Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2001 6:45:11 PM EDT
Everyone is always talking about SHTF scenarios, and what they will do, what they will use, what they need to have, and so on.  I have got to ask.  Do you fantasize about having the SHTF?  I imagine that most just want to be prepared, but I think some of us will be more than happy if it actually happens.  How many of us have seen "The Postman" and wished it could happen?  Just asking.  I was just curious if people like to train, and practice for that kind of scenario, and who wants to lock and load.  I love to shoot my AR, and like shooting paper, and hunting.  I just don't think(hope) I will ever have to use it for protection.  Now, I live in Wyoming, so I probably have my head up my ass, so don't flame me too much.  I just keep seeing these threads about "...what pistol for SHTF", "... how much ammo to store for SHTF", and on, and on, and....on.  I have got to think that most of us own an AR's and other firearms for more than just SHTF scenarios.  If not, that's ok with me, I just had to ask.
guns762
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#1]
i love you..
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#2]
No.
But,I MUST tell all of you a DARK SECRET of mine....

THE VERY REASON I THOUGHT OF BUYING AN AR-15 IN THE FIRST PLACE....

I watched the 1992 remake of "Night of the Living Dead" it was frightening,and at the end,a group of red-neck hunter dudes come into this house and open up on the zombies.The leader of the vigilante patrol was armed with....an AR-15.After watching that movie on DVD,I thought to myself "this house has too many windows!!!"
:)
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 6:51:30 PM EDT
[#3]
No, I definately don't fantisize about it, in reality it wouldn't be much fun.
But I do like being prepared. With the way things are going these days, it's not bad policy.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 6:52:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I have absolutely no fantasies about a SHTF scenario.

Dodging bullets and killing people isn't my idea of a good fantasy.

Now as far as MY fantasies go, they usually involve me on some beautiful remote South Pacific island with about a half dozen Penthouse Pets to keep me company. Of course this remote island has ALL the amenities 1 guy and 6 drop dead beautiful women could ever dream of.[img]www.bestanimations.com/Humans/Sexy/Sexy-02.gif[/img]

Link Posted: 6/13/2001 6:53:12 PM EDT
[#5]
as my screen name suggests, i am a survivalist, i prepare for whatever happens (hopefully) when i talk of SHTF please note that this is what i see in our near future, i hope and pray that i am wrong, but in case i am right i will continue to prepare.

but thats personal oppinion, if the battle comes to me i will fight it..

freedom at all cost...
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 7:02:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I watched the 1992 remake of "Night of the Living Dead" it was frightening,and at the end,a group of red-neck hunter dudes come into this house and open up on the zombies.The leader of the vigilante patrol was armed with....an AR-15.After watching that movie on DVD,I thought to myself "this house has too many windows!!!"
:)
View Quote

Then you must watch Dawn of the Dead. It's about two SWAT guys and two friends taking shelter in a mall from the zombies, but not until they unleash their AR-15s on every zombie they see. That's what sold me. (though in the movie they actually use some kind of dedicated 22LR ARs) When people ask me the tired question "What do you need that for?" I always reply "You'll be the one who's sorry when zombies are eating your brains!"
[frag]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 7:12:40 PM EDT
[#7]
DUDE,I own both on DVD,fucking awesome movies.
ATTENTION EVERYONE HERE>>>>>
DAWN OF THE DEAD IS ONE OF THE DEFINITIVE AND MOST REALISTIC "SHTF" MOVIES EVER MADE!!!
BUY THE DVD!!!!!
seriously guys,the movie PERFECTLY REPLICATES a world taken hostage by a plague,which makes the dead come to life.The movie takes place about four weeks after the initial outbreak.Panic is widespread,and the military,along with vigilante militia units have been mobilized.The movie features realistic news reports,which as the movie goes by,become less and less professional,as the staff deteriorates.One of the opening scenes feature the Philly SWAT unit,armed with ARs and shotguns,as the advance to clear out a apartment building.The basement of the building has been used as a dumping ground for the recently killed.The SWAT unit gets down there....
All you SHTF dudes MUST watch this film.It really does a good job at making you feel like it's "really happening"
as the priest in apartment building #107 said to the elite squad of troops
"Many have died,past week,on these streets.In the basement of this building you will find them.You,are stronger then us.....but soon I think,they be stronger then you."
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Not enough cute women in "The Postman".

What we need is a good post apocalyptic movie where only a few dude lived and all the gals are babes.

Now that'd be a decent fantasy.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 7:17:26 PM EDT
[#9]
For all the info on the Living Dead films check out:

[url]www.homepageofthedead.com/[/url]

Some of the fan fiction is pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:34:23 PM EDT
[#10]
No
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#11]
[img]www.homepageofthedead.com/films/dawn/memorabilia/brochures/12_6.jpg[/img]

[img]www.homepageofthedead.com/films/dawn/memorabilia/brochures/12_3.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 9:23:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Hell No!                   But just in case be prepared.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Dawn of the dead was an ok film, but i personally would have carried alot more mags for my M16. in some of the scenes the swat officers shoot with their left hand on the carry handle, not a sign of a trained cop. a great precursor to "Resident Evil". another thing i would have done is loaded up on all of the .22lr ammo and a scoped rifle to play "sniper" on the rooftop to thin the ranks of the undead.

As far as SHTF goes, i dont "fantasize" about it at all, but does'nt mean i have not put some thought into it. i personally believe such a thing will never occur unless there happens to be a riot in the area where you live. if i caught wind of a coming riot i'd pack my car and take a "vacation" somewhere out of the area. of course bringing my most valued possessions along.

Hunter of the dead lib
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 10:26:15 PM EDT
[#14]
depends on which shtf you are talking about.

if it is the ascencion (sp?) - when all the good cristians get taken up to heaven by god. and looser pagans like me get left behind?  nothing.  maybe my lawn chair and some popcorn to watch all of them get sucked up by a giant vacuum cleaner (holy one of course) into the sky.  then go to their houses - especially mormons - as they will have the best food and weapons stored up.  then have a pagan sex party with all the hot french women that are left behind.

steve

seriously - according to hopi prophecy only those "who remember the old ways" will be saved.  how you interpret that is my personal interpretation.  i love to vacuum.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 10:43:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I think that an armed and educated populace keeps the shit from hitting the fan.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 10:47:39 PM EDT
[#16]
There are so many evil and mean people in the world that hell is filling up fast and you know what happens when there isn't any room left.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 10:49:06 PM EDT
[#17]
tell me! (please, sir, thank you of course!)

steve  
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
There are so many evil and mean people in the world that hell is filling up fast and you know what happens when there isn't any room left.
View Quote

They take over the bodies of the world leaders, band together in a "new world order", and enslave the mortals for kicks?

Link Posted: 6/13/2001 11:13:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I have to admit, I've thought along those lines before. My imagination is awfully profuse at times. After a particularly bad day at work I sometimes almost wish for something to happen. Most of the scenarios end in me dying a particulary nasty death(reality starts creeping in). I think everyone should prepare for hard times the best they can afford to, and hope things never really get to a SHTF stage. SHTF may never happen, but floods, famine, earthquakes, tornadoes, etc. do. Besides, who goes around throwing shit at fans anyways.[:D]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 11:18:25 PM EDT
[#20]
No, just concerned about it. I'm prepared to a point, but will continue to prepare for possible degrees of forced increasing self sufficiency. Reasonable answer, eh?

BTW, for a good post-apocalyptic read, intelligent, but not overly technical, check out Gordon R. Dickson's "Wolf and Iron". Survival in the worst case SHTF scenario, though since The protagonist (wisely) avoids cities, he doesn't feel the brunt-at least not in a urban combat style. A good yarn, one of my faves.

Juggernaut[%(]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 11:21:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Whoever hopes for this shouldn't be allowed to own guns. What kind if a fucking nutcase fantasizes about this. [%|]

Being prepared is one thing...it's quite another to sit at home hoping for it. Besides, Murphy's Law says you're going to be the first one dead anyway for whipping out a gun. Remember the scene from Boogie Nights in the donut store when the guy tries to rob it and some goober whips out a gun...first one dead.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 12:01:09 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't fantasize in the sense of looking FORWARD to (or thinking there's something cool about) living on the run, fighting for my life, and harvesting extra ammo from the bodies of dead JBTs.

However, I do plan for and think about such things on a regular basis.  I don't train for bambicide, as I never expect to be attacked by a deer.  I prepare to deal with the kind of target that's most likely to try to interfere with my personal or collective right to life, liberty and property.

I do keep the Minuteman concept alive...my most essential gear is packed for rapid movement.  I can be on the road in <5 minutes with weapons, ammo, MREs, camo, and other useful stuff.

I guess I would get some satisfaction about having SHTF and being more prepared for it than 99.9% of people.  I do feel I have a certain responsibility to myself and my country (or at least to the principles upon which it was founded). If the US is going to be overrun in a worst case scenario, I'm resolute that I would rather die as a warrior than as a slave.  I'd call it more of an "acceptance" than a "fantasy".

On the other hand, I spend plenty of time in politics and similar causes, trying to keep the S as far from the F as possible.  Dying at a ripe old age after a good life with my wife and kids would be far more fun, and a lot less work...

- Dave
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 12:29:56 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't know if a SHTF scenario would happen in my lifetime, but a Los Angeles scenario COULD be much more likely.  As for the fantasizing, I think the more we put into being prepared, the more we wonder if we really are.  Then we may wonder what it would be like if "it" did happen.  Did we plan wisely enough?  Maybe there is a small portion of ourselves who wants "it" to happen, just to test our own wisdom and preparedness. I'm no whacko, and I would be perfectly happy if "it" never came, but a small piece of me wonders if I could make it through "it", like some rite of passage.

In any event, most of us on this site pride ourselves not only on our weapons and (to a lesser extent)other survival gear, but also on our skills and resourcefulness, and that is what will really carry us through "it", or make sure that "it" never happens in the first place!

BTW (for fun) [bounce]

[>:/] Umm, I don't know if a .22LR has enough knockdown power to take out a zombie. Besides, you need to hit them in the head? [thinking]

Stick with your AR and all the mags you can tote.  Never hurts to bring a shotgun and sidearm either. Shotguns (in the movies)are usually the best "zombie slaying" weapons [;)]

Then again, there's always the good old [chainsawkill]

I love living dead movies, too!
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 1:10:35 AM EDT
[#24]
I heard "Night of the Living Dead" and "Dawn of the Dead" Is based on a true story.
Actually Just kidding thought we could all use a luagh. I know I luaghed when I saw this entered a discussion on AR-15.com .

Six
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 3:14:21 AM EDT
[#25]

BTW (for fun) [bounce]

[>:/] Umm, I don't know if a .22LR has enough knockdown power to take out a zombie. Besides, you need to hit them in the head? [thinking]

Stick with your AR and all the mags you can tote.  Never hurts to bring a shotgun and sidearm either. Shotguns (in the movies)are usually the best "zombie slaying" weapons [;)]

I love living dead movies, too!
View Quote

the .22lr is not for combating with the zombies, but to have some fun target practice on semi-moving targets [}:)] if i were to really hunt the dead with a rifle it would be an AKM in 7.62x39mm, a .357sig or .45acp in any reliable handgun and of course a pistol griped 12 guage scatter master [}:D]

in the movie the survivors find a gunstore in the mall, all gunstores stock up on .22 rimfire ammo, so may as well put'em to good use.

Hunter of the dead lib
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 6:35:32 AM EDT
[#26]
No fantasy but a life and death nightmare.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 6:46:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Although I don't see a nation wide SHTF scenario coming to pass, I can see your point in being prepared for a local event.  I'm glad I don't live in a large city like L.A.  The R. King riots seemed pretty scary.  I suppose those of you who live with such problems really do need to prepare to the extent that you do.  
guns762
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 7:10:54 AM EDT
[#28]
You know SHTF is a touchy subject.

Which direction is the fan rotating?
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:30:06 AM EDT
[#29]
yes,the SWAT guy did look stupid aiming his AR using the handle.But,in the movie,things have gotten sooooo bad,that ANYONE can join the SWAT or military,alot of the SWAT guys in the assault on the projects are really young and inexperienced,and one even shoot himself in the head after going crazy.
I think the ARs were ment to be ARs,not .22 conversions,I think they just messed up and showed us the scene with Peter loading the bottom of the mag....Actually,those ARs are dedicated movie guns,which only fire snaps.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:32:18 AM EDT
[#30]
 Do nightmares count?  
 Seriously, those of us who prepare for emergencies, would be remiss if we did not plan for the ultimate emergency.  'Fantasize?'  On rare ocassions.  Life IS much simpler when your concerns are limited to your next meal, and living to see the sun rise tomorrow.  Those who have fought in protracted infantry combat will understand.
 The thought of surviving by running, hiding, and killing others has little appeal.  I wouldn't want to live in a world like that.  But I sure as he!! wouldn't want to DIE in a world like that either.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:38:17 AM EDT
[#31]
oh yes,you may remember while  other characters seemed to suck with the firearms,Roger Delmarco (SWAT guy) was an former marine according to the script,which maks sense,since in the movie he is a great shot with his AR-15,too bad he gets bitten.
"I need lighter fluid"
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:50:57 AM EDT
[#32]
my first answers were somewhat tongue and cheek - realistically we are most likely condemmed to a life of slow social decay and mediocrity - most likely we will be wiped out by a super virus brought on the greed of corporate drug companies, to which we have no defense as they pump our entire food system with antibiotics and chemicals that destroy us from within

steve
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:57:37 AM EDT
[#33]
I think yall's skills for fighting the 'undead' are lacking. Everybody who watches the classics knows that in addition to the mandatory assault rifle you need a double barrel shotgun, a chainsaw, a baseball bat and a really large kitchen knife and highly flamable substances to make cars explode and buildings demolish.

So shop smart, shop S Mart and restock those SHTF/BOB bags to be prepared for EVERYTHING![:E]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 9:19:47 AM EDT
[#34]
those that fantasize about SHTF dont have children or loved ones and are basically sick and demented.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 9:22:35 AM EDT
[#35]
...and are still all bummed out about Y2K being a bust.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 9:24:09 AM EDT
[#36]
BRAINS!!!! GIVE ME BRAINS!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#37]
As a young boy I was interested in history and would watch with morbid fascination the footage of the Nazi death camps. At some point I resolved that I would NEVER submit to such an outrage and thus began a long fascination with firearms. I justify the large number of firearms I posess as "extras", to be given to the neighbors if events called for it. A group of neighbors, all armed, would be a greater deterrent than any one man alone.
"In unity there is strength" -Aesop
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 11:36:16 AM EDT
[#38]
When people ask me the tired question "What do you need that for?" I always reply "You'll be the one who's sorry when zombies are eating your brains!"
[frag]
View Quote

LOL...can I use this?

peace!
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 1:03:33 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm with the guys on the living dead stuff.

I can sense those damn zombies getting ready to come out of the graves already. That's why all the doors and windows in my house has security bars on them.[:)]

Guess I've been playing too much "Resident Evil" on my playstation too.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 2:28:44 PM EDT
[#40]
I have been around when people were shooting at other people and I do not like it so I fantasize about other things. My favorite is where I wake up one day and every single politician and bureaucrat on the face of the earth has turned into a hamster.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 2:40:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My favorite is where I wake up one day and every single politician and bureaucrat on the face of the earth has turned into a hamster.
View Quote

It's already happened in California, where every politician is a SQUIRREL.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Sometimes when life gets dull & tedious, a Red Dawn scenario runs through my head. In reality, I know, Katusha rockets would turn me into a blood mist before I got into posistion, but in my dreams, I fight for my family and country.

BTW,I think things have been flowing along a little too smoothly. America has been too lucky for too long.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#43]
B27,

What do you have against hamsters?
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:45:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Posted by Kihn
-----------------------------------------------
I think yall's skills for fighting the 'undead' are lacking. Everybody who watches the classics knows that in addition to the mandatory assault rifle you need a double barrel shotgun, a chainsaw, a baseball bat and a really large kitchen knife and highly flamable substances to make cars explode and buildings demolish.

So shop smart, shop S Mart and restock those SHTF/BOB bags to be prepared for EVERYTHING!
------------------------------------------------

Posted by Urbanrifleman:

Stick with your AR and all the mags you can tote. Never hurts to bring a shotgun and sidearm either. Shotguns (in the movies)are usually the best "zombie slaying" weapons

------------------------------------------------

My's skillz be good
[kill]

Ditch the kitchen knife and ballbat, You need a big-ass propane torch, some propane tanks (to throw, then shoot), and a copy of "Improvised Munitions Handbook" [;)]

[pyro]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 9:21:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Major Murphy:
...and are still all bummed out about Y2K being a bust.
View Quote

You mean that it's safe for me to come out of my bunker?  

Oh well...  There's always Y3K !
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 9:23:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Hey, clean up your language.  It is a Poop Hit The Fan fantasy.  

Oh, BTW it is a premonition not a fantasy.

[heavy]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 9:27:04 PM EDT
[#47]
It's bound to happen sooner or later.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 9:36:43 PM EDT
[#48]
I was kind of upset Y2K didn't happen. I mean come on, riots in the street, looters, moving targets. Planning out a tactical escape path to get your family out of the city, holding down your land against would be killers and thieves. My, what what movies have done to warp my mind. Wouldn't it have been great though. Military spends their time practicing war games waiting for something to happen. Doesn't it suck when nothing happens? Don't you feel ripped off? Nothing but PT & war "games". Actually putting skills to use makes you feel like it had meaning.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top