Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:38:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Danus_ex] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NoStockBikes:

There’s definitely something to be said for picking and choosing the battles.
View Quote

DIY's mostly about picking battles. I DIY in a number of circumstances:

1. A provider's price and/or timing is way out of line or they will only replace what should be repaired. (Fucking appliances...)

2. Questionable provider quality due to incompetence or, more likely, lack of give-a-shit. (Many home repair/upgrade things)

3. I like the task. (Gunsmithing)

4. The thing in question is a more "intimate" device that I need full confidence in and complete ability to support. (Cars, guns, tools, computers...).

5. I can't get what I need any other way. (Business governance, bureaucracy navigation, in-field research, software, networking, fixtures, tools, adapters, electronics repair, gun parts, eliminating those cocksucking house sparrows, etc.)

#5 crops up a lot if you have any sort of imagination and understand the fundamental principles in a given domain. I like machines and dislike home repair tasks, so I keep finding house shit is way fucking simpler than I first assume.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a pretty shitty craftsman, but most of the time I'm unsatisfied with the work done by the pros, so if it's gonna look crappy, at least I saved some money making it crappy by myself.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:43:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MilHouse-556] [#3]
Originally Posted By adamtheduke:
I legitimately wouldn’t be able to afford a “middle class” lifestyle without improving and maintaining my stuff for myself.
View Quote

Same.

I don't know how people afford to have others do everything for them.

They either make really good money and their time is literally worth that much or they are broke/in debt to have others do everything for them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I do what I can or could reasonably muddle through with help from YouTube.. other stuff I will hire out.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:00:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By tamu94:
Best advice you can give a young man, learn how to use tools and do home/auto maintenance and repairs.
View Quote
We got home from a 3-day trip Saturday. Sunday after church, I see an older Xbox upside down on the dining room table, with the bottom cover removed. My 15-yr old son had pulled the old thing out of a closet and decided to try and fix it with the help of some YT videos. I couldn't have been more proud. I brought over my precision screwdriver set, a multimeter, container for the screws, and coached him through the process of carefully disassembling and removing components. I gave him an intro to the multimeter - resistance, continuity, DCV (cautioned him not to fuck with AC for the time being). He tested the power supply without further instruction from me and determined it was fine. In the end, it still doesn't turn on - likely a bad SMD microswitch, but I was proud of him for actually researching and trying something.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:12:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I legitimately wouldn’t be able to afford a “middle class” lifestyle without improving and maintaining my stuff for myself.
View Quote

Wife regularly comments how much money we save by doing simple stuff ourselves — dishwasher pump, water heater, flooring, attic ladder, electrical, plumbing, etc.

I wish I could weld better
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By midmo:

Also easy to fall into a rut where stuff gets backjammed because you've got aaaalllll this stuff to do, but just can't see paying somebody else to do it when you can do it yourself.  If you get too much piled up, nothing ends up getting done because you're just pecking away at projects in what little free time you have.
View Quote

Originally Posted By HoodyHoo21:
I do most stuff myself, but as others have said, sometimes there is a cost/reward benefit.

I just took my wife Dodge Durango to have the motor mounts replaced. Could I do it with the help of friends? Yes.

But that is a big job and worth the $1k it cost.
View Quote

Yep. For me cleaning gutters is a huge one. First off, Im not getting my ass all the way up on the ladder for no leaves And second, its cheap and our guys come and knocks it out and cleans up after himself.

Pressure washing the whole house is another one. Back to the ladder part, Ill let the guys come and knock it out and be done with if. Just doing the half the house you can reach looks bad the next year

Now with the cars and house stuff, I will do the bulk of what I can.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:15:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I saved over $5000 this weekend on 2 different necessary projects. I know the DIY ethic is alive and well in the Arfcom demographics, but it almost shook me up a bit when I thought about all the people out there just getting by who can’t, don’t, or won’t.

Project 1: Replace truck bumper. I had a thread about this one with all the details, but quick and dirty version is that I had a damaged bumper interfering with the functionality of the tailgate on a beat up GMC “farm truck.” Shop quoted me $3200. I watch some YouTube videos, bought a cheap replacement off Amazon, replaced it in about 5 hours. $250 and Inhave a working tailgate again. $2950 saved.

Project 2: BMW M4 needed brakes and rotors. Normal maintenance, it was time. (Also have some track stuff coming up in a few weeks, otherwise I could have deferred it til later this summer). Price at dealer is $3800. I ordered OEM rotors and PFC-08 pads online. Watched a couple YouTube videos, and about 3-4 hours later, another $2200 saved.

Holy crap! That’s $5050 after tax, what’s that for a footprint in your gross salary? Did I saved $5050, or did I give myself a defacto $10,000 raise? Kinda crazy to think about the impact that a few projects a year could have on an average American’s standard of living.
I guess the moral of the story is look for the opportunities and don’t be afraid to do stuff.
View Quote

I've got to replace my front driveshaft and transfer case on my X5M.  750hp, AWD launches, and 5,400lbs = broken shit I guess.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:16:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperHeavy] [#9]
The only issue it causes, is you go to work, only to come home to work.

If your spouse becomes useless on house chores, you will want to pay someone, to give you that much deserved break on the weekends.

My father just paid the Honda dealership WAY to much to replace a bearing and fluids, but I understand why, when he comes home from work just to receive a list of shit to do.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:20:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I couldn’t afford my BMW by a long shot if it came down to paid repairs. It has gotten tiring doing the amount of repairs the car needs though. I’m also terrible on preventative maintenance.

The DiY stuff in my family was more about having problem solving aptitude and the resilience and grit to finish car repairs. Money savings were an ancillary benefit.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:31:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Amped:
True story. I have “nice” stuff because I build “nice” stuff.

Just about wrapped up my coop build. $2000 in materials and a lot of work on the days off and after work. If I paid to have this built it would be in the $6,000-$8,000 range

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/179056/IMG_2564_jpeg-3212904.JPG
View Quote

I just pay him (@amped) in various dominations of ammo for minor automotive work.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:23:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

I just pay him (@amped) in various dominations of ammo for minor automotive work.

View Quote

Hey you did help a lot with the lift on the taco 😂
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

I walked outside a couple of weeks ago about 7 at night and started watching sparks fly out of the main panel at our business. WTF!!!

Shut the generator down, turned off the main, some reason this 4 port polaris connector decided to arc out against the main power panel cover.

It's a long story, but yes, I have/had an electrician on call at $175. In the last 3 months, I've been taking a closer work at most of what he did for me. We've pulled most of it out and trashed it, it was bandaids on top of bandaids on top of bandaids instead of fixing stuff outright.

I had a spare polaris connector, so I swapped it out. We checked the other connectors in the box. Some were tight, some were loose. One was so loose the wire fell out when I touched it. I have since found other connections that were also basically not tightened, wires just sitting in lugs. This was all shit I had him work on in the last two years. Needless to say, trust is gone. It ain't rocket science, just fucking pay attention.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:43:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
boggles my mind how many people in our little neighborhood have people do their grass. We're on 1/8 to 1/2 acre lots, not including house, drive, and landscaping. It takes maybe an hour with a shitty ryobi push mower and weed whacker. I was curious when I moved here and they have big zero turns, so priced out The place we looked at quoted like $250-350 a month.

It takes MAYBE an hour a week, it's a work out, and then I can drink cold beer. I'm doing OK but not going to pay $100/hour for anything like that.
View Quote

I pay $25 a week for a 1/2 acre lot. What are they doing in addition to mowing, wedging, and weed whipping?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Just replaced the condenser fan motor on the heat pump.  Success!  It can now limp along a while longer…older system so who knows when it will finally die for good.  Need to have an actual tech check the refrigerant and such as it does not seem as capable of cooling the house down as it used to be, but some AC is better than nothing for the moment.  New heat pump is gonna be $$$…  

Stuff I have fixed over the years:
Car- brakes, shocks, vtec module, belts, oil, tire swaps/rotations, etc
Boat trailer- brakes and bearings.
Boat/engine- timing belt, fuel lines, maintenance…
Heat pump/hvac- blower motor, condenser fan, capacitor, etc
Fridge- defrost heater, main board, testing temp sensors, etc
Dryer- belt, bearings, etc
Washer- motor?
Electrical- wired circuits, replaced bad breakers, installing a generator interlock kit soon- complicated by 2 panels…
Fireplace- blower motor

Had the house built, but a buddy and I did all the laminate flooring, tile, and built a big deck.  I built a retaining wall later as well.

Stuff I have paid for- heat pump compressor replacement, blown up boat engine repair, new roof.  Basically stuff beyond my capability to figure out and where getting it wrong is not an option.

I would hate to think how much I would have spent on all the above by paying someone else to do it.  Plus I enjoy knowing how to fix stuff and figuring out how things work…
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:05:18 PM EDT
[#16]
My wife and I remodeled our house, I replaced water heater, built a barn, built a farm. Sure, it took awhile because I work a 9-5. The South Park episode where men don’t know how to fix anything is true
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I was taught at a young age to be self sufficient.

Learn how to do multiple things in life so that you always have a way to support yourself and if need be, help others.

There will come a time when you will be able to exchange skillsets and everyone benefits. Has worked well over the years.

Last trip home, I put up 3 of the 5 walls on my carport to expand my shop, will finish it when I get home again.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I make good money and do pay for some things, especially stuff that requires one off tools or is outside my comfort.

My wife's car needs brakes, new shocks and struts, and a front end rebuild.  At the shop that is gonna run my 5k maybe more.  About 1k in parts.  I don't want to do it but I don't want to spend 4k+ on that when I can take a couple nights and get it done.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:32:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Yep I have probably saved at least a quarter million bucks due to YouTube and figure it out mentality over 20 years
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:58:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Ef4life:

How do you deal with the disappointment and dissatisfaction from the service and workmanship you get with run of the mill trade employees.
View Quote

I deal with that by using them for the simple stuff.  I had a deck built and thought the guy wouldn't do the handrails how I wanted so I paid him for the basic deck and finished it myself.  It would have taken me a long time by myself so I had no issues hiring out the basic structure. I'm going to redo my kitchen soon.  I'll pay someone to come in and demo everything but I'll put it back myself.  Basically I pay for the shit that doesn't really matter or I don't have time to do.  But it does get harder and harder to find someone capable of doing a good job on even basic tasks.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:00:46 PM EDT
[#21]
You either make enough to pay someone else to do it or learn how to do it yourself.

That's what my parent taught me.

I made a deck at my old house for 2k worth of material and it added 20k or more to the home value.
It would've been 10k or more to have had it made.
I do all my yard maintenance and modifications saving me tens of thousands, same with auto fixes, maintenance and modifications. Made plenty of home furnishings and the like.

I like having the skills and it can be fun.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:02:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By MilHouse-556:

Same.

They either make really good money and their time is literally worth that much or they are broke/in debt to have others do everything for them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MilHouse-556:

Same.

These.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:05:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By thesilvercord:
Used to be a DIY type when I was younger, single, and had more time (not working my career job) but I can afford to pay for it now, so I do.
View Quote

This.
I'm not crawling under my truck and turning wrenches in my spare time.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:22:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By HoodyHoo21:
I do most stuff myself, but as others have said, sometimes there is a cost/reward benefit.

I just took my wife Dodge Durango to have the motor mounts replaced. Could I do it with the help of friends? Yes.

But that is a big job and worth the $1k it cost.
View Quote

Cannot imagine it’s that big of a job.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:24:24 PM EDT
[#25]
DIY makes sense more than ever because ALL trades are thieves now.

No one is honest anymore. Everyone overcharging, lying, etc. Everyone.

Not all their fault, .gov has been making people poor
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:33:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By contract:

View Quote

This

I got FED UP with HVAC guys.  I just got my EPA 608 cert and bought my own tools.  I do it better and quicker then most those hacks
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:35:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By BombCrater:  I beg to differ. Let's say I have 870,000 in my savings account.  I did three projects recently that saved me a few thousand: replaced a pool pump, garage door springs and opener, and a skylight.  Let's say I would have spent $4000 on these if I had them done but instead I spent $2000.  If I had them done I would have 866,000 in my savings but since I did them I now have 868,000. I have 2000 more in my savings on things I HAD to get done. I saved $2000 over paying someone else and I have that in my savings.  Sort of semantics I guess but makes sense to me.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:50:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ZA206:  Just rent a sand blaster!  At minimum, use a side grinder with a wire wheel.  That’s what my guys do when we need to strip and repaint old tanks.
ZSAZSA
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:56:50 PM EDT
[#29]
I learned everything there is to know about my Frigidaire gas range. So far I've fixed the igniter, temp sensor, and the whole control board.

I took a stab at TV repair (even made a thread here about it) and my daughter helped me so it was great bonding time. We replaced some burnt out LED strips in the screen. Sadly it needed other parts for repair and it wasn't worth the cost of the parts.

Another fun project was building a new drop-down ladder for my dad's attic. I just took the old mangled one that was there and basically replaced it with all new custom pieces that I had to make.

Between the range and ladder, I only saved a couple hundred bucks, but the sense of pride and accomplishment are priceless.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:46:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: onthebreeze] [#30]
There is a lot of DIY that is 'nice' to be able to do.

There is other DIY that isn't nice, and you can pay someone to do it for less overall hassle and time.

For me, doing my own oil change is less time and trouble than taking it to someone. The time commitment is about the same, but it's on my schedule. Cost I don't really care about, but I'm not going to pay more to be inconvenienced.

What I will say is there are a lot of areas where you don't have a choice but to do most things yourself. You can't get people in a lot of places and you must DIY.

The intangible aspect is the things you learn if you are DIY competent. You'll probably make a better house or car buying decision, not because you know it inside out, but you at least know what to look for.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:46:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Jason280:
I do pretty much everything myself, the only problem is that while I do save a decent amount of cash, it takes me considerably longer....and sometimes it doesn't get done at all.
View Quote

I hear you man.  I’ve been working on a 16’ x 16’ paver patio for over a year now.  My son and I pick axed and shoveled out 12 inches of soil and now are replacing it with mining screens.  

I can get the mining screens for $35 per load on my 16’ utility trailer.  So far I’ve put 4 trailer loads in the hole we dug and it’s going to take one more.

I’ll then need to lay a 1” bed of sand after I get the mining screens leveled off.

I bought two pallets worth of pavers from Home Depot early last spring which is what got this project started.  They were on sale and I think I gave like $300 for them.

I figure I’ll have about $600 or maybe $700 total in the project by the time I through, but damn it’s been a hell of a lot bigger project than I had envisioned.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:47:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Now I will say this, my supposed ability to fix/repair just about anything has me taking on far more projects than I have either enough time or money for.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:50:17 PM EDT
[#33]
After getting my shit pushed in with child support and ever increasing cost of everything, the only reason I have decent cars is because I DIY.  If I couldn't turn a wrench, I'd be taking the bus.  Speaking of, I have to pull the f*cking cylinder head off my Audi this weekend
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:52:45 PM EDT
[#34]
I just solo-swapped out 5 old nitto 37s for a set of Patagonia 38s on beadlocks.

I'm a DIY'er at heart but if there was a shop that I knew that dealt with BL wheels I might have broken down and took them in.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:10:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By JHMC79:  I hear you man.  I’ve been working on a 16’ x 16’ paver patio for over a year now.  My son and I pick axed and shoveled out 12 inches of soil and now are replacing it with mining screens.  I can get the mining screens for $35 per load on my 16’ utility trailer.  So far I’ve put 4 trailer loads in the hole we dug and it’s going to take one more. I’ll then need to lay a 1” bed of sand after I get the mining screens leveled off. I bought two pallets worth of pavers from Home Depot early last spring which is what got this project started.  They were on sale and I think I gave like $300 for them. I figure I’ll have about $600 or maybe $700 total in the project by the time I through, but damn it’s been a hell of a lot bigger project than I had envisioned.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:18:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By RayFromJersey:

I took a stab at TV repair (even made a thread here about it) and my daughter helped me so it was great bonding time. We replaced some burnt out LED strips in the screen. Sadly it needed other parts for repair and it wasn't worth the cost of the parts.
View Quote

I have learned for most modern electronics, they're almost never worth trying to fix short of the $10k+ boutique stuff.

I will say, my Media PC refused to power on the other day.  Traced it to a bad power switch.  Even though the case is 10 years old, I was still able to source the replacement cable and switch(Dell) for about $10 on Amazon.  I almost just assumed the MB died, in which case I would have junked everything except the drives, so that saved me a few hundo.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:25:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By contract:

View Quote

Pssshhh.

I bid and won a tile shower demo and rebuild a couple months ago. I start it tomorrow morning. Yep…I’m a one man show remodel contractor. I also do small and medium handyman tasks between multi week remodel jobs. Kitchens, bathrooms, trim, doors, windows, sheds, fencing, flooring, etc, etc.

Ya, the homeowner found a crook willing to charge them $18K labor. They also found me who uses established local pricing and quality materials and am charging them around $8k. It’ll be about $9k if there’s a bunch of concealed damage, and there might be. We talked about it up front and everyone understands the score. There’s pretty much no condition I could reasonably expect to find on this job that would cost the homeowner more than that $9K, unless they want to add additional scope to the work (that does happen too). They know it and I know it.    

Honesty in a contractor may be hard to find, but it’s NOT impossible. You’re not only paying for the labor, you’re paying for the experience, tools, insurance, little Jimmy’s braces, etc.

For these reasons I have a long wait list, am able to choose my customers and can have a work schedule that accommodates my life.

Don’t like my *reasonable* prices, DIY and then call me when you get in over your head. It’ll likely be more to fix the mistakes and then do what I was going to do for you anyway.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:04:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Anyone want to walk someone through installing flooring (something like LVP) on an upstairs room? The room is currently carpeted, with plywood or something similar underneath.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:34:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By mississippicelery:
Anyone want to walk someone through installing flooring (something like LVP) on an upstairs room? The room is currently carpeted, with plywood or something similar underneath.
View Quote

LVP is one of those super easy projects and is actually DIY level work with a few basic tools. Pick your flooring and watch a couple youtubes on that particular manufacturer’s method of install and you should be good. Of course, tools like a flooring cutter, a combo square, an electric jig saw and a “flooring installation kit” will make your life 1000% easier.

I’ve laid several thousand feet of it by three different manufacturers in the past year.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:57:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By CTYC313:

I pay $25 a week for a 1/2 acre lot. What are they doing in addition to mowing, wedging, and weed whipping?
View Quote

I'm in Georgia. It's a damn rain forest down here
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#42]
I've completely remodeled the wife's bathroom (including electrical and plumbing) and our walk in attic with my dad's help. I helped him completely remodel his basement (including electrical) and several bathrooms (including electrical and plumbing).

I cannot begin to count the tens of thousands of dollars we've saved doing it ourselves.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#43]
I want a nice, automated entry gate to my property but everyone is quoting $3k plus to build it. Bought the steel, tube bender at HF and whala- a super nice custom gate for around $700 including the bender. I can’t even fathom what it would cost for installation of that with the automatic mech. I’m almost ready to do the installation myself as I’m prepping the side posts and gate hardware.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:54:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By StarCityShooter:
Counter thread has entered the chat

Hiring a contractor to fix your “DIY Life Hack” job
View Quote

One of the challenges is finding actual "pros", and that doesnt just mean paying more.  There are sooo many people out there, across soo many industries that just fucking suck at their job.  The issue is that it isnt immediately identifiable.  When we had a leak and water damage in our house, I hired one of the larger more "respected" contractors in the area. It was an absolute shit show. Their pros were fucking day laborers off the street that had never even done some of the jobs before.  Multiple fixes of their work which ended in me finally firing them.  In the end I got screwed and am still fixing their shit.

I hired a "recommended pro" to hang cabinets.  He damaged them with his shitty install and put half of the pulls on crooked as shit.  Oh, but he had "red" tools.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:02:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By ag04blast:

I hired a "recommended pro" to hang cabinets.  He damaged them with his shitty install and put half of the pulls on crooked as shit.  Oh, but he had "red" tools.
View Quote

I did one of our pulls crooked with my Red tools
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By DayandNight1701:
I will say, my Media PC refused to power on the other day.  Traced it to a bad power switch.  Even though the case is 10 years old, I was still able to source the replacement cable and switch(Dell) for about $10 on Amazon.  I almost just assumed the MB died, in which case I would have junked everything except the drives, so that saved me a few hundo.
View Quote

Sounds like $10 too much

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:28:22 AM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

This. Subaru wanted $1050 to do brake pads on my wife’s ascent. I told them never mind and walked out. Got OEM pads online and did it in 1 hour on a Saturday. Total cost $150.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:29:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: runcible] [#48]
(SNIP)
I watch some YouTube videos, bought a cheap replacement off Amazon, replaced it in about 5 hours. $250 and Inhave a working tailgate again. $2950 saved.
(SNIP)
Watched a couple YouTube videos, and about 3-4 hours later, another $2200 saved.
View Quote
The main reason I shy away from DIY projects? (Other than I hate that shit.)
They're NEVER as easy as they are in the videos or on websites. Never.

"After you unscrew the side panel, you'll see two wires. They'll most often be green and white, but sometimes they'll be red and white."
Guaranteed, when I unscrew the side panel, there will be one wire, and it'll be blue.
"After you remove the bolts, it will simply slide off the shaft."
Guaranteed, I'll remove the bolts, and "it" won't fucking budge, even after I hit it with a fucking sledgehammer.

Wanted to do some work on a ceiling fan, not long ago. Watched a bunch of videos, seemed like a pretty simple job.
Then I took the cover off the part that attaches to the ceiling... and what I found underneath looked absolutely nothing like what I'd seen in any video.
I decided it wasn't that important, and I just replaced the cover.

Happens all the time. Even when shit actually works, a "30 minute job" takes five hours, and requires three trips to Home Depot.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By durtychemist:

It gives him time to do other things. For $100 he probably got 5 hours of time to do other things because someone else had the parts and didn’t need to make time to get it done. There is actually a benefit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By durtychemist:
Originally Posted By STRIKE504:
My neighbor always talks about "having a guy come out and look at it" for the easiest most mundane diy things. Got charged $100 a head to swap a few broken sprinklers.

It gives him time to do other things. For $100 he probably got 5 hours of time to do other things because someone else had the parts and didn’t need to make time to get it done. There is actually a benefit.

So tell us that you can't/won't do anything without telling us that you can't/won't do anything. And your reading comprehension needs work as well. It was $100 PER SPRINKLER HEAD. Not $100 total. So at least several hundred dollars depending on how many were changed. I get time being money. I pay to have my grass cut now because instead of spending 3 hours with my push mower and weedeater two guys come and do it with a big zero turn and trim and blow in about 20 minutes. For $50. I can make between $50-100 an hour in my shop so it makes sense. But simple quick projects around here will be DIY until I'm simply unable. At the moment I'm waiting for a side window for my daughter's car that I'm going to install because the cost of having it done is more than I can make an hour.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:06:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By TexRdnec:
i'll know i've arrived when i don't have to do everything myself anymore

but since i don't see that ever happening i'll be spending the next few months with a scraper, a grinder, a paintbrush and a rusty assed 18,000 gallon tank
View Quote

You should look into renting a dry ice blasting machine.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top