BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:36:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:
To be fair to OP the pic has no screws in the pic.
View Quote
And the Texas has a fairly unusual layout.   I can see where the mistake is possible for someone not used to looking at the ship.  

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a flag from her back in the 50s.  It was pretty old back then.  It belonged to my wealthy great aunt.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Texaspyro21:
Not enough tourism to support the maintenance cost. Going to be based in Galveston now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Texaspyro21:
Originally Posted By BigGrumpyBear:
Originally Posted By tsonda4570:
This week two co workers and I went by antique archeology. I bought a souvenir pen at for her. Couldn't pass it up as it had San Jacinto on it and I know she will never go back there.

Why won't she go to San Jacinto?
Not enough tourism to support the maintenance cost. Going to be based in Galveston now.

At least they're not sending it to corpus like the original plan
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By DamascusKnifemaker:

Why is this on the 1st page?
View Quote
Because we're not (actually) 13 years old?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#5]
USS Texas is not a Dreadnought class, she is a New York class battleship.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#6]
They really need to get one of the guns working so Texas can fire a 21 gun salute on Confederate Memorial Day. The Grand Master toll level for Damn-Yankees would be achieved.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:12:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By NRA_guy:
What is the part I circled in red? I've never seen anything like that. It looks like a water scoop on the front end of the ship.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/62111/Capture_JPG-3211414.JPG
View Quote

Thats the stern of the ship.

Rudder,  the props have been removed.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:17:53 PM EDT
[#8]
it was great seeing it up close and personal

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:18:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:20:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Southernman077] [#10]
Originally Posted By Palm:
They really need to get one of the guns working so Texas can fire a 21 gun salute on Confederate Memorial Day. The Grand Master toll level for Damn-Yankees would be achieved.
View Quote

I think they had some of the 3in or 5in AA guns working IIRC. They were overhauling all of them. Some local oil drilling place was nice enough to loan space and equipment to do the work.
Into the Breach of Texas' Guns With Battleship NJ: Part 2
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:22:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Villafuego] [#11]
Pre-1925 modernization Texas was sleek

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Convert her to nuclear power and put her back in service. Texas is going to need battleships one day for our own navy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:29:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 549:
Can someone explain the numbers on the bow? I believe that they're an indication of how much draft the ship has in the water at a given time, but it's not clear to me why there is a repetition of single digits.
View Quote
They are "draft marks."
More info here: https://maritimepage.com/ship-hull-markings/
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:
To be fair to OP the pic has no screws in the pic.
View Quote

The lack of screws through me off also.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Caterpillar drive intake,  the blade directs the water into the drive more efficiently at different speeds.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Pallas:

Comparing length though, I think the ratio would favor the TX. I'll have to go back and find the episode where it is discussed. I could, obviously, be wrong.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Agilt:

They had tender tugs alongside to correct as needed, the foundation said that the slow tow speeds make control of the ship and the issue very minor.

They have discussed the rudder position previously as well. It is not an economical use of funds to repair (and it's a very significant and costly repair/rebuild) considering the static use of the ship, plus the "legend" is that it's stuck at it's last commanded point, so they leave it.

Iowas are wider than New Yorks, and about 5 times the power

Comparing length though, I think the ratio would favor the TX. I'll have to go back and find the episode where it is discussed. I could, obviously, be wrong.

Of course, being that the Texas is about 300 feet shorter. And it's not about trying for absolutes, it's all tradeoffs. TX is short and stubby comparatively, but was built to a "fleet standard" I believe, which kept most ships to a relative length/width/speed target so none of the capital ships would out of line with the others.

US ships (and UK too) were also typically constrained in general width for the canal. Other countries didn't have that constraint; for example Japan and Germany. Bismarck was 118ft beam IIRC
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By redoubt:
They are "draft marks."
View Quote

Thanks, but what is not making sense to me is the sequence starting at the top: 3 2 1 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 9. I'm thinking there's a factor of 10 there, or perhaps due to the age & condition some numerals aren't clear.

This pic of the draft marks on the Iowa are easy to interpret.

Thanks for the link. While I did know that salt water is more buoyant than fresh, I didn't know temperature made a difference and had to be accounted for.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:22:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By cavedog:
View Quote

She is last surviving Dreadnought - type battleship, actually a "Super Dreadnought" by virtue of her size and 14" guns.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:50:37 PM EDT
[#20]
OP, when you were younger, did you hear "wrong hole!" a lot?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#21]
That's the stern and rudder,  the bow is on the other end of the ship!
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Rick-OShay:

She is last surviving Dreadnought - type battleship, actually a "Super Dreadnought" by virtue of her size and 14" guns.
View All Quotes

I’m aware of the signifcance of the 1906 HMS Dreadnought.

The OP calls it a Dreadnought class, and while I respect those that fly the White Ensign, the USS Texas is an American New York class badass.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:13:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By DnPRK:

Torpedo protection blisters were added in 1926, which is why she looks so bulky under the waterline.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DnPRK:
Originally Posted By chronium76:
Never seen it out of water. Damn she has a thick ass! @midcap

Torpedo protection blisters were added in 1926, which is why she looks so bulky under the waterline.

Which I believe came in handy shortly after D-Day when they flooded starboard blisters to create a list to get more range out of their main guns.

https://www.wearethemighty.com/mighty-history/uss-texas-flooded-on-purpose/

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:20:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By cwm1150:
Convert her to nuclear power and put her back in service. Texas is going to need battleships one day for our own navy.
View Quote

It's covered in the history books.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Texas-Israeli_War:_1999
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:20:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By NRA_guy:
What is the part I circled in red? I've never seen anything like that. It looks like a water scoop on the front end of the ship.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/62111/Capture_JPG-3211414.JPG
View Quote

That’s the rudder….your picture was taken from astern (the back). It’s not obvious because they removed the screws and propeller shafts when she was decommed in the 40s so TX wouldn’t try and maker her able to steam under her own power again.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:22:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bgrhammer] [#26]

Thanks, but what is not making sense to me is the sequence starting at the top: 3 2 1 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 9. I'm thinking there's a factor of 10 there, or perhaps due to the age & condition some numerals aren't clear.

This pic of the draft marks on the Iowa are easy to interpret. https://travel.usnews.com/images/Discover_Los_AngelesBattleship-USS-Iowa-water-ship-sun-outside-museum.jpg

Thanks for the link. While I did know that salt water is more buoyant than fresh, I didn't know temperature made a difference and had to be accounted for.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By redoubt:
They are "draft marks."

This pic of the draft marks on the Iowa are easy to interpret. https://travel.usnews.com/images/Discover_Los_AngelesBattleship-USS-Iowa-water-ship-sun-outside-museum.jpg

Yeah, I'm not sure why they are missing the second digit,  but If I was to Hazzard a guess that in part of their watchstanders PQS training they passed on how many numbers were on the hull in total. Count down how many you see and subtract the numbers that you do see to find your draft.

I'm kind of curious about that big fin with two holes on the actual bow?  All I can figure is some sort of mooring anchor?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:34:02 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Actually there is salt water, fresh water, and brackish which covers everything between the two. We had a float type device to measure the salinity for the times we had to load to draft.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Correct.  New York class.  Dreadnought type.  I never understood why people call her the last dreadnought since the battleships built in the 1930s still have the essential features that defined the dreadnought type battleship.  In fact, Texas lacks the turbine power plant that was one of the advanced features of HMS Dreadnought.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#29]
She's a beautiful old Gal. Been aboard her a couple of times and can't wait until she's available to tour again.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By TOGVET:
She's a beautiful old Gal. Been aboard her a couple of times and can't wait until she's available to tour again.
View Quote

I got to see her the last weekend she was open.  Didn’t plan it that way.  I learned that she was closing after I picked that weekend to visit.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:12:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ranxerox911] [#31]
Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:

Well, the USS Texas is well over 100 years old.

And the Bulbous Bow design is still very much in use with larger ships such as Super tankers, Container ships & Cruise liners.

Bigger_Hammer
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:
Originally Posted By Ranxerox911:

Well, it was a 50/50 shot at getting the right answer.

ETA: The front end doesn't look much like a modern ship either:

https://drydockmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/Lead-image-scaled.jpg

Well, the USS Texas is well over 100 years old.

And the Bulbous Bow design is still very much in use with larger ships such as Super tankers, Container ships & Cruise liners.

Bigger_Hammer

Originally Posted By Deadtired:
Yes it does.  It has a bulbous bow to reduce the bow wave for better efficiency at certain speeds.  It just doesn't have as much of an overhanging bow as modern ships.  

Here's a better perspective from a couple of years ago

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/396704/798B9E33-3599-4730-B73B-5B557124C1CB_jpe-3211506.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/396704/6E57FA18-D95F-42DA-BE54-5FEBE766CE70_jpe-3211507.JPG

The Texas may have a fuller bow under the waterline, but a modern warship has a bow bulb that looks like this:

That last one was designed for the Reagan in the early 90's by my office mate.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:19:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Tiberius:

It's not obvious because they removed the screws and propeller shafts when she was decommed in the 40s so TX wouldn't try and maker her able to steam under her own power again.
View Quote
A valid concern. Would definitely make a statement if Abbott parked it in the Rio.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:02:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By bgrhammer:

Yeah, I'm not sure why they are missing the second digit,  but If I was to Hazzard a guess that in part of their watchstanders PQS training they passed on how many numbers were on the hull in total. Count down how many you see and subtract the numbers that you do see to find your draft.

I'm kind of curious about that big fin with two holes on the actual bow?  All I can figure is some sort of mooring anchor?
View Quote

I wondered about that too.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By piccolo:

Actually there is salt water, fresh water, and brackish which covers everything between the two. We had a float type device to measure the salinity for the times we had to load to draft.
View Quote

Cool to know.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#35]
That's the front rudder. It can be used to steer the boat like a monster truck with a steerable rear axle. Great for tight combat turns or crab-sailing into dock.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:16:07 PM EDT
[#36]
No such thing as a bad battleship thread in GD. She is an awesome ship. My grandfather saw her in action at North Africa, Normandy, and Okinawa. I’ve made the trip to see her many times.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:28:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Agilt] [#37]

View Quote

The holes (I can’t remember the correct term) I believe were used for passing cables through for mine sweeping apparatus. The foundation posted about it because other had the same question but I couldn’t find the post.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:31:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By sabre_kc:
No such thing as a bad battleship thread in GD. She is an awesome ship. My grandfather saw her in action at North Africa, Normandy, and Okinawa. I’ve made the trip to see her many times.
View Quote

Probably a dumb question but how did they heat and cool military vessels 100+ years back?

I was deep inside the Yorktown last summer when the power went out. It got very dark and hot and muggy very quickly.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:34:32 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tsonda4570:
This week two co workers and I went by antique archeology. I bought a souvenir pen at for her. Couldn’t pass it up as it had San Jacinto on it and I know she will never go back there.

She will reside in Galveston I believe going forward.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:41:13 PM EDT
[#40]

Of course, being that the Texas is about 300 feet shorter. And it's not about trying for absolutes, it's all tradeoffs. TX is short and stubby comparatively, but was built to a "fleet standard" I believe, which kept most ships to a relative length/width/speed target so none of the capital ships would out of line with the others.

US ships (and UK too) were also typically constrained in general width for the canal. Other countries didn't have that constraint; for example Japan and Germany. Bismarck was 118ft beam IIRC
View All Quotes

They had tender tugs alongside to correct as needed, the foundation said that the slow tow speeds make control of the ship and the issue very minor.

They have discussed the rudder position previously as well. It is not an economical use of funds to repair (and it's a very significant and costly repair/rebuild) considering the static use of the ship, plus the "legend" is that it's stuck at it's last commanded point, so they leave it.

Iowas are wider than New Yorks, and about 5 times the power

The USN “standard type “ battleships started with the Nevada class, the next class after the New Yorks.  There were five classes totaling 12 ships with the same speed and turning radius and a similar scale of protection, allowing them all to operate efficiently as a group.  These ships formed the core of the USN battle fleet at the start of WWII as the new fast battleships were just starting to enter service and the Wyoming and New York classes were badly outdated even by the standard of old battleships.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:44:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By fssf158:

The USN “standard type “ battleships started with the Nevada class, the next class after the New Yorks.  There were five classes totaling 12 ships with the same speed and turning radius and a similar scale of protection, allowing them all to operate efficiently as a group.  These ships formed the core of the USN battle fleet at the start of WWII as the new fast battleships were just starting to enter service and the Wyoming and New York classes were badly outdated even by the standard of old battleships.
View Quote

Thanks for the clarification.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:47:44 PM EDT
[#42]

The holes (I can't remember the correct term) I believe were used for passing cables through for mine sweeping apparatus. The foundation posted about it because other had the same question but I couldn't find the post.
View All Quotes

The holes (I can't remember the correct term) I believe were used for passing cables through for mine sweeping apparatus. The foundation posted about it because other had the same question but I couldn't find the post.
Paravane or underwater kit. Idea was it would catch on the chains holding underwater mines and bring them to the surface so the mines could be destroyed.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:02:49 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

That's the tow hook for when it gets high centered.

Nick
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:05:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:04:37 AM EDT
[#45]

The OP calls it a Dreadnought class, and while I respect those that fly the White Ensign, the USS Texas is an American New York class badass.
View All Quotes

She is a U.S. Navy New York - class battleship, but also happens to be the last surviving Dreadnought or Super-Dreadnought type battleship.

Dreadnoughts had all main guns of the same caliber - 9.2 to 12 inches, a displacement greater than 18,000 pounds, and often, but not always, turbine propulsion.

Improvements in armor, propulsion, gun-making, and fire control led to the evolution of the "Super Dreadnought", with a uniform main gun caliber of 13.5 inches or greater, larger hulls of 20,000 tons or more, an increasing trend to place all turrets on the center line, and somewhat less emphasis on torpedo nets and torpedo tubes.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:12:52 AM EDT
[#46]

Correct.  New York class.  Dreadnought type.  I never understood why people call her the last dreadnought since the battleships built in the 1930s still have the essential features that defined the dreadnought type battleship.  In fact, Texas lacks the turbine power plant that was one of the advanced features of HMS Dreadnought.
View All Quotes

The vessels built in the 30's and later tend to fall under the description of "fast battleship".  As such they somewhat sacrificed armor for speed and more-or less replaced the "battle cruiser" in those missions, as well as continuing to perform traditional battleship duties.  For a fun trip down the rabbit hole check out "pre-dreadnought" and "semi-dreadnought" battleships.

U.S. dreadnoughts and super-dreadnoughts retained triple-expansion engines longer for 3 reasons:

1.  The U.S Navy was desirous of a "standard" battleship fleet that could operate together, so the increase of power needed for higher speeds was seen as a detriment to operating the fleet as a fleet, as it couldn't go faster than the slowest ship anyway.
2.  The U.S. Navy felt that the slower speed of their battleships could be compensated for in combat by maneuvering - turns with smaller radii and such.
3.  Range was more important to the U.S. Navy than top speed due to the need to operate across the vast Pacific ocean with a limited number of allied coaling ports.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:18:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By pilatuspilot:

Probably a dumb question but how did they heat and cool military vessels 100+ years back?

I was deep inside the Yorktown last summer when the power went out. It got very dark and hot and muggy very quickly.
View Quote

Heat was not an issue - they were burning tons of coal per hour.  Plenty of heat to go around and steam lines could be run to any place that needed extra heat.

Ventilators and open port holes provided the ventilation/cooling.    Refrigerated air conditioning tended to start coming along when more extensive electronic fits for things like radios, radars, sonars etc. started coming on-line, as vacuum tubes are hot and high voltage electronics doesn't work well in high humidity.

For more on comfort aboard ship in the old days, look into the origin of the term "posh" - Port Outbound, Starboard Homeward.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:27:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Battleship Texas: Rudder, Pintles and Gudgeons, Oh My!
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:30:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Deadtired:
Yes it does.  It has a bulbous bow to reduce the bow wave for better efficiency at certain speeds.  It just doesn't have as much of an overhanging bow as modern ships.  

Here's a better perspective from a couple of years ago

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/396704/798B9E33-3599-4730-B73B-5B557124C1CB_jpe-3211506.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/396704/6E57FA18-D95F-42DA-BE54-5FEBE766CE70_jpe-3211507.JPG
View Quote

Great pictures, shows the keel sitting on Terra Firma. I would guess that is a lot of stress grounding the hevay battlewagon.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:34:25 AM EDT
[#50]
USS TEXAS BATTLESHIP TEXAS DRYDOCK MAY UPDATE VIDEO
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top