Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:09:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:14:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I like suppressors because the OP does not.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:15:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Krombompulos_Michael] [#3]
A loudener is what you seek OP:

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I love shooting .300blk w/subs suppressed.

I can't convince myself to buy an RC2. It will make my 10.3" MK18 a little quieter but also add enough length that it's close to my Colt a4 OAL.

I love my Q Honey Badger and Trash Panda..
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:22:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I get your point OP, but tinnitus is a bitch.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Did you say something?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:47:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ridgerunner9876] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By southerncross:

Regale me of your stories of killing hogs with an airsoft gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:
Suppressors are not dumb, but I believe they have a limited practical use case. I use mine all the time shooting pests at night.

That's what airsoft and air rifles are for.....I have stories. All the way down to hand to paw and with a forged tomahawk.

Regale me of your stories of killing hogs with an airsoft gun.

Way worse than hogs.

Mice. In. My. House.

Here's the first one. @southerncross

I can't find the first one with the airsoft. This'll have to do.

Intruder in My Daughter's Bedroom  by Ridgerunner9876

So, I'm sitting on the couch, watching TV when I hear a crash in the back bedroom. I hear the wife go into the room and proceed to ask the cat,"What are you doing? Do you have a mouse in here?" She was joking about the mouse part until said varmint darted out from under the bed. Fuzzball (the cat) likes to catch mice. She likes to play with mice. She's not good in the killing department. I make my way to the bedroom to see the wife dancing like Sugar Ray Leonard and Fuzzy repeatedly catching and releasing the mouse.

I decide to take action. I went to the kitchen to grab a plastic bag, figuring I could just grab the mouse and squash it, if the cat still had him cornerd.I assumed he'd be half dead by the time I got back anyway. Well, the mouse was a sneaky and fast little rodent and had gotten away. He was currently hiding behind the toy kitchen unit. I thought,"I've got 'im now. I'll just smash him between the baseboard and kitchen. I give a shove and the wicked little monster jumps up ontop of the baseboard. I had run out of room and he was safe there.

I've been in similar situations before. You may recall my last household safari involving a mouse, a cedar chest and a glock airsoft pistol. I was undergunned with that pistol. It failed to achieve necessary penetration for the first two shots. This resulted in a charge from the mouse and I could have easily lost the end of my nose if it weren't for my lightning fast ninja roll. (I was on my belly shooting underneath the chest when charged). I would not make the same mistake again.

As I walked through the house toward the garage (hoping the little beast would stay put) I saw my 1911 .45acp laying beside the couch on my table. I briefly thought of the carnage I could wreak with that instrument of destruction. I quickly abandoned that idea when I thought of what the wife would think. I'm a fan of Robert Ruark and his book,"Use Enough Gun". I had to admit this would be a bit of an overkill. I proceeded to the garage and retrieved the appropriate tool for the job.

I returned with my Beeman Tempest .177 caliber spring piston air pistol. Said weapon propels a 10 grain .177 caliber pellet at about 450 feet per second. This should be more than enough. I had it cocked and locked as I re-entered the bedroom. As I jockied around the room, I contemplated on taking the safety off, or not. I didn't want a negligent discharge with the Wife and Fuzzy in the room but I knew that I may need to make a snap shot on a fastly moving quarry and the safety was an awkward one. I decided to get into position with the gun and my surefire pocket flashlight.

The space between the wall and the toy kitchen was only as wide as the baseboard making for a difficult shot. I pressed the gun against the wall and held my flashlight to where I could see the mouse. He looked huge, with sharp claws and snarling teeth dripping with what I knew was bacteria infested saliva. I knew that I had to connect with the first shot. The memory of the charge I narrowly escaped during the last incident was nagging the back of my mind. I lined up the sights for a head shot (the only sure thing on a creature this tough and nasty), carefully and squeezed the quality Beeman trigger ( a noticable improvment over the "toy" with which I dispatched the last maurader in my house...the airsoft glock). The pistol bucked in my clenched and sweating hand. The mouse didn't reaact. How could I have missed? I reloaded the pistol and retook my position. I decided to move the kitchen and take my chances on a possible running shot. The mouse fell to the carpeting and the carnage was, then, clearly visible. The pellet had entered the eye of the beast and traveresed what must have been at least 3/8" of increadibly tough mouse skull and brain, glanced off the baseboard and came to rest in the carpet. The resulting wound left a considerable mess under the mouse, as one could imagine.

The wife insisted that I be the one to dispose of the body AND clean the mess. Well I got to shoot, but I didn't need a shovel, and was certainly not going to shut up about it.

I was sad that I took a head shot, after thinkin about it. The ruined trophy would take massive amounts of work to sew back into anything resembling the magnificent beast. I have no room on my wall for a pieced together, substandard mouse mount. Next one, I may try to take with a bow and arrow. I'm really looking for a Boone and Crocket scored trophy
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TheAmaazingCarl:
Suppressors are basic safety equipment to make firearms hearing safe, and if not for BS laws be standard 99% of the time.

If you say you think suppressors are dumb do you still use earplugs/muffs or are they dumb too?
View Quote

I wouldn’t call anything that isn’t a suppressed subsonic round “hearing safe”, it’s more like much less uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Found the first one.

Living Room Safari #1

Sitting on my couch last night during Jeopardy, I see an adolecent mouse dart out from behind the cedar chest. My cat was lazily stretched out in her windsor chair that she stole from me. My two dogs were asleep 5 feet away from the culprit and didn't lift even an eyebrow.

I was armed with my micro compact 1911 but I figured that would be a bit too much gun and the wife would probably be mad as she was sitting on the couch next to the cedar chest. My second thought was my Beeman Tempest air pistol but after consideration of the velocity of said weapon and size of the mouse, overpenetration was still a concern. I didn't want a hole in my woodwork, even a .177 hole. Alas, I thought of my airsoft Glock replica spring piston. Ammo was 6 mm plastic balls at approx 200fps.

I went and retrieved the pistol and my Surefire Backup (which, btw, I've been very happy with as an edc light). I scrounged 5 rounds from the bottom of the tub of airsoft/paintball crap that has been sitting in the basement for years, loaded the magazine and chambered a round.

Now the chest in question has only about a 1.5 inch opening at the bottom so I lay down flat with the gun horizontal and the light on the floor. I press the side of my face against the floor and spy my adversary backed into the rear most corner... about a 5 foot shot from where I lay. It took some effort to get a decent site picture and after calculating the proper hold under due to the sites not having to work against gravity, I squeezed off the first shot.

I belive it just touched his hind quarters. The reason I know this is he came charging out from under the chest directly toward my face and got within about 6 inches of my nose. He was far too fast and I was in much too awkward a position from which to rechamber my pistol. I did the only thing I could... retreat about 3 feet by carefully employing a ninja roll.

My wife was getting great enjoyment out of the whole spectacle. The mouse, not so much, I suspect.

I rechambered and went for shot #2. Repositioned and "doink" a broadside shot right behind his shoulder. The damn airsoft didn't achieve penetration, but the blunt trauma must have been tremendous, relatively. The mouse rolled over and kicked once. He lay still for about 30 seconds and then regained his feet. CRAP. OK, time for a head shot. I lined up my sites very carefully and with as much control as possible squeezed the chinese copy of an already poor Glock trigger. "Doink" . Yep, right in the side of the head. That was all she wrote. He was DRT.

I moved the chest and retrieved my quarry. I contemplated skinning and mounting it as my first airsoft trophy but I think I'll wait for a bigger one. Anyone know how Pope and Young scores mice?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:57:36 PM EDT
[#10]
If shooting was dead silent I would like it even more.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:58:24 PM EDT
[#11]
You drive a Harley without a muffler, don't you?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:59:07 PM EDT
[#12]
22 suppressed shooting steel had me giggling like a schoolgirl all afternoon. Was more fun than 5.56. A suppressor is definitely on my “must buy” list.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not quite sure how anyone would benefit from trying to convince someone else either for, or against suppressors.  Do whatever makes you happy, and other folks will do the same.  

I don't have a dog in this fight, so I really don't care if anyone likes, or dislikes suppressors as my life will continue whether someone else likes or dislikes suppressors.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Seriously though, it's borderline rude to shoot in public without one.  I say borderline because the nfa makes it inconvenient and more expensive so it's not quite reasonable to expect of everyone.

But if you have the means but choose not to at a public range because you like loud noises...yeah, that just being obnoxious to your fellow shooters.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:03:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:
You drive a Harley without a muffler, don't you?
View Quote

I did. Bikes are too dangerous nowdays. Too many idiots out there. I'd drive an M35 if it was practical.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#16]

I did. Bikes are too dangerous nowdays. Too many idiots out there. I'd drive an M35 if it was practical.
View Quote

Guy I sold one to got flipped by a drunk driver in an f350 and his two passengers were crushed.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:05:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Genin:
I'm not quite sure how anyone would benefit from trying to convince someone else either for, or against suppressors.  Do whatever makes you happy, and other folks will do the same.  

I don't have a dog in this fight, so I really don't care if anyone likes, or dislikes suppressors as my life will continue whether someone else likes or dislikes suppressors.
View Quote

Reasonableness has no place in GD and ain't no fun.

If one can't show blind passion on a topic regardless of logic or others' reasoned points, they're a drag. Change my mind
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Seriously though, it's borderline rude to shoot in public without one.  I say borderline because the nfa makes it inconvenient and more expensive so it's not quite reasonable to expect of everyone.

But if you have the means but choose not to at a public range because you like loud noises...yeah, that just being obnoxious to your fellow shooters.
View Quote

It's rude to shoot guns at a range?

I do the majority of my shooting on family property in the middle of nowhere on 200 acres of hills and woods. Hills tall enough to shoot trap with an M1a. Spent one summer and about 4 cases of FNM and I don't know how many cartons of birds to the point I could hit about 50% out of a ground thrower.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:10:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Guy I sold one to got flipped by a drunk driver in an f350 and his two passengers were crushed.
View Quote

A deuce and a half flipped?

That's horrible. DD are right up there with thieves in my book. Law is way too easy on them especially when they cause death or injury. Should treat them as if they'd done it with a rifle.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:11:26 PM EDT
[#20]
The 2a is not a spectator sport.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#21]
People on private land definitely are being courteous to their neighbors when they use them.  True, it doesn't eliminate the noise, but with enough a distance it can make a noticable difference.  Neighbors can support the 2A passionately, but it is still nice to make sure they can enjoy the quiet use of their land to the greatest extent possible.

Also, I like my hearing. Not sure how old the OP is, but now that I'm in my 40's and have suffered enough hearing loss over the years I'd like to preserve what I have left to the best of my ability.  Using a suppressor and good ear pro together definitely helps protect your hearing.  Hell, I'm at the age now that I bring ear plugs to rock concerts just in case. Hearing loss adds up and it's not fixable.  

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:17:16 PM EDT
[#22]
My silencer has a silencer.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:
People on private land definitely are being courteous to their neighbors when they use them.  True, it doesn't eliminate the noise, but with enough a distance it can make a noticable difference.  Neighbors can support the 2A passionately, but it is still nice to make sure they can enjoy the quiet use of their land to the greatest extent possible.

Also, I like my hearing. Not sure how old the OP is, but now that I'm in my 40's and have suffered enough hearing loss over the years I'd like to preserve what I have left to the best of my ability.  Using a suppressor and good ear pro together definitely helps protect your hearing.  Hell, I'm at the age now that I bring ear plugs to rock concerts just in case. Hearing loss adds up and it's not fixable.  

View Quote

Mid 50s. The boy bought us a couple pair of special plugs that just reduce the Db but  the music is still clear. They're great.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:20:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Just me and one other guy at the rifle range today... He was shooting a 7mm PRC and 300 PRC both with brakes.

Oof that concussion

Me with my lil 5.56 suppressed poodle shooters... Just pretty much waited until he was finished.

Talked to some guys doing a 2 gun match at the same club, but far away... They were wondering what fuckin cannons were being fired on the static range.

Every rifle should have a suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:21:02 PM EDT
[#25]
They don't silence your weapon, they take the sound down to a non-damaging level.

If you don't want one....  don't buy one.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:23:49 PM EDT
[#26]
You being a machinist, I'm surprised you never got into the game.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:28:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By splitbolt:
You being a machinist, I'm surprised you never got into the game.
View Quote

Too specialized. Too much legal hassle for the amount of profit.

The stuff I do now has no legal hoops. Virtually no liability. Very modest material cost vs end product price. Professional customers who understand stuff and time costs money.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:43:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Suppressors aren't dumb. You're dumb. Fight me.

Not really looking to fight. Just disagree.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#29]

Reasonableness has no place in GD and ain't no fun.

If one can't show blind passion on a topic regardless of logic or others' reasoned points, they're a drag. Change my mind
View Quote

B A S E D
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By JHS:
Hearing loss is dumber
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#31]
OP is a Idget.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:08:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By dorobuta:
Hunting coyotes with suppressed rifles has increased the number of doubles an triples I’m getting
View Quote

Really? I’ve never noticed a difference.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:12:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Subpar:

Keep in mind that by purchasing a suppressor you’re giving the ATF consent to enter your house at anytime for compliance inspections and they can install a webcam in your safe to monitor NFA items.
View Quote

Is this sarcasm?

Because it is 100% false. It is possibly the dumbest thing ever posted about NFA items.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:15:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Ever filled out a 4473?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:18:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Got to be GD sarcasm
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#36]
My permanent tinitus disagrees with OP.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:25:05 PM EDT
[#37]
As exciting as bacon without the smell.
View Quote

Like Taylor Swift?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:30:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Growing up, I loved shooting guns and fireworks and cannons. The bigger and louder the better.

I've never outgrown it. A part of shooting fun is the big badda boom.

Would you go to a silent fireworks display?

Suppressors have their place for practical work, of course.

But shooting for enjoyment, even competitions/matches, sighting in for hunting, etc, a suppressor takes a lot of the fun away, for me.

I was shooting machineguns at Knob Creek.

RPD......hell yeah
RPK.....oh baby
Galil AR shorty.....By George I'm sporting a chubby.

MP5SD......Well that was under whelming. May as well shoot the kid's airsoft version.

I guess I should buy a couple for...reasons, especially since wait times are so short. But, I doubt I'd use them much.

As exciting as bacon without the smell.
View Quote

If you ever have to dispatch vermin/stray cats on your property on a regular basis you'd understand how valuable it is to just grab your gun, not worry about taking your time to put on hearing protection, and then potentially losing your shot of opportunity. Or maybe you're one of those people that shoot without hearing protection every now and then and don't have shit worth of hearing ability...
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#39]
One time i was shooing my .308's

I have a AR10, bolt gun and a SFAR.

Forgot to move the Suppressor over to the AR10, thought i blew my ear drum out the pain was horrible

Now all my .308's have their own suppressors
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:05:22 PM EDT
[#40]
When ever I want to turn off the wife’s snoring I put my deaf tinitus ringing clicking left ear up 😂
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#41]
The NFGAY never should have existed, and those that wrote it should have been dragged outside, shot in the gut, and hanged from the lampposts. Filthy traitors fucked this nation for nearly a hundred years with that eurofaggotry.

If not for that shit, rifle suppressors would be ubiquitous, and far more advanced. There would be numerous integrally suppressed handgun designs, and we'd see far, far more truly hearing safe options.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:41:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:

This

I only buy used firearms in FTF transactions with cash and have my neighbor buy ammo for me. Never associate your name with firearms online or on paper
View Quote

Paid membership to ar15.com does not compute
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:48:26 PM EDT
[#43]
I quite enjoy shooting my suppressed rifles.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:51:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Vague:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Vague:
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:

This

I only buy used firearms in FTF transactions with cash and have my neighbor buy ammo for me. Never associate your name with firearms online or on paper

I bought that for him and his for me so we're both behind 7 boxxies
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:02:48 PM EDT
[#45]
In a true land of the free, all firearms should come from the factory with threaded muzzles and suppressors would an optional accessory you could add on for cost of the can.

That being said, i don't own any, but that is because i don't want to be extorted out of $200 per by the gooberment.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:09:12 PM EDT
[#46]

It's rude to shoot guns at a range?

View Quote

It can be, depending on how you do it.  Much like everything else in life.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:11:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Sorry if already posted

I am up to four now. I enjoy my hearing.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:23:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By larledge:
OP is a Idget.  
View Quote

Bobby Singer? That you?

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:32:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Clarinath:
EeeEEEEEEeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRREEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

WHAT????

I can’t hear you from all the big Badda booms as a kid!!!!!

RRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Suppressors should be over the counter items, sold in blister pacs on an end cap.
View Quote

Ringing in your Ears (Children of Men 2006)
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:47:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By JHS:
Hearing loss is dumber
View Quote

Earpro is good but suppressors are better.  You don't have to stick one into or on your ears before firing.  If someone intrudes into my house I don't want the subsequent ringing in my ears to keep me from hearing more intruders, not being able to hear my wife calling for help, etc.
Page / 7
Top Top