Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Favorite IndyCar era? (Page 2 of 3)
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:07:58 PM EDT
[#1]
USAC era.  Foyt, the Unser brothers, Dallenbach etc.  Guys would build a car in their garage and bring it to Indy. '60s into the early '70s. Before that too of course, but I was too young to follow it
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#2]
'It's a new track record!' — All-time GREATEST moments from Indy 500 Qualifying | INDYCAR
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:10:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc540] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

(Jimmy drove it to its second win)

George Salih and my friend, Howard Gilbert, built that car in the garage beside Salih's house in Whittier, Ca.

NO sponsorship and the first "lay down" Offy engine.

"Belond" owned muffler shops around L.A. and only gave them enough money to tow to Indy.

Then they won Indy, but after they paid everyone they owed they only had enough money to tow back home.

Then they returned and won it again.

Made serious bank the second time.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#4]
The '70s era cars are my favorite. I lived about a 10-15 min walk to the 4th turn of the track. The whole month of May was awesome to a teen living so close to the track.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:13:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc540] [#5]
Originally Posted By firedog51d:
USAC era.  Foyt, the Unser brothers, Dallenbach etc.  Guys would build a car in their garage and bring it to Indy. '60s into the early '70s. Before that too of course, but I was too young to follow it
View Quote

built it, drove it, won with it

That's Mr. A. J. Foyt, Sr. the toughest of the two of them.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Janus:

Yep.

Lola vs Reynard vs Penske vs Swift
Honda vs Toyota vs Ford vs Mercedes

F1 level talent driving cars that were unchained beasts around all disciplines of circuits.

It was one of the best eras in all of racing.
View Quote

That was a good era.

These days they are F2 at best.

I guess my biggest gripe is it became a spec series and that belittles what Indy was all about. Building a fast car and bringing it to race 500 miles.

Now it is buy a fast car like everyone else has and getting a box motor from one of two makers and just tweaking the setup. Zero innovation.

F1 sets the rules and leaves it to the constructors to develop the fastest car within those rules with multiple engine combinations.

The cars are never identical, not even the cars on the same team.

Pair a great driver and car, you get Verstappen now and Lewis 8 years ago. Verstappen will be dethroned. It may be this season. Ferrari and McLaren are beating RB during races but not in qualifying.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:17:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc540] [#7]
Today's drivers have no clue

Vucky after winning Indy in '53

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:42:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Late 80s the party the night before the race was epic. The street coming down to turn one would be wall to wall with people. Campers backed up to the road with wild parties on the roof.  Jesus freaks would ride in back of trucks inside of cages condemning everyone to hell while having beers thrown at them. Most houses would rent parking spots for the race but I remember one house who fenced off the yard to keep the crowds away.  Thousands of beer cans got thrown in the yard.

The track used to open the gates at 5am and everyone would try to drive in first with some junk cars being set on fire inside the track.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:40:33 PM EDT
[#9]
What does everyone think about the mid-season hybrid introduction?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:07:46 PM EDT
[#10]
My favorite era is everything before the pit lane speed limit.  Sure, I understand the need for it.   The halo cars just look ugly.  Foyt getting out and beating on the car with a hammer, Jim Mckay commentating. I miss Jackie Stewart's input.  Not a big Sam Posey fan, however.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:48:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By doc540:

Attachment Attached File

View Quote

I have that AFX slot car.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:10:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Tweek218:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR6EAaxhLcc
View Quote

I was in turn 1 when Tom Sneva broke the 200 mph barrier in ‘77.  Ah, the good old days.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:17:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By skyflyer:
Late 80s the party the night before the race was epic. The street coming down to turn one would be wall to wall with people. Campers backed up to the road with wild parties on the roof.  Jesus freaks would ride in back of trucks inside of cages condemning everyone to hell while having beers thrown at them. Most houses would rent parking spots for the race but I remember one house who fenced off the yard to keep the crowds away.  Thousands of beer cans got thrown in the yard.

The track used to open the gates at 5am and everyone would try to drive in first with some junk cars being set on fire inside the track.
View Quote

Georgetown Road and the Coke Field (there is a Coca-Cola bottling plant there). I remember in 1972 listening to the bullhorns and seeing the glow from searchlights illuminating the street with police helicopters orbiting. The next day, the news showed the street was covered in broken glass from bottles thrown at the police.

Keep in mind, it was 72 and riots were in vogue.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:23:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Cobalt-60:
What does everyone think about the mid-season hybrid introduction?
View Quote
I'm not quite sure what to think about it yet. It'll be interesting to see how they're implemented by the teams.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:27:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By twistedLV:
I think the current era is really good. More fun to watch than F1 most of the time.
View Quote

Curious about OP’s question too, as I’ve been watching more Indy races.

But is IndyCar racing more interesting than current NASCAR racing?

I’ve soured in the last 10-yrs on how NASCAR has been watered down by a sort of bland wokeness.

Not filled with the personalities and the track drama like it had in the late ‘70s and ‘80s.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:30:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Beginning around '65 when Jimmy Clark won in a mid engine Lotus. The end of the front engine cars era of dominance.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:33:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: paul463] [#17]
Mid 1960s.
Same for drag racing and Nascar too.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:44:10 AM EDT
[#18]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183309/Foyt_build1-3212754.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183309/foyt_dad_indy1-3212756.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183309/Foyt_build1-3212754.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183309/foyt_dad_indy1-3212756.jpg
Indy 500
Daytona 500
24 hours of Lemans
24 Hours of Daytona
12 Hours of Sebring.

He won them all and set the fastest closed course speed record.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:28:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: flynbenny] [#19]
I'm a bit nostalgic for the 90s stuff, more variety in chassis and engine (and the era of my childhood). Today it is Dallara and your choice of Chevy or Honda. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug though. At the speeds they run at today no one is going to be hammering a car together in their garage at home.

I was hardcore into sim racing for a few years, driving the IR18 isn't easy in iRacing. I have participated in many Indy 500 qualifying challenges, holy shit is that hard.

I much prefer Indycar to F1, I don't like seeing the same guys win every race.

I also like the variety of circuits. Besides Monaco and Spa, every F1 circuit is more less a Tilke-drome and is pretty boring to watch and drive, I have driven most of them in the sim. In Indycar, you have to run ovals, street circuits, and permanent circuits. So happy they brought Milwaukee back this year too.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:45:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Indy 500
Daytona 500
24 hours of Lemans
24 Hours of Daytona
12 Hours of Sebring.

He won them all and set the fastest closed course speed record.  
View Quote

TWO world speed records that still stand today:

flying mile
closed course

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:12:23 AM EDT
[#21]
1989-1995ish

Before the suicidal divorce from CART
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:19:01 AM EDT
[#22]
in the early 90's ABC Indy 500 broadcast used Chuck Norris Delta Force theme  song.

Sounds fucking bad ass

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:21:35 AM EDT
[#23]
I was a huge Chip Ganassi Racing fan.

Jimmy Vasser & Alex Zanardi
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Tim_AZ:
The Delta Force theme will always mean its time to go racing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htqu5Au8Kvk
View Quote

For me, the delta force theme and Indy 500 always meant summer vacation was near.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:48:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By igozumn:
My favorite era is everything before the pit lane speed limit.  Sure, I understand the need for it.   The halo cars just look ugly.  Foyt getting out and beating on the car with a hammer, Jim Mckay commentating. I miss Jackie Stewart's input.  Not a big Sam Posey fan, however.
View Quote

The races that Jackie Stewart commented on when Emerson Fittipaldi was racing always made it sound like Fittipaldi was about to win. "Fittipaldi just made a brilliant pass, look at Fittipaldi go!", when he moved from 23rd to 22nd place. They were more than former teammates, they had a bit of a bromance going from the sound of it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:49:24 AM EDT
[#26]
https://www.autoweek.com/racing/indycar/a1844986/31-jim-hurtubise-fails-qualify-indy-500-treats-everyone-beer-instead/

You can thank Jim Hurtubise for car inspections. When you get to the front of the qual line and pop the hood to reveal a cooler full of beer instead of an engine, officials decided hey maybe we should start inspecting the cars.

How anyone watches an Indycar race and would rather watch F1 blows my mind.

Watch 100 days to indy, last years season is on Netflix right now and this years season just began on CW.

The Indianapolis 500 is THE GREATEST SPECTACLE, not only in racing but in sports. When people say it’s the Super Bowl of auto racing I shake my head. The bowl has nothing on the 500.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#27]
I loved the Aurora V8s. Back then I was in college and had a buddy with season tickets for PIR.
Still remember walking up to the track during qualifying, just hearing one car at a time as I got closer.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:13:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Nick_Adams:

Curious about OP’s question too, as I’ve been watching more Indy races.

But is IndyCar racing more interesting than current NASCAR racing?

I’ve soured in the last 10-yrs on how NASCAR has been watered down by a sort of bland wokeness.

Not filled with the personalities and the track drama like it had in the late ‘70s and ‘80s.
View Quote

My personal opinion is IndyCar is much better than NASCAR yes. I switched from being a lifetime NASCAR fan to an IndyCar fan in the last few years. All the gimmicks put on by NASCAR ruined the sport for me. Feels like WWF wrestling now. Competition caution and stage breaks?

IndyCar seems to be holding off on the woke garbage aside from a few things like the DHL sponsored gay pride car and some gay pride flags at some of the races I’ve noticed. I hope they can hold out.

And for anyone that didn’t see, I made a thread for discussion of this year‘s race. Last year‘s bump day and race were unbelievable.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Official-2024-Indianapolis-500-Presented-by-Gainbridge-Thread/5-2724747/
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#29]
The CART years. IRL was trash.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:28:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Square66] [#30]
Short lived but Buick Motorsports turbo V6.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:20:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mike_48] [#31]
I was there for the turbine car with Parnelli Jones driving (1967).  When it was on the track by itself (during time trials), it was weird hearing it go by with just a slight whine or whisper.  It was leading the race until the transmission went out at the very end.  That thing was pretty neat.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Kraquine:

I have that AFX slot car.

https://i.imgur.com/5lVUrKD.jpg

View Quote

As a kid I had the tonka aj foyt race set. A cube van, race car, trailer & action figures
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:45:51 PM EDT
[#33]
evidence indicates 60's -70's with a dash of 80's - '90's

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:50:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Elmer_Fudd_Gantry:
The CART years. IRL was trash.
View Quote

Same for me.

Couldn't stand IRL.

That video posted above, really brought back memories.  Dang,  I loved that era.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#35]
72-95
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:30:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc540] [#36]
I was so happy to meet Roger Penske and welcome him to the IRL when he showed up at Phoenix with two cars.

He was smart enough to know there wasn't going to be INDYcars in the future without the INDY 500.

Andretti quickly followed.

Craig, Heitzler, MPH stock debacle, Kalkhoven, TMS cancellation, Honda bailing, one mis-mangement disaster after another

Arrogant dickswingers knew in advance they were too fast at TMS after Penske tested there, but, NO, we gotta be faster than the IRL.  Big Mo's pinball crash from turn 2 to turn 4 spooked most of the drivers (but not all).

The rich hobbyists stupidly called Tony George's bluff, and are still wetting their beds because "he killed Indycar racing".

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:43:39 PM EDT
[#37]
'70s.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:50:14 AM EDT
[#38]
The 60's through the 80's.
Lots of innovation.
You could build a car in your shop, buy a rebuilt Offy or Cosworth, and try and qualify.
The boost levels they ran in those Offys were insane!
It's a great little engine, compact and strong.  You'll never blow a head gasket on one of those.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:43:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 50cal] [#39]
Originally Posted By skyflyer:

View Quote

I loved the Friday and Saturday night before the race. It was a huge non stop party. The street we lived on dead ended onto 30th St and the huge field that Tony Hulman owned that had the Coke bottling plant at one end. Everyone called it The Coke Field.

Cruising around Georgetown Rd, 30th St, 16th St and some of the other major roads around there was a hoot. I loved it in the '70s
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:15:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Plumber576:
My Favorite IndyCar era was CART after the split.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:03:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Indycar 2024 Sonsio Grand Prix: The Comedy Review

These race reviews are pretty humorous.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By anesvick:
This, CART was awesome.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By anesvick:
Originally Posted By Plumber576:
My Favorite IndyCar era was CART after the split.
This, CART was awesome.

I completely agree.  I miss CART.  Paul Tracy and the Kool car
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#43]
CART forever and ever amen.

Today’s 500 is still fun but it’s not the same as it used to be. We’ll be there in 1A.

Does anyone happen to know where to get old bodywork? I’ve always wanted a big piece of an Indycar for my office. But I can’t ever seem to find any.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:59:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By AR-Aggie:
CART forever and ever amen.

Today’s 500 is still fun but it’s not the same as it used to be. We’ll be there in 1A.

Does anyone happen to know where to get old bodywork? I’ve always wanted a big piece of an Indycar for my office. But I can’t ever seem to find any.
View Quote

several active Indy memorabilia sites on Facebook

several of Sneva's body pieces from his '75 crash were just listed yesterday
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:06:27 PM EDT
[#45]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzTv4iFAPwM

View Quote

OP if you are interested in learning more about the drivers and the series there are a few YouTube channels I’ve found to be helpful.

David Land
Off Track with Hinch and Rossi
The RACER Channel
Conor Daly
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#46]

OP if you are interested in learning more about the drivers and the series there are a few YouTube channels I’ve found to be helpful.

David Land
The RACER Channel
Conor Daly
View All Quotes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzTv4iFAPwM

David Land
The RACER Channel
Conor Daly

Aye, thanks for that! I will check them all out.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:52:09 AM EDT
[#47]
I remember in '81 or '82, Roger Reager had a stock block Chevy engine that came out of a school bus.
He broke on the last lap, and Rick Mears gave him a ride back to the pits.
He didn't win, but he qualified, and almost finished the race.
That's the stuff that little kids' dreams are made of.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#48]
I found this pic on the facebook (a pic I took, not a google one) while looking to see if I had one of the 912 in the background. I had a slot-car of this as a kid. Seeing this in-person and doing a little track-prep work on it was one of the highlights of my existence.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:15:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By AR-Aggie:
View Quote

Facebook

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#50]
As far as the cars look, I will always love the Miller era.

Those cars are just badass. Basically a dragster long before "The Bug". Handbrake only, DOHC, superchargers, FWD, riding mechanics . . . really just a wild time of throwing anything against the wall to see what stuck and Harry Miller/Fred Offenhauser emerging the winner.

The peak, IMO, are the 1935 Miller Ford cars. They really started trying to clean up aero encapsulating axles and teardropping those and started dropping the ride height. In the late 20s/early 30s, the cars dropped like an inch a year. Similar to the mid 60s dragsters of adding a foot of chassis a year.

2nd runner up to me, the shark nose 1967 Gerhardts. Gerhardt finally found something to distinguish himself from just another Lotus clone and that nose is perfect. Got a couple of golden years before the absolutely hideous 1970s cars with guys driving literal triangles.

Page / 3
Favorite IndyCar era? (Page 2 of 3)
Top Top