Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:17:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jwr6:

I'd be a drunkard too if I had to kill the fuck out of non-combatants via starvation to break a nation's will to fight as well, but Sherman was a rote amateur at killing civilians compared to the average WW2 bomber wing commander.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jwr6:
Originally Posted By _DR:
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
Who the hell is Sherman Tecumseh Sherman?

Legendary drunkard and murderer of noncombatants, no matter how you say his name.

I'd be a drunkard too if I had to kill the fuck out of non-combatants via starvation to break a nation's will to fight as well, but Sherman was a rote amateur at killing civilians compared to the average WW2 bomber wing commander.

...    Mao Zedong
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:18:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HeckThomas] [#2]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
Some people need to reflect on the nature of fucking around and finding out.
View Quote

Conclusion: A Govt that will unleash total war on it's own citizens but never apply that practice in any war fought since. Apparently the lives of our foreign enemies are worth more than our own citizens.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:26:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By HeckThomas:

Conclusion: A Govt that will unleash total war on it's own citizens but never apply that practice in any war fought since. Apparently the lives of our foreign enemies are worth more than our own citizens.

View Quote

TIL dropping a nuke on two cities isn't total war.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
Fucking lol.

Japan had an entire generation wiped out, with cities reduced to ash by napalm and nuclear fire, and they still whine less than Southerners.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Shinji_Ikari:
Yeah, we still hurting from that sum-bitch.
Fucking lol.

Japan had an entire generation wiped out, with cities reduced to ash by napalm and nuclear fire, and they still whine less than Southerners.

The Carthaginians whine even less.      I wonder why?

Maybe people should evaluate Sherman by the historical standards of war for most of human history.

We are now in the warm and fuzzy, politically-correct era.   I welcome a lot of the modern humane standards.

However, Sherman was living in the previous era.   The world had different standards back then.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By HeckThomas:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:48:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:

TIL dropping a nuke on two cities isn't total war.
View Quote

Seems like people forget about Tokyo, Hamburg, and Dresden as well.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By tc556guy:
I'd be keeping that in the family if it was something from a famous relative. Some people just see Dollar signs, I guess
View Quote

I'd like to think I'd donate the more historically important pieces to an important museum.  I didn't add it all up, my SWAG is the auction raised close to $500,000.  That's a lot to ask of someone to pass up for family or history.  The various copies of books personally owned by the famous aren't necessarily important to preserve for history if they've been reproduced and available elsewhere.  Some are still in print; Grant's, Sherman's, and Sheridan's memoirs can be had cheap from Dover publications.  Any personal notations in them are unique, a historian would be interested in them of course.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:01:25 PM EDT
[#8]
What happened at the Andersonville POW camp is a big reason why Northerns hated the South for many years after the war.  But no, let's just sweep that under the rug and pretend it didn't happen.  Sure.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:29:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By spmx7777:

Corrected.  Happy now?

Oh look, a southerner that doesn't like General Sherman.  Boo hoo.

GEN. SHERMAN'S NYC ADDRESS, 1878 $4700

View Quote

I'm not a southerner , but I don't like him because I don't like war criminals.

He should have been tried and executed after the war .
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:37:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I love a good fire sale.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By trails-end:

America rebuilt Japan.  The north sent carpet baggers to fuck the South for multiple generations.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By trails-end:
Fucking lol.

America rebuilt Japan.  The north sent carpet baggers to fuck the South for multiple generations.
Yeah. Multiple generations. Sure.

Which hurt worse:
-Reconstruction policies?
or
-an agrarian society that had a huge swath of its labor pool instantly removed by emancipation?

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:54:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By leatherneck1903:

Why don’t you come on down here…boy?

Lee marched through Maryland and Southern PA. Several Confederate raids into the northern states. How many reports of raping, looting, and burning resulted? None
View Quote

Lol, wut? Jubal Early's men burned Chambersburg, PA to the ground when they failed to pay a ransom. Confederate agents tried to burn NYC to the ground but failed. In 1861 Stonewall Jackson had advocated for a southern March to Lake Erie, but he never got the chance.

“Crossing the Upper Potomac, occupying Baltimore, and taking possession of Maryland, we could cut off the communications of Washington, force the Federal government to abandon the capital, beat McClellan’s army if it came out against us in the open country, destroy industrial establishments wherever we found them, break up the lines of interior commercial intercourse, close the coal mines, seize and, if necessary, destroy the manufactories and commerce of Philadelphia, and of other large cities within our reach; take and hold the narrow neck of country between Pittsburgh and Lake Erie; subsist mainly on the country we traverse, and making unrelenting war amidst their home, force the people of the North to understand what it will cost them to hold the South in the Union at the bayonet’s point."
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 4:16:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Rock Master Scott & the Dynamic Three - The Roof Is On Fire
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TheRealBluedog:

Tell everyone how much you hate general Curtis LeMay.  I bet you can’t stand George Patton?
View Quote

You've got your timeline and geography mixed up.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:13:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By colklink:

It belongs in a museum. To honor the greatest American to have ever lived.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/toast_gif-994.gif
View Quote
agreed, but there will be a ton of butthurt in this thread.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:20:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By AngryNagant:
It's a necessary evil.  Shouldn't be celebrated nor demonized IMHO.
View Quote

This. Very much. That's what that man understood, and pleaded with the south to consider.

If, God forbid there is another Civil War, and I participate, I would expect no quarter from the enemy. I would not expect monuments to be erected for my side if I lose.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:34:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Dino:
agreed, but there will be a ton of butthurt in this thread.

View Quote

There is. There always is. We rightfully insist that certain demographics get over slavery, it's been over for 160 years or so. But, the union finally pulling its head out of its ass and actually engaging in total war, a war the south started, brings on massive butthurt.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ExtraHardTaco:

That's real rich coming from someone in MA. I bet you've never even seen a black person let alone live around them
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ExtraHardTaco:
Originally Posted By ottodog8:

Tell that to the slaves.

That's real rich coming from someone in MA. I bet you've never even seen a black person let alone live around them

You’ve never left rural GA have you?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By colklink:

There is. There always is. We rightfully insist that certain demographics get over slavery, it's been over for 160 years or so. But, the union finally pulling its head out of its ass and actually engaging in total war, a war the south started, brings on massive butthurt.
View Quote
I wonder if all the perpetually butthurt would burn Hitler's/Mao/whomever's things. I'm hoping instead they would be a source of reflection, as Sherman's things should be.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Some interesting items in that auction.

Sherman was the "nuclear bomb" of the civil war.  Everywhere he went he left a wake of destruction.  He would not be denied.  In retrospect, he shortened the war and probably saved some lives - on both sides.

God bless my brothers on both sides of that horrible conflict.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:13:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By VectorX:

Maybe people should evaluate Sherman by the historical standards of war for most of human history.

We are now in the warm and fuzzy, politically-correct era.   I welcome a lot of the modern humane standards.

However, Sherman was living in the previous era.   The world had different standards back then.

View Quote

Rome was not trying to reunite Carthage with the empire and live with its people for the next however many centuries. Sherman's actions were strategically expeditious but they undermined the ultimate political aim of the war.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:32:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By CavScout:
I wish the collector guy would buy that then burn it all on national television.
View Quote

Yup

Fuck that guy
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:38:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#23]
What happened at the Andersonville POW camp is a big reason why Northerns hated the South for many years after the war.  But no, let's just sweep that under the rug and pretend it didn't happen.  Sure.
View Quote

Funny. Reminds me a lot of Camp Rathbun.
Camp Rathbun at Elmira, N.Y., where thousands rebel soldiers died of disease and cold. Known among its 12,000 inmates as “Hellmira,” the camp posted a mortality rate of 25 percent.

But of course it's not politically correct to make a feature film out of that one, is it.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:51:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I’m glad the Sherman House Museum was able to raise the funds to get the sword.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:02:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Aspida1776:

If I won the lottery, I would make this dream come true. Fuck him and Lincoln.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Aspida1776:
I wish the collector guy would buy that then burn it all on national television.

If I won the lottery, I would make this dream come true. Fuck him and Lincoln.

Same.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:04:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By TowerTasteless:

How Islamic of you.  Anyone willing to destroy history, be it good bad or indifferent, is scum of the earth.
View Quote

But Sherman gets a free pass for everything he destroyed?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:10:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By von_landstuhl:
I’m glad the Sherman House Museum was able to raise the funds to get the sword.
View Quote

If you’re serious where did you see that announced?  The museum isn’t very far from me, I’ll drive there and have a look once it’s on display.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:13:45 PM EDT
[#28]
If you’re serious where did you see that announced?  The museum isn’t very far from me, I’ll drive there and have a look once it’s on display.
View Quote

Both the Fairfield County Heritage Association and the Sherman House Museum Facebook pages.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:13:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Camp Rathbun at Elmira, N.Y., where thousands rebel soldiers died of disease and cold. Known among its 12,000 inmates as “Hellmira,” the camp posted a mortality rate of 25 percent.

But of course it's not politically correct to make a feature film out of that one, is it.

View All Quotes

And that’s part of the reason the south hates the north. See, there’s plenty of hate to go around for everyone.

No one is stopping that film from being made.  Heck, I’d watch it if it was well done.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:16:43 PM EDT
[#30]
I don’t know the bid history, but the museum may have been in a bidding war with Lancaster native and former football player Bobby Carpenter.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:20:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Fucking lol.

View All Quotes
Fucking lol.

Well the Japanese were in the wrong. We don’t say much till Yankees start talking out their ass.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:30:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By crazymoose:

Rome was not trying to reunite Carthage with the empire and live with its people for the next however many centuries. Sherman's actions were strategically expeditious but they undermined the ultimate political aim of the war.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By crazymoose:
Originally Posted By VectorX:

As I understand it Sherman’s March was primarily directed towards destroying infrastructure as a means to end the war as quickly as possible. Pretty smart actually, if you can’t defeat the military defeat the country. Kinda what the USA is facing from today from China. Anyway, Sherman kept it up as long as the south kept fighting, and then some. The south could’ve surrendered at any time.

Sherman told Lincoln he would take on the south as long as Lincoln didn’t interfere with his military decisions. Lincoln agreed and Sherman took full advantage of that. He wanted the war to end as fast as possible and his strategy followed that logic. He wasn’t looking to kill as many southerners as possible. The southern death toll would’ve been much higher if that was the goal.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:36:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By TEXASROOTERSBROTHER:

Well the Japanese were in the wrong. We don’t say much till Yankees start talking out their ass.
View All Quotes
Fucking lol.

“We don’t say much till….”

If southerners on here could go two days without bringing up the civil war I’d probably die of shock.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:37:09 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

A war criminal.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:39:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Kalashnikov762:

A war criminal.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kalashnikov762:

A war criminal.

Also a winner.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:46:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By von_landstuhl:
I don’t know the bid history, but the museum may have been in a bidding war with Lancaster native and former football player Bobby Carpenter.
View Quote

Very cool. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:57:02 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

You too can own the matches that burned The South!

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:29:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: crazymike1973] [#38]
Originally Posted By Ranxerox911:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/xkQAAOSwH21fR8rG/s-l400.jpg
View Quote

The "south" you're poking fun at doesn't exist anymore. Hasn't for a LONG time. "Gone With the Wind" was fiction. Atlanta, Memphis, Birmingham, etc are and have been shitholes for at least 3 generations. It SHOULD make everyone here sick just as much as Detroit, Chicago and NYC turning into shitholes. But by all means lets shit on each other about what happened over 150 years ago.

ETA: This is what ya boy fought for.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:49:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By bob6012:
That's my home town General!

To hell with the haters.
View Quote
Lancaster, Ohio?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 5:51:34 AM EDT
[#40]
An all powerful overreaching centralized government ran by nefarious powers. Enjoy your victory!

If one has the personal initiative and intellectual capacity, please read The Corwin Amendment and Lincoln’s statement about it, then get back with me about slavery.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 5:56:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By jDrexler:

If southerners on here could go two days without bringing up the civil war I’d probably die of shock.
View All Quotes
Fucking lol.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:41:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By crazymike1973:

The "south" you're poking fun at doesn't exist anymore. Hasn't for a LONG time. "Gone With the Wind" was fiction. Atlanta, Memphis, Birmingham, etc are and have been shitholes for at least 3 generations. It SHOULD make everyone here sick just as much as Detroit, Chicago and NYC turning into shitholes. But by all means lets shit on each other about what happened over 150 years ago.

ETA: This is what ya boy fought for.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/439676/download__7__jpg-3215474.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By crazymike1973:
Originally Posted By Ranxerox911:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/xkQAAOSwH21fR8rG/s-l400.jpg

ETA: This is what ya boy fought for.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/439676/download__7__jpg-3215474.JPG

JFC.  Can't even make a tasteless joke without offending a snowflake.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:09:09 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

So you’re good with tearing down statues of confederate generals and renaming Army bases, right?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:09:40 AM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

I drove past Andersonville going to the farm the other day.   Andersonville was bad but one thing about Andersonville, is that Commander Henry Wirz was tried and hung for his actions.  How many from the North were held accountable for atrocities?  

I am not excusing Wirz's actions or any others who committed atrocities.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:13:55 AM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:15:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By NotMrWizard:

So you’re good with tearing down statues of confederate generals and renaming Army bases, right?
View Quote

Ohbutthatsdifferent.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:39:40 AM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

13,000+ or 28% of the Union soldiers held at Andersonville died due to deplorable conditions and cruelty.

This tit-for-tat, north vs south argument is poor form given none of us were alive during the war. For whatever reason people seem to want to preserve animosity more than the actual history.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By leatherneck1903:
An all powerful overreaching centralized government ran by nefarious powers. Enjoy your victory!

If one has the personal initiative and intellectual capacity, please read The Corwin Amendment and Lincoln's statement about it, then get back with me about slavery.
View Quote
Well, you could have had a third world country with legally protected and guaranteed slavery that would have been economically broken by the industrialization of other nations.

It certainly would not be a bastion of liberty.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:25:37 PM EDT
[#49]

There is no difference.  Both are emotionally driven temper tantrums from immature people.
View All Quotes

There is a big difference between buying something to destroy it and destroying let’s say a Robert E Lee statue standing in a public square.
One is principle putting your money where your mouth is and the other is terrorism.

There is no difference.  Both are emotionally driven temper tantrums from immature people.

Well, that is just a low post count trolls' opinion. Paying for and destroying something is not a temper tantrum it is a calculated move putting one's money where their mouth is.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top