Good luck finding that fucking rail.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:
Originally Posted By -Ascent-:
My buddy just bought an M1A scout because of this video

This one is better. It’s low enough to co-witness with a small red dot like a vortex viper.

https://ultimak.com/product/m8/
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Attachment Attached File

I like mine. Fun rifles to shoot
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a M1A SOCOM on a whim, as it was 1200 bucks delivered from PSA, and came with 2-3 mags and a free scope mount which I sold for 60 bucks or so.

It's a good gun.  Reliable, handy as it's short top to bottom compared to an AR, short overall with the 16" barrel.  Some say it's blasty with the muzzle brake, and it may be, but I wear plugs and muffs all the time so it doesn't bother me.

I put a Sig Romeo 5 on the scope mount, and it rules the plate range, hitting anything I point it at.

Personally, I think they're better without the all the stuff on them, like GT has - the laser, the light, the Pez dispenser on a 1911 rail, etc.  Just put a red dot on it for bad eyes and accuracy, and call it good.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:13:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MallNinja531] [#4]
Originally Posted By Mars87:

Sir I don’t know how to say this, but I want to stare and handle your wood.

That stock is incredible.
View Quote

Thanks! You can handle my wood anytime! I've never once taken that gun to a range where someone didnt come up and comment on that stock. It's quite the attention grabber.

Originally Posted By Southernman077:

You bought truck nuts for your gun? WTF?
View Quote

Ya know, I've posted pictures several times with that in the background waiting for someone to comment on that and you are the first one to ever say anything. Well done! That was actually a gag gift I won at a 3-gun competition. I have a picture somewhere with them hanging off the AR I used that day. Haha.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:13:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M1A4ME] [#5]
Got mine in 1978 after deciding I wasn't going to risk trying to "lose" my M14 during field training.

We talked about that a lot on those cold nights out in the woods but I don't know anyone that ever tried it.

Carried that M1A for years deer hunting in WV.  I could carry the Rem. 742 and never see a buck.  Carry the Browning BAR Gd.2 and never see a buck.  Carry the 03A4 and never see a buck.  Take the M1A and that day or the next a buck would walk out of the woods/brush for me.  We used to joke about it.  The bucks were "curious" what kind of funny looking rifle that guy over by the tree was carrying.  I used to practice at 300 and 600 yds. on those reclaimed strip mines in western Greenbrier County.  Never shot a deer farther away than 100 yds.  They seemed to just come my way.  165 grain Sierra spitzer boat tails sitting on IMR4895 powder.  Never had to shoot a deer twice.

Mine is the one on the bottom.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

A guy I knew in the Army bought an M1A Scout and put an MRO on it. He shot nice, 2-3" groups at 100 yards with it.

I haven't heard anything bad about the Springfields, except I think there were issues with receivers cracking. I haven't known anyone who had an issue with them, personally.
View Quote

It wasn’t the receivers, it was the bolts, and more specifically the extractors. IIRC they got a bad heat treat.

People like to harsh on the cast receivers SAI uses, but I’ve never heard of one failing.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:24:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Nick_Adams:

Replace janky commercial parts with USGI parts. Then add a suppressor and tune the gas system with a Schuster adj. M1A plug.

Then you can be Johnny Strong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxd3jziqkAE
View Quote

DSC_0521-M1A Can by FredMan, on Flickr

DSC_1634-M1A Schuster Plug by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Pantexan:
Anybody shot a tanker ?  Accuracy ?  Felt recoil ? https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/prodimages/89381-DEFAULT-l.jpg
View Quote

There was a dude with the SOCOM version a few lanes down from us a while back. That thing was freaking LOUD! I could feel it in my teeth. The guy shot about 5 rounds and was done.
I have the Scout/Squad and it didn't seem that bad. I want the Paratrooper next.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:28:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raygixxer89] [#9]
Originally Posted By feetpiece:

FIFY. The factory brake should come with an apology and coupons for hearing aid batteries.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By feetpiece:
Originally Posted By Pantexan:
Originally Posted By 03RN:  I just want a tanker. I don't want to mess with it at all
Anybody shot a tanker ?  Accuracy ?  Felt recoil ? https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/prodimages/89381-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Light recoiling and very enjoyable to shoot in the open with double earpro.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/188236/1000014224_jpg-3213725.JPG

FIFY. The factory brake should come with an apology and coupons for hearing aid batteries.

ETA: The brake was as obnoxious as the Winchester BOSS brakes. Remember those? Damn!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
M1A thread!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/138374/1650907624848-2361560.jpg
View Quote

Jeebus that’s a huge pig. Hope that ain’t running our VA woods.

Though I do see pigs from time to time in the woods.

Usually near the hole in the fence around the pig pen.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:30:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Every time his 1911 video with Johnny Cash playing in the background gets suggested, I carry my 1911.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By raygixxer89:

His video on the ptr91 helped to persuade me to buy it.

Every time his 1911 video with Johnny Cash playing in the background gets suggested, I carry my 1911.

Lol, nice!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:30:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By sic_ness:

Me gusta

What are you using as far as mounts/thread adapters?
Any difference in the gas plug?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sic_ness:

Me gusta

What are you using as far as mounts/thread adapters?
Any difference in the gas plug?

Here is my thread on the setup. I have a 22" loaded with a YHM mount, a socom with the SEI mount, and a tanker with the defunct brand. All with cross drilled spindles to reduce the gas.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Springfield-M1A-Tanker-Suppressed/6-549838/
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:40:57 PM EDT
[#13]

There was a dude with the SOCOM version a few lanes down from us a while back. That thing was freaking LOUD! I could feel it in my teeth. The guy shot about 5 rounds and was done.
I have the Scout/Squad and it didn't seem that bad. I want the Paratrooper next.
View Quote

I don't have that experience with mine, and I'm not a fan of blast.  I find my FAL more blasty than the SOCOM.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:49:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MallNinja531] [#14]

View Quote

I've gotten comments when shooting my Socom 16 from the guys on either side of me at a covered outdoor range. From the shooters perspective it's really nothing outrageous, but off to the sides gets pretty blasty. Whenever my buddy gets out his shuffs mini-G in 30-06, I grab my Socom and we begin trying to rattle each other's brains out. His is worse, but I can rattle off 20 to his 8. It's always good for a laugh. The guys on either side of us usually put their stuff on the bench and step back.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:53:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By macman37:
…and just like that, M1As became cool again…
View Quote

Thanks OP!! I bought my scout last year and freaking love it. So much more than the standard m1a I had a decade ago, I’ll watch this soon!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:59:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By GI-45:
Liberals are scared of any gun with a detachable magazine.

View Quote
fixt
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:09:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 1stID:

I don't have that experience with mine, and I'm not a fan of blast.  I find my FAL more blasty than the SOCOM.
View All Quotes

I guess it depends on where you're standing. Plus, the range had railroad ties about 5 ft up and then the roof. Made it loud.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:10:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought a basic/stock M1A in 1996 and still love it.

It had a black stock that took spray paint very well, as a black stock just seemed wrong.

Later on I put a GI walnut stock on it because that is how it should be.

My dad carried an M-14 in Vietnam, so a big part of the rifle is the history of it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:10:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By MallNinja531:

I've gotten comments when shooting my Socom 16 from the guys on either side of me at a covered outdoor range. From the shooters perspective it's really nothing outrageous, but off to the sides gets pretty blasty. Whenever my buddy gets out his shuffs mini-G in 30-06, I grab my Socom and we begin trying to rattle each other's brains out. His is worse, but I can rattle off 20 to his 8. It's always good for a laugh. The guys on either side of us usually put their stuff on the bench and step back.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MallNinja531:

Damn, lol.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:10:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: davidb1982] [#20]
Love my SOCOM. Wish I could find a black stock for it though. Mine came with the kryptek.

EDIT: scratch that. I want a wood stock and I’d like to get rid of the rail on top.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:14:33 PM EDT
[#21]

I guess it depends on where you're standing. Plus, the range had railroad ties about 5 ft up and then the roof. Made it loud.
View Quote

It's probably a lot worse for others than the shooter.  So just buy one and then you're the giver, not receiver!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:21:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Dude doesn't look anything like he used to. What's going on with that?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:22:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Wobblin-Goblin:
Dude doesn't look anything like he used to. What's going on with that?
View Quote

Whole milk.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:28:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
I watched that last night at work. I was going to start a thread but I figured someone must of already done.

I think I'm going to shoot my M1 this week.
View Quote

Mine should be coming in the mail this week.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:33:52 PM EDT
[#25]
If anyone needs something to fill the hole in the stocks, reach out
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:35:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Maybe one day people will realize that it wasn't the best rifle, but it was/is a damn good rifle that killed a shitload of bad guys.

And it's just fun to shoot.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:48:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By yamahawarrior89:

What magnifier are you using, any issues with eye relief? Do you use a cheekrest?
View Quote

Aimpoint 6x arisaka mounts for both t2 and and magnifier. The eye relief is decent, especially if you take your time, but you can still flip it to the side and just go t2 if you need to. My cheek riser is the same as the ak, a towel folded, wrapped in medical tape, then wrapped with 3m horse bandage.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:50:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By firedog51d:
fixt
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By firedog51d:
Originally Posted By GI-45:
Liberals are scared of any gun with a detachable magazine.

fixt
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:52:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigFatDog] [#29]

Guess I need to drag this one out and do some stuff to it. I’ve got the ARMS mount what Aimpoint do I want?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:54:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dennis1979gm] [#30]
Always wanted an M1A growing up. Couldn't afford or justify the price back then. Found out my wife was pregnant with our son in the salad days of 2018... Bought me and my unborn son a collection of all barrel lengths. We both have a 22", 18", and 16". Didn't pay over $950 for any of them. Glad I did. They are fun to shoot and put a smile on my face every time I take one out. He will have everything he will ever need and won't know his mom and I are ramen noodles his fist two year after he was born... Lol total worth it. You should see his AR10 and AR-15 collection... Lol
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:54:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By BigFatDog:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83325/IMG_4855-3213865.jpg

Guess I need to drag this one out and do some stuff to it.
View Quote

Hell yes.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:20:34 PM EDT
[#32]

Hell yes.
View All Quotes

Guess I need to drag this one out and do some stuff to it.

Hell yes.

It’s been sitting in the safe for years waiting on Vltor to release some stocks without the selector cutout. Maybe this video helped or maybe it made things worse. As someone else said, I certainly won’t feel bad about putting holes in it for a cheek riser. No time like the present…

What are the go to upgrade parts and what do I need to suppress it?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:25:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By davidb1982:
Love my SOCOM. Wish I could find a black stock for it though. Mine came with the kryptek.

EDIT: scratch that. I want a wood stock and I’d like to get rid of the rail on top.
View Quote

@davidb1982

There are  shops, but a GI stock, a GI handguard and undo the allens holding the rail.

I did the same on mine

Here is Fulton's page

https://www.fulton-armory.com/m14-m1a-stocks.aspx
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:29:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By bandanabandit1:
If anyone needs something to fill the hole in the stocks, reach out
View Quote

Are you doing the selector kits?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:31:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RedFox1911] [#35]

Guess I need to drag this one out and do some stuff to it. I’ve got the ARMS mount what Aimpoint do I want?
View Quote

If you take off the VLTOR rail to put the ARMS on DM me, I'll buy it.

And just use an Aimpoint Pro
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:34:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By FredMan:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FredMan:
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
M1A thread!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/138374/1650907624848-2361560.jpg

That was up in Pennsylvania.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:19:56 AM EDT
[#37]
I have a 2 tone 22", wish I had gotten the scout instead
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:24:47 AM EDT
[#38]
SAI Super Match Grade M21, Douglas heavy barrel, Sadlak mount, and Sadlak tactical mag release. Leupold M4 LRT 3.5-10

image hosting

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:08:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Square66:

Nice!  That looks like an old school SA National Match from back in the golden era of GI parts.

I’ve got a double lug match gun built by Derrick Martin at Accuracy Speaks from around that era.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Square66:
Originally Posted By Harv24:
https://i.imgur.com/wx1qIPs.jpg

Jokes on you Garand Thumb, I've been cool since 1994....

Nice!  That looks like an old school SA National Match from back in the golden era of GI parts.

I’ve got a double lug match gun built by Derrick Martin at Accuracy Speaks from around that era.

You Sir...Have an eye for taste, it's a Double lug Super match I purchased new in 1994. and she has a lot of Hirtenberger and Portuguese and British .308 Surplus thru herhttps://www.ar15.com/forums/transfers.html?id=3803&z=7.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:11:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Bestrafen:
SAI Super Match Grade M21, Douglas heavy barrel, Sadlak mount, and Sadlak tactical mag release. Leupold M4 LRT 3.5-10
https://i.ibb.co/pdBHR50/IMG-20240218-081710378-Photoroom.png
image hosting

View Quote

That is a nice rifle
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:51:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By dennis1979gm:
Always wanted an M1A growing up. Couldn't afford or justify the price back then. Found out my wife was pregnant with our son in the salad days of 2018... Bought me and my unborn son a collection of all barrel lengths. We both have a 22", 18", and 16". Didn't pay over $950 for any of them. Glad I did. They are fun to shoot and put a smile on my face every time I take one out. He will have everything he will ever need and won't know his mom and I are ramen noodles his fist two year after he was born... Lol total worth it. You should see his AR10 and AR-15 collection... Lol
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:23:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AbleArcher] [#42]
Originally Posted By cycletool:

This one is better. It’s low enough to co-witness with a small red dot like a vortex viper.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cycletool:
Originally Posted By -Ascent-:
My buddy just bought an M1A scout because of this video

I have the M14CA rail and it's phenomenal.

Attachment Attached File

But if you want the optic set back this ain't your jam and the ultimak doesn't look like it either.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:34:52 AM EDT
[#43]

It's probably a lot worse for others than the shooter.  So just buy one and then you're the giver, not receiver!
View All Quotes

I really like the way they look. I might break down a d get one, after the Paratrooper.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:39:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Toothpicksandkatchup:
Kinda wanna sell keep my Mk12 MOD 0 clone and get me a nice M1A after watching it
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:40:43 AM EDT
[#45]
This thread is going to cost
Me money when I buy more 308
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:57:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Attachment Attached File

I’m in the club. New office gun.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:57:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GDaawg] [#47]
Probably already been discussed but not sure why anyone would choose the scout over regular besides "tacticool".

It's louder, more abrasive when firing, and not as accurate. I don't think anyone is going to be storming an office/home environment with that weapon either so who cares about barrel length reduction. The negatives outweigh the tacticool positives.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:57:48 AM EDT
[#48]
As an FYI , Sadlak makes a nice front rail that keeps the sling mount and allows for a choice of bipods .
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:14:18 AM EDT
[#49]
A funny thing happened with the Illinois PICA that banned ar-15s, and other "Assault Weapons".  A M1A is still legal if it has a muzzle brake, but not a flash suppressor.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:20:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By GDaawg:
Probably already been discussed but not sure why anyone would choose the scout over regular besides "tacticool".

It's louder, more abrasive when firing, and not as accurate. I don't think anyone is going to be storming an office/home environment with that weapon either so who cares about barrel length reduction. The negatives outweigh the tacticool positives.
View Quote

4" of extra barrel can definitely be a pain in the woods.

Why do you think accuracy would be effected?
Page / 5
Garand Thumb - M1A (Page 4 of 5)
Top Top