Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:28:37 PM EDT
[#1]
my friends breed them. $4500 a pop. they sell several dozen a year.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:35:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:36:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Current one

Attachment Attached File

his predecessor

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:37:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: www-glock19-com] [#4]
Neighbors have a golden doodle and a St Bernard Poodle mix .

They are both sweet dogs but holy shit the St Bernard one is a massive goofy block head , leaves horse sized shits all over their yard LOL.

He fucking loves me for some reason and always comes visits when he escapes
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:38:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I have no advice, as ours came from a rescue group and was a work arrangement.

I do have pics, though. He's a truly ridiculous creature, but he's sweet and playful. A great pet, overall, in spite of his uncanny resemblance to a bath mat.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:41:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jack_Rackham:
Just get a Standard Poodle.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/90884/8VIrhtc8RGaFq763L_aHIw_jpeg-3211546.JPG
View Quote

Standard Poodle FTMFW.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:48:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Do your homework, make sure you get their lineage and genetic tests, and prepare to spend all your time giving belly rubs.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:14:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tmm1270] [#8]
Originally Posted By snackle:

Get one with a volhard test.

https://www.appenzellers.org/uploads/6/0/7/4/60747419/volhards_puppy_aptitude_test.pdf
View Quote

I say this without any ill will towards you sir, but this “test” is made up bullshit. If a man/woman could pick a puppy with even 30% accuracy, for desirable traits, whatever they may be, based on this “test” of any other , he’d /she’d be filthy ass rich.

It’s the equivalent of going to a teeball game watching 4 yr olds, and looking for Nolan Ryan ,
Eta…
Attachment Attached File

Stuck in mud at the time, but you get the idea

I don’t care if somebody buys dog, or gets one for free .  Anybody claiming they have a test for puppies , or has some sort of dog training certification/degree/ ect , is a tool
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:21:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#9]
Originally Posted By DrMark:
So... someone in the family wants a GoldenDoodle.  They love Goldens but they had always been a non-starter due to allergies; Doodles have opened the opportunity up.
View Quote

Don't buy into the "doodles/poodles are hypoallergenic" hype.  It's about 5% "sort of" and 95% BS.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:26:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Go SEE the parent and thats no guarantee.

My neighbor has one, and it's the most spastic dog I have ever seen.  He honestly can't stand the dog.

Business acquaintance bought one, said it's the dumbest dog he's owned, but it's a good family dog.  Got another one (wife and daughter wanted another)...he said it's got a screw loose.

Again, no guarantee seeing the parents, but I would be reasonable regarding expectations.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:30:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RattleCanAR] [#11]
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:

Don't buy into the "doodles/poodles are hypoallergenic" hype.  It's about 5% "sort of" and 95% BS.
View Quote

F1B

75/25 poodle. Don’t shed.

Mine is a goof but extremely smart and very trainable.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

F1B

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:

F1B

Neither do poodles, but you can be sure of it, unlike with doodles.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:39:09 AM EDT
[#13]
We got ours from these folks.

https://www.hunningtonfarms.com/

They have been doing this a long time. If you are in and around New Orleans and see a doodle, it came from that place. My buddy is on his second doodle from there. Great dogs
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:40:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Easy, just go to the  GoldenDoodle store.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:45:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AA717driver] [#15]
Originally Posted By mnew007:
We love our F1. His dad was the standard poodle, purebred. Mom was the golden, also purebred. Almost no sheddding. Very very smart. Excitable, love able and takes discipline.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/67457/ABC742D7-63C0-43C0-8211-ACE282E89DB3-3201682.jpg
View Quote

This. Except mine sheds enough for the rest of the breed. Smart. Devious. You can’t put things far enough out of reach. Mine would get Kleenex or napkins from the farthest reaches of the counter.

He ate an entire Donatos double pepperoni pizza I left on the stove for my son.

I will look for another first gen doodle when Nugent passes.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Naamah:

View Quote

We get it.

You like nothing but AKC dogs.

We love our doodles so start your own thread.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:52:16 AM EDT
[#17]
A Retriever and  Poodle fall in love
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:53:05 AM EDT
[#18]
The official doodle pose

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:57:45 AM EDT
[#19]
The majority of vets and trainers say that labradoodles are about the worst breed you can own.

Not sure if that translates over to other doodles or not.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:06:58 AM EDT
[#20]

We get it.

View All Quotes

We get it.

I like responsibly, ethically bred dogs from responsible, ethical breeders. Not all AKC dogs fit that definition, and there are non-AKC dogs that do fit that definition. Doodles, by and large, do not.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:07:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gearjammer351] [#21]
Hide yo socks.

Nevermind - they will find them anyway. Might as well just give the critter your least favorite ones and hope that it will leave the good ones alone.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:10:56 AM EDT
[#22]

I like responsibly, ethically bred dogs from responsible, ethical breeders. Not all AKC dogs fit that definition, and there are non-AKC dogs that do fit that definition. Doodles, by and large, do not.
View All Quotes

We get it.

How do you feel about someone breeding their dog once and then never doing it again?  Basically, not a breeder, but someone that has a male and female and says what the hell, let's see what happens.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Silas:
The majority of vets and trainers say that labradoodles are about the worst breed you can own.

View Quote

I've never heard this, ever, but I don't run in those circles.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:19:20 AM EDT
[#24]
We love our F1. His dad was the standard poodle, purebred. Mom was the golden, also purebred. Almost no sheddding. Very very smart. Excitable, love able and takes discipline.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/67457/ABC742D7-63C0-43C0-8211-ACE282E89DB3-3201682.jpg
View Quote

Looks like mine .  For those who say just get a poodle, I like the wavy hair coat versus the poodles curly hair.  Regarding the no shedding, it's great but somewhat offset by the time maintaining their coat.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:27:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Into_the_Void:

How do you feel about someone breeding their dog once and then never doing it again?  Basically, not a breeder, but someone that has a male and female and says what the hell, let's see what happens.
View All Quotes

We get it.

Have they done the appropriate health testing? That includes (but may not be limited to) hips, knees, elbows, hearts, eyes, and genetic disorders. Have they ensured their dogs have appropriate temperaments and working abilities? Have they ensured that their dogs are physically sound (no roach backs, straight stifles, sickle hocks, in standing canines, straight shoulders, etc.) and free from physical problems that could be passed down to puppies and cause orthopedic or dental problems? Do they provide health guarantees and offer to take puppies back if for whatever reason the new owners can’t keep them? Are they willing to keep any puppy they can’t find a home for?

If the answers to those questions are all yes, I don’t care what two dogs they throw together. They’re being responsible and ethical. If the answer is no, then they’re neither responsible nor ethical and shouldn’t be breeding dogs.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:35:36 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Just stop. We understand your position. Don’t care.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:42:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LatentUser] [#27]
whoops…
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:44:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Into_the_Void] [#28]

Have they done the appropriate health testing? That includes (but may not be limited to) hips, knees, elbows, hearts, eyes, and genetic disorders. Have they ensured their dogs have appropriate temperaments and working abilities? Have they ensured that their dogs are physically sound (no roach backs, straight stifles, sickle hocks, in standing canines, straight shoulders, etc.) and free from physical problems that could be passed down to puppies and cause orthopedic or dental problems? Do they provide health guarantees and offer to take puppies back if for whatever reason the new owners can’t keep them? Are they willing to keep any puppy they can’t find a home for?

If the answers to those questions are all yes, I don’t care what two dogs they throw together. They’re being responsible and ethical. If the answer is no, then they’re neither responsible nor ethical and shouldn’t be breeding dogs.
View All Quotes

We get it.

Here's what I know...

They took both of their dogs to their vet, told them their plan and asked if it was okay.  Both Mom and Dad got some sort of tests done and they got the green light.  Puppies had everything done at the vet that was needed.  As for everything else, the answer is yes.

Honestly it was the best dog buying experience.  Seeing all the pictures and videos of the parents through the whole thing, seeing where they were raised, seeing them play in the house with family, and us hanging out with the puppies and parents for a couple hours.  

Edit - the wife did say "never again"
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:45:09 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:47:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LatentUser] [#30]
Originally Posted By Stlrain0341:
Do your homework, make sure you get their lineage and genetic tests, and prepare to spend all your time giving belly rubs.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/90249/IMG_1375_jpeg-3212188.JPG
View Quote

All of this!   Also, prepare for anything at mouth accessible level to be in their mouth at least once.    We have 2, that are two years old and they are finally showing signs of not wanting to chew furniture or the walls.    They are both great with kids and are mostly two of the smartest dogs I’ve owned.

That said, ”highly energetic”, is an understatement.

Edit:  we got ours from a well regarding breeder in the area that had records and history for a not insignificant number of generations back for our F1Bs. They weren’t a puppy mill, and limited breeding pairs/times.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:49:39 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

That is one of the worst things that can happen…

A good breeder does so many things for the dog and the standard that few people see.

When you buy a dog from a reputable, well established breeder you aren’t just getting a dog, you are getting a breed standard dog and all that comes with it.  This includes a long lineage of health checks, and ethical breeding that will weed out the bad traits and enhance the good.  You are getting a standard, repeatable animal, with known traits and health.

With backyard breeders or breeders of mutts, you get a dog that may or may not possess the traits and standards of one of the parents.  The results in one litter can be all over the place.

Are mutts bad?  Hell no, but anyone who buys a mutt of indeterminate lineage and standards, looking for the traits of either of the parents, often at much higher cost than a well bred AKC level dog, is a fool.

Throwing out F1 F1a, blah blah blah is just a way that mutt breeders have developed to continue to dupe people into buying the puppy mill dogs.

People here, and in general, do get good dogs out of their Doodles.  Some even admit that they shed, which we have all been told they don’t.  Of course.

Often, the good overlooks the bad and the smug is so thick that doodle owners refuse to see the bad.

Does that make the dogs bad?

No.

Almost all dogs are amazing creatures and make great companions for humans.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:50:41 AM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

They are often trainwrecks healthwise, behavior-wise, and hygiene-wise due to lack of ethical breeding and owners who don’t understand what they are doing.

I know many groomers that simply won’t groom doodles unless the owners start with them when the dogs are puppies and keep up with in between groom maintenance and hair care.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:50:45 AM EDT
[#33]
The official doodle pose

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/220444/20240317_074435_jpg-3212365.JPG
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

My girl did the same
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:52:11 AM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

Ethics and responsibility are for the birds, hmm?

I can think of a lot of conservatives who lament their loss, but apparently not as many as one might think.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#35]
We have 2 awesome doodles. Neither sheds. They do require daily brushing with a slicker brush or they will mat up. Our next dog will be a standard poodle.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:56:58 AM EDT
[#36]

I can think of a lot of conservatives who lament their loss, but apparently not as many as one might think.
View All Quotes

You're coming across bitchy, but I get it.  I live in puppy mill capital of the world.  Outsiders think the Amish are wonderful, they are pieces of shit, treat animals especially dogs like shit, and do anything to fuck the "English" out of a dollar.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#37]
When we picked up our doodle we had a full binder full of genetic testing that had been performed on the mom (F1 Doodle), her parents, and the sire (Standard AKC poodle).

Our breeder did a lot of work on breeding her dogs.

We paid a bit more for this vs a run of the mill doodle that are all over FB Marketplace, but we got an amazing dog in return.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

I'm sure the trainers don't want you to get a Doodle because they are too easy to train yourself.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:01:41 AM EDT
[#39]
We are the support staff and entertainment for the F1b golden doodle that owns our house. I jest, mostly.

Attachment Attached File

She is a truly fantastic dog that at 3 years old shows no signs of slowing down her puppy energy. She was easy to train and will lick you to death. That said, the previous comments on grooming and brushing do apply.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:03:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Naamah] [#40]

You're coming across bitchy, but I get it.  I live in puppy mill capital of the world.  Outsiders think the Amish are wonderful, they are pieces of shit, treat animals especially dogs like shit, and do anything to fuck the "English" out of a dollar.
View All Quotes

To be fair, I’m being told to shut up for advocating for responsibility and ethics.

And when you have many municipalities banning breeding entirely due to irresponsible breeders and overflowing animal shelters, the people breeding irresponsibly and unethically endanger the ability of responsible, ethical people to continue breeding ethically and responsibly even though they’re doing nothing to contribute to the problems.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:08:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Why wouldn't someone just buy a standard poodle and feel much more certain that the dog would be hypoallergenic?

Seems like a gamble buying a mixed breed
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:09:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Hands down one of the best dogs I've ever had. He's an F1 and about 90 pounds now. We got him from a couple who, I suspect, were going to breed him. Fortunately for us, their daughter was scared of him because he was a little bit of a jumper so he basically lived in a crate in the back yard.
Super smart and loves almost everyone he meets. Easily the most affectionate dog we've had. For a while, his groomer would keep him all day because she loved having him around.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

My son came home from college for the summer yesterday. I think the dog missed his boy.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:16:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Just pick one breed or the other. They are very different breeds with not much predictability in which traits will exist in the mixed breed.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:17:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: akrado] [#44]
I've got a golden ret. with nuts.
Bring him a hot, tight poodle bitch and you can have a litter full of them for free.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:19:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By joekizanyu:
If you're really allergic to Golden Doodles, give them golden showers on a regular basis.
View Quote

Post of the year.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#46]
I never met a golden doodle with a bad temperament. One of my good friends life long bachlor has one and he his great
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:27:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StromBusa] [#47]
Mini Goldendoodle from the Amish in mid-Ohio
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#48]

To be fair, I’m being told to shut up for advocating for responsibility and ethics.

And when you have many municipalities banning breeding entirely due to irresponsible breeders and overflowing animal shelters, the people breeding irresponsibly and unethically endanger the ability of responsible, ethical people to continue breeding ethically and responsibly even though they’re doing nothing to contribute to the problems.
View All Quotes

Nobody is advocating for irresponsible breeding. What people are taking issue with is 1. The idea that all doodles are the product of irresponsible breeding and 2. The idea that doodles are inherently bad because of shitty owners.

By all means, make sure people are aware of the time or money requirements for maintaining their coats. Make sure people are aware for the need for training.

But the idea that they are all awful dogs and no trainer or groomer will touch them will just get you justifiably laughed at.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:42:57 AM EDT
[#49]

You will never convince me that's not a schnoodle
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:21:50 PM EDT
[#50]

Nobody is advocating for irresponsible breeding. What people are taking issue with is 1. The idea that all doodles are the product of irresponsible breeding and 2. The idea that doodles are inherently bad because of shitty owners.

By all means, make sure people are aware of the time or money requirements for maintaining their coats. Make sure people are aware for the need for training.

But the idea that they are all awful dogs and no trainer or groomer will touch them will just get you justifiably laughed at.
View All Quotes

Anyone buying from a breeder who does not do the necessary health testing, structural evaluations, temperament evaluations, etc. absolutely is, and furthermore sponsoring it with their money.

Fact is, the vast majority of doodles come from breeders who aren’t doing any of the things necessary to be ethical or responsible. The ones who are, are very thin on the ground and will usually require travel and time on a wait list to get a pup.

And quite a lot of (not all, but a lot of) doodle owners aren’t good owners. They don’t train their dogs. They don’t groom their dogs. They let them run amok and bother other people and dogs. They don’t do their research, and they don’t give a fig for how the dogs that produced their doodles are kept. Again, not all, but enough that a lot of people who work with dogs on a regular basis will tell you that doodles and their owners are more often than not a mess. Doodle owners get stereotyped just as much as pit bull owners.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top