Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2001 7:57:45 AM EDT
I just installed the DSA scope mount on my new STG58.  I really haven't had a chance to read up on it very much, or the opportunity of firing it yet.  I'm sure there is a simple solution, but I haven't seen the trick just yet.

What is the bolt/carrier hanging up on as I slide it back into the receiver?  It goes about 90%, and then stops.  I had it out a couple days, and all of a sudden it magically dropped.  Didin't quite notice what the trick was though.

I had a few problems reassembling my Ruger Mark II at first, but it is simple nowadays.  I tried turning the fal upside down, muzzle downward, muzzle upward, etc.  No luck in the last 5 minute.

I'll probably "luck" it in the next time I pick it up, but I would like to know what exactly to look for the next time.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 8:03:44 AM EDT
[#1]
My STG58 is very tight.I have the same problem.
I just push on the tail with my thumb.As you msoot it I would think this would become less of a problem.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 8:05:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 8:12:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Cope and Paul how are the triggers on your 58's.
Short of the AR10T and Supermatch mine is the best I've ever seen on a auto.

Mine hangs up there to if you don't push the bolt up in the carrier.Mine also hesatates just before locking up.Not when firing just by hand.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 8:16:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 8:16:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 8:19:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 8:20:31 AM EDT
[#7]
20 minutes later.....Still Going.......

I see where it is hitting now, but I can't seem to get it to clear yet.  

If you push the bolt all the way into the carrier, it won't go into the receiver past 80%.  If you pull the bolt forward out of the carrier, it will at least go 90%.

Looks like the trick is to get the bolt to go back into the carrier after you pass the 80% mark and before you reach the 90% mark.  

Still going........
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 8:32:47 AM EDT
[#8]
cope-

do yourself a favour and sell the dsa mount and source yourself an a.r.m.s. unit - they slide on and off with now screws, simple rail tension like the original top cover.  bushmaster, cfi and entreprise i believe have them instock.  they run about $150 - but it makes the rifle easier to clean and you can actually fire the sucker...... no little screw or plates to misplace or lookse.  instant access to your chamber area.  plus it's every bit as solid as the dsa type.  if you are not shooting past 600 meters i doubt you will ever know the difference.  i think that is worth the extra $50 yes?

steve
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 8:38:00 AM EDT
[#9]
SHAZAAM!  

I got a flashlight and looked really closely at the locking plates.  It appeared that the right front plate was ever so slightly skewed outward at the bottom.  I loosened that particular plate, pushed it back tight against the rail with a tooth brush, and retightened the screws.  I had my doubts that is was sticking out all that far, but evidently it was.  Simply turn the rifle upside down after reaching the 80% insertion point, and the bolt falls right into place. [^]

hang on a sec.....

Yep, it worked again.  Piece of cake. [^] [^]

Thanks gang.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 8:46:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 8:51:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Now ya tell me, Steve.  I thought I had read every single crumb of info related to the purchase of this particular rifle before hand.  I don't recall hearing about a better option than the DSA mount.  The screws do seem kinda cheesy, and I can see where it would become a pain in the butt to remove every time you have to clean it.  

When I saw the special price of the DSA mount, I added it to my order at the last minute. Just couldn't overlook the $68 price tag.  It is a nice hunk of metal for the price, but it would definitely be sweet to be able to slide it off and on like the original cover. If I experience any problems with this mount, I will definitely look into the ARMS unit.  

Anyone experience the screws loosening after a few hundred rounds?  The locking plates do seem fairly fragile/brittle.  Seems like I remember Beer Slayer breaking on on his first cover.  

Thanks for all the dandy feedback.  Who needs Falfiles anyway?

Cope

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top