Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 44
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:18:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By st0newall:

in a way its everyones fault. crazy folks armed with knives and guns out in the wild everywhere. violence against cops seems to be a trend. cops shooting first and asking questions later seems to be a trend. emptying your gun into the target is a trend.

i guess the best way to handle the situation would be to call  for backup including swat. make sure you have a guy at the head of the stack before the door is opened so you have the luxury of dealing with the situation behind a shield.

question for folks here. youre armed at knight you walk around the corner and there is a guy standing there, two feet away with a gun at his side. what would your reaction be?

there is a lot of fear an tension everywhere. some cops panic sooner than others. ive seen it myself
View Quote

Or maybe make sure you are at the correct address. Stop, look and listen.  Then knock on the door like an adult while announcing POLICE loudly.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:18:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By UV18:

So, the police shouldn't contact anyone at anytime unless they hear something...... according to GD.
View Quote

If you want to have an actual consensual conversation, unlike this guy, that’s one thing.  Rabid Judge Dredd is another.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:19:00 PM EDT
[#3]

So, the police shouldn't contact anyone at anytime unless they hear something...... according to GD.
View Quote

Didn't say that did I? I was pointing out your statement goes both ways. It's shooting like this that are cause people to say f the police. If it's hard for you to understand that the kid had just as much right to live as the cop then you have a screw loose. Why is it that Game Wardens that deal with armed people all the time aren't killing people left and right? Are they better trained or just have a better mentality?
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:22:36 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MSGTUSAF:

Weird I don't want my son or daughter killed by some over zealous gun happy cop either, or any other innocent law-abiding citizen. The cops the one that signed for like the 40th most dangerous job not me or any other civilian.

Or just don't kill someone who isn't threatening them?

Not sure why that's such a big ask.  No problem with a knock and talk, just don't go killing people because they have have gun that's not being used in a threatening manner.  But literally held to their side.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:23:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Low_Country:

No.

But silence is not probable cause to enter a private residence, just because some Karen called 911.
View Quote

Show us where entry was made.... Or even attempted.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:25:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UV18] [#6]
Originally Posted By haveTwo:

Not sure why that's such a big ask.  No problem with a knock and talk, just don't go killing people because they have have gun that's not being used in a threatening manner.  But literally held to their side.
View Quote

Go read what these others typed........ no noise means the police should not even bother contacting anyone inside. That is what these posters here want.

Knock and talk was correct. Listening first was correct. Doing this alone was not correct. Without any noise, there was no point in rushing the contact.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:26:13 PM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes

No.

But silence is not probable cause to enter a private residence, just because some Karen called 911.

The guy literally shot someone who didn't make any threatening action.  I mean literally nothing threatening.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:27:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Go read what these others typed........ no noise means the police should not even bother contacting anyone inside.
View All Quotes

Go read what these others typed........ no noise means the police should not even bother contacting anyone inside.

Again, no problem with knocking and talking.

Big problem with killing a guy because he has a gun in his hand pointed down, and zero threatening actions.

Want to take a guess why people are upset?
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:28:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Low_Country] [#9]

View All Quotes

We are talking about your hypothetical now.

Weird.... Your daughter is being beaten inside an apartment. Neighbors call the police.

Cops show up and don't hear anything because she is knocked out on the floor. Cops should just leave, right? No noise so why even make contact?

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:32:13 PM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes

Weird.... Your daughter is being beaten inside an apartment. Neighbors call the police.

Cops show up and don't hear anything because she is knocked out on the floor. Cops should just leave, right? No noise so why even make contact?

And just assuming it's the right thing to do to ventilate the guy who opens the door without threatening.

Went to know why fewer trust government agents?

Lack of accountability.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:32:53 PM EDT
[#11]
If it weren't such a sad situation, I'd honestly laugh at someone the posts in this thread trying to demonize the victim by claiming that he had a "rude" demeanor in the second between opening to door and being aerated or that he "drew down" on the officer.

My late father was an attorney who worked as a prosecutor and as defense counsel.

He used to say that eyewitness testimony was generally worthless because people always let personal biases inform what they actually saw. As time has passed, I've realized that the old man was right, as usual.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:37:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Jason280:

Honestly, what does this accomplish?  Tax payers will fund the settlement, the officer will likely get no more than a stern verbal warning (if that), and the young man will still be dead.  Until the money starts coming out of departmental budgets or pension plans, this behavior isn't going to change.  
View Quote

Only when they feel the pain like the families experience, it isn't even a blip on the radar to them.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:41:31 PM EDT
[#13]

And just assuming it's the right thing to do to ventilate the guy who opens the door without threatening.

Went to know why fewer trust government agents?

Lack of accountability.
View Quote

The California Supreme Court just ruled that a person trying to avoid contact with police doesn't provide reasonable suspicion for an investigative detention.

I've seen some people crapping on the decision, but if the standard is that cops are allowed to use any manner of force if they feel even slightly threatened, then it's only reasonable that most people should want to avoid dealing with them if possible.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:41:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:

This isnt targeted towards you

it isnt an issue of pro vs anti and the shooting being justified or not.  It is the anti cop crowd crying about wanting to see the video and when the video is shown they suddenly dont see or hear parts of it as if they were struck deaf and blind during those few moments of the video.  Admitting that the deputy was told that there were reports of prior DVs (to the office by other residents), that someone had said (and Im pretty sure that is the 911 caller saying this) there had been a DV heard in that area with something that sounded like a slap landing two weeks prior, etc doesnt mean the shooting is suddenly good and you loose cool points with your boys.  When Ray Charles can see the door to the apartment is open and the deputy is telling the only other person around (the victim) to step back Stevie doesnt have to Wonder "Who is he telling to step back?"  

And no; the victim wasnt going to get a shot off from the hip like he's Cool Chaps McGee from the local SASS circuit.  And if NC had a brandishing statute; I wouldnt say the victim had violated it by what I saw.  

I mean damn people......it isnt that hard.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Alex_F:

A person can be pro-cop and watch this and decide that the officer was too fast on the trigger, which is what will happen when it goes to civil suit.

There's keeping yourself safe and there's interacting with an armed but not belligerent public without mag dumping into their center mass.

I hope the LEOs defending this guy never have to be in this scenario.

This isnt targeted towards you

it isnt an issue of pro vs anti and the shooting being justified or not.  It is the anti cop crowd crying about wanting to see the video and when the video is shown they suddenly dont see or hear parts of it as if they were struck deaf and blind during those few moments of the video.  Admitting that the deputy was told that there were reports of prior DVs (to the office by other residents), that someone had said (and Im pretty sure that is the 911 caller saying this) there had been a DV heard in that area with something that sounded like a slap landing two weeks prior, etc doesnt mean the shooting is suddenly good and you loose cool points with your boys.  When Ray Charles can see the door to the apartment is open and the deputy is telling the only other person around (the victim) to step back Stevie doesnt have to Wonder "Who is he telling to step back?"  

And no; the victim wasnt going to get a shot off from the hip like he's Cool Chaps McGee from the local SASS circuit.  And if NC had a brandishing statute; I wouldnt say the victim had violated it by what I saw.  

I mean damn people......it isnt that hard.

Again this is all hearsay. Did they verify any of this? I don't see where they did. It would be real easy to verify who the alleged trouble maker was if that was the case.

I don't doubt it's a possibility and DV calls are usually the ones where things could go sideways instantly. But they still need to verify and then not light the guy up just because he is holding a gun.

You ignore this over and over and it gets old.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:47:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Big problem with killing a guy because he has a gun in his hand pointed down, and zero threatening actions.

View Quote

I agree. Still want to hear more about the incident and I haven't found the video Aimless posted about.

My comments were directed towards the fools that thought without them locating immediate evidence to support the call that the police should never make contact.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:49:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Strike6:
Bad shoot all the way around. He saw the gun in the civilian's hands, made a verbal command, and then went lethal without any justification to do so and without giving time for the verbal command to take effect.

If you're a LEO and you are defending this, you are absolutely the wrong man for the job. Period.
View Quote

First off the Airman is not a "civilian" and second off the Police are "civilians" you got that completely backward. About par for GD.

You did at least get the bad shoot part right.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:57:30 PM EDT
[#17]

I agree. Still want to hear more about the incident and I haven't found the video Aimless posted about.

My comments were directed towards the fools that thought without them locating immediate evidence to support the call that the police should never make contact.
View All Quotes

Not sure what video he's talking about, I've only seen the I've from the press release.

So to be clear, do you think good shoot or bad shoot?
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:59:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By wvfarrier:
I am a former LEO and here is my .02 is that cop f!@$$ up.   He beat on the door and did not annoumce until it was too late and he was WAY too fast pulling tbe trigger.   A LEO cannot legally fire upon someone in their own home unless there is an immediate threat.  Simply holding a firearm down at your side does not constitute hostile act/hostile intent.  Now, in reality, nothing will happen criminally but maybe, just maybe he can be sued
View Quote

You're a former LEO? Sound pretty confused on what I understand the law to normally be - an imminent threat of death or serious physical injury, not an immediate threat.

This isn't the first, or likely the last, time someone has been shot answering their own door with a firearm in hand. In TONS of cases, holding a firearm absolutely constitutes a hostile act/hostile intent, generally because other facts are present. And if you watch enough youtube, you can find TONS of police interactions where someone starts holding a weapon at their side, or behind them, only to shoot at the officers a few seconds later. It sucks that no one cared enough for this kid to tell him not to answer the door with a gun in his hand. But who knows, maybe it was a high crime apartment, or maybe he had problematic neighbors. Maybe there were criminal crews pretending to be police officers in order to rob people, which happens.

If nothing happens criminally, its because of the facts:

Person credibly reported possible domestic.
Officer knocked and announced.
Person at the residence appeared at the door with a weapon in their hand.

None of that means it wasn't a tragedy, but your take on this is bonkers and I'd love to know what LE agency you claim to be part ot.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:00:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

I would argue it was a non-consentual encounter based on the pounding on the door and the officer’s choice of words.

So he started with an illegal detention then decided to double down to unreasonable legal force.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:
Originally Posted By Tallahasseezz:

For the beating that took place two weeks ago? He was alone in the apartment and talking to somebody on the phone. Going to be really interesting to find out who the mystery Karen who instigated this is. And what her relationship and prior contact to the victim was.

Good dancing. How did anyone else know he was alone? Making contact was a reasonable step.

I would argue it was a non-consentual encounter based on the pounding on the door and the officer’s choice of words.

So he started with an illegal detention then decided to double down to unreasonable legal force.

Dude, calm down. What is a non-consensual encounter? What is illegal detention? What is unreasonable legal force? There are lots of videos where real experts are talking about this shooting, people with law degrees, people who understand use of force laws in the U.S. Watch those and post less.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:03:54 AM EDT
[#20]
This Airman must have a Colonel way above him in his chain. Sure hope that Colonel makes it very clear to this sheriff that accountability will be had at either the state or federal level.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:05:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Phil_Billy:

Again this is all hearsay. Did they verify any of this? I don't see where they did. It would be real easy to verify who the alleged trouble maker was if that was the case.

I don't doubt it's a possibility and DV calls are usually the ones where things could go sideways instantly. But they still need to verify and then not light the guy up just because he is holding a gun.

View Quote

How do they verify a possible DV is underway or just happened? By knocking on the door of the residence where they are told the DV(s) have happened perhaps?

I'm not seeing where Ive ignored anything.....................what exactly have I ignored?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:07:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Middlelength:

You're a former LEO? Sound pretty confused on what I understand the law to normally be - an imminent threat of death or serious physical injury, not an immediate threat.

This isn't the first, or likely the last, time someone has been shot answering their own door with a firearm in hand. In TONS of cases, holding a firearm absolutely constitutes a hostile act/hostile intent, generally because other facts are present. And if you watch enough youtube, you can find TONS of police interactions where someone starts holding a weapon at their side, or behind them, only to shoot at the officers a few seconds later. It sucks that no one cared enough for this kid to tell him not to answer the door with a gun in his hand. But who knows, maybe it was a high crime apartment, or maybe he had problematic neighbors. Maybe there were criminal crews pretending to be police officers in order to rob people, which happens.

None of that means it wasn't a tragedy, but your take on this is bonkers and I'd love to know what LE agency you claim to be part ot.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Middlelength:
Originally Posted By wvfarrier:
I am a former LEO and here is my .02 is that cop f!@$$ up.   He beat on the door and did not annoumce until it was too late and he was WAY too fast pulling tbe trigger.   A LEO cannot legally fire upon someone in their own home unless there is an immediate threat.  Simply holding a firearm down at your side does not constitute hostile act/hostile intent.  Now, in reality, nothing will happen criminally but maybe, just maybe he can be sued

Was he breaking the law by holding his gun at his side in his own residence?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:13:16 AM EDT
[#23]

First off the Airman is not a "civilian" and second off the Police are "civilians" you got that completely backward. About par for GD.

View Quote

Here….just like the gd, understand shit half ass

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:13:39 AM EDT
[#24]

How do they verify a possible DV is underway or just happened? By knocking on the door of the residence where they are told the DV(s) have happened perhaps?

I'm not seeing where Ive ignored anything.....................what exactly have I ignored?
View All Quotes

You think it would have stopped with a knock and talk? Entering the residence was next on the list in all probability. Could the resident have just shut the door?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:22:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: haveTwo] [#25]
Originally Posted By Beltfed308:

You think it would have stopped with a knock and talk? Entering the residence was next on the list in all probability. Could the resident have just shut the door?
View All Quotes

Kinda hard to close a door when he was killed in under a couple seconds while not actually breaking any laws near as can be determined.

Guess the only solution is to let government do whatever they need to do to assure themselves of whatever they are thinking of.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:31:07 AM EDT
[#26]

Kinda hard to close a die when he was killed in under a couple seconds while not actually breaking any laws near as can be determined.

Guess the only solution is to let government do whatever they need to do to assure themselves of whatever they are thinking of.
View All Quotes

Kinda hard to close a die when he was killed in under a couple seconds while not actually breaking any laws near as can be determined.

"We had a call" would have covered searching the residence for phantom victims given the mindset. You know, just to be sure.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:36:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Murder.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:59:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Francisco_dAnconia] [#28]
So according to this,every person ever approached by a game warden should be dead..... Good thing GWs are better trained and have bigger balls than cops. I guess I should be dead as many times as our GW has seen me carrying a gun.
View All Quotes
So according to this,every person ever approached by a game warden should be dead..... Good thing GWs are better trained and have bigger balls than cops. I guess I should be dead as many times as our GW has seen me carrying a gun.
"What if I'm at the nude beach?"

Do the outdoors (woods, beach, whatever) where you live have doors in them that only the nude hunter can open?  If not then your what if is irrelevant and retarded.

Originally Posted By PeepEater:
So is facing a subject with a handgun out at high ready across the chest pointing down brandishing?
English please.

Originally Posted By Tallahasseezz:
Let's follow your logic here.  Say you and I are going to have a duel.  The setup is going to be we stand 5 feet apart.  I will already have my gun up and pointed at you.  You will be standing still pointing your gun at the ground.  You should clearly accept these terms since you think you have the advantage by posting that video, right?

You won't though because in the video the guy is walking around.  He can pull the gun from the side not visible and get the drop.  It's not the same scenario and is just a diversion you are posting.
In the first video the initiator was static with his gun in full view of the reactor.  That video wasn't good enough for some people so they did another drill with live Simunitions and it still isn't good enough!

Your comprehension is bad and you should feel bad.  The video shows that the initiator has the advantage in getting the first shot off and nothing else.  Being the initiator while already being aimed in would be an even bigger advantage.

Originally Posted By xd675:
Not really sure this video is the be all end all to settle shooting a man for just holding a gun because of reaction time.

There is a big difference in who gets a shot off first and who makes the first hit.  I'd like to see who was hit first and where.

Also the immediate training remedy to this scenario is for the officer to back off gaining more distance which greatly complicates any point shooting by the bad guy.
It and the original video erase the idea that it is impossible for a guy with his pistol pointing down at his side to be a threat to the officer.

At what hit rate would you accept the risk to your life?  99%? 50%? 25%? 5%? 1%? 0.01%?  Is your acceptable-for-you risk the same as your acceptable-for-somebody-else risk?

The officer had a railing to his back when Fortson opened the door.  He couldn't back up unless you expect him to jump off the fourth floor.

Using a video of a former cop that shot an unarmed black man....... good choice
Really?  Aikibiker posted the other video from them and this one, also from them, was the top suggested video for me.

Originally Posted By Pioneer1:
He absolutely did NOT 'draw' on the officer either as several have called it here. Drawing is the act of movement to put sights on target- he did not make any move of the kind.
draw 1b: to pull up or out of a receptacle or place where seated or carried
At some point, before he opened the door, he drew the pistol from a holster or storage location.  It's even theoretically possible he did so long before the cop arrived and just happened to be holding it the entire time.

You are going to jail for a very long time with this line of reasoning. You most absolutely have the right to open carry a firearm. As well as in your hand, at port arms and so on.

The only way you would be justified in shooting is if the open carrier pointed the gun at you. Why you think this is any different from the officers is beyond me.

Pretty sure you have no idea how the law works, you and officer trigger happy are about to get a very hard lesson in it.
Open carry?  What are you on about?

Let me turn that right back on you.  Do you really think any sane juror is going to buy your argument that displaying a gun while you answer the door isn't brandishing and no reasonable person that ever has existed or ever will exist could possibly interpret that as a threat?  You're going to get a real hard lesson if you try that.

I already said, repeatedly, "Cops or Girl Scouts -- it doesn't matter."  Which orifice did you pull the "Why you think this is any different from the officers is beyond me." BS from?

How can you misconstrue anything the young man did as either "in a rude manner" or "threatening"? The mere possession of a firearm at your side, finger off the trigger, and with your opposite hand up in a what is clearly a defensive position is not threatening.  

It amazes me the levels some people will go to defend this sort of behavior.  What's really sad is the cop will likely never be charged, the guy will still be dead, and the family will win the Tax-Payer LottoR.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/583190/A633E28D-D169-4846-8E94-675857EF333F_jpe-3210296.JPG
It's called the TOTALITY of the circumstances.  He's not "merely holding a pistol."  He's displaying a firearm, while answering the door, while knowing it was a cop.  (You can hear Fortson say "police" on the body camera.)  Stop picking and choosing.

How you can misconstrue displaying a firearm as you answer the door as anything other than inherently rude and threatening is beyond me.  It amazes me the levels some people will go to defend this sort of behavior.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:10:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By XNARC:

https://i.imgur.com/KtquXKe.jpg
View All Quotes

A recent definition—last several decades. Previously it was understood that civilians were persons not subject to military law, following an older distinction between secular and Canon law. It’s not a distinction that we can fairly expect a tradesman to understand.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:10:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kits4] [#30]
Murder
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:14:48 AM EDT
[#31]
That's one way to make sure nobody ever opens the door for police. Good grief.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:53:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mpdphil] [#32]
I think we should only open the door completely naked and as soon as it’s open we hold our hands and reach for the sky. Will people still be shot by police? Absolutely, especially if you use the “totality of the circumstances” argument the poster a few posts back referenced. “I saw his boner and feared for my safety.” Think about it, the cops are at the door and the guy answers naked? The cops were obviously sent there for some kind of violation obviously. Through their training and experience it’s evident that while investigating a possible crime they encounter a man, who knows the police are outside his door, answers completely naked? Obviously he has ill intent, maybe a rapist, or even worse, the Odessa ass bandit? As people who subscribe to this way of life quite possibly have all kinds of nasty diseases, it would be unwise and perhaps deadly (AIDS?) for the police to go hands on with this naked aggressor and risk having their anus or other bodily orifice penetrated and be inflicted with a possibly deadly disease, the totality of the circumstances would warrant the use of deadly force in this case so the officer would be able to go home and STD free.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:14:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By NIevo:
Cop was really fast on the trigger however, he pretty clearly knocked and announced himself and at that point someone answering the door probably shouldn't be brandishing a gun like that guy did.
View Quote

Get out of here with the crazy talk!
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:15:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jason280] [#34]
He's displaying a firearm, while answering the door, while knowing it was a cop.  (You can hear Fortson say "police" on the body camera.)  Stop picking and choosing.
View Quote
So, we've gone from holding a firearm, to brandishing a firearm, to now merely displaying a firearm?  You really can't be this obtuse.  Just look at the pic.  He is merely holding a firearm, while still in his own private residence, and is in no way acting aggressively or in any threatening manner.  In fact, he never had time to act in any way other than to raise his left hand in a defensive posture.

Furthermore, you have no idea what the young man knew or heard.  Period.  All we know is that he opened the door and was immediately shot.  Dead men never really get to tell their side of the story, we are just extremely fortunate in this case the body cam wasn't turned off or conveniently malfunctioning.

How you can misconstrue displaying a firearm as you answer the door as anything other than inherently rude and threatening is beyond me.  It amazes me the levels some people will go to defend this sort of behavior.
View Quote
I ask myself all the time how people can just sit back and let gun laws/restrictions get passed so easily, and these sort of threads make it all painfully obvious why it happens.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:26:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By BourbonBeast:
I don't understand how some of the ARFcops are defending this. I really don't.

Do they think incidents like this are going to make their jobs easier? Get them the approval and funding they need? Get their profession back into a place of public trust and respect?

I hate to say it but maybe we need to keep indicting these cops on murder charges until the trigger happy ones wash out. I just don't see this problem being fixed as long as large swaths of the police forces in this country keep it up with this "us vs. them, I'll shoot and kill anyone to make sure I go home, and then I'll bend the law until it breaks to justify my actions" attitude.

Judging by the posters in this thread calling it a good shoot and even saying they'd do the same thing or the Airman deserved it for being armed, if I had to choose between a home invasion or one of you coming to my door, I know which one I'd pick. At least the home invader would go to jail if he shot me at my doorstep for no reason.
View Quote

Find one single cop in this thread who's said it was a good shoot.

Legally justified is not the same as good. Plenty of shootings, by cops and armed citizens alike, have been decided as not rising to the level of a criminal charge...and yet still been entirely unnecessary and tragic losses of life.

Where things go off the rails (besides the general media-inflamed hatred for LE these days) is understanding the why of how things happen, or the legalities thereof. Much like how the legal definition of "brandishing" has been pointed out and argued repeatedly in this thread, the blunt truth is that if few cops have a deep and thorough knowledge of use of force laws, the overwhelming majority of the public/gun owners/GD have an almost non-existent knowledge of applicable statutes and case law. In the immortal words of Richard Feynmann, they're "not even wrong" because the fundamental concepts at play globally within the US criminal justice system are totally unknown to the people commenting on them.

Which is precisely why the most applicable takeaways from this: don't answer the goddamn door with a gun in your hand - is also the statement least willing to be understood and heard by the crowds here.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:30:43 AM EDT
[#36]

You are going to jail for a very long time with this line of reasoning. You most absolutely have the right to open carry a firearm. As well as in your hand, at port arms and so on.

The only way you would be justified in shooting is if the open carrier pointed the gun at you. Why you think this is any different from the officers is beyond me.

Pretty sure you have no idea how the law works, you and officer trigger happy are about to get a very hard lesson in it.

By your line of reasoning a Game Warden can shoot anyone because pretty much everyone he comes across is not only armed but open carrying.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Francisco_dAnconia:
Gee, I dunno ... maybe the dude brandishing a weapon?

WTF does that have to do with this scenario?

RKBA does not cover brandishing.  You can have the gun all you want just keep it concealed or out of sight when you open the door.  Or don't open the door.  If you choose the stupid option instead then expect the knocker to interpret you as the threat.

It has nothing to do with "local govt employees acting like they own your property."  Like I said initially cops or Girl Scouts -- it doesn't matter.  (I thought govt employees were overpaid union-protected slackers.  Shouldn't they be the ones owning property?)

By your line of reasoning a Game Warden can shoot anyone because pretty much everyone he comes across is not only armed but open carrying.

Many people here argued that it was lawful for the decedent in Farmington, NM to answer the door while holding his pistol at waist level pointing out at the officers who were knocking.

Oddly, none of those posters wanted to eat crow and admit they were wrong because their knowledge of the law was incomplete and faulty.

GD needs to spend less time worrying about guilty or not guilty, and a FUCKLOAD more time sitting through some basic classes on use of force laws.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:40:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By TGE:
Sure, sure. Summary: disparage victim with accusations of wife-beating to shift blame onto him, fabricate a verbal threat to fit what you hope happened and thus remove even more responsibility from the killer, then declare that anyone who ever holds a firearm in a casual manner inside their own home is "flashing" their piece because that sounds scarier than saying the victim was "holding it at his side in an unthreatening manner".

Like I said, very unpredictable
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WesJanson:
Typical high quality post.  1) Accuses airman of beating his g/f 2) claims airman said something to provoke the cop with 0 evidence and 3) talks about "flashing" the piece, as if dude was doing anything besides holding it loosely at his side.

Good stuff, and so unpredictable!

I'm not creating an accusation, I'm relaying what his neighbor reported to the deputy on bodycam.

"Two weeks ago I was walking by their apartment basically on this side, and I was hearing someone yell "shut the fuck up like you stupid b word and all this stuff ,and I heard a slap right after."

The bodycam at 16:35:41 shows a caption of inaudible - police - inaudible. The airman definitively made a verbal statement inside his apartment, involving the word "police". Within a second the deputy begins pounding on the door again, and loudly demanding he open the door. The deputy's tone and behavior dramatically shift right after those inaudible statements that contain the word "police". Hence why it appears probable that something in them triggered a heightened response, and it wasn't "oh teh noes, thy local constabulatory is beckoning at my doorstep for tea".

Holding a gun in your hand in a visible manner is indeed "flashing" it. If I'm answering the door armed, I keep my weapon behind my leg or the door. The airman had no legal duty to keep it concealed, but made zero effect to keep it concealed either.

Don't flash guns at the front door.

Legally, it's going to be highly relevant what the deputy reported hearing right before the door opened. Bodycam microphones don't capture everything the human ear does, and the human mind frequently misinterprets statements and observations as well. What the deputy heard or believed he heard will play a major role in what occurs next.

Don't flash guns at the front door.
Sure, sure. Summary: disparage victim with accusations of wife-beating to shift blame onto him, fabricate a verbal threat to fit what you hope happened and thus remove even more responsibility from the killer, then declare that anyone who ever holds a firearm in a casual manner inside their own home is "flashing" their piece because that sounds scarier than saying the victim was "holding it at his side in an unthreatening manner".

Like I said, very unpredictable

I didn't make the accusations. The woman who told the apartment management to call 911 did so. If you can't distinguish between the words of a person in GD, and the actual reporting party of a call, why should anyone pay attention to what you're saying?

As far as what was said, I'm describing what's visible in the video. If the deputy's statement to investigators is "beats me, I just panicked when I saw the gun and started shooting" then no, it's not going to be found justifiable. If he reports that he heard "fuck da POLICE!" and a moment later sees the gun in hand, that's an entirely different situation.  I can't tell what he says other than "police". Neither can the PIO editing the video. Obviously the deputy heard something with greater detail than bodycam captured, and more than likely the deputy made a statement to an investigator..which will eventually come out.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:41:50 AM EDT
[#38]
#1   Don't answer the door for the police with a gun in your hand.

#2  Reasonable people do not answer the door for the police with a gun in their hands.   Even 911 Operator will tell you to put the weapon away in a safe place.

Ability, Opportunity, and Jeopardy.

The actor has the ability to cause serious bodily injury or death to the deputy.

The actor is in a position that can cause serious bodily injury or death to the responding deputy.

The actor has the ability to act before the deputy can react.

Officer Tatum BREAKS DOWN Roger Fortson Incident

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:42:24 AM EDT
[#39]

Legally justified is not the same as good. Plenty of shootings, by cops and armed citizens alike, have been decided as not rising to the level of a criminal charge...and yet still been entirely unnecessary and tragic losses of life.

Where things go off the rails (besides the general media-inflamed hatred for LE these days) is understanding the why of how things happen, or the legalities thereof. Much like how the legal definition of "brandishing" has been pointed out and argued repeatedly in this thread, the blunt truth is that if few cops have a deep and thorough knowledge of use of force laws, the overwhelming majority of the public/gun owners/GD have an almost non-existent knowledge of applicable statutes and case law. In the immortal words of Richard Feynmann, they're "not even wrong" because the fundamental concepts at play globally within the US criminal justice system are totally unknown to the people commenting on them.

Which is precisely why the most applicable takeaways from this: don't answer the goddamn door with a gun in your hand - is also the statement least willing to be understood and heard by the crowds here.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BourbonBeast:
I don't understand how some of the ARFcops are defending this. I really don't.

Do they think incidents like this are going to make their jobs easier? Get them the approval and funding they need? Get their profession back into a place of public trust and respect?

I hate to say it but maybe we need to keep indicting these cops on murder charges until the trigger happy ones wash out. I just don't see this problem being fixed as long as large swaths of the police forces in this country keep it up with this "us vs. them, I'll shoot and kill anyone to make sure I go home, and then I'll bend the law until it breaks to justify my actions" attitude.

Judging by the posters in this thread calling it a good shoot and even saying they'd do the same thing or the Airman deserved it for being armed, if I had to choose between a home invasion or one of you coming to my door, I know which one I'd pick. At least the home invader would go to jail if he shot me at my doorstep for no reason.

People don’t hate LE because of “general media”. It’s because they kill people standing in their own house over nothing, or mag dump over an acorn, and then hide behind case law and QI to get away with it.

If cops get special treatment, and have special laws to protect them, then they’re going to get special hatred when they abuse it over and over and over.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:52:47 AM EDT
[#40]

Many people here argued that it was lawful for the decedent in Farmington, NM to answer the door while holding his pistol at waist level pointing out at the officers who were knocking.

Oddly, none of those posters wanted to eat crow and admit they were wrong because their knowledge of the law was incomplete and faulty.

GD needs to spend less time worrying about guilty or not guilty, and a FUCKLOAD more time sitting through some basic classes on use of force laws.
View Quote

You mistake claims that it was legal for the man in NM to brandish his weapon for claims that it was unlawful for the police to shoot him.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:53:47 AM EDT
[#41]

I didn't make the accusations. The woman who told the apartment management to call 911 did so. If you can't distinguish between the words of a person in GD, and the actual reporting party of a call, why should anyone pay attention to what you're saying?

As far as what was said, I'm describing what's visible in the video. If the deputy's statement to investigators is "beats me, I just panicked when I saw the gun and started shooting" then no, it's not going to be found justifiable. If he reports that he heard "fuck da POLICE!" and a moment later sees the gun in hand, that's an entirely different situation.  I can't tell what he says other than "police". Neither can the PIO editing the video. Obviously the deputy heard something with greater detail than bodycam captured, and more than likely the deputy made a statement to an investigator..which will eventually come out.
View Quote

Again, the statement of a suspect in a homicide investigation shouldn’t carry much weight.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:55:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By stoner63a:
#1   Don't answer the door for the police with a gun in your hand.

#2  Reasonable people do not answer the door for the police with a gun in their hands.   Even 911 Operator will tell you to put the weapon away in a safe place.

Ability, Opportunity, and Jeopardy.

The actor has the ability to cause serious bodily injury or death to the deputy.

The actor is in a position that can cause serious bodily injury or death to the responding deputy.

The actor has the ability to act before the deputy can react.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umEzRcRwUsI
View Quote

You’ll have to forgive the public for not wanting the police to shoot everyone who the police think they can articulate a reason for shooting.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:50:57 AM EDT
[#43]
This was a scenario that was hammered on back in 2007 and 2008 when I went through tech school and then my duty station. Doing what the deputy did here was an automatic failure.

Which is probably why I didn't shoot 2 people that answered the door with a weapon in hand(kitchen knife and gun respectively), on 2 different DV calls, one of which was before I was even old enough to legally purchase a hand gun.

Step back and draw, command and call out, hands first. Makes the situation real clear if the person comes charging out the door or the weapon comes out first.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:24:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jason280] [#44]
I've watched the video below more than a few times....

The initial knock is @ 2:29, with no announcement...just a loud knocking.  Within roughly 7 seconds (by 2:36) the officer is completely out of a clear view from the peephole.  18 seconds later (2:54), there is inaudible dialogue that is reported as maybe containing the word "police", but I am not sure its been confirmed.  Regardless, within the time the initial knock is made (and before the 2nd and 3rd knocks), it is entirely plausible that Fortson has checked the peephole and sees no one outside the door, or at the very least, has no idea who the individual is.  Actual announcement of "Sheriff's Office" isn't made until the second knock at 3:01, 30 seconds after initial contact, with the 3rd and final knock @ 3:09.

Door is opened slowly by Fortson @ 3:15, clearly lowering his left hand, and the only instruction from the officer is "step back".  Within one second @ 3:16, the officer has drawn and begins firing.

Here's what is factual from the video.  The officer doesn't identify himself until the 2nd knock, 30 seconds after initial contact.  Fortson opens the door @ 3:15, roughly 45 seconds after initial contact.  Bodycam video shows no aggressive movements from Fortson, he didn't jerk the door open, and you can clearly see him lowering his left hand.  Within 2 seconds, the officer commands "step back" and begins shooting.  Fortson never exited the apartment, never yelled anything at the officer, didn't lunge, make any furtive movements, or do anything illegal under current Florida law.  The officer never attempted to move away from the supposed threat, stays in the door way, and begins shooting within 2 seconds.

What isn't factual from the video is we have no idea how Fortson interpreted the knocking, what he heard from the officer, or whether he understood it was in fact a legitimate LEO at his door.  We also have no idea what Fortson said while in the apartment, nor how the officer interpreted at that time what he heard (or even thought he heard).

This idea that Fortson was somehow brandishing displaying a handgun in any sort of aggressive matter is laughable given the information available at this time.  For all we know, he had no idea who he thought was at the door and certainly did not know their intentions.  What I see from the video is an immediate overreaction from an amped up deputy to a gentleman answering his door while holding a handgun.  That's it. I rarely have people coming to my house I am not expecting, and its even rarer to get knocks at my door.  When I do, I always answer with a way of protecting myself.

I don't believe for a second (based on the video) that this guy answered the door with a handgun as a challenge to the officer, had any intentions of shooting the officer, or intended on starting a gunfight.  This is a 23yr old Senior Airman with no criminal record I can find...and he certainly doesn't sound defiant or belligerent after being shot.  It simply looks like he was unsure who was at the door, and grabbed the gun just in case...unfortunately, "just in case" turned out to be an overreacting officer who just had to get it on the second he saw a firearm.

WATCH: Bodycam footage released in shooting of US Airman | LiveNOW from FOX
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:27:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jason280] [#45]
Anytime Ben Crump's name gets thrown into a situation I immediately think race-baiting, but its these kinds of cases where the Ben Crumps of the world are a necessary evil.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:49:46 AM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

Brought to you by the same people that recently changed the definition of a vaccine.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:29:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Anytime Ben Crump's name gets thrown into a situation I immediately think race-baiting, but its these kinds of cases where the Ben Crumps of the world are a necessary evil.
View Quote

I don't like Crump's shtick. However, he's negotiated like a half a billion dollars in government settlements, and the idiots on cable news love him.

Shining on a spotlight on a PD is often the only way to guarantee that things don't get swept under the carpet in a use of force investigation.

The Sheriff wasn't being responsive at all to the family until Crump did the rounds in the media.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:30:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: burkeva] [#48]

View All Quotes

EXACTLY.  These threads really bring out some of the best that GD has to offer.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:49:31 AM EDT
[#49]
GD has GD’d the fuck out of this as expected, but holy shit.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:03:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By exDefensorMilitas:
This was a scenario that was hammered on back in 2007 and 2008 when I went through tech school and then my duty station. Doing what the deputy did here was an automatic failure.

Which is probably why I didn't shoot 2 people that answered the door with a weapon in hand(kitchen knife and gun respectively), on 2 different DV calls, one of which was before I was even old enough to legally purchase a hand gun.

Step back and draw, command and call out, hands first. Makes the situation real clear if the person comes charging out the door or the weapon comes out first.
View Quote

Huh.  You didn't immediately kill them just because they had a weapon in their hand?  You must be the best of the best to pull that off!

Can't expect a reasonable officer to pull that off.
Page / 44
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top