BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:23:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Two churches near aren't going along...they are mostly older folks
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#2]
All our local Methodists churches that are still Christian split from the UMC.

The christian methodists are now called Global Methodist Church.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:24:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Not Methodist but have many good Methodist friends.  Sad to see this.  This woke mind virus is infecting everything.

The ironic part is I'm sure all this woke nonsense is being driven by a very very small contingent.  In my experience the vast vast majority of churchgoers are against all this.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Eager to see what happens to the UMC church in my town.

Although at this point if you weren’t aware enough to leave, you’re probably a lt the minimum a fellow traveler on the gay stuff.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Was Methodist, now Lutheran. Split from the UMC over our local church using it a a bully pulpit to push left wing politics. Left or right, I’m in church for reverence. Not politics.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#6]
All you need is a Bible.

Many churches, due to man, will just end up being a disappointment.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Main points from the 2024 conference:  

Marriage is between two adults
Pastors can be LGBTQ
LGBTQ marriage ceremonies are good to go in the sanctuary
Non-binary is embraced
Clergy committing adultery is good to go
Abortion is good
Church funds can be used to promote homosexuality
Sexual orientation is now a required diversity requirement on church boards
Conferences preparing churches to accept gay pastors
UMC divests from Israel
Global ministry to actively resist intersecting structures of white supremacy, heterosexism, sexism, patriarchy,
transphobia, xenophobia, ableism, colonialism and classism
No exit paths for churches that want to leave

So basically they're democrats now.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:42:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ServusVeritatis] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AXE0FWAR:
All you need is a Bible.

Many churches, due to man, will just end up being a disappointment.
View Quote

That’s also a mistake (remember that you’re a man as well). Jesus desires us to be in communion with other believers and has established his church. Being around believers is imprtant as well as worshipping with them.

Church doesn’t have to be a specific thing/building/rule like it has been in the past but you need to be around other christians and working together as the church.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:44:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By dhmjr40:
Southern Baptist here but I've heard others griping about that, talk of splitting etc.
View Quote

It's kind of the plan with the leftists.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:46:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:46:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By NotJackMiller:

Why are they quitting?  Keep the church and kick out the denomination.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By manderson1911:
I live in a rural area and with the "split" or Schism in the Methodist church went official it looks like last week. It appears the word has come down from above that they now need to do Gay marriages, have gay pastors and be much more "inclusive". We all already knew this nothing new here, but with it going official this week and the official word coming down the exodus from my church is mind numbing. I mean EVERYONE who did anything left. They are already talking about layoffs in the staff and not being able to make it through summer... A good friend and his wife both worked with one and they said its really bad all the kids left, all the employees and youth minister quit on the spot. Then the layoff talks started after half the staff already quit.

I spot checked a few other buddies who are connected with the Methodist church in other areas but fairly close by and all of them report the same thing. Curious if you all are seeing this in your areas yet?

I think the problem is that the national org actually owns the building. So the building may sit empty but it will never be other than a Methodist church.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:50:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I live in a rural area and with the "split" or Schism in the Methodist church went official it looks like last week. It appears the word has come down from above that they now need to do Gay marriages, have gay pastors and be much more "inclusive". We all already knew this nothing new here, but with it going official this week and the official word coming down the exodus from my church is mind numbing. I mean EVERYONE who did anything left. They are already talking about layoffs in the staff and not being able to make it through summer... A good friend and his wife both worked with one and they said its really bad all the kids left, all the employees and youth minister quit on the spot. Then the layoff talks started after half the staff already quit.

I spot checked a few other buddies who are connected with the Methodist church in other areas but fairly close by and all of them report the same thing. Curious if you all are seeing this in your areas yet?
View Quote

Good, seems to be some people who still believe Truth over man's lies.

And that FPNI thing again uncanny

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:50:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11b4v] [#13]
We left our Methodist church last year for the exact same reasons as the OP.  

Our pastor sought out, and invited a local LBGTQ group and made them the focus.

I have nothing against the LGBQT community, but after a few Sundays of being preached at about inclusivity and we were done, out.  

Sorry, I’m an adult, and am in church for worship, not to be lectured on inclusivity like a child. We had already tolerated the pastor’s left leaning views, but this, and a disastrous Easter sermon killed it for us.  

A lot of the older, monied, long time members bailed as well. Bumped into our now former pastor in the grocery, small talk revealed he was sweating it, I could see it in his wife’s face as well.

We miss that church, but non-denominational seems to be the future.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#14]
We left our UMC church in December after they decided to stay in.

Found a Global Methodist Church we’ve been attending since Christmas and like it there. No woke BS.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:52:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By tveddy:
Properties are owned by the UMC.
To dissaffiliate the umc makes the church members pay market rate for the property.

My wife was a umc pastor but she went free methodist last year. Im glad she got out while she could
View Quote

That’s unbelievable!
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:54:56 AM EDT
[#16]
My wife and I went out of town on Easter weekend, and she found a church doing a Good Friday service and wanted to go...........the sign said Global Methodist, so i thought it would be good to go, but after one of the people taking part in the drama finished, he went and sat down on the front row and was embraced and kissed in the mouth by his( I assume) boyfriend.............we got up and left after that. Beware the leftists, as they will try to follow you and destroy what you try to build
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:56:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Same thing happened with the Episcopal Church.

I attend an Anglican Church which was originally made up of fed up conservative Episcopalians. Now at least half of the congregation is made up of Baptists fed up with modern pop culture worship services and disgruntled former Methodists.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Mall-Ninja:
Wife is Catholic, kids are baptized Catholic, but we all spent our time in a church led by Franciscan Friars.

Things changed after the diocese took over.

We haven’t found a “suitable” (to her) Catholic Church here in TX, and I’m hesitant to entertain the idea of the megachurches around here, for the very reason the OP is stating.
View Quote

@Mall-Ninja

Search for Latin Mass churches in Texas. Guaranteed you will find something more suitable if there is one cloae enough to you. What part of TX? I wouldn't let bad clergy and administrators chase me away from the faith and go and adopt other doctrines. Megachurches are such empty creatures, too.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:03:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VidaEterna] [#19]
Originally Posted By centrarchidae:

I think the problem is that the national org actually owns the building. So the building may sit empty but it will never be other than a Methodist church.
View Quote

That is precisely the problem. The UMC has now decided to bite and deride the hand that feeds them. So be it. I grew up Baptist and will find another church that preaches what’s in the Bible, not what’s worldly.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#20]
What was probably once a noble goal, to have the gays and whatevers come to the church to show them that we are all sinners that can be redeemed, has turned into a disaster because they let those same people take leadership (and the middle aged white ladies as well). Now, instead of treating the alphabets like they treat all other sinners (everyone) they are in an affirmation cycle that has only one way to go, to the shitter. It's become a gay club for gays that want to pretend to have even more moral authority.

I really wanted to take my kid to church in my area, but all the Presbyterian churches (where I was raised) and the Methodist churches (close enough in the old days) are chock full of the corrupt democrat and gay stuff now.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:14:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: matthew] [#21]
If all the people in your church felt this way, why didn't they elect to leave the United Methodist Church and become a Global Methodist Church?

Eta: sounds like your pastor either lied to you or had his head in the sand and the lay people had their heads in the sand.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:16:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I’m in a Bible study with a guy who is Methodist and they split off
He says it’s been rough
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:20:29 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

That word did not come from above, it came from below, way below. Each new day sees more of the fabric that was traditional America being torn away. Not by foreign enemies, but by people in America. Every part of our country is being mutated into something hard to imagine. But it is real. We are on the threshold of destruction of what we hold dear. I do not know how we save our country without bloodshed, a lot of it. Just the opinion of an old dinosaur, worth about 2  cents,  if that much.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:25:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:26:18 PM EDT
[#25]
The one I grew up going to has long been a mess. I quit in my teens. Lots of liberal types then and looking back a lot of problems (like finances) were because so many commie types wanting to run things and not really do anything. The place is all but dead and likely will be very soon. They could never buy out and split. Others around have managed to buy out and leave.

A lot of non denominational churches have sprung up and grown to be very big. Most wanting a Christian church are done with the old types.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:28:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Grew up in a conservative UMC church in NOVA.  Full of military families.  Wish my family had left when the "leadership" tried to ban Onward Christian Soldiers from the hymnbook back in the 80s.  

Its lost majority of its members over the past few years and this recent gayness has apparently put it in a tailspin.  

The church likely won't be able to afford to split because the property contains a school and big church facility that would need to be purchased from the UMC.  

I don't have any clue on what is going to happen but its hard on my mom and the other people that built up the church.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:28:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Our United Methodist church (UMC) disaffiliated 2-3 years ago, when we had the chance.  We are now a Global Methodist Church.  
The UMC saw that tons of churches were planning to leave, so they changed the rules in the past year or so.  Now it's much more difficult to leave the UMC.  
We are seeing tons of members leaving the local UMC churches, and coming to our church. Our membership is rising 10-20% per year.  

Georgia's UMC leadership didn't help themselves by putting a black lesbian woman from New York in charge.  
Robin Dease - Bishop of Georgia's United Methodist Church.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:28:57 PM EDT
[#28]
gonna have to tear a few hundred pages out of the bible
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:29:28 PM EDT
[#29]

I mean best i can tell 4 or 5 that i'm aware of in North GA aren't going to make the summer running off their reserve funds.
View Quote

GOOD!
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:52:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By vampgrrl:
Same thing happened with the Episcopal Church.

I attend an Anglican Church which was originally made up of fed up conservative Episcopalians. Now at least half of the congregation is made up of Baptists fed up with modern pop culture worship services and disgruntled former Methodists.
View Quote

Awesome.  Grew up Methodist and remember my Dad pushing back against the leftists and those watering down the Word.

Fast forward, attending an Anglican Church and we are negotiating for a former Methodist church facility since we are growing.  
Wesley brothers were Anglicans themselves.    

Christ have mercy.  Alleluia!
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Our church split from the UMC a couple of years ago. Negotiated a buy-out of the property. Now a Global Methodist Church.

https://globalmethodist.org/what-we-believe/

It will be interesting to see how the remaining UMC churches will fare and how many will leave or simply close.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:03:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wm69] [#33]
Originally Posted By cyclone:

They are now trying to infiltrate the Global Methodist Church.....
View Quote

That's what happened to the Presbyterians.   PCUSA was a commie social club.   Christians left and did the PCA.  Now the commies are all infiltrating the PCA churches.

Our local Presbyterian church is closed now.   Church I grew up in, and that my family had supported for over 100 years.

Property belongs to the Presbytery, not the congregation.  Dad wanted to try to get donations and/ or a grant to make it a community chapel, and the Presbytery said "No that building is ours, and we want to sell it or rent it"

With that, my family stepped away from that church.  My great grandfather, grandfather, father, and I have taken care of that building for the last 100 years.   Now the yard and flower beds are grown up, has poison ivy growing up the bell tower, and the doors are rotting away.  

It's a struggle to NOT clean the place up, but I'm not expending effort to benefit the commies who "own" the building that the local community built over 100 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:06:08 PM EDT
[#34]
The deadline for disaffiliation was late last year.  For a vote to leave to succeed, more than 57% in that church had to vote to disaffiliate.  My BIL's church voted more than 50%, but less than 57% to leave.  So, the church stayed UMC, but about half of the people left.  This was an unintended consequence.  The pro-UMC crowd thought that if they could make it harder to leave, more churches would stay.  What they did not consider is they cannot force the people to stay.  Apparently, it never occurred to the UMC that this would happen.

The UMC got to keep its old, bloated bureaucracy while the new church gets to start with none.   In Illinois, about 20% of UMC churches have left already at the end of 2023.  Decline in membership is higher I assume.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:07:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Grew up Methodist.

They aren't placing Gay clergy in conservative Churches. Those that went full woke may get the Gay pastors.

It's up to the Bishop or whoever to determine where pastors are placed.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#36]
My mom told me our Southern Baptist church in Virginia brought in a new preacher and in the first week he ran out all the homos and parent of homos. Those fucker ran to the Methodist church down the street.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:10:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By 9divdoc:
gonna have to tear a few hundred pages out of the bible
View Quote

Adding to and taking from is a big no no..............they will find that out one day
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By mbg0001:
It's there a method to decertify your church with the national Methodist organization?  

Decertify might not be the right word, but basically take the specific congregation local.
View Quote

My understanding is the UMC owns the property, so the people of the congregation would have to walk away and start over.  Not that they shouldn’t be willing to do so in cases like this.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:16:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By RocketmanOU:

Until this past week, the process was (very roughly):

1.) congregation decides (usually by a vote of the membership) whether to hold a disaffiliation vote
2.) congregation holds official disaffiliation vote, determined by a simple majority (50% + 1 vote)
3.) congregation informs district it's disaffiliating, and comes to an agreement on how much money has to be sent to district to compensate for taking the church/property/etc

One of our local congregations got through step 1, and at step 2 the disaffiliation vote failed. The people who wanted to disaffiliate left because they couldn't justify staying in the UMC any longer with the then-looming LGBTQ changes to the discipline. The remaining congregation was so disillusioned by the hateful way the disaffiliators spoke that many of them left the church all together. Their attendance has now dwindled to almost nothing. I can't see them continuing to do church more than another few months. The mere act of voting was enough to break the church.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RocketmanOU:
Originally Posted By mbg0001:
It's there a method to decertify your church with the national Methodist organization?  

Decertify might not be the right word, but basically take the specific congregation local.

Yes, there was a vote that needed to happen, but lots of churchs refused to let the congregation vote... Then if it passed you needed to buy the property and land from the UMC and go your own way.

Until this past week, the process was (very roughly):

1.) congregation decides (usually by a vote of the membership) whether to hold a disaffiliation vote
2.) congregation holds official disaffiliation vote, determined by a simple majority (50% + 1 vote)
3.) congregation informs district it's disaffiliating, and comes to an agreement on how much money has to be sent to district to compensate for taking the church/property/etc

One of our local congregations got through step 1, and at step 2 the disaffiliation vote failed. The people who wanted to disaffiliate left because they couldn't justify staying in the UMC any longer with the then-looming LGBTQ changes to the discipline. The remaining congregation was so disillusioned by the hateful way the disaffiliators spoke that many of them left the church all together. Their attendance has now dwindled to almost nothing. I can't see them continuing to do church more than another few months. The mere act of voting was enough to break the church.

Thanks for the response.   That's similar to the process I've heard about from other denominations.  

I find it disquieting that the same pattern emerged across most denominations is a very short time frame.  The Episcopalians were the first Christian denominations I noticed (about 10 years ago), when a friend lead the charge in his church against doctrinal changes.  His specific church voted to stay, the congregation split, and eventually that location merged with another one.

I've experienced similar patterns in the various synagogues I've associated with over the years.  My parent's synagogue got an activist Rabbi several years ago, and she alienated most of the members who's donations funded the regular operations.  Votes to terminate her contract failed, and they've had a severe drop in membership.  By the time her contract is up for renewal, I doubt there will be enough left of the congregation to save.

The local synagogue I attend had a severe shift in attendance around 2015.  (Take a guess why).  I missed most of the drama (not a full member there), but a similar pattern of activist Rabbi got hired, who hired staff for the Hebrew school, who changed the entire curriculum.

At both synagogues, I argued that infusing politics and partisan social action into our religion would, at best, alienate a significant portion of our faith.  At worse, it would erode the core tenants of our faith and enslave us as political pawns for parties who don't have our people's best interests at heart.  (Yes, I used the selling our birthright for a bowl of soup allegory).  

I don't know what to do about it at this point.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#40]
@manderson1911

where are you located at in GA?

Im in North East Ga. Banks, Franklin Stephens area.

Most in this area got out except for the one my parent went too and like 2 others in the county.

They held a emergency meeting Tuesday after 70% of the congregation jumped ship over the last year and now they are seeing what everyone had been trying to tell them.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

They would have to buy the church/property and pay the pastor’s salary. Many can’t do that.

IMO the church leadership should decide to follow the Bible or not. If they can’t afford to fund the separation, then it’s time to find another church. Which may mean you give up the church you’ve attended for years and your leadership power. People aren’t always willing to make tough decisions.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#42]
The Methodist church I grew up in wasn't so much a train that wrecked, it was one that slowly and painfully ground to a halt and is now sitting on the tracks corroding.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By ServusVeritatis:
All our local Methodists churches that are still Christian split from the UMC.

The christian methodists are now called Global Methodist Church.
View Quote

Does the Global Methodist Church still subscribe to higher criticism?

There was a group that split from the ELCA when they started ordaining practicing homosexuals.  That was too much for them, but they kept a bunch of non-biblical baggage that preceded it because they failed to recognize the root of the problem, which is open denial of the authority of Scripture.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:24:24 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote
That's what's going on around here.

Just becoming Protestant churches who won't accept gay leadership.

If we won't take a divorced man to be a Preacher or Deacon, why accept a gay dude?

Sin is sin, but you can't practice said sin 24/7 and expect to be in a leadership role.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:29:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VidaEterna] [#45]
Originally Posted By frayedknot:

They would have to buy the church/property and pay the pastor’s salary. Many can’t do that.

IMO the church leadership should decide to follow the Bible or not. If they can’t afford to fund the separation, then it’s time to find another church. Which may mean you give up the church you’ve attended for years and your leadership power. People aren’t always willing to make tough decisions.
View Quote

It’s a tough decision on one hand, but mandatory on another.

Galatians 1:6-9

King James Version

6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:32:40 PM EDT
[#46]
My mother in law and wife started going to the UMC near my mother in laws house about 25 years ago.  I was working shift work at the time and didn't start attending regularly until they had been going for 10 years.  My kids grew up there and my wife taught Sunday school for years and was a youth leader before we left.  I was one of the trustees before we left.  

Before COVID started and the liberals were out voted in the annual conference everything in our church went south quickly.  My mother in law passed away right when they had a change of pastors.  My wife invited the former pastor to speak at her service and the new incoming pastor actually filled a formal complaint with the regional bishop.  So we were done after that.  My father in law passed away about 6 months later.  He never really attended but everyone who were friends with my mother in law was to hold a special service for him.  He was a retired cop and I was too.  The new pastor spent the entire memorial service talking about how racist law enforcement was to minorities.

What a train wreck it became with rainbow flags and open conversations in the service about current politics.  I use to feel sorry for all the elderly people who were still there but then I realized if they are still sitting there every week listening to it then they probably agree.  

We found a new church and love it.  I've learned more about scriptures in the past 3 years at our new church than I did in 20 years going through the motions every week at the UMC.  David
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:34:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:34:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By ACEB36TC:
A friend of mine in college said to me once that "Churches were social groups form weak minded people". It looks like some of that may actually be true with the UMC.
View Quote

I can see that.  I have a lady at my church that stands and ask for prayers every Sunday. What she does is puke up all her problems and emotional issues. Same thing week in week out. I believe in prayers but I also believe we should help ourselves. This lady seriously needs a therapist instead of dumping on the church.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:37:01 PM EDT
[#49]
I thought it was known for years that the Methodist church was an extremely homosexual organization? But my mom loved her life long methodist church up until a few weeks ago. All of a sudden she said she'll never go again and said something about how gay it's gotten. They must have really gone off the rails lately. I didn't ask for details but my mom loved that church.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Snallygaster:
Grew up Methodist and have been very active until last week's conference.  Now I am looking.  In additional to all the pro-gay changes, they also made a resolution to not invest in things Israeli and one document referred to the action in Gaza as genocide.  Additionally, the language on abortion leaves a lot to be desired.  Some of the "leaders" seem to think this is Medieval Times and we are but peasants.  Sorry, but nothing binds me to a particular denomination.  Hopefully I will find a place to worship.
View Quote

"For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them"

To me a church is just a building, nothing more. The congregation, following the word in faith, is the true church.
Page / 6
Top Top