BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:20:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Whiskeyballzzz:
I have irons on my SBR 9mm AR. Makes it fast & handy.
View Quote

And a RDS is slow? 😂
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By JWnTN:
Some law enforcement agencies issue ARs with iron sights and require them on privately owned rifles.
View Quote

Because a lot of equipment regs and decisions at agencies are made by complete retards with little to no experience.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:25:28 PM EDT
[#3]
20 years ago irons made sense.  I'm just not as fast with them anymore.  If batteries were ever to become an issue I'd grab an ACOG and never look back.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:27:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By FrankW134:
20 years ago irons made sense.  I'm just not as fast with them anymore.  If batteries were ever to become an issue I'd grab an ACOG and never look back.
View Quote

In 2004?

Not really.

Maybe 1994.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:38:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an A2 with an ACOG. The world could fo right now and I wouldn't feel under gunned.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By NotIssued:

Be curious to see what the Canadians and Scandanavian countries run.

Isn't Aimpoint Swedish?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SpacemanSpiff:
I haven't found an optic that works very well in a snow storm yet.

In the winter I often run irons only.

Isn't Aimpoint Swedish?

What are the Danes using for their Greenland patrol? Last I checked was a modified iron sighted m1917. They don't even want the peep clogged with snow.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:40:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By WacoKid:
Not saying optics are not a force multiplier, but my A1/A2 Carry handles and FSB gas block have really good battery life.
View Quote

Yup. Same here. 10.5" barreled SBR. Excellent gun.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By GiggleSmith:

I'm THE orange dot.
The Other Guy was trying to zero his rifle
200 yards  

https://i.postimg.cc/7Y2W93BC/Irn-Sites.jpg
View Quote

Am I led to believe you put a group into that orange dot at 200 using irons?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

What are the Danes using for their Greenland patrol? Last I checked was a modified iron sighted m1917. They don't even want the peep clogged with snow.
View All Quotes

Isn't Aimpoint Swedish?

Yeah that and a G-20.

Pretty solid choices.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Creatyre:

Am I led to believe you put a group into that orange dot at 200 using irons?
View Quote

“Please ignore the bullet holes all over my target. Trust me that I have obscured a super awesome yet implausible group under this dot. Thank you.”
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Utahshooting:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Utahshooting:
Originally Posted By WacoKid:
Not saying optics are not a force multiplier, but my A1/A2 Carry handles and FSB gas block have really good battery life.

Yup.

My winter stick is pretty much an XM-177E2 with a light.

Excellent is also how I would describe it.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#12]

I'm not talking about larping for a few hours.

I'm talking about living in the mountains in northern Maine through the winter, hiking, cutting trees, hauling firewood, breaking trail, etc etc.

Keeping an optic on all the time isn't worth the hassle for me. Half the time the lens is full of ice or mud or sawdust and even irons have issues with shit getting in them, it's just they are more likely to stay usable.

I'm not interested in worrying if my lens covers are on or if I need to clean my lenses again. I want a rifle I can sling up and go in and out of the house or truck or ATV and not have to worry if the lens is going to frost over with condensate or get covered in crap when it's -15 and snow and ice is blowing off of every tree.

View Quote

For condensate on the lens exterior, have you thought about using Cat Crap?  
We're from the Washington area and I used it all the time since you could be moving from a dry to humid environment very quickly.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:

Because a lot of equipment regs and decisions at agencies are made by complete retards with little to no experience.
View Quote

Our agency has to qualify with irons, then everything is good after that.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:13:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1245xx] [#14]

“Please ignore the bullet holes all over my target. Trust me that I have obscured a super awesome yet implausible group under this dot. Thank you.”
View Quote

Hell, I use acog and aim point because I’ve not familiarized myself enough with the different ways to zero irons.  I need to learn more about that.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Sig Romeo 5X or 7S is the minimum on tertiary plus guns.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:20:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I am learning that Maine winters are much harder than anywhere else in this thread.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:21:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ben] [#17]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:26:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a couple. My bump in the night AR is a S&W Sport I with a DD fixed rear sight and a light.

I also have a 16” middy pencil upper with a FSB and a carry handle. Its nice and light.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Ben:

To be fair, that is an extreme environment compared to even the worst of the continental US. And...on the flip side...

We used Aimpoints on our Mk18s for my two years in Siberia.

It got to 60 below zero ambient there, and yes...we did training outside in that. No issues with the Aimpoint. Gear has improved dramatically over the past few decades.
View All Quotes

Isn't Aimpoint Swedish?

To be fair, that is an extreme environment compared to even the worst of the continental US. And...on the flip side...

It got to 60 below zero ambient there, and yes...we did training outside in that. No issues with the Aimpoint. Gear has improved dramatically over the past few decades.

Isn't Siberia a desert? I don't mind using optics in the cold as much as in a lot of snow. And I'd say aimpoints with closed lense caps(see through rear) is my favorite optic for the winter if I was going to use one.

I need to figure out lense covers for my primary arms micro prism.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:33:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Excellent affordable red dot and variable mag optics exist*

“But muh irun sats!”

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By jdessell:
I use optics. That being said, about 20 years ago my then girlfriend's father was a Gunnery Sgt. in the Marines. He once made the comment that "Scopes are for pussies." when I told him I wanted to mount an optic on my 20" A3.
View Quote

Being a SNCO doesn’t preclude someone from being a dumbass
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:36:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:
I am learning that Maine winters are much harder than anywhere else in this thread.
View Quote

Except for NH yeah. You actually did learn that Maine is the second snowiest state. I wouldn't say the hardest winters though. Just the snowiest.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:47:23 PM EDT
[#23]

In 2004?

Not really.

Maybe 1994.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FrankW134:

In 2004?

Not really.

Maybe 1994.

I'm speaking in regards to my eyesight, not available tech in 2004.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:48:57 PM EDT
[#24]
me, I use the iron sights as primary aiming device.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:49:23 PM EDT
[#25]

Except for NH yeah. You actually did learn that Maine is the second snowiest state. I wouldn't say the hardest winters though. Just the snowiest.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/1000000819_jpg-3212571.JPG
View All Quotes

And snow renders optics inert.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:52:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 56xdx_Z] [#26]

View Quote

One good reason for 45 degree irons. No need to remove QD optic if its cold and wet. It could just be snowy and its easier to blow out irons than clean up an entire optic

ETA: Hunting story timestamp 7:30. Not snow but just fog and his hunt was fucked without immediate access to iron sights.
Magpul MBUS Pro Offset Backup Sights!
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#27]
I found an FN A2 at a gun show, I put it together just for nostalgia sake, not as a primary rifle.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

Yes, actually you're right. It can and is why I prefer irons in the winter. I know you're trying to be edgy but that's what makes it funny.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

It's not so much the snow that is the problem in itself, it's the fact that using the rifle isn't my primary or even secondary focus and the environment is unforgiving of failure.

99.9% of the time the truck, chainsaw, and the radio are what actually matters.

Its just a tool, one of many that comes along when I am doing stuff, and it has to be fault tolerant and as simple as possible. If I need it, it better work because it is an emergency, not a planned event. I don't care if on a square range I am theoretically slightly faster with a red dot. Makes no difference to me whatsoever. Doesn't matter.

If I was kicking doors or fighting snow Taliban then the rifle would be the primary tool and the effort to keep an optic running would be a no brainer.

Some of the members here need to exit the fantasy world and spend some time in reality.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:11:29 PM EDT
[#30]
No they aren’t
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:23:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AbleArcher] [#31]

Yes, actually you're right. It can and is why I prefer irons in the winter. I know you're trying to be edgy but that's what makes it funny.
View All Quotes

Or... that has not been my experience in cold and snow.

But the Dakotas Wyoming and Montana aren't that extreme for winters.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:26:31 PM EDT
[#32]

It's not so much the snow that is the problem in itself, it's the fact that using the rifle isn't my primary or even secondary focus and the environment is unforgiving of failure.

Its just a tool, one of many that comes along when I am doing stuff, and it has to be fault tolerant and as simple as possible. If I need it, it better work because it is an emergency, not a planned event. I don't care if on a square range I am theoretically slightly faster with a red dot. Makes no difference to me whatsoever. Doesn't matter.

If I was kicking doors or fighting snow Taliban then the rifle would be the primary tool and the effort to keep an optic running would be a no brainer.

Some of the members here need to exit the fantasy world and spend some time in reality.

View All Quotes

Makes a lot of sense. If more people used there gear regularly I think you’d see a lot of gear changes. No different then the get home bag concept if you use the shit regular you see a lot can be dropped and other stuff needs improved. Not everyone is a door kicking operator so not everyone needs that gear just like not everyone is going on a 5 day recon so packing for one might not make sense, mission drives the gear in other words
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:31:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grambosc] [#33]
The cache AR was buried with a carry handle for its flat top upper, and a fixed FSB.  Multiple loaded magazines and loose ammo in vac bag in a separate pipe.

Most of the others have a fold down MBUS rear because batteries die, but not as the primary.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Down to one AR with Irons.  An old factory 14.5 P/W Bushy flattop with a carry handle.

My go-to is a 10.5 pistol with an MRO.  The MRO, while robust and has killer battery life, really sucks at holding groups past about 20 yards.  I should toss it and stick on my cheapo Holosun dot but I have like $500+ tied up in it.  I'd sell the MRO, but it's that bad, I couldn't with good conscious let someone pay me money for it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#35]
All this talk of optics failing in the cold. It's weird I've never had that experience 20-30 below in Afghanistan with Aimpoints or ACOGs on patrols and guard.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By southerncross:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/157261/PXL_20231120_224232578-3060253.jpg

Even my irons sights rifle has an optic.
View Quote

@southerncross

What kind of attachment do you use for the fixed carry handle?  My carry handle rifle is the only one I don’t have an aim point or acog on.  I’m not quite sure how to attach one.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:45:45 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

I had no idea yall got that much snow.  Wow!
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By 1245xx:

@southerncross

What kind of attachment do you use for the fixed carry handle?  My carry handle rifle is the only one I don’t have an aim point or acog on.  I’m not quite sure how to attach one.
View Quote

They make a carry handle pic mount. Use to be popular back in the day.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:00:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ben] [#39]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#40]

No, we had snow that was easily 5 feet deep for thr duration of the winter. Like....deep enough you couldn't see the tops of the back rests on park benches from October to early April. Not once. It went a 3 weeks without it having a high over 0 Fahrenheit more than once.

Of course, Siberia is huge, and they do have some serious steppe. But snow is a big and constant thing.
View All Quotes

Isn't Aimpoint Swedish?

Isn't Siberia a desert? I don't mind using optics in the cold as much as in a lot of snow. And I'd say aimpoints with closed lense caps(see through rear) is my favorite optic for the winter if I was going to use one.

I need to figure out lense covers for my primary arms micro prism.

No, we had snow that was easily 5 feet deep for thr duration of the winter. Like....deep enough you couldn't see the tops of the back rests on park benches from October to early April. Not once. It went a 3 weeks without it having a high over 0 Fahrenheit more than once.

Of course, Siberia is huge, and they do have some serious steppe. But snow is a big and constant thing.

Gotcha.  My knowledge of Siberia comes from Last of the Breed by Louis L'Amour
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:10:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1245xx] [#41]
Originally Posted By DayandNight1701:

They make a carry handle pic mount. Use to be popular back in the day.

https://freelandssports.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/ar-carry-handle-mount-weaver-picatinny-3.jpg
View Quote

Thanks @DayandNight
I’m gonna check some out.  It’ll go on a colt upper I’ve got on a rock river lar 15  I’ve got.  Really don’t know much about this rifle.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:11:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By brachiosaur:

Got a link for that? I have a set of fixed DD sights on one AR and would like to try that or a FO post.
View Quote

I knew about them but the oem night sights on my benelli made me a believer.

AR-15 Spike Front Sight Post (Black - Tritium Dot) No Tool

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:12:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:13:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quick detach optic with backup irons is the way... that's what I do on all my serious rifles.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#45]

Both my primary and secondary ARs are irons.  Both are PW 14.5s, Both are set with the RIBZ method.  

To me a light is more important than optics.  I am comfortable with irons.  Most of the other ARs have optics, their either plinkers or hunting rifles though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#46]
This is a very valuable thread for a person like me who came to this site to explore the idea of buying a military style assault rifle of my own.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#47]
I have red dots on many, magnified optics on others, especially the ones designed for distance.

I still have irons only on a number of retro replicas and I enjoy shooting those, although it is more challenging to me now than it was 40 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By RTX:
This is a very valuable thread for a person like me who came to this site to explore the idea of buying a military style assault rifle of my own.
View Quote

Did you make a decision in the 8 years of exploration?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RTX:

Hey, I don't make rash decisions. I'm admittedly still a bit intimidated by the idea of owning such a scary weapon of war.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

My place is right on the NH border on the edge of the White mountains, we get hit pretty hard even compared to the surrounding area.

Page / 7
Top Top