Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2001 11:32:25 AM EDT
Hey guys, I have a chance to get a Bushmaster preban with the 11.5" barrel and 5.5" flash suppressor. Question is, has any one had any experience with this style of upper ? how do they shoot, how accurate. I'ts on a A1 upper and has a tele stock, alo has never been fired!!
any ideas on what i'ts worth?
Thanks all...
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#1]
They are LOUD!!!!!!!

It looks pretty cool,
not much "punch" past 100yds.
but thats what you get with a carbine.
Alot of powder that doesnt get burned up inside the barrel,hence the need for a long flash
suppressor on the originals for the military.
Supposidly they are coming out with a faster
burning powder so it will have more velocity
at those ranges,however accuracy will still suffer.

Some will laugh at it,but hey its your gun.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh,yea if you never messed with the 4 position
colp.stock you might find it a little uncomfortable,its easily remidied{at least for me} with a rubber slip over buttpad,I can't
remeber the brand that used to be on one of my old Ar's but I think they are in the Bushmaster catalouge.They go for about 15 bucks I think.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#3]
they do look cool, but one, you giving up a pre ban feature, and you have to have 16 in hanging off you gun, so you might as well fill it with something usefull
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 12:22:07 PM EDT
[#4]
You'ld be better off swaping that upper for one that actually uses all 16" of the barrel.

The 11.5 inches of barrel on that upper, as others have stated, isn't long enough to burn all the powder in a 5.56 shell. Since your rifle MUST be at least 16" long anyway, you might as well be able to utilize all 16" to maximize your carbines effectivness.

The power loss with an upper like the one you describe, in my opinion, is in no way a fair trade off for a "cool" look.

If it's only going to be a short range gun, I guess you could keep it, but why limit your rifles abilities? Especially a carbine.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#5]
If cash is limited and you want something more practical,then swap uppers/trade in for another upper.But if you got the money I would just buy
the upper you think is more practical and
save the CAR upper NIB.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 6:09:52 PM EDT
[#6]
My pre-ban Bushmaster started out as a 11.5'' with 5.5'' flash hider "shorty".
It was LOUD and the bullets were slow  !
55gr.FMJ would not penetrate some steel plates we were shooting at. My friends POS SKS was boring holes through...
I went back next time with a 20'' Colt HBAR and showed him! the 20'' cut right through. This was years ago.
Later I got an M4 upper for it and like it much better.
If it's a real pre-ban and the price is OK, get it.
You can easily swap barrels.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top