Was he Swatted?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:00:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lil_Sig:
"may have entered the wrong apartment."

They still don't know?
View Quote

I don't think they've conclusively (at least publicly) identified the source of the heated discussion, or even the existence of the heated discussion which prompted the call to the sheriff's department. Therefore we don't know if the airman's apartment was the source.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:00:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alex_F] [#3]
What a shit-show.  The Airman was on a video call with someone, no one else in the apt.  Family is going to get paid.

RIP
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Is there ANY information available yet that is not supposition and/or conjecture?  Haven’t read through all these threads because when they started there was no useful information available.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:01:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TAG_Match:
Is there ANY information available yet that is not supposition and/or conjecture?  Haven’t read through all these threads because when they started there was no useful information available.
View Quote

no
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

Let's wait for the police to investigate themselves.  They have a good track record too.
View Quote

isn’t that the troof.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:08:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Sad story. A fellow Gunner from my former unit. I’ve got a lot of friends that are hurting and all say he was a good dude. Okaloosa Sheriff press conference in an hour or two and should release the body cam and get some truth.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By PepePewPew:

The only witness we've heard from was on a conference call with the deceased at the time.
Witness says "wrong apartment" because he knows it couldn't have been the right apartment. But that doesn't mean there ever was a right apartment, so 'mistaken address' doesn't really apply here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:

where is the work meeting thing coming from?

The only witness we've heard from was on a conference call with the deceased at the time.
Witness says "wrong apartment" because he knows it couldn't have been the right apartment. But that doesn't mean there ever was a right apartment, so 'mistaken address' doesn't really apply here.

Where did this conference call thing come from?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TAG_Match:
View Quote

We know he's dead.
We know he was in his own apartment.
We know the sheriff got a call.
We're assuming he was holding a firearm when he got deaded.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#10]

A fact is that the longer it goes between the shooting and the video being released by the cops, the worse it ends up being for the taxpayer.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By UV18:

I'll hold my breath waiting on charges.  

I figured you would hold your breath waiting on facts

But then you couldn't feed the conspiracy machine

A fact is that the longer it goes between the shooting and the video being released by the cops, the worse it ends up being for the taxpayer.  

When another agency steps in to investigate, the agency being investigated isn't making decisions on releasing body cam footage.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:23:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Creatyre:

When another agency steps in to investigate, the agency being investigated isn't making decisions on releasing body cam footage.
View Quote

What footage is left, that is.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#12]

We know he's dead.
We know he was in his own apartment.
We know the sheriff got a call.
We're assuming he was holding a firearm when he got deaded.
View Quote

Crump says he had his "legally obtained" gun
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:26:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Tarkan:

View All Quotes

23 posts in and already shouting ignorance.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#14]

23 posts in and already shouting ignorance.
View Quote

Yes, there's NEVER been a case of doctored, edited or "lost" footage. Ever.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:29:15 PM EDT
[#15]
And this is the same department as the acorn cop shooting? Oh boy...
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Pretty sure you cant randomly delete footage off the Axon servers
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:33:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Okaloosa County, Florida Sheriff press conference on deadly Air Force Airman shooting
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:40:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PepePewPew] [#18]
Originally Posted By BigSky171:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfDvWs9Bfn0
View Quote

Sheriff opens with a bunch of statements, all selected to be prejudicial against Airman. But if the investigation shows he was innocent, I promise to the family that I will clear the Airman's name.

Facts begin at 13:00
Video 14:43
18:45, Airman opens door calmly, gun in right hand held straight down at floor, instant mag dump into Airman.
18:50, Airman down "Drop the gun! Drop the gun! Drop the gun!"
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:46:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn…that cop needs to go to jail forever.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By UV18:

FaceTime video is what the one report said. That isn't a "conference call".
View Quote

Distinction without a difference : Logical fallacy

He was either communicating with one or more people electronically / remote or he was not.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By BigSky171:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfDvWs9Bfn0
View Quote
Damn....
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Didn't even attempt to raise/aim his gun.
In his own home, armed, which is legal.
Immediately either tossed or dropped the gun when shot.
Showed ZERO aggression towards the deputy.

Needs to be some serious prison time happening.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Ben Crump likes to sue police departments. He's well known in my area
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By tri5333:
Ben Crump likes to sue police departments. He's well known in my area
View Quote

If only there were a way to put him out of business. Gotta be something, right?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:54:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ttushooter] [#25]
So crump is again a liar.  

but damn sure just looks like the cop saw the gun and started blasting.   i watched it a couple times, but can't physically see the gun due to the blurring or it being behind the door frame out of camera view.   doesn't show if it was by his side, pointed at/out the door, etc.  

Officer did announce himself multiple times and dude still came to the door with a gun allegedly in hand.  

some of the finer details you can't see will be the determination of a good or bad shoot.  

if dude had looked out the peep hole, seen it was a cop  and put the gun down somewhere away from the door he'd likely be alive.  

what the dude was doing with the gun (that you can't see well) is the make or break.

but i'm leaning towards bad shoot.  Dude didnt seem aggressive from what you could see.  

edit.  nevermind.   dude had gun at his side and never raised it.   bad shoot
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By ttushooter:

but damn sure just looks like the cop saw the gun and started blasting.   i watched it a couple times, but can't physically see the gun due to the blurring or it being behind the door frame out of camera view.   doesn't show if it was by his side, pointed at/out the door, etc.  

Officer did announce himself multiple times and dude still came to the door with a gun allegedly in hand.  

some of the finer details you can't see will be the determination of a good or bad shoot.  

if dude had looked out the peep hole, seen it was a cop  and put the gun down somewhere away from the door he'd likely be alive.  

what the dude was doing with the gun (that you can't see well) is the make or break.

View Quote

What video are you watching? The firearm is clear as day.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#27]

What video are you watching? The firearm is clear as day.
View Quote

was watching it on a shitty cell screen.   rewatched on an actual monitor again.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Wow
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Yep, murdered him as fast as he could.

Its like interacting with cops at all for any reason is just a bad idea.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#30]

but i'm leaning towards bad shoot.  Dude didnt seem aggressive from what you could see.  

View Quote

It looked to me like the cop spent the entire time avoiding being visible from the peep hole, but it's hard to tell for sure
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:01:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PepePewPew] [#31]

View All Quotes

Because no home invasion robbers have ever yelled "police! Open the door!" before hiding outside of peephole range.

Depending on where he was, he might not have heard the announcement, but I'm guessing he probably heard it at least once.
Since he's dead and the only possible charges are against the cop, the only thing that matters is what the cop did and knew.  I'll concede that the cop made every honest effort to announce, he wasn't playing fuck-fuck games with pretending to announce.

Agreed.
In hindsight, with no sightlines into the apartment, you aren't getting shot if you don't open the door.
Throw the deadbolt if it isn't already locked, and "Did you say you're the police?"
"This is the police! Open the door now!"
"You got a warrant?"
"Open the door!"
"Have a nice day, officer"
Then the officer leaves or kicks the door in. If he kicks the door in, the airman can be the one delivering the mag dump with little fear of prison sentence.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By TXBBQGuy:

It looked to me like the cop spent the entire time avoiding being visible from the peep hole, but it's hard to tell for sure
View Quote

That's not tactically unsound. But while that, don't expect someone to come to the door unarmed, when someone is beating on the door, just because you announce you're a cop.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:03:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ttushooter] [#33]

View Quote

when he was over to his left/the doors right, he would have been visible to the peep hole from what i see.   he did walk over pretty far to his right/door left and probably dropped out of view.  but he went back and forth.

that said, standing right the fuck in front of a door is a good way to catch bullets if someone does decide to start shooting through it.  exterior wall will offer a little more protection.   most cops wont stand straight in front of a door for that reason.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I will never understand how members of this site can be "pro-2A" and still try to defend stuff like this.

If you get executed at your door for being armed on your property, what rights to arms do you actually have?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:07:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Prison. Fuck that guy.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:08:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: walkinginadangerzone] [#36]
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:
Well if it isn't true the Sheriff better make a statement soon.

Most of MSM is saying it was the wrong apartment.

Fuck Ben Crump, but this is what the local paper printed.

According to Crump's press release, a witness who was on a Facetime call with Fortson at the time of the shooting said that Fortson was alone in his apartment when he heard a knock at his door.

Fortson, concerned for his safety, retrieved his legally owned gun, the release says. As Fortson returned to the living room, the witness said, deputies "burst through his door." When deputies saw the gun, they fired at Fortson six times.

Fortson asked, "Who is it?" and failed to get a response, the release says. A few minutes later, Fortson heard an "aggressive" knock, but failed to see anyone once he looked out his peephole.

The witness said he saw Fortson on the ground, stating, "I can't breathe," after he was shot. The witness also said police were at the wrong apartment, and there was no disturbance, according to the release.

The above could be bullshit coming from Crump, but what if it isn't?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:
Originally Posted By walkinginadangerzone:

The title of the article is saying the "Family said". Looked through two others and that wording didn't come up. So it could just be that particular news media saying it.
Well if it isn't true the Sheriff better make a statement soon.

Most of MSM is saying it was the wrong apartment.

Fuck Ben Crump, but this is what the local paper printed.

According to Crump's press release, a witness who was on a Facetime call with Fortson at the time of the shooting said that Fortson was alone in his apartment when he heard a knock at his door.

Fortson, concerned for his safety, retrieved his legally owned gun, the release says. As Fortson returned to the living room, the witness said, deputies "burst through his door." When deputies saw the gun, they fired at Fortson six times.

Fortson asked, "Who is it?" and failed to get a response, the release says. A few minutes later, Fortson heard an "aggressive" knock, but failed to see anyone once he looked out his peephole.

The witness said he saw Fortson on the ground, stating, "I can't breathe," after he was shot. The witness also said police were at the wrong apartment, and there was no disturbance, according to the release.

The above could be bullshit coming from Crump, but what if it isn't?

It could just be the media outlet saying it. Apparently the Sheriff's office will put out an press statement or something like that in a few hours.

Edit: it's up
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:11:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Based just on that video it looks like a bad shoot.  Crump is going to sue for $100's of millions and get a new plane out of it unless there was a female victim of abuse in the apartment.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:11:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Yeah… I’d agree with most of the hive, that hotdog cop could have waited for the guy to get at least one shot off, before engaging. Or, how about more range time so he would be able to shoot the gun out of  the guys hand, or you know use tactical pocket sand and just temporarily blind the guy, and take him down.

Seriously, if anyone watched the bodycam footage and still argues the cop should go to prison, well, honestly get some counseling.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:11:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#39]
That *could* be defendable criminally, but it is a bad shoot. Combined with the acorn incident, the department looks bad, and the lawyers are going to have a field day with that department and officer.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:12:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Don’t open the door.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By BourbonBeast:
I will never understand how members of this site can be "pro-2A" and still try to defend stuff like this.

If you get executed at your door for being armed on your property, what rights to arms do you actually have?
View Quote

Some animals are more important than other animals. The funny thing is, Okaloosa is a supposed 2A sanctuary county, and the people there will swear up and down the SD would protect them from the ATF. LOL.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:13:01 PM EDT
[#42]

That's not tactically unsound. But while that, don't expect someone to come to the door unarmed, when someone is beating on the door, just because you announce you're a cop.
View All Quotes

I agree, have done it myself. But interesting that the sheriff made it a point to say "he never obstructed the peep hole"
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By 1994LC3X:
Don’t open the door.
View Quote

That's a good way to get arrested for not complying and getting a broken door.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

This was the first thing that came to mind when I was watching the video. He kept knocking and moving out of the view of the peep hole.  Probably related to paranoia of being shot through the door.  Also yelling police doesn't mean shit.  Any robber can yell police.  Cop is a straight up murderer.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Pallas:
That *could* be defendable criminally, but it is a bad shoot. Combined with the acorn incident, the department looks bad, and the lawyers are going to have a field day with that department and officer.
View Quote

Is this the same department
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By XNARC:
Yeah… I’d agree with most of the hive, that hotdog cop could have waited for the guy to get at least one shot off, before engaging. Or, how about more range time so he would be able to shoot the gun out of  the guys hand, or you know use tactical pocket sand and just temporarily blind the guy, and take him down.

Seriously, if anyone watched the bodycam footage and still argues the cop should go to prison, well, honestly get some counseling.
View Quote

So you believe that cops should be able to shoot you for the crime of opening the door of your home armed?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:15:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PepePewPew] [#47]

I agree, have done it myself. But interesting that the sheriff made it a point to say "he never obstructed the peep hole"
View Quote

The sheriff grasped every possible straw in biasing the audience against the airman (or at least against the family's narrative) before showing the video.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By PeepEater:

That's a good way to get arrested for not complying and getting a broken door.
View Quote

He got dreaded for opening the door so tell me how that would be worse.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:17:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By treelow:
Ben Crump is involved?

Yeah, I’m gonna withhold any opinions until more info comes out. Crump’s word isn’t worth shit to me.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Death-by-karen. Jesus...

So a third party Karen called, "who sounded scared" b/c heard some arguing. That's all the information he had? And the same department as the acorn cop... Coward fucking cop, working for a coward department that probably trained him that way.
Page / 39
Top Top