User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:19:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bundeswehrvet:
My dad, retired USN CPO, retired 1967, passed away 2015.  21 years service and 48 years wake up pay.
Bro, retired USA CW4, retired 26 years service and collecting 20 years wake up pay.
I retired as USA LTC, retired 20 years and 14 days in 1996. Enjoying year 28 of wake up pay.  

None of us collected a cent from VA.

Commissary is a deal on certain dry goods…but Aldi is our if grocer of choice. We also have a nearby farmers market for local eggs, fresh veggies and fish!

I will say this though…AAFES online is my first choice for ammunition delivered to the door, and first place for comparison shopping for firearms.
View Quote

AAFES online for ammo? Fill me in please
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:09:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Curmudgeon762:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bundeswehrvet:
My dad, retired USN CPO, retired 1967, passed away 2015.  21 years service and 48 years wake up pay.
Bro, retired USA CW4, retired 26 years service and collecting 20 years wake up pay.
I retired as USA LTC, retired 20 years and 14 days in 1996. Enjoying year 28 of wake up pay.  

None of us collected a cent from VA.

Commissary is a deal on certain dry goods…but Aldi is our if grocer of choice. We also have a nearby farmers market for local eggs, fresh veggies and fish!

I will say this though…AAFES online is my first choice for ammunition delivered to the door, and first place for comparison shopping for firearms.

It aint rocket science.

https://www.shopmyexchange.com/winchester-m855-green-tip-5-56-nato-62-grain-fmj-20-rounds/3206406
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:13:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Saint_Peter:

Do you still miss it?

I do.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Saint_Peter:
Originally Posted By cavedog:

On Sept 1 this year (2024), I will have been retired from USAF for 30 years.

It's a surreal concept sometimes.

(I've been retired from my second career for four years.)

Do you still miss it?

I do.

No.  The last three years were so full of chickenshit it overshadows the good times.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:15:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Ecarl4100:

Yup. There’s several officers at our department that are at 100 percent mil disability, yet they’re physically able to work as cops or firefighters. Got the handicapped car tags too. 🤷‍♂️
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ecarl4100:
Originally Posted By jt526:
Looks like that is true retirees, not the millions of former servicemembers or those on disability.

Yup. There’s several officers at our department that are at 100 percent mil disability, yet they’re physically able to work as cops or firefighters. Got the handicapped car tags too. 🤷‍♂️

Same here.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:17:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By UtahShotgunner:

Last pensioner wife died in 2008.
Last wife who did not claim pension died in 2020.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_War_widows_who_survived_into_the_21st_century
View Quote

Thanks for the clarification. Either one is still amazing
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:21:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Osprey61:

25 years, 3 months and 17 days. People always look impressed when I rattle it off...don't tell them it's right there on my DD214
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Osprey61:
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:
20 years, 3 months, 18 days.

Not that I counted them.

25 years, 3 months and 17 days. People always look impressed when I rattle it off...don't tell them it's right there on my DD214

Some things are just burned into your brain.

I did a short remote in Alaska.  When people ask me how long I was there I reply 12 months, 11 days and four hours.

You never forget your first DEROS.

Side story:  The AF fire guys at Galena adopted a stray dog.  Nobody could agree on a name.  They asked the section leader and he replied "I don't care, I'm short.  My DEROS is six days."
Everyone realized the dog would never leave so they named him DEROS because he didn't have one.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:22:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By thesquidliest:
I remember reading somewhere before I dropped my papers that the pentagon budget weenies actually plan for a good percentage of military retirees dying during a really short time period, like 10 years post-retirement.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HDLS:
A lot don't last too long after retirement.

I hope to be able to say one day I've been retired longer than I was in. I'm a little over halfway there.
I remember reading somewhere before I dropped my papers that the pentagon budget weenies actually plan for a good percentage of military retirees dying during a really short time period, like 10 years post-retirement.

I think that was also why you used to be able to buy cigarettes tax free at the commissary.

Stg1 retired since Nov 2015
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:24:52 PM EDT
[#8]

There’s no “probably”, there’s 5.3 million disabled veterans. About 30% of veterans.  

The majority of retirees likely are service connected for something, as it’s pretty hard to do 20(+) without getting injured so they’re included in that 5.3 million.  

If 90% of retirees have a service connected disability that leaves about 3ish million disabled vets that aren’t retirees also.

I’m sure there’s actual statistics somewhere for the percentage of retirees that are also disabled but I’m too lazy to look.
View Quote

I have some hearing loss from working on active flightlines.  I could have claimed it, but I was issued the ear pro, and I did not use it.  It's on me.

I pay for my hearing aids out of pocket, because I was too smart/stupid for my own good.  It's a reminder to myself to not be an idiot.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:27:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a lot of near misses and set my tent up using a tree for lashing it down in the 80s. I woke up at 0300 to find about 6 tanks driving about 6 feet away because they had to miss that tree. One of the guys in my unit was glance hit from a M113 later on that summer.
Reason there are fewer retirees and veterans is because so many commit suicide.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:33:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Obviously. But none of their listed prices are near what other vendors are offering. I figured there must be occasional sales or something else to make them attractive
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:34:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By R0N:
What is the breakdown between regular retirement, reserve retirement and medical retirement?
View Quote

https://media.defense.gov/2021/Sep/29/2002864217/-1/-1/0/MRS_STATRPT_2020%20%5bSEPT.%202021%5d.PDF
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:01:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RattleCanAR] [#12]

View Quote

Found the link.

That compete with hand loading. Except the green tip.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:02:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 64tinc:
I have a lot of near misses and set my tent up using a tree for lashing it down in the 80s. I woke up at 0300 to find about 6 tanks driving about 6 feet away because they had to miss that tree. One of the guys in my unit was glance hit from a M113 later on that summer.
Reason there are fewer retirees and veterans is because so many commit suicide.
View Quote

Working around armor stay next to the B's
BFT -big fucking trees
BFR big fucking rocks
BFD big fucking ditches
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:25:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cavedog] [#14]

Found the link.

That compete with hand loading. Except the green tip.
View Quote

I tried to register, but got an "you are not authorized to use this server" error message.

used a different browser.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:41:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I retired in 2000, came back as a DoD civilian in 2001, retired again in 2021.  I’ve already done more time after my .mil retirement, but just starting on the second retirement.  

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By nick_75:
Enlisted in 1995 as an E2. Retired in 2015 as an O4. Just passed my 9th year as a retiree and am finally starting to be deprogrammed.
View Quote

Took me a few years after retirement to regain my love of the outdoors. No need to go out, set up AAs, LP/Ops, 50% security in the pouring rain, weapons quals in January while laying on a slab of ice, etc
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By TarzanT:
I retired in 2000, came back as a DoD civilian in 2001, retired again in 2021.  I’ve already done more time after my .mil retirement, but just starting on the second retirement.  

View Quote

My FiL did 20 USAF, 20 DoD civilian.

Collected 40 years of mil pension, 20 years of civilian pension, 15 years of Social Security.
Then killed himself.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:56:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By sanausnol:
Depends on where you are.  Here in Alaska the commissary is a hell of a deal.
View Quote

Here in Japan - not just a heck of a deal but often offering things I cannot get off base. And given that it is tax free there's an additional savings built in.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:17:30 AM EDT
[#19]

I hope to be able to say one day I've been retired longer than I was in. I'm a little over halfway there.
View Quote

When I lived in Jacksonville, a MGySgt  who lived around the corner from Northside HS retired after a long career and passed away shortly after.   One of our friends was neighbors with him said he smoked like a train, which couldn’t have helped.  

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:20:13 AM EDT
[#20]
he paid a whole lot of money for SBP over 30 years.  most are better off with a very large life insurance policy instead of SBP.  kids only coverage being a primary exception.  
View Quote

True. My grandmother said the SBP cost them a bunch of money. But you don’t know if you will die at 60 or 90. Obviously if the retiree lives to 90, it’s not the right answer.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:28:34 AM EDT
[#21]
The actual veteran rate (depending on geographic location) is somewhere between 8-10% of the population.

Around .Mil bases I’ve seen 13-14%.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:36:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bgrhammer] [#22]
When I was active, 1% of the populas was A.D., 2% were veterans of any flavor. My service group had less A.D. Guard and reserve than the entire N.Y.M.P.D. by about 15,000-25,000 people and we had more square miles to cover.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:04:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Ronin76:

Here in Japan - not just a heck of a deal but often offering things I cannot get off base. And given that it is tax free there's an additional savings built in.
View Quote

You are taxed. The surcharge is equal to state taxes here.

We pay for your lower prices compared to your local economy.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:19:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Seabee_Mech:
Boot!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Seabee_Mech:
Originally Posted By Low_Country:
3 years, 20 days, and a wake-up.
Boot!

No shit!  “Back in my day when it was hard..”. :)

I’ve been retired for almost a year after 26 years in the Army.  Wish I would have retired at 20.  No formations, no deployments, and the no asshole rule is glorious!
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:26:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ronin76] [#25]

You are taxed. The surcharge is equal to state taxes here.

We pay for your lower prices compared to your local economy.
View Quote

I'm charged 8% to 10% in taxes (depending on the item) for local shopping so I doubt the surcharge tops that. And if I don't have the surcharge added on top of the price I see on the shelf it's pretty much invisible to me.

Either way, a lot of what I buy in the commissary is stuff I can't find or would pay several times as much off base. Last week I happened to see some imported frozen Burrito item at a local organic shop off base. The next day I happened to be at a commissary and saw the exact same brand, same item, same size for about 1/3 the cost. Usually the cost difference is not so dramatic but it is always well in my favor.

Granted, I don't buy everything we eat at the commissary. But there are a few items I get there that make the trip well worth the time.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:55:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Ronin76:

I'm charged 8% to 10% in taxes (depending on the item) for local shopping so I doubt the surcharge tops that. And if I don't have the surcharge added on top of the price I see on the shelf it's pretty much invisible to me.

Either way, a lot of what I buy in the commissary is stuff I can't find or would pay several times as much off base. Last week I happened to see some imported frozen Burrito item at a local organic shop off base. The next day I happened to be at a commissary and saw the exact same brand, same item, same size for about 1/3 the cost. Usually the cost difference is not so dramatic but it is always well in my favor.

Granted, I don't buy everything we eat at the commissary. But there are a few items I get there that make the trip well worth the time.
View Quote

Surcharge is equal to the location sales taxes.

8% here
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:33:00 PM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes

I probably will, but I'm not retiring until my 60th birthday.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:43:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pdm] [#28]

View Quote

AAFES ammo is generally more expensive than other reputable online ammo sales.   e.g. Fiocchi 115gr is $319 case….SG is $250.00.  No tax with AAFES though.  I just ordered 5K from SG and paid $269/case to the door. AAFES was $319.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:26:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By pdm:

AAFES ammo is generally more expensive than other reputable online ammo sales.   e.g. Fiocchi 115gr is $319 case….SG is $250.00.  No tax with AAFES though.  I just ordered 5K from SG and paid $269/case to the door. AAFES was $319.
View Quote

Thanks. That’s what I was thinking
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:30:29 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

AAFES online is good for things like furniture and appliances, though
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

I'll you what is a good deal is expertvoice. If you haven't signed up you should. I just bought 2500 rds of CCI sub .22LR from CCI for $8.39 per 100.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By pdm:

I'll you what is a good deal is expertvoice. If you haven't signed up you should. I just bought 2500 rds of CCI sub .22LR from CCI for $8.39 per 100.
View Quote

I’ll check it out. TY
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:00:41 PM EDT
[#33]
How many in the philippines?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:04:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By GySgt_D:
All of which are clogging the commisary aisles at Miramar.....
View Quote
Can't wait to retire, so that I can go to the nearest comissary every weekday during the lunch rush. To buy a single piece of fruit. With a coupon. And a check.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:22:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
4 years and some change left until I join you all at the commissary
View Quote

Funny in Eight years I have been to the commissary about 8-10 times.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Kind of miss the Eglin 'misery, it was kind of cool saying hello to Gen(r) Horner doing his shopping just ever so often.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:

Funny in Eight years I have been to the commissary about 8-10 times.
View Quote

I'll change my user name to fadedsun-RET and I'll be sure to get there before you for the early bird special
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:16:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5thLegion] [#38]
Those last 20 years were a mofo for many. Put some years on you.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:16:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: farfromhome] [#39]
I will finally get to retire in 2027. Many people think I look much younger than my actual age. Lets just say I was on AD on 9/11.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:53:29 AM EDT
[#40]

Surcharge is equal to the location sales taxes.

8% here
View Quote

The surcharge here OCONUS is 5%. The local tax rate is 10%. So, yeah, I do pay more than the price shown on the shelf but it is half what the local tax rate is. And given that there is no import tariff nor shipping costs there is almost no comparison to prices off base for the same item - unless it is locally grown produce which I do not buy on base.

As a comparison - a rack of baby back ribs at a local Costco is about 3 times what I pay for a rack of baby back ribs on base. And that's at Costco which is usually about the cheapest source for imported foodstuff!
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top