Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2001 5:59:28 PM EDT
I often go to auctions around here that are either billed as gun auctions or have guns listed on the bill.

It seems to bring the dealers out of the woodwork. I have never seen a true bargin go at one although I keep hoping? Seems everything goes atleast what it is worth genrally a little to alot more.

Today as an example, an M1-Garand went for 475, I could of had it for 500, but I couldn't tell alot about it. Also could get one CMP for that too.

Others were.. Colt AR Delta w/alluminum case went 1400, FN-Fal went 900

So anyone ever got a deal this way or am I fishing for the impossible catch?

Link Posted: 2/11/2001 6:09:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/11/2001 6:25:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I once went to a sherrif's dept seizure auction where all of the guns were going at or above retail.  I still managed to get a deal when two boxes of reloading eqquipment came up to the table.  Around 20lbs of IMR powder, scales, trimmer, funnels, loading blocks, Pacific single stage press, two case deburring tools, primer pocket cleaning tool, trickler, DILLON RL 450 complete, and probably a few other misc. items I don't remember from around 6 years of forgetting.  I got it all for $125.00.  I was always proud of that deal.
Link Posted: 2/11/2001 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I have found that my best purchases have been made in what I call "opposite conditions".

For example, at a collector's show there was a guy with a table full of SAA, minimum price was about 3K.  In the middle of the table was a stainless Walther PPK/s,new in the box.  I brought it home for $250.

Problem is these situations are the ones you remember because they are so rare....SRM
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 2:57:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Local sporting goods went out of business. Got 43 boxes of .30/.30 at $3.25 per box and a dozen pairs of Converse Chucks at $3 each...
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 7:32:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I gave up on auctions 15 or so years ago. And just for the reason DK-PROF stated. Dem dam ol' farmers were bidding $150 for some other farmers well used 10/22 with a $15 scope on it.

I could go to Wal-mart and get the same setup for $100.

The best deals are at yardsales. But you have to go to many before you find things. Usually you will get a bargain, though.

Holy cow, did I just give away my secret hunting hole?? [BD]
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't know about good or not,but I won(?)2 auctions last week.First was a used Marlin 336 in 30/30 listed as excellent condition.Cost just over 200.Second auction was 2 30/30's a Marlin and a Winchester.NEW.Got both for under 500.Didn't plan on getting the second auction.Entered a bid guessing the bid price would go higher.But it didn't.Have scanned the prices for an ar15 and I have yet to see any competitive with Gunsmoke Enter.Will evenually get one.
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 7:05:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Last year I bought a PRE-Ban Bushmaster for $700 at an online auction. I coulld not believe it my self, lucky I guess. Was still kinda weary of the deal but it arrived as advertised.
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 6:16:07 AM EDT
[#9]
YEP!

At the last gun related auction we went to, we picked up a NIB Colt 20" AR for $700.

* Oops...  I forgot to mention it was a [b]PREBAN[/b]. This is not an uncommon deal either, in the middle of a duck hunting community where if it doesn't say "Browning", nobody knows what it's worth!
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 7:18:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#11]
First and last auction I went to, gril I was dating at the time Wanted to go to auction out in the sticks, we get there, it's raining, she wants to bid on some furniture, wait all day in the rain, stuff she wants comes up for bid, she bids $250.00, that lasted about 10 seconds,stuff goes for about triple that,I told her when we got in the car not to ask me to go again....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top