Diazprem/Valium (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:48:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bondservant2:

I certainly worry about long-term effects (ie dementia)…
But damn, it’s the only thing that de-stresses me enough tso I can sleep more than 3-hours a night.
PLEASE recommend something else - that doesn’t give me 100% SIB….(swelling itching brain)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bondservant2:
Originally Posted By 03RN:
Benzos are an absolute shit long term daily medication.

It is great for detoxing people off alcohol or benzos.

Once a year for a dentist appointment is fine

I certainly worry about long-term effects (ie dementia)…
But damn, it’s the only thing that de-stresses me enough tso I can sleep more than 3-hours a night.
PLEASE recommend something else - that doesn’t give me 100% SIB….(swelling itching brain)

Clean up your diet, exercise heavily, go to church, pray, meditate, go outside and touch the grass.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:49:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Valium was initially marketed as a cure for alcoholism…absorb that info for a while…
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:49:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tommyg52] [#3]
Originally Posted By smarcus:
10-15 years ago I was seeing my doctor for a routine physical.  Older doc in his late 70's, pillar of the community type who had been my doc forever and was even my fathers doctor.  I had exposure to valium for recovery of a spinal fusion a few years earlier and liked how they helped me with anxiety but that script was long gone.  So it's the end of the physical and we are sitting in his office reviewing things and he asks me if there is anything I need.  I say that I wouldn't mind having some valium to keep around the house, you know, just in case.  He agrees, says they come in handy and asks me how many.  Before I can get say anything he says "Will 100 do?"  I shit you not.  I was like "Sure, sounds good."  And right then and there he gave me a script for 100 Valium  (10mg's?) and the pharmacy filled it.  It was awesome.

ETA:  Unfortunately he's now retired.
View Quote

My mother used to get 50 valium and month going back to 70s, when she got older, maybe early 2000 she would get 100 5mg percs a month,   She always asked if I wanted any, well hell yeah Ill take a few.  couldn't be too bad she lived to 84.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:03:43 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote

Yep, be VERY careful over long term use. One of few drugs there dependence can kill you.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:24:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By tonysoprano150:
Valium was initially marketed as a cure for alcoholism…absorb that info for a while…
View Quote

Had never heard that. It's good stuff but I think I'd rather have the booze.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:04:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DoverGunner] [#6]
Originally Posted By scopedope:
Valium is a Miracle Drug!

Let me start my by writing, that I hate drugs. I don’t like pain pills, I don’t like Tylenol or IBUPROFEN or just about any types of pill for anything. I was prescribed BP
Medication a few years ago. I knew I had to get off them
With lifestyle changes.

I lost 35lbs and quit drinking, started running and changed my diet so I could get off of them. I’ve been off of BP meds for about 3 years, Dr. supervised.

The only exception to that rule is Valium! I like that shit! I could see how people could get addicted to that stuff.

I have a huge fear of the dentist, that shit makes a world a  difference for me and I consider it a miracle drug.

A life time of military dentistry (military brat) and 11 years AD fucked me up psychologically with regard to the dentist.
View Quote

Growing up my dentist made Marathon Man dentist Dr Christian Szell a amateur.

So I am with you brother.
I have two of these waiting for the dreaded next dental visit using shots, drills or whatever medieval torture devices they decide to use
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:28:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shaggy] [#7]

View Quote

My daughter has a form of epilepsy.  Local ped neuro put her on a twice daily dose of keppra and then added clonazepam to the daily mix. We had to switch docs a short while after that. New ped neuro was at CHOP (U.Penn).  First thing they said was "holy shit, get her off that crap!"
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:36:02 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

This.  Highly addictive. Withdrawals are more dangerous than opiate withdrawal.  Acts on the same receptors as alcohol and thus is why it’s useful for alcohol withdrawal but, by the same token, benzo withdrawal is the DTs like alcohol withdrawal.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:38:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Superluckycat:
Heavy, long-term use results in withdrawals worse than alcohol or opiates.

You will wish you were dead from the rebound anxiety.
View All Quotes

Or you will actually be dead from the status epilepticus   Benzo withdrawal is no shit serious
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#10]
This is the only drug that allows me to eat in public.  Klonopin to be exact
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I get it for long flights. I am not afraid of flying at all, I just can't sleep on a plane. It's noisy, uncomfortable, and just a miserable experience. Valium lets me sleep like a baby on the plane.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By shaggy:

My daughter has a form of epilepsy.  Local ped neuro put her on a twice daily dose of keppra and then added clonazepam to the daily mix. We had to switch docs a short while after that. New ped neuro was at CHOP (U.Penn).  First thing they said was "holy shit, get her off that crap!"
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By shaggy:

Thank God

Benzos are good to keep around for her though. IM Ativan in case she has a seizure. Even by mouth is better than nothing.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:03:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Up until very recently, you could buy phenibut as a dietary supplement.  I don't know how it compares to rx stuff, but it definitely zaps anxiety.  It is habit forming, so I use it very sparingly.

A couple months ago I thought I should top off my supply and learned that the FDA cracked down on it as a dietary supplement.

I think it might still be OK to sell as a research chemical, but I couldn't find anyone in the US selling when I last checked.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:11:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tommyrich] [#14]
Originally Posted By bologna:
They gave me one before my vasectomy, I walked in willingly
View Quote

They gave me a shot (Valium) for mine, took less than 10 seconds for me to feel it. Then they went to work, took about 5 minutes.

I was so high they could have chopped it all off and I wouldn't have known. I felt fantastic...until it wore off.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:37:09 PM EDT
[#15]
You mean Diazepam?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DVCER:
I keep a few on hand.  If you have ever had to pull porcupine quills out of a dog they are pretty handy.
Take two and wash them down with a beer.

No really, you get one down the dog's throat and wait 20 minutes.
Dog won't care what you do.
View Quote
30 milligrams of Diazepam did absolutely NOTHING to my 78 pound rottweiler bitch. No discernible effect.
took three men, and a few ratchet straps to hold her down. We got a some quills out, but  not possible to get near her mouth.
..  we STILL had to go to the Vet next day, where they  used  Ketamine.
The first 3  shots of Ketamine had no effect. the 4th  was very slight  calming. fifth shot mellowed her out. The vet  said they gave enough total  Ketamine  dosage  for a 600 pound animal.  Dog  was STILL pissed off at the  pliers, and 2 hours later she walked out of the vet's office.
. So,  sufficient dosage really depends on HOW PISSED off  the person or animal is.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:20:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Positronic:
30 milligrams of Diazepam did absolutely NOTHING to my 78 pound rottweiler bitch. No discernible effect.
took three men, and a few ratchet straps to hold her down. We got a some quills out, but  not possible to get near her mouth.
The first 3  shots of Ketamine had no effect. the 4th  was very slight  calming. fifth shot mellowed her out. The vet  said they gave enough total  Ketamine  dosage  for a 600 pound animal.  Dog  was STILL pissed off at the  pliers, and 2 hours later she walked out of the vet's office.
. So,  sufficient dosage really depends on HOW PISSED off  the person or animal is.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Positronic:
Originally Posted By DVCER:
I keep a few on hand.  If you have ever had to pull porcupine quills out of a dog they are pretty handy.
Take two and wash them down with a beer.

No really, you get one down the dog's throat and wait 20 minutes.
Dog won't care what you do.

Dogs process sedatives (at least opioids) a bit differently than humans. They often require MUCH higher dosages of opioids for analgesia than what a normal opioid naïve human would. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a similar situation regarding dogs and benzodiazaphines, but I don't know for sure.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:29:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Just filled a script for it today….for one of my dogs.

Abused rescue that has panic attacks.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Pallas:

Xanax is such a problem because it hits quick and has a pretty short life span (half life). IME, Xanax is more for when you are having a panic attack RFN. People start chasing the monkey.

Benzo withdrawals are equal to alcohol withdrawals, it can kill you.

I’ve always been told that alcohol (and benzo) withdrawals are the only withdrawals that can kill you. Some have argued that heroin will, but others have said that is untrue.

I’ve known people (always females fwiw) who literally act like they won lotto when they get a xanax script or refill.

I have read reports where these things aren’t good for your liver, long term use, but that was in regards to Kolonpin/Conlozepam (sp).
View Quote

Benzodiazepine withdrawal is absolutely not lethal unless you happened to be taking them for epilepsy in which case the resulting untreated seizures could be lethal.  

Alcohol withdrawal can be lethal without treatment under some circumstances.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm allergic to diazepam.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Into_the_Void:
Does this shit work for vagal response?

I absolutely refuse to do bloodwork anymore because I vagal out BAD.  It is not mental at all.  It is 5 minutes of hell for me - extreme tunnel vision, BP and pulse crash to the floor, and I go from bone dry to sweating so hard that every inch of my clothing becomes visibly wet.

....next time I get blood I'm not letting them stick my arms, they can use my legs or something, maybe that'll help.
View Quote

Really?  Damn.  Every guy has his weakness I guess...
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Genin:
If someone does get a physical dependence on valium, cold turkey withdrawal is more dangerous than heroin.

The Versed they administer prior to surgery sure relaxes me...
View Quote

I remember about 20 seconds of bliss at my last surgery while the 4mg versed kicked in, but I have to say, a million years ago, before an oral surgery, the doc insisted I take a seconal  while I was in the waiting room. IMO, old school barbiturates beat benzos any day for a happy feeling.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#23]
No, gives me anxiety. Oxy on the other hand, makes me feel freaking amazing.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Kharn:
It stops your soon-to-be-corpse from being disconcerting to your squad or team mates when you start to do the funky chicken due to nerve agent exposure, so I'm a fan.

Kharn
View Quote

CANA

Had a Chief independent duty Corpsman on a ship fire nearly every last one into himself over the course of a deployment. Asshole clipped the needles with side cuts and repackage them. Fucker had also eaten half of the T3 in his pharmacy. Straight to the brig. Freedom and retirement vaporized.

I don't like benzos. Truly I don't really like any pills. Taking pills seems pretty weird to me.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:46:45 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

or, you know, you'll die
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:52:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Benzos are as close as medicine has to magic pills. Shame the brain gets desensitized to them so quickly.

And of course a few druggies ruin everything for everybody
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:46:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Meh, I have a script for them for when my brain won't shut down at night.  No issues starting or stopping them; they don't seem to do much other than let me fall asleep or take the edge off if I get anxious before a flight (not a fan of flying and for whatever reason it sometimes bothers me- of course with stuff falling off planes these days I'd probably be more worried if I was still doing a lot of flying ).  I tried Ambien once, and only once, and gave the rest of the samples to my doctor when he wrote the script for Valium.  Pain meds don't do much for me either (red head gene is probably part of it); I understand how some folks could get hooked on them but even when I've been on them for extended periods (post ortho surg and I've got nerve damage in a shoulder) I've never had any issues just stopping when I didn't want them anymore.  Everybody is wired a bit differently.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:47:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:
Originally Posted By Into_the_Void:
Does this shit work for vagal response?

I absolutely refuse to do bloodwork anymore because I vagal out BAD.  It is not mental at all.  It is 5 minutes of hell for me - extreme tunnel vision, BP and pulse crash to the floor, and I go from bone dry to sweating so hard that every inch of my clothing becomes visibly wet.

....next time I get blood I'm not letting them stick my arms, they can use my legs or something, maybe that'll help.

It sucks, bad.  Real bad.  My wife (RN) and other nurses have tried various tricks assuming there's a mental component - nope.  I can sit there all day with the needle and tube hanging out of my arm, doesn't phase me.  Blood doesn't phase me either.  The moment they pierce the vial and the vacuum hits I can feel it, after a few seconds, or maybe even the 2nd vial, I crash.  I honestly think it's a vagal response crossed with a severe fight/flight thing - i.e. my body thinks it's bleeding out and goes into protect mode.  I honestly really wish I'd just pass the fuck out.

To add insult to injury, anytime I get a shot or something I warn them... just so if it happens they don't call 911 or some shit.  Well everyone assumes what I'm talking about is just anxiety and a fear of needles so they treat me like a fucking retard.  Last time I had an IV put in they pussy footed around so much I said "nurse, either you stick me or I'm taking it from you and sticking myself."
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:02:55 AM EDT
[#29]
I sometimes prescribe triazolam to nervous patients but most people have enough balls to get through a simple dental appointment without medication.  Some patients are such big babies they need it for a cleaning.  Jeez.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:10:58 AM EDT
[#30]
My ex used to beg for Lorazepam or anything like it to get the edge off.

Eventually, she got Vicodin from China and was off to the addiction races.

Good times. Probably could have been avoided if the docs would have prescribed some sort of Valium (or whatever follow on drug they had).

But, in the mid-90’s, Valium was the debbil.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:19:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Vague:

CANA

Had a Chief independent duty Corpsman on a ship fire nearly every last one into himself over the course of a deployment. Asshole clipped the needles with side cuts and repackage them. Fucker had also eaten half of the T3 in his pharmacy. Straight to the brig. Freedom and retirement vaporized.

I don't like benzos. Truly I don't really like any pills. Taking pills seems pretty weird to me.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Vague:
Originally Posted By Kharn:
It stops your soon-to-be-corpse from being disconcerting to your squad or team mates when you start to do the funky chicken due to nerve agent exposure, so I'm a fan.

Kharn

CANA

Did they catch him when he ran out and started to withdraw?

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:29:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BFskinner] [#32]
Originally Posted By beruitUSMC0351:

or, you know, you'll die
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By beruitUSMC0351:

or, you know, you'll die

Yes you will get rebound anxiety, as well as insomnia, loss of appetite and quite a few other pretty unpleasant withdrawal effects.  However, I don't know where this ridiculous fallacy comes from that benzodiazepine withdrawal can be lethal or is worse than opioid or alcohol withdrawal.  

The degree of withdrawal symptoms are directly correlated with the level of dependence.   A severely dependent person with alcohol use disorder can die from seizures if they are not medically managed. Someone with a severe opioid use disorder will have pretty awful withdrawal symptoms but it generally isn't lethal.  Likewise for someone dependent upon a benzodiazepine.  They may be miserable and may feel like they would prefer to die but withdrawal isn't going to kill them unless they had some underlying medical condition which was exacerbated by withdrawal.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:33:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:45:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Benzodiazapines (sp?) didn't do much for me, but Lortab, on the other hand.....   I'm very careful with that shit as several very close relatives have ruined their lives from their addiction to that shit.  

Back in the early 90's, I asked my cousin what Lortab makes you feel like and his response was "It makes you feel like you wish you felt, all the time...".  Many years later, when I was in a situation where it was prescribed to me, I found out he was exactly right.  I don't feel high, drunk, delirious, ecstatic or any other thing you think about when under the influence.  I just feel that everything is right in the world and I'm at peace with the universe.  It's an awesome fucking feeling.  And yet, so many people I talk to hate the way that type of medication makes them feel.  Given my family experiences, I suspect there is a strong genetic component to how it affects different people.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:49:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Boom_Stick] [#35]
Pffft. Give me the nitrous and scrape away young lady. And dont forget to press your boobs into me as youre working

I literally almost fall asleep in the chair.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:00:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Sorry it is a Facebook link, but, Funny as hell to me.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:12:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By BFskinner:

Benzodiazepine withdrawal is absolutely not lethal unless you happened to be taking them for epilepsy in which case the resulting untreated seizures could be lethal.  

View Quote

Horse.  Shit.  You can die from benzo withdrawal seizures even if you've never had a seizure before in your life.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:19:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:00:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Boom_Stick] [#39]
Originally Posted By NCUrk:
View Quote
Flockaaah!!!
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:27:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Boom_Stick:
Flockaaah!!!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Boom_Stick:
Originally Posted By NCUrk:
Flockaaah!!!

The Cheerio distraction is real...
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:47:13 AM EDT
[#41]

Horse.  Shit.  You can die from benzo withdrawal seizures even if you've never had a seizure before in your life.
View All Quotes

Yup.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:52:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BFskinner] [#42]

View All Quotes

You are wrong but I doubt I can convince you of it.  Benzodiazepine withdrawal lowers seizure threshold but does not itself cause seizures.  In almost every case of seizures associated with benzodiazepine withdrawal other contributing factors have been identified other than the drug itself.

You are probably confusing benzodiazepines with barbiturates.  Barbiturate withdrawal can result in seizures in the absence of an enhanced susceptibility to them.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:16:40 AM EDT
[#43]

You are wrong but I doubt I can convince you of it.  Benzodiazepine withdrawal lowers seizure threshold but does not itself cause seizures.  In almost every case of seizures associated with benzodiazepine withdrawal other contributing factors have been identified other than the drug itself.

You are probably confusing benzodiazepines with barbiturates.  Barbiturate withdrawal can result in seizures in the absence of an enhanced susceptibility to them.

View Quote
So some people who aren't predisposed to seizures can take large amounts for extended periods with no risk of seizures?
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Huge abuse potential.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:23:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By SteveOak:
You mean Diazepam?
View Quote

+1

I worked at a place that had liquid diazepam to knock people out for minor surgeries.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#46]
So some people who aren't predisposed to seizures can take large amounts for extended periods with no risk of seizures?
View All Quotes

Benzodiazepines produce their clinical effects by increasing the frequency of opening of GABA(A) inhibitory ion channel receptors in neurons in the brain and spinal cord.   Specifically, they help augment the actions of the natural inhibitory neurotransmitter (GABA).  

A number of classes of drugs also have this effect.  The big 3 being alcohol, barbiturates and benzodiazepines.  They each act somewhat differently to produce an enhanced GABA response and alcohol does a bunch of other things as well but that is another topic.

The more of any of these drugs one takes and the longer they take them the more your body naturally compensates for the excessive activity of GABA.  This is referred to as homeostasis.  This compensation comes in a few forms.  First, you "desensitize" your GABA receptors so they do not respond as well to either GABA itself or to the ability of the benzodiazepine to increase the function of GABA.  This is one factor behind tolerance which then requires you to take more drug to get the same effect because the receptors are now less responsive.   The second thing that happens is that your body increases the function of GABAs natural opposing force which is the excitatory neurotransmitter glutamate.  The body does this by making more of these excitatory receptors.

What happens when someone withdrawals without being medically managed is that the effects of the inhibitory drug (the benzo, barb, ethanol) go away faster than your body can shut down the enhanced excitatory receptors which were created (the glutamate receptors).  This results in an overexcited state within the brain which is what is referred to as a lowered seizure threshold.   Some drugs can actually lower the seizure threshold so much (if you take high doses for long periods) that you can get overt seizures as a consequence of withdrawal.   Alcohol and barbiturates can do that.  If fact, barbiturate withdrawal is probably the most dangerous of all the CNS depressant drugs and one of several reasons why they were replaced with benzodiazepines which are much safer in that regard.

In contrast benzodiazepines are much less likely to do this even when taken at high doses for a long period of time.  There have been reports of benzodiazepine withdrawal seizures in the literature but they are very infrequent relative to the number of prescriptions made at the height of their use before Prozac came out.  In the vast majority of these cases the person who had the seizures was susceptible to them, was taking a whole host of other drugs which probably acted together to produce the effect (often alcohol) or some other factor could be identified that probably had more to do with the seizure than the benzodiazepine itself.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:47:13 AM EDT
[#47]
I took three mg of Xanax once prior to a biopsy that was not going to be enjoyable.  I don't remember that day but do remember waking up that afternoon on my couch.

I have no idea why people would do that to themselves just for fun.

I voted no.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Probably one of the most dangerous drugs that you can be given to you by a doctor. They will destroy your life.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Benzodiazepines, of which Valium is one, are sedative/hypnotic anxiolytics (anti-anxiety meds).  They all have their uses due to how long their effects last in the body (half-life).  Some are certainly more potent than others.  

Valium is still used occasionally as a muscle relaxer, but is typically used for chilling you out prior to a procedure, during the procedure, and typically for hours after the procedure.

Librium is another long-lasting benzo that's typically used to effect a baseline level of central nervous system depression to aid in alcohol withdrawal with something like Ativan thrown in on top of it as needed for breakthrough symptoms.  I've seen plenty of alcohol detox.  Librium is a lifesaver.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 2:52:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Umm, valium is really strong, bro.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Diazprem/Valium (Page 2 of 2)
Top Top