highly effective in terms of manpower. In other words, use of a K9 is a force multiplier. Suspects are more likely to surrender when a K9 is involved.
 As for people shooting K9's, that is specifically addressed in penal law because a person shooting a K9 is most likely doing so to evade arrest.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top