Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:24:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tc556guy:

In that instance your anger should be directed at the politicians who ordered the police to stand down, the politicians who said that rioters needed space to loot, DAs who wouldn't prosecute offenders, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By QueenKabooky:

Please spare me your condescending attitude.  You have no idea who I am or where I'm coming from even though I only just recently joined this forum.  You only have to witness the lack of police protection for the innocents that were maimed or worse killed, businesses looted and burned down during the 2020 St. George Floyd mayhem.

In that instance your anger should be directed at the politicians who ordered the police to stand down, the politicians who said that rioters needed space to loot, DAs who wouldn't prosecute offenders, etc.

Ah yes, the old "Just following orders" line.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:26:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Justice23:
So if there is an actual argument occurring how do the police know there were no threats or any actual laws broken without actually performing an investigation?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By criley:
Originally Posted By TAG_Match:

Why do the police hold the position that they need to investigate a MAYBE argument?

They don't get to investigate actual arguments, short of threats or breaking the peace/noise ordinance violations.  An actual law needs to be broken otherwise it's a consensual encounter.  If no laws are broken they have to leave your property when you tell them to go.
So if there is an actual argument occurring how do the police know there were no threats or any actual laws broken without actually performing an investigation?

Holy shit.  I can't believe how backwards this post is.  

How are they to know there's no law being broken?  Well, if they don't have constitutional authority to override the clear trespassing warning then they will just have to go on with their life not knowing.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:29:37 AM EDT
[#3]

View All Quotes

Please spare me your condescending attitude.  You have no idea who I am or where I'm coming from even though I only just recently joined this forum.  You only have to witness the lack of police protection for the innocents that were maimed or worse killed, businesses looted and burned down during the 2020 St. George Floyd mayhem.

Did the politicians order cops to kneel for blm?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:39:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TAG_Match] [#4]

View All Quotes

Who should I be mad at and/or fear for arresting/stopping the citizens that attempted to or did defend themselves and property from the mobs?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:41:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

You aren’t supposed to notice how they’re bought and paid for.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#6]

That will depend on your state laws and how they are worded, and which statutes are included as a DV offense and which ones have a mandatory arrest attached to them.
In NYS a verbal dispute, or simple harassment, is a DV offense. The battered beavers made sure to include low hanging all-encompassing penal law sections like that when they drew up their list of DV offenses in the 90s.
View Quote

In Texas we had to pass a law to enable kids to legally operate a lemonade stand.  Sounds like New York probably requires you to pull a permit to argue with your teenager.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:09:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BMSMB:

If they thought a domestic violence situation was occurring, wouldn't they have the exigent circumstances to enter the house... and wouldn't they have done just that... instead of standing around in front if the house?
View All Quotes
Serious question .And while the police are performing their knock and talk at the front door, in a place they are lawfully able to be, if they reasonably suspect a crime is occurring or just occurred, are they legally able to continue to investigate that potential crime?
How is it any different than plain view doctrine?

If they thought a domestic violence situation was occurring, wouldn't they have the exigent circumstances to enter the house... and wouldn't they have done just that... instead of standing around in front if the house?
They were still investigating  exactly what was occurring when people started resisting  detainment and obstructing.
So they didn't bust in like gangbusters and since everyone came outside didn't have to force entry and that's a problem?
And I don't think we know if they ultimately went inside since we don't have the complete video. Since what they seemed to believe was an involved party was able to be detained on the porch they didn't have to force their way in initially,  then it went to shit with people resisting and obstructing.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:15:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BMSMB] [#8]
They were still investigating  exactly what was occurring when people started resisting  detainment and obstructing.
So they didn't bust in like gangbusters and since everyone came outside didn't have to force entry and that's a problem?
And I don't think we know if they ultimately went inside since we don't have the complete video. Since what they seemed to believe was an involved party was able to be detained on the porch they didn't have to force their way in initially,  then it went to shit with people resisting and obstructing.

View Quote

Get that BS out of here... if they had heard "domestic violence" they wouldn't have been standing by the jeep when the owner ran out and told them to leave his property.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:17:17 AM EDT
[#9]
So I did finally farm enough clicks from GD that I bought a raptor yesterday. I'm naming it, "Stop Resisting."

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By LawyerUp:
So I did finally farm enough clicks from GD that I bought a raptor yesterday. I'm naming it, "Stop Resisting."

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/277223/7A4164F9-E976-41E8-9C70-A6ABB23024CB-3215618.jpg

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes
Serious question .And while the police are performing their knock and talk at the front door, in a place they are lawfully able to be, if they reasonably suspect a crime is occurring or just occurred, are they legally able to continue to investigate that potential crime?

And then the cops committed violence on everyone.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:13:34 AM EDT
[#12]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/277223/7A4164F9-E976-41E8-9C70-A6ABB23024CB-3215618.jpg

View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:27:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7empest] [#14]

View Quote

You and your civil righting isn't no good for no society!

Why do you want the anarchy????

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:30:01 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

Unbelievable.

Two people are standing on a street corner.  How do the police know there isn't a drug deal going on if they don't investigate?

Person is driving down the road.  How do the police know the car isn't stolen if they don't investigate?

Two men pull in to the driveway of a home.  How do the police know it isn't a home invasion if they don't investigate?

According to your threshold, the police can stop anyone anytime and "investigate" their actions.

That's known as a police state and you don't want that.

Or you shouldn't.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Unbelievable.

Two people are standing on a street corner.  How do the police know there isn't a drug deal going on if they don't investigate?

Person is driving down the road.  How do the police know the car isn't stolen if they don't investigate?

Two men pull in to the driveway of a home.  How do the police know it isn't a home invasion if they don't investigate?

According to your threshold, the police can stop anyone anytime and "investigate" their actions.

Or you shouldn't.
View All Quotes

Unbelievable.

Or you shouldn't.

It’s not unbelievable.  The police have lobbyists that promote laws to violate our civil rights.  It’s been going on for years.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:37:36 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

We really need a like button.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Imzadi:

Did the politicians order cops to kneel for blm?
View Quote

lolz, evidently so.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:04:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:06:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Plank_Spanker:

How the fuck does a vehicle idling in a private driveway elevate to a call to 911?
JFC watch the vid again.
View Quote

911 calls over minor things happen all the time.
Given the way they're acting I wouldn't be surprised if there are people in their neighborhood are watching them looking for anything to report them for.
The officers didn't act like the people at the home were frequent flyers, but I be those people aren't getting along with their neighbors.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:18:26 PM EDT
[#22]

The officers didn't act like the people at the home were frequent flyers, but I be those people aren't getting along with their neighbors.
View Quote

Or the neighbors are Karens.
But I'm thinking >50% chance you're right here.

And with Airman Fortson, >50% chance he got swatted by Karens.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:20:19 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

🤣🤣🤣🤣 love it & keep it up.

STOP RESISTING, PUT YOUR HANDS UP (after suspect shot 5x).
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:36:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Congratulations John!
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:48:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlaskaJohn] [#26]

View Quote

Is that your Revolutionary War fort (the house) in the background?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:21:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By AlaskaJohn:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlaskaJohn:

Yes. I'm still hoping to open it up for a day or two this spring for people who want to tour it. But so far I keep getting too sidetracked.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:28:56 PM EDT
[#28]
I love those video's.

Subbed and thumbs up !
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:45:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Reported for idling in driveway.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:47:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Yes. I'm still hoping to open it up for a day or two this spring for people who want to tour it. But so far I keep getting too sidetracked.
View Quote

I was going to make a joke about the castle in the background... I didn't realize it was actually your home though!
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:56:13 PM EDT
[#31]

I was going to make a joke about the castle in the background... I didn't realize it was actually your home though!
View All Quotes

No I actually live like a mile down the road. I just own and maintain that place for two farm cats who live there. Apparently.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

From following his videos/twitter, I think it's more of a dramatic escalation of his acquisition of historical stuff.  Like all problems, it starts with small trinkets, then next thing you know you're buying land with forts on it.

You know, I'm sure. It's a normal problem to have.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:58:33 PM EDT
[#33]

No I actually live like a mile down the road. I just own and maintain that place for two farm cats who live there. Apparently.
View Quote

They must live like kings!
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 2:21:09 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Don't leave it running or park it just over the property line of your neighbor.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

What are you going to name it, Fort Catnip?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#36]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/277223/C4A60ECA-6EF9-44F7-A625-F16B59082BDA-3215657.jpg

View Quote

Am I reading that correctly, at the bottom of the display?  "Don't Stop Believin'"?

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:36:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By SuperHeavy:

Lol, I know that's directed at me. Read all my responses you know damn well who side I'm on.

Trying to shut the lady up by saying " I run this house" and trying to get her inside quickly is a bit suspicious. Whatever his intentions were, he chose the wrong thing to say. All he had to do was tell her not to talk to them and ask them to leave again.

Sketchy ....

"What is the synonym of sketchy?"

coarse crude defective depthless imperfect introductory outline scrappy shallow slight uncritical unfinished.
View Quote

You're going into the land of omniscience, you have no idea why he said that and to call it sketchy is showing your own negative bias towards the man.

You may look down on the guy but he is the man of HIS house, he asserted that he is the man in his home because he needed  to get her attention.

I took his words as STFU right now and don't say another word because talking to police is always a bad idea and in this case not talking to police was also a bad idea.

Telling someone to STFU IS NEVER a pretty thing, it's always going to be ugly and sound "sketchy" especially if the outsider listening is soft or sees the person saying it in a negative light already.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:41:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By PepePewPew:

What are you going to name it, Fort Catnip?
View Quote

I had actually built them a really cool fort of their own. It was heated and everything. But then fucking coyotes got in there awhile back and killed two out of the four.

Now just the Japanese bobtail and the black one are left. The bobtail is smart af and knows how to climb to where the coyotes can't get him.

But the black cat can't. And so I close them in the garage every night now and let them back out every morning. And now they're quite spoiled.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:46:40 PM EDT
[#39]

RIP George...

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:52:07 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

Orders are orders. Am I right?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#41]

I think I smell pot.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:59:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2xtap] [#42]
I would just send this money shot to the media.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:15:10 PM EDT
[#43]
We could balance the national budget by having these fine officers patrolling the truck stops at night in the winter to ticket all the idling semis who are required by law to stop for breaks.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:39:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DubyaB] [#44]

Pretty nice ride! Congrats
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#45]

Given the way they're acting I wouldn't be surprised if there are people in their neighborhood are watching them looking for anything to report them for.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Plank_Spanker:

How the fuck does a vehicle idling in a private driveway elevate to a call to 911?
JFC watch the vid again.

If you look up the YouTube account mentioned in LawyerUp's video, you'll see a decent amount of interaction with the local police. Skinny guy is featured.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:56:27 PM EDT
[#46]
The dude actually sent me links to all the rest of the body cam, but I haven't had time to watch it yet.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By haveTwo:

Well, he might have figured that the more time he spent interacting with government thugs, the more danger he was in.

So a hearty "go the fuck away" and retreat to minimize the chance of them doing something evil.

Again, normalize telling the government to go fuck itself.

I don't expect people to be civilized to the government.  Damned if the government is polite when it fucks me over.  They are still fucking me with no personal responsibility.
View Quote

My cousin is likely to become a district commander of a major metropolitan police department, and we talk about bad cops, civil rights and stuff all the time.  He's an absolute boy scout, with no tolerance for shit birds.  I bend over backwards to be helpful to cops, when it is warranted.  When they are in the wrong, (and they have been, with respect to me), I let them know it in no uncertain terms.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:01:09 PM EDT
[#48]

Either what they see rises (objectively) to the level of exigent circumstances, or voluntary consent to remain, or they get a warrant. If you recall a few years ago, the government tried pushing a "community caretaking" exception to the warrant requirement, which would have added a third exception to the warrant requirement. But the SCOTUS shot it down, saying it was just something that falls w/in the exigent circumstances exception, if it does. Exigent circumstances as an exception is still pretty broad. But there has to be some immediate reason they have to act now, rather than go get a warrant and come back. This is sometimes applied to the flushing drugs concern scenario, which is sort of tied in w/ the plain view doctrine. They knock on the door, see drugs everywhere and people scrambling, I'm sure one could articulate a concern that evidence would be destroyed prior to a warrant being obtained.

"Investigating," rather than taking immediate action to act on an exigency is exactly what they're not supposed to do. Except within the confines of a knock and talk, which is of course allowed, so long as they're not asked to leave.

Then you have the issue of where you draw the line w/ the curtilage, which can vary by circuit, and possibly be something a jury needs to decide. But the front porch/threshold will always be curtilage. I've seen cases where driveway is not included, depending on the layout of the home.

But remember that warrantless search/seizure in the home/curtilage is presumptively unconstitutional. So the burden is on the government to prove an exception applies. I think a common sense policy of just asking yourself, is there any reason we can't get a warrant first, is a good one. Because even if you find evidence and seize it, it very well may get suppressed. And getting warrants seems way too easy in most places anyways.

This same shit applies when the ATF or FBI shows up at your door. They're not gonna tell you you can tell them to leave. They're gonna "investigate" until you ask/tell them to leave. Enforcing the 4A protections of the home should be a core goal of preserving/enforcing the 2A, and freedom in general. The exigent circumstances exception SHOULD be a high standard. Could judges allow bullshit excuses? Of course.
View All Quotes

@yankee43

I know you're a yankee, and you already know everything already, but here I'll teach you something....

Either what they see rises (objectively) to the level of exigent circumstances, or voluntary consent to remain, or they get a warrant. If you recall a few years ago, the government tried pushing a "community caretaking" exception to the warrant requirement, which would have added a third exception to the warrant requirement. But the SCOTUS shot it down, saying it was just something that falls w/in the exigent circumstances exception, if it does. Exigent circumstances as an exception is still pretty broad. But there has to be some immediate reason they have to act now, rather than go get a warrant and come back. This is sometimes applied to the flushing drugs concern scenario, which is sort of tied in w/ the plain view doctrine. They knock on the door, see drugs everywhere and people scrambling, I'm sure one could articulate a concern that evidence would be destroyed prior to a warrant being obtained.

"Investigating," rather than taking immediate action to act on an exigency is exactly what they're not supposed to do. Except within the confines of a knock and talk, which is of course allowed, so long as they're not asked to leave.

Then you have the issue of where you draw the line w/ the curtilage, which can vary by circuit, and possibly be something a jury needs to decide. But the front porch/threshold will always be curtilage. I've seen cases where driveway is not included, depending on the layout of the home.

But remember that warrantless search/seizure in the home/curtilage is presumptively unconstitutional. So the burden is on the government to prove an exception applies. I think a common sense policy of just asking yourself, is there any reason we can't get a warrant first, is a good one. Because even if you find evidence and seize it, it very well may get suppressed. And getting warrants seems way too easy in most places anyways.

This same shit applies when the ATF or FBI shows up at your door. They're not gonna tell you you can tell them to leave. They're gonna "investigate" until you ask/tell them to leave. Enforcing the 4A protections of the home should be a core goal of preserving/enforcing the 2A, and freedom in general. The exigent circumstances exception SHOULD be a high standard. Could judges allow bullshit excuses? Of course.

Game, set and match.  The cops that said things along the lines of "this is just business as usual in the big city" should take notes.  You guys make it very very hard for us to respect you.  At least I still have my cousin to talk to, when I want to see what a cop is supposed to be and how they are supposed to act.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:04:37 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

Why, you got something to hide?

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top