BCM
User Panel

Garand Thumb - M1A (Page 3 of 5)
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:19:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

That's why the media company he works for gets hired by gun companies, although he does say in the video they purchased the M1A and it wasn't provided to them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Commando223:

There are so many people that buy anything he makes a video on. He's the ultimate person for a company to sponsor in the gun world imo.

That's why the media company he works for gets hired by gun companies, although he does say in the video they purchased the M1A and it wasn't provided to them.

I have to admit I kind of wanted one after watching the video. He does a good job and I enjoy watching his videos. I was surprised to see a lot of the Gun Tubers belong to the same group.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
I really want one of the new tankers. Just a lot of coin
View Quote

I really like mine. Fit and finish is fantastic and it shoots great.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:27:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I tried a shorty version. It worked fine but just wasn’t for me. Decently accurate with the 2x.  I just like the .308 ARs better.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Square66:

Those numbers from Gus seem to coincide with what I remember him saying.   He was a treasure on the other forum.   Sorry he stopped posting.   Hope he is doing ok.  

I also remember him saying they got the M14 competition rifles of the day down to an acceptance standard of a 10 shot group into 2.5” at 300 yards.   This was of course done in a machine rest to eliminate
variables.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By USMCTanker:
FWIW, Retired MGySgt Gus Fisher stated over on the M14 forum that a USGI M14 receiver would last between 400,000-450,000 rds, depending on the manufacturer (he said TRWs last longer than the others).

As for the cast vs. forged debate; I think he said a cast SA,Inc receiver would go for about 250,000 rds before shitting the bed.  

That’s a lot of barrel changes.

Since I don’t foresee spending a quarter of a million dollars on shooting ammo through any of my rifles, I think I’m ok with a quality cast M14-type receiver like Fulton or SA,Inc., even though I don’t currently own anything but forged.  An older 1980s M1A with USGI parts is in my future just to have one.

Those numbers from Gus seem to coincide with what I remember him saying.   He was a treasure on the other forum.   Sorry he stopped posting.   Hope he is doing ok.  

I also remember him saying they got the M14 competition rifles of the day down to an acceptance standard of a 10 shot group into 2.5” at 300 yards.   This was of course done in a machine rest to eliminate
variables.

I always enjoyed reading his posts.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
I have an m14 (okay an m1a-dumb name) in my stack of unfired guns ;p
View Quote

You’re out west now; go shoot it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#7]

There are so many people that buy anything he makes a video on. He's the ultimate person for a company to sponsor in the gun world imo.
View Quote

he does say it has some problems, and its one of the few  guns due to that he will say buy.  he also said part of it is due to it coming largely from the M1 being his favorite.

they have a M21 video planned soon.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:40:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#8]
Originally Posted By country_boy87:

There was a guy trying to qualify long distance with a brand new Springfield in 6.5 creedmoor, north of 8 rounds it started to have an occasional hangfire.  At the 14 round count, every other round was a hangfire.  Sadly he couldn’t qualify that day.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By country_boy87:
Originally Posted By Ark1332:
A Springfield M1A was my first centerfire rifle.  It didn’t always go bang when I pulled the trigger nor leave any indication of a light strike on the primer…

I sold it.  

There was a guy trying to qualify long distance with a brand new Springfield in 6.5 creedmoor, north of 8 rounds it started to have an occasional hangfire.  At the 14 round count, every other round was a hangfire.  Sadly he couldn’t qualify that day.

I've had hangfires.  I know exactly why even, and can repeat it on demand.  But the gun had nothing to do with it - it was weak primers combined with a high-void load.

Aside from some sort of delayed trigger issue, I don't see how the gun can cause a hangfire
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:42:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By somedude:

he does say it has some problems, and its one of the few  guns due to that he will say buy.  he also said part of it is due to it coming largely from the M1 being his favorite.

View All Quotes

The issues are2-4 moa and jams due to a bridged rail
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:59:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By macman37:
…and just like that, M1As became cool again…
View Quote

They were always cool to me.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Yeah, that's what GT said.

I want one, but I want to deck it out as an EBR like what we had in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:03:31 PM EDT
[#12]

One would hope things improved over 50 years later.  

But don’t think the M14 for all its decrepit features doesn’t still work and work very well in the hands of someone that understands the rifle.  They did and they still do.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mblades:
Originally Posted By eurotrash:
Lol no thanks. The SCAR exists.

Objectively better in every way but the M1A is pretty cool, possibly the coolest of the Cold War era battle rifles.

One would hope things improved over 50 years later.  

But don’t think the M14 for all its decrepit features doesn’t still work and work very well in the hands of someone that understands the rifle.  They did and they still do.

I don’t think that at all and my comment wasn’t meant to be disparaging.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:04:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
I have an m14 (okay an m1a-dumb name) in my stack of unfired guns ;p
View Quote

Careful, you’re gonna summon the ghost of LarryG!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:05:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eurotrash] [#14]

You’re probably talking to a wall.  I’d be willing to bet he has experience with neither.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
Originally Posted By eurotrash:
Lol no thanks. The SCAR exists.

I've shot them both.  I'll take an M1A Scout over a SCAR all day long.

Be aware, I'm not talking an M1A.  I'm talking the M1A Scout - it just handles and runs much more pleasant.  I don't like the look, but love the gun.

You’re probably talking to a wall.  I’d be willing to bet he has experience with neither.

Own a SCAR, shot an M1A. Yeah, no thanks lol

I guess if you’re nostalgic for old stuff and have experience behind the trigger, the M1A can be fun. I have range toys too - SP5 and Marlin 1894. The Ohio Ordinance HCAR is on my bucket list for a heavy battle rifle that’s devoid of purpose. I’d rather just save for one of those.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:49:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By superjc:  Fun fact: the California-legal muzzle brake makes the rifle shoot softer, smoother than the slotted  USGI flash hider. But the slotted flash hider turns the gun into a felonious "AsSuAlt weAPoN" in Ca....Old pic: two 100% USGI beauties from the early 1990's
https://i.imgur.com/ta5zmu6h.jpg
View Quote
With no bayonet lugs ?  
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Commando_Guy:
Give ya 750 for it right now.
St. Nicholas
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:57:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Nick_Adams:

Replace janky commercial parts with USGI parts. Then add a suppressor and tune the gas system with a Schuster adj. M1A plug.

Then you can be Johnny Strong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxd3jziqkAE
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:
Popped up on YT this morning and gave it a watch.
I spit coffee everywhere at 5:10.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx0sg1xg7is

Replace janky commercial parts with USGI parts. Then add a suppressor and tune the gas system with a Schuster adj. M1A plug.

He ran a socom in that movie. But the dude has a shit ton of m1a in his real life as well.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:05:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: compuvette] [#18]
Originally Posted By macman37:
…and just like that, M1As became cool again…
View Quote

It never stopped being cool…….

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:08:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By slack_out:

I've wanted one since seeing that movie. If I could get one of these that'd accept a direct thread suppressor, I'd be all over it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By slack_out:

I've wanted one since seeing that movie. If I could get one of these that'd accept a direct thread suppressor, I'd be all over it.

Someone makes, or made, a threaded extension, IIRC.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:11:11 PM EDT
[#20]

I want one, but I want to deck it out as an EBR like what we had in Iraq and Afghanistan.
View All Quotes

I just want a tanker. I don't want to mess with it at all
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:15:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Definitely the worst Garand Thumb video I've seen. "People will buy an M1A and swap out the barrel for something good like a Fulton". Really? Barrels are rarely swapped because they are a PAI to install. Are Fulton barrels even that great.

I know SA, Inc M1As aren't the best, but a standard is pretty comparable to a rack grade M14. 2-3 MOA is pretty dang good for a battle rifle like that.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#22]

I just want a tanker. I don't want to mess with it at all
View Quote

I would want one for nostalgia. Plus they still look futuristic to me.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

I did all of this over 20 years ago. I wanted a suppressed M1a. I have an older Doc Dater designed AWC suppressor and a 90's vintage M1a
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:41:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By 03RN:  I just want a tanker. I don't want to mess with it at all
View Quote
Anybody shot a tanker ?  Accuracy ?  Felt recoil ?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:43:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Liberals are scared of any gun with a detachable magazine.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By RayFromJersey:
I got my SOCOM II because it was fun in Battlefield, and was worried they would come down hard on other "scary" rifles while leaving the M1A alone

I tried to sell it at a shop recently but they wouldn't give me more than $700
View Quote

Hopefully it was just the shop you went to and they were trying to lowball you, though I haven't priced mine in a while. I have the S2 with the extended rail and last I looked it had increased.

If not then guess I'll just suffer and keep it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Pantexan:
Anybody shot a tanker ?  Accuracy ?  Felt recoil ? https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/prodimages/89381-DEFAULT-l.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 03RN:  I just want a tanker. I don't want to mess with it at all
Anybody shot a tanker ?  Accuracy ?  Felt recoil ? https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/prodimages/89381-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Light recoiling and very enjoyable to shoot.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:49:49 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

Underwhelming accuracy, challenges mounting optics, optics can compromise reliability, mags are expensive, it's not easy to suppress, and the rifle costs almost $2k.

There are definitely downsides here.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:50:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Square66] [#29]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:
Definitely the worst Garand Thumb video I've seen. "People will buy an M1A and swap out the barrel for something good like a Fulton". Really? Barrels are rarely swapped because they are a PAI to install. Are Fulton barrels even that great.

I know SA, Inc M1As aren't the best, but a standard is pretty comparable to a rack grade M14. 2-3 MOA is pretty dang good for a battle rifle like that.
View Quote

Fulton has always used Criterion or Krieger barrels, so yeah they are good but pretty much the same barrel you or I can get direct from Criterion.  But yeah your point stands, the average guy isn’t buying an M1A and then saying great let’s swap the barrel!

SA’s quality on the M1A is crap.  It’s steadily gotten worse since the GI parts went away.  I personally had a bad barrel on a Springfield M1A and this was recent.   I don’t know where they get their blanks from (it used to be Wilson) but that wasn’t the issue.  Springfield hacked up the chamber when they cut it and made a giant mess.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:53:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:

Good luck finding that fucking rail.
View Quote

Lol, the second I saw the pics on the gram I tried to buy the one on the EE here. Got beat to it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:57:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By RedFox1911:

Lol, the second I saw the pics on the gram I tried to buy the one on the EE here. Got beat to it.
View All Quotes

I'm sure with the video being out some will pop up for sale. Probably at elevated prices, but I never fault someone for taking advantage of an opportunity.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:02:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MJ11B4P] [#32]

Someone makes, or made, a threaded extension, IIRC.
View Quote

Smith Enterprise Inc. makes a 5/8-24 adapter. Unfortunately, my M1A had poor muzzle concentricity, making for like a 10+ MOA POI shift with a suppressor. That was one of my main motivations for selling that particular rifle and building a PA-10.

Overall, I don’t think it makes for a particularly good suppressor host even with USGI extractors and OpRod. My S.A. Inc extractor liberated itself in short time. I didn’t have any issues with a GI extractor, but I can say it took a LOT of effort to manually extract a case after firing suppressed with the gas turned off. Maybe my gun had issues. It shot really well unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:02:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Square66] [#33]
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:

Underwhelming accuracy, challenges mounting optics, optics can compromise reliability, mags are expensive, it's not easy to suppress, and the rifle costs almost $2k.

There are definitely downsides here.
View Quote

If optics are compromising your reliability with an M14 you either have a crap scope mount or a rifle with a messed up ejector or spring that isn’t right to begin with.  The only quality scope mount that has ever been a problem in this regard is when ARMS fucked up their design and abandoned the old split rail design for a solid rail.  The ARMS is the absolute lowest mount available.  The old mount has zero problems.   I have one.   But when they switched to a solid rail it can cause ejection issues.  Brookfield, Sadlak, Smith, none of the others have this issue.  It was only when ARMS changed their design that there was a problem with SOME rifles.  

As far as accuracy everyone’s AR10 shoots 1 MOA or under on the internet.  If your M14 isn’t under 3 MOA or less on a bad day (I’m being way conservative and pessimistic here) with good ammo like Federal Gold Match there is something wrong with it.  The accuracy is perfectly acceptable for a gas gun and better than most people can actually hold consistently.  

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:06:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I got a Scout and a National Match. Picked up the NM from a knucklehead who had it 3 years and never shot it. He needed the money NOW, so I got it for $900.

Both are fun guns. Love those NM sights
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:13:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Kinda wanna sell my Mk12 MOD 0 clone and get me a nice M1A after watching it
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#36]

Light recoiling and very enjoyable to shoot in the open with double earpro.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/188236/1000014224_jpg-3213725.JPG
View All Quotes

Light recoiling and very enjoyable to shoot in the open with double earpro.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/188236/1000014224_jpg-3213725.JPG

FIFY. The factory brake should come with an apology and coupons for hearing aid batteries.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:21:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Maybe if I was 30 years younger.  At my age I prefer the heft of my AR carbine.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#38]
He has a lot of shit on that rifle.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:33:40 PM EDT
[#39]

Me gusta

What are you using as far as mounts/thread adapters?
Any difference in the gas plug?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:34:46 PM EDT
[#40]
One of the good guys in "The Attack" by Kurt Schlichter uses an M1A SOCOM to excellent effect.  Just that little nudge got me looking at semi-auto .308 rifles again.  There may be an LMT in my collection before long.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:39:01 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By -Ascent-:
My buddy just bought an M1A scout because of this video

He's funny as hell. I like him and have a Scout/Squad. It's a pleasant gun to shoot. I need to get a GI stock as the oem one is kinda thick.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:44:47 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

Ugh.  I remember that movie.  That was some awful gun play.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:45:26 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

His video on the ptr91 helped to persuade me to buy it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:47:42 PM EDT
[#44]

I'm sure with the video being out some will pop up for sale. Probably at elevated prices, but I never fault someone for taking advantage of an opportunity.
View All Quotes

FWIW, when they first came out SA told me they were available as $150 option for non-SOCOM models. That was a few years ago though.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:59:53 PM EDT
[#45]

Jokes on you Garand Thumb, I've been cool since 1994....
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:02:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By user4574:

Hopefully it was just the shop you went to and they were trying to lowball you, though I haven't priced mine in a while. I have the S2 with the extended rail and last I looked it had increased.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By user4574:
Originally Posted By RayFromJersey:
I got my SOCOM II because it was fun in Battlefield, and was worried they would come down hard on other "scary" rifles while leaving the M1A alone

I tried to sell it at a shop recently but they wouldn't give me more than $700

Yeah, I was thinking $1k at the lowest when I went in desperate for some cash. She's no safe queen, but $700? Lmao. Laughed my way outta there.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:02:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By raygixxer89:

His video on the ptr91 helped to persuade me to buy it.
View Quote

Every time his 1911 video with Johnny Cash playing in the background gets suggested, I carry my 1911.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:02:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Square66] [#48]
Originally Posted By Harv24:
https://i.imgur.com/wx1qIPs.jpg

Jokes on you Garand Thumb, I've been cool since 1994....
View Quote

Nice!  That looks like an old school SA National Match from back in the golden era of GI parts.

I’ve got a double lug match gun built by Derrick Martin at Accuracy Speaks from around that era.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
M1A thread!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/138374/1650907624848-2361560.jpg
View Quote

That's a big hawg! Where'd she shoot it, Texas?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#50]
I'd take a plain Jane Tanker ( been on my list for a little bit ) . Would be nice in 358W or 375 raptor though .
Page / 5
Garand Thumb - M1A (Page 3 of 5)
Top Top