Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:09:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Whippet06:
I stayed away from motorcycles just because everyone kept saying how dangerous it was with distracted drivers. A year and a half ago I decided to just go ahead and take the MSF class to get my endorsement even though I still wasn't sure if I'd get a bike. Needless to say, I enjoyed riding so I did buy one and I have to say, all of the fear mongering was overblown. I doubt I've had more close calls on my bike than in my car. If you just pay attention and don't ride a fucktard, you can easily avoid most situations. It probably doesn't hurt that I've road cycled for years and I'm used to paying attention to the cars around me.

I've been watching a couple of YouTube channels (motostars & kaosriders) and it seems like 80+% of crashes/close calls are either caused by the rider speeding and treating the roads like a race track or could have been easily avoided.
View Quote

The issue with bikes isn’t that your probability of being in an accident is higher, it’s that when it does occur, the severity is likely to be much greater.

If you like to ride and are taking as much precaution as you can, good on you. But unfortunately there is no way around the fact there is no “compartment” to protect you like a traditional vehicle.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:19:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By miseses:
Dirt bike riders seem to get injured more often but die less.
View Quote

This.
Less traction on dirt leads to more crashes, but then 35 mph being pretty wild and crazy on dirt means they're less deadly.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:20:04 PM EDT
[#3]
get a bike. stay off public roads. just do track days or ride dirt bike courses.

amongst other things, soccer mom sitting in suv at side street with tinted windows and finger fucking her smartphone so you can see if the driver is paying attention, is a big issue. thats a big reason i quit riding. i used to do a lot of track days too back got busy doing other stuff. track days, go as fast and hard as you want on a controlled track with ambulances available (required when i did track days) was the safest riding i did.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:20:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By BuckeyeRifleman:

The issue with bikes isn’t that your probability of being in an accident is higher, it’s that when it does occur, the severity is likely to be much greater.

If you like to ride and are taking as much precaution as you can, good on you. But unfortunately there is no way around the fact there is no “compartment” to protect you like a traditional vehicle.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I stayed away from motorcycles just because everyone kept saying how dangerous it was with distracted drivers. A year and a half ago I decided to just go ahead and take the MSF class to get my endorsement even though I still wasn't sure if I'd get a bike. Needless to say, I enjoyed riding so I did buy one and I have to say, all of the fear mongering was overblown. I doubt I've had more close calls on my bike than in my car. If you just pay attention and don't ride a fucktard, you can easily avoid most situations. It probably doesn't hurt that I've road cycled for years and I'm used to paying attention to the cars around me.

I've been watching a couple of YouTube channels (motostars & kaosriders) and it seems like 80+% of crashes/close calls are either caused by the rider speeding and treating the roads like a race track or could have been easily avoided.

There is truth in both.  I have hit a deer in a car ~35 mph, and on a bike ~55 mph.  Bike was a bit more painful and costly.  Also true I've know a lot of those getting into trouble were taking risks I wouldn't take, personally.  Though there was one I knew that sprained his ankle on his way to take one of the MSF classes.  That was good for a laugh.

Still love riding, still miss that bike.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:20:56 PM EDT
[#5]

@Nbtstatic how are you not in the ADV bike thread talking about those 1300s?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:23:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#6]

The issue with bikes isn't that your probability of being in an accident is higher, it's that when it does occur, the severity is likely to be much greater.

If you like to ride and are taking as much precaution as you can, good on you. But unfortunately there is no way around the fact there is no "compartment" to protect you like a traditional vehicle.

View Quote

There are numerous activities that will move you into high risk life insurance - aviation, skydiving, mountaineering, rock climbing, motorsports competition and scuba diving are some. I'm high risk. . .not because I ride motorcycles tho.

So tho there's enhanced risk, yet generally  not enough to move the meter. People have a hard time quantifying risk, actuaries  - not so much.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:24:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rbass] [#7]
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:

I have been riding for 28 years. A lot. I can honestly say I don’t find the roads any more dangerous now than back then. It feels about the same to me. Bad drivers then and bad drivers now.

But…I am a very alert and cautious rider. I never compete with traffic or individual drivers. If you need to go faster or go around me then I am going to give you space to do so. That is key, let people do their thing and you do yours. I also practice riding skills regularly and really think about how I am riding.
View Quote

I 100% completely agree with you. I started riding in 1990, and have ridden an equal number of years pre and post cell phones. IMO there is no difference then to now, just as you say. People drove like shit back then, they still do now, no different. I don't see cell phones as a game changer at all as far as the decision to ride or not. Ride safe and smart, have fun, and it's a great hobby. I met my wife because of motorcycling, and she just got her first bike. If I thought it was the Death Race 2000 that everyone seems to blab on and on about I'd never let her out on her own as a true rookie. I tend to believe that those who think cell phones and distracted drivers have gotten so bad they hang it up, were already looking for a reason to hang it up or not start in the first place. But no matter how I look back at my riding history and experiences I can't find any difference now.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:26:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Donorcycle.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:26:33 PM EDT
[#9]
In 2012, one morning on my work on a Vespa (yes, a scooter, but one that could run 65mph), I was hit _from behind_ by a hit & run car.

Responding paramedics thought I was dead on scene. When I got the the ER they called a doctor to pronounce me brain dead.

I wasn't. I spent months in a medically induced coma to stay still while my broken vertebrae healed so that I wouldn't cut more of my spinal cord by turning my head. When that faded, I had to relean balance and walking since some nerves had been torn, but thankfully enough extras were there to lean for use.

I almost died that day, a month before my daughter turned one, though no fault of mine except being vulnerable to being hit by some driver.

And while in the hospital, wife decided that maintaining me in a vegetable state was going to cost too much and decided to divorce me. Was denied by a judge as I was unconscious. Unfortunately, she turned to someone else while I was unconscious and proceeded to divorce me a bit over a year after I got out of the hospital.

It had been her suggestion to buy the Vespa to commute to work to save money, instead of paying to park my car at work.

Motorcycles are fun. Risky in many ways, but individual choice to take the risk offroad. If you are on a road around drivers of cars, you are stupid, as I was. And if you have kids, that risk is unacceptable.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:31:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I grew up on them and rode up until about 2 years ago when I was 43.

From superbikes to dirt bikes, track days, etc.  Ive ridden a lot of bikes.

Riding on the street anymore is pure suicide.  

I was out one day and I simply didnt enjoy it anymore.  I thought doing more track time would cure it, nope, I just didnt care anymore.  

I miss my ducati's but I dont miss much else.  

I also enjoy doing stuff w/ my kids and gf and its kinda hard w/ superbikes.  I bought a can am x3 and we ride all the time.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:36:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BuckeyeRifleman] [#11]
Originally Posted By Alacrity:

There are numerous activities that will move you into high risk life insurance - aviation, skydiving, mountaineering, rock climbing, motorsports competition and scuba diving are some. I'm high risk. . .not because I ride motorcycles tho.

So tho there's enhanced risk, yet generally  not enough to move the meter. People have a hard time quantifying risk, actuaries  - not so much.

View Quote

I do a lot of those things.

As a pilot I can make risk appropriate weather calls and in flight decisions. I can choose not to take a hike in certain conditions, have an emergency beacon and shelter/clothing. I can always dive with a partner and do thorough checks and appropriate maintenance on my equipment. Though hazardous, I can implement proper controls to mitigate most of the hazards in the activities you mentioned.  

On a bike I can’t always avoid the idiot who crosses the double yellow texting, or the deer that jumps out knocking me off the bike and the resulting impact into oncoming traffic.

Though you can mitigate hazards while riding, there is a much higher percentage of “unmitigatable” hazard due to the inherent nature of doing it on a public roadway.

Actuaries look at the aggregate, not the individual.

ETA nothing against riding, if that’s what makes life worth it for you go for it, the OP asked us to talk him out of it, so I am.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#12]

The issue with bikes isn't that your probability of being in an accident is higher, it's that when it does occur, the severity is likely to be much greater.

If you like to ride and are taking as much precaution as you can, good on you. But unfortunately there is no way around the fact there is no "compartment" to protect you like a traditional vehicle.

View All Quotes

I fully understand that since I've been road cycling for years with essentially zero protection other than a plastic helmet. There's always going to be a risk in most things that are fun. You just need to learn to minimize those risks. It was the same when I spent a couple of years skydiving and even now when I solo backpack in the CO mountains.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#13]

As a pilot I can make risk appropriate weather calls and in flight decisions. I can choose not to take a hike in certain conditions, have an emergency beacon and shelter/clothing. I can always dive with a partner and do thorough checks and appropriate maintenance on my equipment. Though hazardous, I can implement proper controls to mitigate most of the hazards in the activities you mentioned.  

On a bike I can’t always avoid the idiot who crosses the double yellow texting, or the deer that jumps out knocking me off the bike and the resulting impact into oncoming traffic.

Though you can mitigate hazards while riding, there is a much higher percentage of “unmitigatable” hazard due to the inherent nature of doing it on a public roadway.

ETA nothing against riding, if that’s what makes life worth it for you go for it, the OP asked us to talk him out of it, so I am.

View Quote

That's exactly where I'm at on the subject. I'm by no means some risk averse ninny.

I have my PPL, I skydive occasionally, I used to SCUBA (not so much anymore), and I rock climb - all inherently dangerous activities but ones that I can (for the most part) control through careful planning, proper gear and being around other trained people so we can check each other.

If riding brings you joy, that's awesome - go for it, tons of people do it and I have zero against it, but people are getting dumber and dumber behind the wheel and I'm not cool with betting my existence on that fact that they're paying attention.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#14]
being one giant scab from sliding down the road is lots of fun, never ever want that again.... do a dual sport with little pavement riding to get to locations or truck it there.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:12:29 PM EDT
[#15]
No.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#16]
As a bonified senior citizen, I cannot think of a reason I should even try to talk you out of buying a motorcycle.

I had 2 ample jugs massage my thighs yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Other people suck.

That's probably the biggest thing that's kept me from getting one.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By wpsharpshooter:

If you are around those roads... Then why did you ever stop riding? Thats some of the best 2 wheelin in the eastern part of the country
View Quote

I had just taken on a new job, we had moved, second kid had just been born, and things were tight financially. So just a lot of life things and riding had to take a back seat.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Definitely get one.  Hell, get two.

If you never did anything that someone died doing, there would be nothing to do.  People have died getting out of bed.

Statistically, if you have a motorcycle license, wear a helmet, don't ride drunk, and you don't speed excessively, your odds of death on a motorcycle is pretty low.  All very easy to achieve objectives.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:43:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By deschutes541:
As long as you accept the risk, go for it. I’d wager that most drivers are more distracted now than ever before so that makes riding even more dangerous. That being said, it’s a lot of fun.
View Quote

One hour on a motorcycle is worth twenty three doing anything else.

But deschutes541 is right. Every driver is looking at their cell phone. So just ride like everyone is trying to kill you.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By BoreSighted:
In 2012, one morning on my work on a Vespa (yes, a scooter, but one that could run 65mph), I was hit _from behind_ by a hit & run car.

Responding paramedics thought I was dead on scene. When I got the the ER they called a doctor to pronounce me brain dead.

I wasn't. I spent months in a medically induced coma to stay still while my broken vertebrae healed so that I wouldn't cut more of my spinal cord by turning my head. When that faded, I had to relean balance and walking since some nerves had been torn, but thankfully enough extras were there to lean for use.

I almost died that day, a month before my daughter turned one, though no fault of mine except being vulnerable to being hit by some driver.

And while in the hospital, wife decided that maintaining me in a vegetable state was going to cost too much and decided to divorce me. Was denied by a judge as I was unconscious. Unfortunately, she turned to someone else while I was unconscious and proceeded to divorce me a bit over a year after I got out of the hospital.

It had been her suggestion to buy the Vespa to commute to work to save money, instead of paying to park my car at work.

Motorcycles are fun. Risky in many ways, but individual choice to take the risk offroad. If you are on a road around drivers of cars, you are stupid, as I was. And if you have kids, that risk is unacceptable.
View Quote

Damn dude, that’s awful.

I know a couple guys that crashed, mainly because they were doing something dumb. A friend of a friend popped the wheelie at night doing about 100 miles an hour in the city and a car pulled out from a stop sign. The driver of the car didn’t see him and the bike hit the car at full speed. I don’t think he even made it to the hospital before he died.

But, getting hit from behind was always a concern of mine. I’ve seen quite a few people up here get rear ended at stoplights, everyone is on their phone it seems.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:47:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Lumpy223:
Everybody dies, not everybody truley lives.
View Quote

Clint Eastwood ~ ''Dying Aint' Much of A Livin', Boy''.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:48:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By R2point0:
In for suggestions. My son wants one. I know he's an adult now, but the prospect of him crashing one terrifies me. Or even better, having someone in a car not see him.
View Quote

When my son took the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course in college, I was proud of him for being a chip off the old block.

He bought a Honda CB500X as a first bike, which was a very wise and practical choice.

But the thought of him getting hit by a cell phone zombie in a car terrifies me.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Lumpy223:
Started out as a low side slide until it caught and threw me over the high side. Happened last October and it still hurts. There is much truth to the phrase "crashing sucks". That said, I cant wait till my Jeep is paid off so I can get another one. I think the next one will be a KLR 650. Everybody dies, not everybody truley lives.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1062/IMG_20231002_062509235-2978920.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1062/IMG_20231002_065026997-2978919.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1062/IMG_20231002_123627118_HDR-2978918.jpg
View Quote

Good thing you had a helmet on! Lots of people in SC ride around in a t-shirt and no helmet or gloves, and sometimes I see them wearing flip flops.

The KLR is a fun bike too! I had one and put thousands of miles on it. Practically indestructible, and simple to work on.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:53:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#26]
Originally Posted By BuckeyeRifleman:Originally Posted By Alacrity:[/b]

On a bike I can't always avoid the idiot who crosses the double yellow texting, or the deer that jumps out knocking me off the bike and the resulting impact into oncoming traffic.

Though you can mitigate hazards while riding, there is a much higher percentage of "unmitigatable" hazard due to the inherent nature of doing it on a public roadway.

ETA nothing against riding, if that's what makes life worth it for you go for it, the OP asked us to talk him out of it, so I am.

View All Quotes

On a bike I can't always avoid the idiot who crosses the double yellow texting, or the deer that jumps out knocking me off the bike and the resulting impact into oncoming traffic.

Though you can mitigate hazards while riding, there is a much higher percentage of "unmitigatable" hazard due to the inherent nature of doing it on a public roadway.

ETA nothing against riding, if that's what makes life worth it for you go for it, the OP asked us to talk him out of it, so I am.

Everybody claims they're a better participant than the mean. I'm a much better rider - in a demonstrably less risky endeavor.  

There's a number of strategies to mitigate actuarial risk than merely risk pricing/pooling. But it's one of the most effective because in the end, randomness wins.

If on aggregate, risk is impacting, price or pooling indicates it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

You can mitigate risk when riding as well.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:05:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By CDW4ME:

My son put the idea in my head last fall.
He said he wanted a motorcycle; I thought about it a couple weeks and told my wife that when our son took the required class to get license I was going to take it too.
To my surprise instead of calling me stupid or saying I didn't need a motorcycle she said she was going to take the class too.
We all took the BRC and bought motorcycles this year.
19 year old son bought a Ninja 400
I bought a Yamaha R3 and my wife has a CBR300
My wife or son had never even ridden a scooter prior to January.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302943/ride2_png-3209673.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302943/March24wife2_png-3209674.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/302943/May4th_jpg-3209676.JPG
View Quote

Three cheers to the three of you!

Now get riding footwear that provides ankle protection.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:09:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By gotigers:
I want a Triumph t100.
View Quote

I just bought a 2023 Triumph T120. Much recommend.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:09:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BuckeyeRifleman] [#29]

Everybody claims they're a better participant than the mean. I'm a much better rider - in a demonstrably less risky endeavor.  

There's a number of strategies to mitigate actuarial risk than merely risk pricing/pooling. But it's one of the most effective because in the end, randomness wins.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/A044386E-2BD9-4ACB-A429-6D90B45CDDD9-202-3209763.JPG

View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/A044386E-2BD9-4ACB-A429-6D90B45CDDD9-202-3209763.JPG

See, I would do that.

Bike on urban/busy roadways, not so much. Talk to the guy above who got hit on the Vespa.

I also get paid to fly and dive. It’s a part of my profession not a hobby. If I die or get hurt doing them, my family gets SGLI/employer life insurance, VA or workers comp disability. That also means I’m largely better trained and have better equipment than the guy who does it every so often as a hobby. (Not that there aren’t very skilled and knowledgeable hobbyists)

Still hazardous, but it’s not an apples to apples comparison.

We kill quite a few people in military aviation, but I am fairly certain we kill more in PMV-2 (motorcycle) accidents on average every year.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I've been riding since I was 17. I'm 62 now, laid one down once. Just suffered bumps & scrapes. That didn't stop me. Just watch out for stupid people.
I say do it if you want one.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#31]
When my wife passed away in 2009 I sold my bike. I was mostly riding dual sports back then... had upgraded to a V-Strom, if you can call that a dual sport... those things are quick.

I didn't want to have the higher risk anymore and possibly leave my kids as orphans.

Now my kids are grown and self sufficient... I bought myself an Electra Glide Harley. Not in a rush anymore, I like comfort. I try to avoid riding at night. I upgraded the headlights and spots to LED, and keep the spots on at all times.

I know it's more of a risk. But I actually enjoy the journey, instead of just getting in my 17 mpg truck and simply "getting there." It's fun to ride. I'm planning on going on a mostly unplanned, several week multi-state tour on the east coast in June.

Maybe I'll check out early because of it; I hope not. I scan everything incessantly, I want to see deer that are 75 yards off the road if I can, or that person that hasn't even made it to the intersection yet. I leave a ton of space between me and other vehicles.

Yeah, it's more risk... but I'm also not afraid to leave the country and explore the world either, unlike many here. You get one life... enjoy it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Had a nice motorcycle ride today.  77.7 years old, wore a helmet I've used for more than 50 years.

E-bikes are nice too, if they have throttles.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#33]
I get the itch, but talk myself out of it when I see how many people drive with their faces glued to their phone.  
If you want open air and fun, just buy a convertible.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Its your funeral pal....
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:26:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#35]

See, I would do that.

Bike on urban/busy roadways, not so much. Talk to the guy above who got hit on the Vespa.

I also get paid to fly and dive. It's a part of my profession not a hobby. If I die or get hurt doing them, my family gets SGLI/employer life insurance, VA or workers comp disability. That also means I'm largely better trained and have better equipment than the guy who does it every so often as a hobby. (Not that there aren't very skilled and knowledgeable hobbyists)

Still hazardous, but it's not an apples to apples comparison.

We kill quite a few people in military aviation, but I am fairly certain we kill more in PMV-2 (motorcycle) accidents on average every year.
View All Quotes

See, I would do that.

I also get paid to fly and dive. It's a part of my profession not a hobby. If I die or get hurt doing them, my family gets SGLI/employer life insurance, VA or workers comp disability. That also means I'm largely better trained and have better equipment than the guy who does it every so often as a hobby. (Not that there aren't very skilled and knowledgeable hobbyists)

Still hazardous, but it's not an apples to apples comparison.

Military riders are a whole case, in and of themselves.

If you're in Ohio I'm sure you recall Gorden Gee's SIL Dr. Allan Moore, who was killed riding a scooter. His daughter was seriously injured. Neither had basic safety gear, which likely would have mitigated their injuries. People often fail to make even the most basic efforts, because they fail to correctly assess risk. Scooter riders are prone to this. Gear matters.

Urban riding has definite upscaled risks. In my extended social circle tho, much centered on riding, often urban, we've yet to have serious mishap, over the very long period of time we've been riding.

So maybe its choices, skilz and experience, but sooner or later, the straw is gonna be short. I'm sure you've heard and understand this; decisions made and actions taken in order to survive determine their prognosis for outcomes. You can do everything right, and still end up dead anyway.

Like Lowe and Bridges, that day comes. I'll take my chances with riding.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#36]
They really, really dangerous. My ex-uncle had a Harley, yeah mid-life crisis stuff. He was at the bottom of hill and he was hit by a little old lady. He sold the bike and the trailer saying it was too dangerous.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:32:18 PM EDT
[#37]
I can't talk you out if it.  I want one too.  I love riding.  That said, I don't have one anymore because I know in my bones I am an idiot on them and stopped riding because I really did not want to end up with a wheelchair and colostomy bag.  Now I've been off for so long that my reflexes would take forever to come back, even if I just took up cruising calmly.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#38]
I've been itching for a motorcycle lately, but am getting serious resistance from wife.gov. I've never ridden, and I'm not getting any younger. (I'm 51)
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:35:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BuckeyeRifleman] [#39]

If you're in Ohio I'm sure you recall Gorden Gee's SIL Dr. Allan Moore, who was killed riding a scooter. His daughter was seriously injured. Neither had basic safety gear, which likely would have mitigated their injuries. People often fail to make even the most basic efforts, because they fail to correctly assess risk. Scooter riders are prone to this. Gear matters.

Urban riding has definite upscaled risks. In my extended social circle tho, much centered on riding, often urban, we've yet to have serious mishap, over the very long period of time we've been riding.

So maybe its choices, skil and experience, but sooner or later, the straw is gonna be short. I'm sure you've heard and understand this; decisions made and actions taken in order to survive determine their prognosis for outcomes. You can do everything right, and still end up dead anyway.

View Quote

Totally get it man, and yup, you’re 100% right.

Every time I strap on an aircraft that could be it, and it could be something completely out of my control. We’re also all subject to mistakes and mistakes in any hazardous activity can be fatal.

For me, riding, in particular riding on highly trafficked public roadways is just one that I’m just not willing to add to the long list of shit that that might kill me. Totally understand why people do it though!

Someday when I’m retired, my kid is self sufficient and I lived in a different area, I could completely see myself getting an off road capable bike like what is pictured above.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:36:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MATTINFAIRBORN] [#40]
OP - I can almost guarantee you will be injured.  

The stock seat will probably give you an incredibly sore ass if you do long distance rides.

I've been riding since 1969. I'm 71 but the years fall off while on the bike.  At 16 it was a hard sell to get my mom's OK to buy a bike.  Paid for it with money from my first off-the-farm job.  Can't imagine not riding.  I did the Foothills Parkway (3rd time), Deal's Gap (5th time), and the Cherohala Skyway (4th time) the weekend before last.  Other roads down there are amazing too.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:38:43 PM EDT
[#41]
The first time I went is also the last time. Won't get back on a bike after that fall...
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:39:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#42]
Originally Posted By Vanquish:
Recently I’ve been kind of wanting to buy a bike. It’s been over 10 years since I’ve owned one, and now I’m getting the itch to ride again. Please tell me why this is a bad idea, I’m not getting any kind of real resistance from my wife. Haha

Pic of my last bike. I only had it for about 2-1/2 years but during that time I put almost 16k miles on it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58041/IMG_0985_jpeg-3209636.JPG

View Quote

One of my friends from HS was killed on a motorcycle at 1015 AM on a nice spring day. He was wearing full leathers and a helmet and some retard in a minivan plowed into him and he died a few hours later.

When I was in middle school one of my friend's dads went to sturgis and never came back after he slid off the road and died in a ditch. Left behind a wife and 2 teenage boys and a mortgage.

You are  28x more likely to die for every mile driven on a motorcycle.

One of my friends is a motorcycle club president. He is in the process of selling his bike after his 1st officer was hit by a brodozer and dragged to death in broad daylight just a mile from my shop.

Too many funerals.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:45:59 PM EDT
[#43]
I recently sold my Road King.  Too many texters plus there is a high volume of stolen/jacked cars being driven around at high speeds by 12 y.o. criminals who don’t give a fuck and don’t know how to drive.  Plus I’m old.  

You what they call a biker in the ER?  Organ donors.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:51:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Gorby:
I recently sold my Road King.  Too many texters plus there is a high volume of stolen/jacked cars being driven around at high speeds by 12 y.o. criminals who don’t give a fuck and don’t know how to drive.  Plus I’m old.  

You what they call a biker in the ER?  Organ donors.
View Quote

I recently found out there are hundreds of people driving around Colorado fresh from Guatamala and Venezuala with no license, insurance, or even driving experience, driving unsafe unregistered vehicles on the roads.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:52:14 PM EDT
[#45]

Totally get it man, and yup, you're 100% right.

Every time I strap on an aircraft that could be it, and it could be something completely out of my control. We're also all subject to mistakes and mistakes in any hazardous activity can be fatal.

For me, riding, in particular riding on highly trafficked public roadways is just one that I'm just not willing to add to the long list of shit that that might kill me. Totally understand why people do it though!

Someday when I'm retired, my kid is self sufficient and I lived in a different area, I could completely see myself getting an off road capable bike like what is pictured above.
View All Quotes

So maybe its choices, skil and experience, but sooner or later, the straw is gonna be short. I'm sure you've heard and understand this; decisions made and actions taken in order to survive determine their prognosis for outcomes. You can do everything right, and still end up dead anyway.

Totally get it man, and yup, you're 100% right.

Every time I strap on an aircraft that could be it, and it could be something completely out of my control. We're also all subject to mistakes and mistakes in any hazardous activity can be fatal.

For me, riding, in particular riding on highly trafficked public roadways is just one that I'm just not willing to add to the long list of shit that that might kill me. Totally understand why people do it though!

Someday when I'm retired, my kid is self sufficient and I lived in a different area, I could completely see myself getting an off road capable bike like what is pictured above.

Feel ya brother and understand. We all have hard boundaries. If the plane is landing, I prefer going with it.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:54:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FMJshooter] [#46]
I live where bikers come to ride scenic routes.

Everytime I'm on the cusp of buying a bike one of my friends wrecks theirs and I nope out of it.

Someday when the kids are grown maybe.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#47]
I thought about buying an old bike to restore a few months ago then remembered all my friends that have been killed or lost limbs on one.  Decided an old jukebox was safer to restore though working on an old tube amp can kill you too.  Stay safe.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By MATTINFAIRBORN:
OP - I can almost guarantee you will be injured.  

The stock seat will probably give you an incredibly sore ass if you do long distance rides.

I've been riding since 1969. I'm 71 but the years fall off while on the bike.  At 16 it was a hard sell to get my mom's OK to buy a bike.  Paid for it with money from my first off-the-farm job.  Can't imagine not riding.  I did the Foothills Parkway (3rd time), Deal's Gap (5th time), and the Cherohala Skyway (4th time) the weekend before last.  Other roads down there are amazing too.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/312702/4454618_jpg-3209799.JPG  
View Quote

Hey man - when you read about all these peeps friends who die or are maimed - is it an alien experience for you?

Because I'm trying to figure out if I'm living a charmed life or if my circles competency floor is merely different.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:57:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Unless you’re in a sparsely populated area where you can ride, drivers be crazy 😝 dangerous now. Dirt bike maybe but I’m done with street bikes
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:59:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: timeless] [#50]
Do it, love mine.
Page / 6
Top Top