Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:02:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Need4Guns] [#1]
Anything that's measured in more than square footage.

This is coming from someone who has push mowed 2.5 acres in the peak of summer (an all day affair), and currently has 1.5 acres and uses a ZT (45min).

The small town suburban house I grew up in was on a 1/4 acre lot and even my penny pinching pops had a 33" Forrest Gump Snapper.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:12:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SBR300BLK:
Push mowers don't have cup holders.
View Quote

I just set my bottle of liquor on the bag.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:12:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Kanati:
This. What is your time worth?
I cut my mow time down from 6 hours to just over 2 with a zero turn that is probably a bit overkill.
View Quote

Not overkill. It's being smart (if you can afford it).  
Used to do similar regularly along with weed eating, limb pick up. Getting older it physically stresses my body out pretty good (probably dehydrated) and takes a day or so to recover now, where it didn't faze me then.  
I kind of enjoy it but its kicking my butt now.  Looking at mowers this week also.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:13:40 PM EDT
[#4]
My lot is 13500 sq feet. Big back yard and tiny front. I thought about a rider or commercial walk behind but I have 3 boys.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:14:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Cutting an acre of grass with a push mower? To hell with that.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#6]
My 1/3 acre is too much. Takes me 2.5 hours to push mow and 18 minutes on the zero turn I borrowed from a buddy of mine one day when the push mower was broken.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:22:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Inquisitive_Spaniard] [#7]
I bought a place with close to 3/4-1 acre. I bought a push mower. I dealt with it for a season. It kicked my ass. Wife insisted that the yard clippings be bagged. I was stopping every couple swipes to empty the damn bag. Combined with trimming admins cleanup it was taking me 4 hours. I was being a cheap ass. Life got busy, work was bogging me down and my wife decided to help me and mow. She mowed it ONCE. I got home from work and she said “we are buying a riding lawn mower”. One of my better purchases in the last few years.

ETA: I’m now in my early 40’s and starting to become more conscious of how my time is spent
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#8]
A little rear engine 30" is good for a quarter acre.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Under a half acre of lawn.  EGO w/power to wheels was ok.  I used a neighbor's small tractor mower and it was less physical for sure.  

i think I saved enough doing my own yard last year to buy my EGO stuff so I'd imagine even a better quality ZT would make economic sense.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#10]
That's like asking how long of a commute to justify a luxury car.  Just get what makes you happy, if you can afford it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:31:23 PM EDT
[#11]
If your lawn is big enough to piss on, you should have a riding mower.

You do piss on your lawn, don't you?

This isn't complicated.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Justify to who? Get a rider if you want one. I wouldn't walk an acre.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:36:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DADGAD:
Serious question. How many passes is that on your zero turn? That has to take all of twelve minutes.
View Quote

It's a 50in too, so not many.
I actually mow my neighbors front yard along with mine, just because.
Maybe 15 minutes in the front and 10 in the back. Playground equipment and the raised beds in the back take a little maneuvering.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Kharn:

Kharn
View Quote

Covered.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:43:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By dtux:
We have just over an acre of lawn and I'm starting to think that a rider might not be a bad idea.
View Quote

You’re push mowing an acre? What’s that take….like 6 or 7 hours?

Maybe you should stick with it. I wish I was healthy enough to push mow an acre.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:43:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: anesvick] [#16]
We have 4 acres of grass, the 50" Cub cadet tractor I have will mow it in under 2 hours if I mow.  Takes my wife about 4 hours, because the stripes have to be perfect.

If it were just me, I'd probably have gotten a ZT, but my wife likes to mow and cannot steer a conventional ZT to save her life and it's not like we have a ton of obstacles anyway. Next mower will probably be one of those Cub ZTs with a steering wheel.

If you have more than a half acre of actual grass, a rider is worth it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I did about an acre for a while then said screw it and got a ztr
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fxntime:

Kharn

Covered.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/32224/20210327_114558_jpg-3211835.JPG
I couldn't get that much past the kitchen table budget committee, so I had to settle for it's baby brother, the z422.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:50:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Lived in cookie cutter HOA suburbia for a few years. Had a neighbor that would always complain if I didn't mow the lawn regularly. Mowing the lawn when it's 100+ sucks. So I bought the smallest riding mower that would fit through the side gate. Swapped the starting solenoid to a car solenoid. Ran that thing for years without an issue from then on.

Still sucked, but it sucked a lot less than having to use a push mower.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#20]
When we moved into our 1 acre place I immediately bought a riding mower. I then found out that 3/4 of it is mountain grass that you just let grow all year. So I have a fairly small chunk to actually mow. But I won’t let it go, the grass looks fantastic when I use the rider.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:54:53 PM EDT
[#21]
This is GD . Anything over 400 sq ft requires a $90000 Zero turn with a minimum of 100hp and the deck must be 3/4" AR 500 or your just poor .
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:59:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I finally went to a rider when my yard hit 1/2 acre.  My limited time was too valuable for me to waste spending a solid 3 hours doing all the yardwork.  With the rider, if I go min edging and blowing it only takes 45 minutes.  Time back in my hands to do something fun.  If you're young and have more time on your hands than cash, a push mower works just fine too.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:02:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I couldn't get that much past the kitchen table budget committee, so I had to settle for it's baby brother, the z422.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fxntime:

Kharn

Covered.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/32224/20210327_114558_jpg-3211835.JPG

All I'll say is that I had better die before it does.

OTOH, it's gone up about 1/3 in price since I bought it at the beginning of the covid scare. That should scare everyone.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:18:41 PM EDT
[#24]
.5 acres in grass here.  I used it mow it with a Honda self-propelled in about 50-60 min. if I used the bagger.  Now I have a John Deere 170 and it takes about 25 min.  IN the hot Utah Summer sun I'll take the Deere every time.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:35:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By SideSwipeYa:
Over a half acre I wouldn’t be walking it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:43:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kharn] [#26]
Originally Posted By Tjcj:
This is GD . Anything over 400 sq ft requires a $90000 Zero turn with a minimum of 100hp and the deck must be 3/4" AR 500 or your just poor .
View Quote

My dumbass brother actually looked at buying a 72" zero turn for his 0.2 acre lot. Yes, a fifth of an acre. It would have cost $25+k.

He did a whole comparison vs a 22" push mower vs a 42" lawn tractor vs a normal zero turn, for cost, expected lifespan in hours, time required to cover the square footage of the yard at half the maximum operating speed, value of his time each week vs cost of mower, etc. At the end, it was a substantial savings vs the other options per his metrics because he said he valued his weekend hours at like $200/hr and he expected the machine to last 40 years because each cut was to take less than 8 minutes.

The dealer refused to sell to him as it was a commercial machine. My brother tried to get him to sell it by saying it was for our parents' property management company and the guy still refused.

I gave him my old 30" John Deere RX75 rear engine rider when I upgraded to an X350 and he has been perfectly happy with a little maintenance here and there.

MBAs.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#27]
My son is on .3 of an acre and he was gifted a rather large broken riding mower. He fixed it and mows with it. It is overdone.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:47:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By 2001WS6:
Zero Turn is what you want
View Quote

One place is .3 acres and it’s doable in a long hour with a. Self propelled lawn mower. 1 acre is an hour with a zero turn including pickup of branches.  3 acres that was a foot high was an afternoon with multiple passes with a zero turn. Really need a small tractor.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#29]
We have just over an acre of lawn and I'm starting to think that a rider might not be a bad idea.
View Quote

Do it with a self propelled push mower and your body will thank you in the long run.

Also God gave man kids so they could mow lawns.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:44:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By CTM1:

Do it with a self propelled push mower and your body will thank you in the long run.

View All Quotes

One problem here is mole/gopher mounds. While I’m trying to remove them, in the meantime the non zero turn rider mower allows for the front tires to smash the mound and blades on high don’t hit the dirt.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Waldo:

It's your money. Who do you have to justify it to?
View Quote

Yup.

There are guys with $7,000 reel mowers out there.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:47:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Best decision I’ve made was get a zero turn for my lawn.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:41:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DesignatedMarksman] [#33]
Originally Posted By Kingstrider:
Old school mowers don't have cup holders either.
https://i.imgur.com/tLSfMIgh.jpg
View Quote
@Kingstrider That's a beauty man, what year is it?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:42:54 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

Time versus money. Your decision. I cut a pile of grass.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a kid so it takes me about 20 minutes a year to mow my lawn I mean get the gas for the mower
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:02:55 AM EDT
[#36]
At the end of the day, the answer to OP is: How much riding mower can you afford? Like I said earlier, all I had when we moved here was a walk-behind weed trimmer. Now I have a riding mower. If it breaks down I may be moved to commit arson.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:06:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OverScoped] [#37]
I have one acre.
I have the most basic John Deere riding mower. 42 inch
It's fine for this size yard.

I have the S100 model. Lever actuated blade engagement...so no electric clutch to break.
Also it has a real oil filter...not a quick change cartridge.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:08:01 AM EDT
[#38]
I moved after buying a 48 inch kubota zt, its my second zt my first was a 60, into a house with a postage stamp yard.  Some of my neighbors think its awesome and im sure some think im a tard.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#39]
How do you drink beer(s) with a ZTM without stopping?  Wear one of those can hats?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:43:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By mikeuniform:
How do you drink beer(s) with a ZTM without stopping?  Wear one of those can hats?
View Quote

Once you get going in a straight line, you shift your grip so you have both handles together in one hand, the other hand grabs the beer for a sip.
Or they sell some models with a steering wheel. A friend is on his second one. It's about as dumb as riding a bike with training wheels as an adult.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#41]
I say 1/2 acre. I have an acre that takes me a half a day once a week to mow, weed eat, edge, & blow. I don't always do it all in the same day though. At a half acre, unless you're a youngster, I'd say the biggest advantage would be you'd wouldn't be as tired after mowing
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:03:49 PM EDT
[#42]
How big of a lawn to justify a riding mower you ask, when you look at your lawn and say "Fuck that I'm not pushing a mower for all that"  

That's when it's justified... now how big of a riding mower do you need to mow what you have is another question and I would say it's better to have a little too much mower than not enough

FWIW I use to own 5 acres and had to mow almost 4 and I had a Ferris zero turn with a 60" deck and could mow it in just under an hour. Looked like a golf course when I was done
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:05:49 PM EDT
[#43]
If [how long does it take to push mow] divided by [how long do I want to mow] > 1 than get a rider.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#44]

Once you get going in a straight line, you shift your grip so you have both handles together in one hand, the other hand grabs the beer for a sip.
Or they sell some models with a steering wheel. A friend is on his second one. It's about as dumb as riding a bike with training wheels as an adult.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mikeuniform:

Kharn

The ZT mower would be cool to try out, but the current state of the terrain seems like it would uncomfortable, maybe dangerous due to the plentiful mounds and ruts. The tractor style has cup holders.

All I know is the prices for them has EXPLODED for the homeowner variations, not to even mention the commercial versions.

I just looked up the model years of the mowers here,
MTD-2006
John Deere, L110, 2003/2004
John Deere, D105auto, 2015ish

Dang, for How good they still look, I didn’t expect them to be that old.

I’m just happy the goats/cow liked the dried clippings from the grass, and the hour or so that I spent collecting it with the pull-behind collector thing was not wasted. They ate a wheel barrel full before I even had time to load the second one.😂.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Torf:
If [how long does it take to push mow] divided by [how long do I want to mow] > 1 than get a rider.
View Quote

What if that number is like 48? With a ride on mower.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:48:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MADMAXXX] [#46]
I mowed 3 acres with a lot of trees to mow around.
The previous owner gave me his old Sears Craftsman riding mower when i bought the house.
It took about 6 hours to mow with that mower as going around all of the trees were a pain in the ass.
I spent $6500 on a ZTM and could check my oil, fill the gas, and mow the entire yard in 30 minutes.
My coworker said "you must like to mow grass if you spent $6500 on a mower".
I said no I hate mowing grass that's why I spent $6500 on a mower.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:14:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By MADMAXXX:
I mowed 3 acres with a lot of trees to mow around.
The previous owner gave me his old Sears Craftsman riding mower when i bought the house.
It took about 6 hours to mow with that mower as going around all of the trees were a pain in the ass.
I spent $6500 on a ZTM and could check my oil, fill the gas, and mow the entire yard in 30 minutes.
My coworker said "you must like to mow grass if you spent $6500 on a mower".
I said no I hate mowing grass that's why I spent $6500 on a mower.
View Quote

30mins? I wanna see video.

I’ll probably mow the grass on Tuesday again, so that it it’s not 8-12 inches tall and time it.

I should time the neighbor with his zero turn, he’s got about 3.5-4 acres of hilly but flat lawn with several trees in it to compare.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:20:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Actually very simple…you divide your lazy quotient by zero then proceed to buy one. Bonus points if you finance it over 10 years
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:28:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheAvatar9265ft] [#49]
I was happy when the 1980s bagged push mower died.

Self-propelled mulching mower vs 0.37acres on a slope in the summer heat and humidity was OK as a teen. Didn't warrant a rider, but if I was an adult? Yea rider.

I love not having to mow my lawn. I just let it grow and weed whack walking paths and around the driveway. If I had to mow a lawn, I'd buy a robot mower.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By gunnut003:

One problem here is mole/gopher mounds. While I’m trying to remove them, in the meantime the non zero turn rider mower allows for the front tires to smash the mound and blades on high don’t hit the dirt.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gunnut003:

Also,if you use a self propelled with the bag attached and it's front wheel drive,when the bag starts getting full the mower will pop wheelies
so you lose traction on the self propelled wheels.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top