Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:42:03 AM EDT
[#1]
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with iron sights"
-Alfred Einstein
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By madmacs69:

You kind of still need to know and understand them...

You put an RDS on your pistol, go to the range. Get used to just pointing in the general direction and putting the dot on the target. Everything is cool.

Then you go home... and it sits and the battery goes dead.

Then you actually NEED to use it... so just put the target in the big window that doesn't have a dot anymore and hope?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:
Irons will be left in the past.

You put an RDS on your pistol, go to the range. Get used to just pointing in the general direction and putting the dot on the target. Everything is cool.

Then you actually NEED to use it... so just put the target in the big window that doesn't have a dot anymore and hope?

Why are we using a handgun for HOME defense? If forced to use a handgun in that role I’ll take a full-size handgun with a light and red dot.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are at least a capable shooter, decent to expert, in self defense, from 0-5 yards, you're instinctively shooting. You're not  really using your sights, irons or optics. You don't need to. Your presentation will put you on target. you'll see the sights or the dot, but you're not lining it all up like you do when target shooting. You're shooting on instinct almost. You'll see the sights but  aligning them won't be your focus.

6-10 yards, your sights come into play more, and that that distance, there's really not much difference between the two.

Beyond ten yards is where the red dots start to become superior, and at 15 and out, they're definitely superior.

Looking at defensive use of handgun statistics, the vast, vast majority of defensive use is from contact distance to 5 yards.

FBI/LEO stats show that

44% of defensive handgun use is  0-5 feet. That between contact and less than 3 yards. You're not using sights. You're not even stretching your arms out. Your primary concern is retention of the pistol, and you're shooting from the hip or somewhere in between there and just getting your arms out.

21% of SD shootings occur from 6-10 feet. That's 2 to just over 3 yards. You might use your sights or you mighty not. All you're concerned with there is getting your pistol out in front of you and getting your shots off quickly. Most people will see their sights, but won't be focused on them. It'll be on the target, you know it's kinda lined up or that your dot is on it, and you pull the trigger.

15% is 11-20 feet. 3.6 yards-6.6 yards. At 3.6 yards, nothing's changed from the description above until you get to about 5 yards. 5 yards to 6.6 yards, you've got a better sight picture, but you're only lining up your front sight or you're seeing the dot on the target. You're not taking the time to be perfect. You're still in the mindset of getting rounds off before the bad guy does because at this distance, it's still all about putting rounds downrange.

8% is between 21ft-50ft. 7 yards to 16.6 yards. At the bottom end of that range, it's still just seeing a bit of your sights and getting rounds off. Past ten yards, you're still being fast, but you can start getting a sight picture. Either the irons or the dot is about as fast as the other, but past ten yards, the dot is starting to show it's advantages, but it's close.

12% is 50 feet and beyond. That's 16.6 yards. Irons are still pretty fast and easy, but the dots are taking over. I'd say past 20-25 yards, it's all dot.

So, for 75% of your defensive shooting, You're either not getting to look at your sights, or barely being able to until a certain point, and from there to about 15 yards, it doesn't matter what you have. Really, the red dots don't have a real advantage until about 15 yards in a defensive shooting, so maybe 15-20% of defensive shootings.

I know, I know, " I see my sights/dot just fine when I'm practicing." Yeah, we all do.

When you're under stress, moving to keep from getting shot, or a guy is on top of you or actively attacking you, you're not going to see your sights until you're around 10 yards away, and then for only a split second. At that distance it doesn't matter what you have. Beyond that, you might get a bit more time, and then it matters.

I've only had to fire a handgun in anger but twice. I couldn't see the guy shooting at me either time. They were hiding in the woods. I returned fire to get to cover and to get back into the house and call the police. Both times a building on my property had been broken into. I have had to draw on a few people, crackheads, when I worked security for a store owner. Never had to fire because they put theirs down and in one case could get it out fast enough. So, technically, I've never been in a gunfight, but I've been shot at a few times.

You don't really see your sights, whether it's a red dot or irons in a lot of cases. What you'll see, is your front sight or that dot for a half a second, unless you're behind cover or far enough away from the attacker.

Use what you want. I prefer irons on pistols for SD. Dots on all my rifles.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Alaskanforfreedom:
Hey what frame is that?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Alaskanforfreedom:
Originally Posted By JBecker_72:
Just do it

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/200145/IMG_2056_jpeg-3211852.JPG

One of these days I'll get my 43 milled.
Hey what frame is that?
@Alaskanforfreedom

Grit Grips
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:00:24 AM EDT
[#5]

View Quote
I don't understand.

How long do some of you go without touching your primary defensive pistol?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

I hope this is sarcasm
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:10:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By CouncilOfDave:
I don't understand.

View Quote
Yeah I don't get it either. I change batteries in my optics annually like I do my smoke detectors. And every time I put my carry gun on I get a practice draw in and verify the dot is functioning and the light works, make sure a round is chambered and the magazine is loaded, reholster it, and go about my day.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:16:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Redman556:
If you are at least a capable shooter, decent to expert, in self defense, from 0-5 yards, you're instinctively shooting. You're not  really using your sights, irons or optics. You don't need to. Your presentation will put you on target. you'll see the sights or the dot, but you're not lining it all up like you do when target shooting. You're shooting on instinct almost. You'll see the sights but  aligning them won't be your focus.

6-10 yards, your sights come into play more, and that that distance, there's really not much difference between the two.

Beyond ten yards is where the red dots start to become superior, and at 15 and out, they're definitely superior.

Looking at defensive use of handgun statistics, the vast, vast majority of defensive use is from contact distance to 5 yards.

FBI/LEO stats show that

44% of defensive handgun use is  0-5 feet. That between contact and less than 3 yards. You're not using sights. You're not even stretching your arms out. Your primary concern is retention of the pistol, and you're shooting from the hip or somewhere in between there and just getting your arms out.

21% of SD shootings occur from 6-10 feet. That's 2 to just over 3 yards. You might use your sights or you mighty not. All you're concerned with there is getting your pistol out in front of you and getting your shots off quickly. Most people will see their sights, but won't be focused on them. It'll be on the target, you know it's kinda lined up or that your dot is on it, and you pull the trigger.

15% is 11-20 feet. 3.6 yards-6.6 yards. At 3.6 yards, nothing's changed from the description above until you get to about 5 yards. 5 yards to 6.6 yards, you've got a better sight picture, but you're only lining up your front sight or you're seeing the dot on the target. You're not taking the time to be perfect. You're still in the mindset of getting rounds off before the bad guy does because at this distance, it's still all about putting rounds downrange.

8% is between 21ft-50ft. 7 yards to 16.6 yards. At the bottom end of that range, it's still just seeing a bit of your sights and getting rounds off. Past ten yards, you're still being fast, but you can start getting a sight picture. Either the irons or the dot is about as fast as the other, but past ten yards, the dot is starting to show it's advantages, but it's close.

12% is 50 feet and beyond. That's 16.6 yards. Irons are still pretty fast and easy, but the dots are taking over. I'd say past 20-25 yards, it's all dot.

So, for 75% of your defensive shooting, You're either not getting to look at your sights, or barely being able to until a certain point, and from there to about 15 yards, it doesn't matter what you have. Really, the red dots don't have a real advantage until about 15 yards in a defensive shooting, so maybe 15-20% of defensive shootings.

I know, I know, " I see my sights/dot just fine when I'm practicing." Yeah, we all do.

When you're under stress, moving to keep from getting shot, or a guy is on top of you or actively attacking you, you're not going to see your sights until you're around 10 yards away, and then for only a split second. At that distance it doesn't matter what you have. Beyond that, you might get a bit more time, and then it matters.

I've only had to fire a handgun in anger but twice. I couldn't see the guy shooting at me either time. They were hiding in the woods. I returned fire to get to cover and to get back into the house and call the police. Both times a building on my property had been broken into. I have had to draw on a few people, crackheads, when I worked security for a store owner. Never had to fire because they put theirs down and in one case could get it out fast enough. So, technically, I've never been in a gunfight, but I've been shot at a few times.

You don't really see your sights, whether it's a red dot or irons in a lot of cases. What you'll see, is your front sight or that dot for a half a second, unless you're behind cover or far enough away from the attacker.

View Quote

The FBI does not track shooting distances and publish it. They track the distance at which an officer was killed only. That tells us absolutely nothing about the fight other than the distance it ended. LEO data varies extremely wildly from almost no data to poor data to some ok data seems the only universal data point is people don’t like to share it.

There are people who will tell you they never used there sights in a gunfight and there are people who will tell you they did.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:18:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah I don't get it either. I change batteries in my optics annually like I do my smoke detectors. And every time I put my carry gun on I get a practice draw in and verify the dot is functioning and the light works, make sure a round is chambered and the magazine is loaded, reholster it, and go about my day.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CouncilOfDave:
I don't understand.

If I left my shit sitting around long enough between range or dry fire sessions to kill a battery, I'm not hitting anything anyway when I do pick it up. I'm not John Wick, I actually have to practice.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:27:01 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

This would certainly be a concern for someone who is too inept to maintain their shit and only goes to the range once every three years or so.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#11]

FBI/LEO stats show that

View Quote

Show me those stats.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:30:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Nick_Adams:

Thanks posting that chart. About what I suspected.  Under conditions of a street confrontation occurring at real-world distances, there wouldn’t be enough of a difference to make a difference as between irons and RDSs. Again, civilians DF engagements.

Situational awareness, mindset, and having trained regularly with your (iron-sighted) EDC pistol would decide the outcome.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
Originally Posted By StevenH:
Originally Posted By SW-14:
I’m all on board the RDS train, but after seeing several posters claiming the data backs up their advantages, I would be interested in seeing it.
Post the science.

Yeah, I asked for the data twice, but yet  - fully 6 pages into this thread  -  the “RDS Faucis” have sadly failed to post any links to real-world defensive shootings to support their preaching about RDS superiority over irons in that context.

And particularly data NOT involving only L.E. or Mil engagements since L.E. and Mil folk are mission based, as another poster already pointed out.

Nope, show us the data on civilian SD shootings where the legally-armed civilian  - at a gas station, carry-out, or Walmart parking lot   - “lost” a gunfight because he engaged at or inside 25-feet with an iron-sighted pistol instead of one topped with an RDS.

Don’t want to hear about impressive “split times” racked up by all the IPSC/IDPA commandoes on lazy Sunday afternoons on their well-manicured Club ranges.

Post up the real-world shooting data, my dudes. …. Prove me wrong.

Nick,
I’m certain no such data exists. It would be very interesting to study “civilian” self defense shootings and break them down into groups. Iron sights shooter uninjured. Iron sights shooter wounded. Iron sights shooter killed. Iron sights suspect uninjured. Iron sights suspect injured. Iron sights suspect killed. Plus the same for dot sights.

But when we toss out offensive gun use; cops, criminals, gangs there’s just not that many defensive shootings outside the home in the US.

Before I retired I trained somewhere between 3,000 and 5,000 cops. I’m proud that none of my students have ever been killed or injured by gunfire or prosecuted for their own uses of deadly force. Some of them use irons, some dots and staccato with dot seems to be all the rage. But mindset, reading people and marksmanship matters way more than irons vs dot. Cops of course are paid to seek out confrontations so their experiences are only loosely related to the “civilian” gun carrier.

Cops fight isn’t over until the suspect is in handcuffs, jail or the hospital. My fights over when the criminal decides to pick a different target upon meeting unexpected level of resistance.

Quick Google Search for: "CHL Red dot encounter statistics vs irons", then set to image search.

Basically... meh
https://i0.wp.com/www.tierthreetactical.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Red-Dot-vs-Irons.png?resize=1068%2C503&ssl=1
Though again, that's 3-gun statistics, which involve speed holsters, lenses wiped, and fresh batteries; and don't account for draw hangups and slow-downs in the real world with the extra height and bulk.

Run what you want - calling everyone else just fools for not running gee-whiz bulk and complexity that they aren't asking for is a bit much.  

The lady with the P365 and good RDS, shot my P7 with irons notably better than her P365 with the RDS.  She's not you.  But that's it, most people, aren't you.  Most people shoot a lot less, practice a lot less, and just basically aren't as good.  And a nice pleasant range day from the bench with a 2 second/shot limit under your tutelage, ain't the same thing.  Get somebody afoot, and have them do draw and shoot from CHL level carry (safely), and doing so at variable distances from 3 to 10 yards, and with success criteria being 3 chest shots and not IDPA score-targets; and the RDS advantage fades fast for the unpracticed layman.  While the occasional "how do I use this? why isn't this working? where's the dot I don't see it?" stoppage, gets noticed if you're willing to not just dismiss as "oh that doesn't count because..".
RDS are great -run it.  I may get one some day.  They aren't the no-trade-offs improvement for everybody, that people in this thread act like.

Thanks posting that chart. About what I suspected.  Under conditions of a street confrontation occurring at real-world distances, there wouldn’t be enough of a difference to make a difference as between irons and RDSs. Again, civilians DF engagements.

Situational awareness, mindset, and having trained regularly with your (iron-sighted) EDC pistol would decide the outcome.

It was posted a few pages back, but apparently you and others missed it.

https://www.sagedynamics.org/_files/ugd/7dc128_6377087e72264cd18dbcb04eea4686ce.pdf

For the TLDR crowd, here are some of the key conclusions:

In 2011, Norwich University conducted a range study49 comparing the Trijicon RMR to traditional iron sights. The goal of the study was to identify an advantage in accuracy, if any, of the RMR over traditional iron sights.

It shows that, as many individuals here have stated, accuracy is improved with an RDS. In every scenario in the Norwich study, the RDS shooters were more accurate.

In 2014, Sage Dynamics began an open-ended study of MRDS accuracy compared to iron sights during force on force courses.

In a direct comparison, there is not a great discrepancy in the number of rounds fired, nor in the number of rounds that were hits, there is a large discrepancy that favors the MRDS in the number of critical hits. It’s also worth noting that the number of rounds missed is nearly twice as high with iron sights...

" />

Below is the Iron sight hitmap

One telling factor between the MRDS test group and the iron sights group was that of the 12 students that used MRDS, only 5 students had prior MRDS experience, and of those 5, the least experience was less than 1 year and the most experience was 3 years.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Gunnie357:

The FBI does not track shooting distances and publish it. They track the distance at which an officer was killed only. That tells us absolutely nothing about the fight other than the distance it ended. LEO data varies extremely wildly from almost no data to poor data to some ok data seems the only universal data point is people don’t like to share it.

There are people who will tell you they never used there sights in a gunfight and there are people who will tell you they did.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gunnie357:

FBI/LEO stats show that

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:36:04 AM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:
Irons will be left in the past.

If you don't and aren't going to train, shoot or compete, stick with Irons.

Proficiency is far more important than the sight.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:37:18 AM EDT
[#15]
after shooting irons for 25 years and then RDS. RDS has a clear advantage, but I would not recommend carrying RDS without proper instruction on how to shoot with one.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By RustedAce:
You guys think this will work for defensive ranges?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/47980/IMG_4267-3212323.jpg
View Quote

Only if you pocket carry.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:39:33 AM EDT
[#17]
You Won't See Your Sights in a Gunfight
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:41:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Krombompulos_Michael:

My Sig P320c I carry on duty had an RDS on it.  So does the G45 I used at my last USPSA match in carry optics division.  Who are you calling fudd?  The fact that some of us who put in the range time to use iron sights proficiently doesn’t make us fudds.  Like I said, I was shooting USPSA long before RDS pistol optics were a thing.  If you can’t use both it probably means you need some more range time and lessons.  

It’s not a religion.  I own them and use them.  I also know how to use iron sights.  Not a bad skill to have if your RDS shits the bed.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By S-1:
The RDS zealots are like listening to crossfitters or ketards.  Just shut the fuck up already and do what suits you.  It isn’t a religion you have to preach.  No one gives a shit.  

I have hand guns with RDS I have been using for well over a decade.   Before they were a thing I was shooting USPSA in Limited and Production and became very proficient with iron sights.  I do both.  I have carry guns with and without RDS depending on how I feel that day.  I can tear up a stage with an RDS equipped gun, but I can do the same with irons so I really don’t feel disadvantaged when I carry without.  Options are great and I enjoy being able to use both on my handguns and long arms.

I only pipe up when the Fudd Lords spew their typical BS. They're "just as good", can't answer training questions, they know exactly how their gunfight is going to go and the exact distance... blah blah.

I don't give a shit what people carry, or how they carry. 87% of this board are squared away pocket carrying gunslingers!

My Sig P320c I carry on duty had an RDS on it.  So does the G45 I used at my last USPSA match in carry optics division.  Who are you calling fudd?  The fact that some of us who put in the range time to use iron sights proficiently doesn’t make us fudds.  Like I said, I was shooting USPSA long before RDS pistol optics were a thing.  If you can’t use both it probably means you need some more range time and lessons.  

It’s not a religion.  I own them and use them.  I also know how to use iron sights.  Not a bad skill to have if your RDS shits the bed.

Cool. Using a red dot will make you better with irons.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By pinkmist:
after shooting irons for 25 years and then RDS. RDS has a clear advantage, but I would not recommend carrying RDS without proper instruction on how to shoot with one.
View Quote

Put the dot on the target,  like you put your irons on the target.  There..proper training done
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By BaconFat:

Put the dot on the target,  like you put your irons on the target.  There..proper training done
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pinkmist:

Ok folks. Bacon Fat is here, we can cross this off of the list.

See you all in a few months
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:00:33 PM EDT
[#21]
more science backing up the data

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:03:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Why are you guys making this a bigger deal than it needs to be? Stick a red dot on your G17/34/45 and go see. It absolutely blows the water out from irons.

Like anything else, you need to reasses what your needs are. Does your j-frame need an SRO? Probably not.

If you avoid diverse areas you probably won't need your gun in the first place.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:11:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Typical Dance RDS thread where the OP lights the fuse and runs away, I think the RDS guys are getting trolled.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:35:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:40:17 PM EDT
[#26]

After a range trip yesterday, my buddy and I were at lunch (it's our range-day tradition to get Mexican food).

I asked him how many iron sights have failed on his guns. He answered 4.

I then asked him how many pistol red dots have failed on his guns. He answered 1. The Sig red dot with the plastic housing that came on one of his P365s.

He asked me the same. I've had 3 sets of irons sights fail on my pistols and no red dots have failed for me.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

After a range trip yesterday, my buddy and I were at lunch (it's our range-day tradition to get Mexican food).

I then asked him how many pistol red dots have failed on his guns. He answered 1. The Sig red dot with the plastic housing that came on one of his P365s.

He asked me the same. I've had 3 sets of irons sights fail on my pistols and no red dots have failed for me.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

How long have you been shooting pistols with irons vs rds.

After 34 years of shooting handguns I've had 2 front sights fall off. I new both were loose but kept putting off fixing them.

After 10 years of using mrds I've had 1 rmr become unusable due to water in the emitter and on the lense. I couldn't even see the buis through the lense but after drying out its been fine.

I actually won't even add up all the cheap mrds I've had go down. Working at a sig dealer with a range I have no confidence in them. I don't think it's fair to lump good mrds in with the cheap ones.

I think irons that are loose are more likely to be caught by preventative maintenance while cleaning whereas mrds just kinda stop working.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:58:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

How long have you been shooting pistols with irons vs rds.

After 34 years of shooting handguns I've had 2 front sights fall off. I new both were loose but kept putting off fixing them.

After 10 years of using mrds I've had 1 rmr become unusable due to water in the emitter and on the lense. I couldn't even see the buis through the lense but after drying out its been fine.

I actually won't even add up all the cheap mrds I've had go down. Working at a sig dealer with a range I have no confidence in them. I don't think it's fair to lump good mrds in with the cheap ones.

I think irons that are loose are more likely to be caught by preventative maintenance while cleaning whereas mrds just kinda stop working.

View Quote

12 years with irons, 4 with red dots
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#29]
I still fucking hate this place
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:39:55 PM EDT
[#31]
I shot these two yesterday
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:45:11 PM EDT
[#32]

FBI/LEO stats show that

View Quote

Instinctive aiming at 15 feet.

I stopped reading there.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:00:38 PM EDT
[#33]

FBI/LEO stats show that

View Quote

Well said. Thanks for posting those real-world distance stats on civy defensive shootings. At those distances, RDSs add no discernible advantage over irons.

I’m sure all the Stoeger-wannabes and RDS Faucis will be along to dispute those facts without providing legit links to their sources.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:15:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By BigHumidity:

I stopped reading there.

View Quote

You can't instinctive shoot 15 feet?   How shitty is your index?

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

I stopped reading there.

Lol

It's good enough that the dot goes right where I want it during my draw. Hence I don't need to index shoot.

I've also found most people who claim to be able to instinctively point and shoot can't do it like they claim.

Can you draw and hit a dog at 15 feet running from your right to your left about to bite your child?

Can you draw and hit a gunman behind a store shelf while he is moving towards your family presenting a firearm?

Oh, you can draw and shoot and maybe hit an IPSC target somewhere in the silhouette on a range from a prepared position? Wow. I'm impressed.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:18:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BaconFat] [#36]

Lol

It's good enough that the dot goes right where I want it during my draw. Hence I don't need to index shoot.

I've also found most people who claim to be able to instinctively point and shoot can't do it like they claim.

Can you draw and hit a dog at 15 feet running from your right to your left about to bite your child?

Can you draw and hit a gunman behind a store shelf while he is moving towards your family presenting a firearm?

Oh, you can draw and shoot and maybe hit an IPSC target somewhere in the silhouette on a range from a prepared position? Wow. I'm impressed.
View Quote

How would I know, I don't practice any of that...you shooting a lot of running dog chasing your kid or you just making up scenarios you can tactically masterbate to....

What I can do is 8" at 50 yards.  I can shoot and transition multiple targets at speed and call and hit head shots at 25yard with a gun with no sights.  

Fucking tactical timmays with their story time
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#37]

What I can do is 8" at 50 yards.  I can shoot and transition multiple targets at speed and call and hit head shots at 25yard with a gun with no sights.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:41:24 PM EDT
[#38]

How would I know, I don't practice any of that...you shooting a lot of running dog chasing your kid or you just making up scenarios you can tactically masterbate to....

View All Quotes

Lol

Point-shooting with a pistol that has no sights?

Post a video of you doing it on steel so we can all see/hear your hits.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:47:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rudukai13] [#39]
Originally Posted By rudderbutter:

View All Quotes

Lol

While I can’t and won’t speak to BaconFat’s ability to do it, it’s not as far fetched as it sounds:

Sage Dynamics Kinesthetic Shooting

Shooting the FBI Handgun Qualification With No Sights

To be clear, both Sage Dynamics/Aaron Cowan and myself are firmly on the side of “there are no downsides to RDS on pistols, period.”

ETA: Here’s a dude shooting steel at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards with a CZ75 with no sights:

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#40]
I love red dots

But not on my carry. Nights sights only.  

I don’t want water, lint or any other shit that could build up in the new to interfere with my aim.

Red dots are better for accuracy and speed without a doubt but having shot matches in the rain or had a chunk of mud land on the lens, I’d rather have irons for my concealed carry.  I don’t think I’ll be using it to make 50yds shots and probably don’t need the irons for 10yd shots
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:54:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By MadCowRacer:
I love red dots

But not on my carry. Nights sights only.  

I don’t want water, lint or any other shit that could build up in the new to interfere with my aim.

Red dots are better for accuracy and speed without a doubt but having shot matches in the rain or had a chunk of mud land on the lens, I’d rather have irons for my concealed carry.  I don’t think I’ll be using it to make 50yds shots and probably don’t need the irons for 10yd shots
View Quote

All your listed objections can be prevented with an enclosed emitter
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:55:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Rudukai13:

While I can’t and won’t speak to BaconFat’s ability to do it, it’s not as far fetched as it sounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbZJZsf71oc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZvmzArslgs

To be clear, both Sage Dynamics/Aaron Cowan and myself are firmly on the side of “there are no downsides to RDS on pistols, period.”

ETA: Here’s a dude shooting steel at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards with a CZ75 with no sights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTQ2j4hezOQ
View All Quotes

Lol

This.   I've heard of this before. Dudes that spend the time and ammo practicing Pont shooting, can get scary-good at it.  

He might actually be right.

(Though I still like the idea of the youtube video regardless)
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

LOL.  25 yard head box without sights?

Doubt, at any speed.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:59:03 PM EDT
[#44]
It's a training issue.     but I'm slow as fk with RDS   not so much with irons
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:

LOL.  25 yard head box without sights?

Doubt, at any speed.
View Quote

no sights 8" plate 50 yards
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:01:29 PM EDT
[#46]

This.   I've heard of this before. Dudes that spend the time and ammo practicing Pont shooting, can get scary-good at it.  

View All Quotes

Lol

Sure, and Jerry Miculek can do a clean Bill Drill with an upside-down M82A1. The exception does not prove the rule.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#47]

I like how you don't show the targets after shooting them or how far the steel target is.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:06:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Never_A_Wick] [#48]

ROFL.

Video 1 isn’t 25 yards.  Not even to the far targets.  There are also no head boxes.  There are partials… and no hits shown.

No distance shown in video 2, we just take your word for it?  From a 1 second video?

Again.  Doubt.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:10:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By SV650Squid:
I have a 22/45, a gen 3 19, and a .40 2011 Limited division gun that don't have a dot.

Everything else does, including my carry gun.

I should get a cheap dot on my 22/45
View Quote

I have a cheap dot on my 22/45 and it is nice for plinking, but I would not want to carry it for hunting. It is too heavy/top heavy and it makes holster selection difficult. I have a fiber optic front sight on it and it is quite accurate with it as is. I'm considering removing the dot and keeping the irons.

(not a boomer, barely an X-er)
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:17:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:

ROFL.

Video 1 isn’t 25 yards.  Not even to the far targets.  There are also no head boxes.  There are partials… and no hits shown.

No distance shown in video 2, we just take your word for it?  From a 1 second video?

Again.  Doubt.
View Quote

You can try to make up reasons why you think it didn't happen.  But the distances are accurate and the hits are good.  I don't take videos of things I pretend I can do, I take videos of what actual GM skills are.....but you'll never have them, because instead of thinking...hey maybe I should work to get my skills at that level, you try to pretend that it is fake.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top