Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 49
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:49:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mtnpatriot:

It doesn't appear to be as simple as that. From the article, it sounds as there wasn't an apt# provided. They actually state in the article, "Don't have anything further than a male and female; it's all fourth party information from the front desk at the leasing office,"

If that is the case, then why the fuck is dispatch putting it out before having the information??? The dispatcher has just as much culpability as the dipshit officer who didn't respond when the Airman asked "who is it", after the officer knocked on the door.  I didn't see if the officer busted into the apartment or if the airman opened the door.

The system is failed at multiple levels, but the moral decay is the underlying reason for stupid shit like this.

The dispatcher shouldn't have put it out without more information, or at least an apartment number.

The cop shouldn't have played super-secret agent/swat by not announcing himself as law enforcement after knocking on the door.

The airman shouldn't have opened the door (if he did) if someone knocks and doesn't announce themself.

What a waste, and if the cop did fuck up, I hope they fry his ass in the chair, but I know that most likely won't happen.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mtnpatriot:
Originally Posted By GaryM:
If only the officers knew how to read an address....

It doesn't appear to be as simple as that. From the article, it sounds as there wasn't an apt# provided. They actually state in the article, "Don't have anything further than a male and female; it's all fourth party information from the front desk at the leasing office,"

If that is the case, then why the fuck is dispatch putting it out before having the information??? The dispatcher has just as much culpability as the dipshit officer who didn't respond when the Airman asked "who is it", after the officer knocked on the door.  I didn't see if the officer busted into the apartment or if the airman opened the door.

The system is failed at multiple levels, but the moral decay is the underlying reason for stupid shit like this.

The dispatcher shouldn't have put it out without more information, or at least an apartment number.

The cop shouldn't have played super-secret agent/swat by not announcing himself as law enforcement after knocking on the door.

The airman shouldn't have opened the door (if he did) if someone knocks and doesn't announce themself.

What a waste, and if the cop did fuck up, I hope they fry his ass in the chair, but I know that most likely won't happen.

It’s not as much moral decay as it is a crisis of competency.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:57:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Those that are saying it's easy to Monday morning quarterback this situation.

In this situation, you're damn right it is. The police are 'supposed to be' in the representative employ of 'We the people' to uphold the law. The Constitution is either in effect, or it's not. They should not be allowed to shoot people just because they get surprised, or are scared by doing their job.  

Too many times it's 'shoot first ask questions later'. And then hide behind qualified immunity with no repercussions. Bodycams are showing the public what policing has become and the mentality of police, police management, and the courts and a LOT of the public don't like what they are seeing.  

The airman did not choose wisely when he opened the door with gun in hand, but he shouldn't have been killed for it.

This video has cemented in my mind that I'm never gonna open the door without 'KNOWING' what is on the other side.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:58:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Kubota3430:
Certainly need more info on the whole story.

Why come to the door with a gun?
Look out peephole see cop, put gun away, open door.

was cop told the wrong address? If so by the RP or the dispatcher?

I can understand the cop shooting him when he saw the gun.  This could just be a whole tragic chain of events.
View Quote

Really!!?? So, any person with a gun is an actionable threat? IIRC, Aurora CO PD did the same thing to a guy that had just shot a perp in the commission of a crime and had the fatal misfortune of having a gun in his hand when LE arrived. And the woman who was shot through a window of her home because a cop saw her with a gun inside the home.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:58:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Beginning to look like, if the police show up at your house unannounced, they're probably going to try to kill you.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:00:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Horrible incident all around.   This scenario plays out too often, similar to the welfare check ("I have not seen my neighbor in days, please come and check on him").

Things go sideways in a split second, when you force/introduce a LEO onto an unsuspecting innocent citizen in their home/domain.    The innocent citizen is understandably surprised and is not expecting Johnny Law at the door or even creeping through their hallway (calls on elderly well being checks), so of course they may arm themselves and react...it is their God given right.    But training on FATS etc etc will produce a bad situation.

The people that are the most at fault on the cases I have seen, are the citizens themselves who called 911.   99% of the time, it is with good intentions when neighbors or "loved ones" make a call to 911 to request a welfare check on unsuspecting person.   I have seen good people killed (deputies and citizens both) when a family member is hundreds of miles away and has called 911 to check on their aging-dementia parent.  

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:06:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Francisco_dAnconia:
Unless the DA sees a political advantage to throwing the cop under the bus, I expect that it will be ruled justified, but the city will pay out anyway.

It doesn't matter whether it's the cops or the Girl Scouts.  If you answer the door with a pistol visibly in your hand the knocker has the right to defend themselves.

Do you guys really believe this?  That every single Arfcommer is actually stupid enough to answer the door to someone announcing "Sherriff's Office! Open the door!" with a pistol visible in their hand?
View All Quotes
Unless the DA sees a political advantage to throwing the cop under the bus, I expect that it will be ruled justified, but the city will pay out anyway.

Originally Posted By Tarkan:
Literal video of a murder, and there are posters here licking boots. Fellow firearm owners. WOW.

It's either a fetish, a psychosis, or something else really, really fucked up.
It doesn't matter whether it's the cops or the Girl Scouts.  If you answer the door with a pistol visibly in your hand the knocker has the right to defend themselves.

Originally Posted By sentionaut:
Study this shoot fellas. It could have happened to any of us.
Originally Posted By TarzanT:
This.
Do you guys really believe this?  That every single Arfcommer is actually stupid enough to answer the door to someone announcing "Sherriff's Office! Open the door!" with a pistol visible in their hand?

"Defend themselves"? From what? I've answered the door with gun in hand. Good thing the cop was not a panic-stricken trigger-happy type, as I'm here to talk about it. I called because there was a disturbance at the drug house next door. I had the gun in hand next to my hip, pointing down. I opened the door, backed up and set the gun on a table. Cop never said anything or appeared concerned about the gun.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:12:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Pallas:

You are incorrect. You better get that through your head too, otherwise you may end up in prison or worse.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pallas:

You are incorrect. You better get that through your head too, otherwise you may end up in prison or worse.

Hey, we had guys saying that they would have shot the delivery guy that shot the attacking dog because "if he was on my property with a gun, I'd consider him a threat and shoot him." Good luck selling that to a prosecutor.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:15:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Body cam footage:
Police body cam video released in fatal police shooting of Florida man
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:15:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By josepha1:
Ben Crump?
View Quote

He's a pro level Race Pimp and anti white bigot

But I'll allow it this time and I pray he hangs the cocksuckers who killed the Airman
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:16:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By BoomerShooter:
Ooof
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:18:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By miseses:

> You can have the gun all you want just keep it concealed or out of sight when you open the door.

OK lets go by those rules.  I see the cop open carrying a gun and is touching it when I stupidly open my door.  Your rules say that's a green light?  

What's really needed is some uniformity here.  The police should have the same ROE for lethal force as the rest of civilians.  If the cop can draw his gun in mere anticipation of a threat so should I. If the cop can shoot because he says he fears for his life so should I.  If a cop can shoot a man crawling on his hands and knees while crying and being made to play a confusing game of simon says but it turns out simon didn't say -- so should I.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By miseses:
Originally Posted By Jason280:
If you answer the door with a pistol visibly in your hand the knocker has the right to defend themselves.
Against what, exactly?
Gee, I dunno ... maybe the dude brandishing a weapon?

Originally Posted By gpoman:
Even in a home invasion?
WTF does that have to do with this scenario?

Originally Posted By bunchofmidgets:
Tell me why an American cannot answer the door with a firearm...you're on my property bub.

I know land ownership isn't a thing with these local govt employees...but just because they've missed out on the train doesn't mean they get to act like they own OUR property that has been bought and paid for.
RKBA does not cover brandishing.  You can have the gun all you want just keep it concealed or out of sight when you open the door.  Or don't open the door.  If you choose the stupid option instead then expect the knocker to interpret you as the threat.

It has nothing to do with "local govt employees acting like they own your property."  Like I said initially cops or Girl Scouts -- it doesn't matter.  (I thought govt employees were overpaid union-protected slackers.  Shouldn't they be the ones owning property?)

> You can have the gun all you want just keep it concealed or out of sight when you open the door.

OK lets go by those rules.  I see the cop open carrying a gun and is touching it when I stupidly open my door.  Your rules say that's a green light?  

What's really needed is some uniformity here.  The police should have the same ROE for lethal force as the rest of civilians.  If the cop can draw his gun in mere anticipation of a threat so should I. If the cop can shoot because he says he fears for his life so should I.  If a cop can shoot a man crawling on his hands and knees while crying and being made to play a confusing game of simon says but it turns out simon didn't say -- so should I.

I was thinking the same thing. Who is threatening who at that point?

+1 on the rest of the post.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:55:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By M4GunFighter:

While I understand your point, I would argue that approaching an officer with a firearm in hand on a domestic disturbance call could reasonably be called “threatening”.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By haveTwo:

Killing a resident who displayed no threatening actions seems like the logical and sane thing to do then for a "reasonable officer."

While I understand your point, I would argue that approaching an officer with a firearm in hand on a domestic disturbance call could reasonably be called “threatening”.

Unfortunately, the resident probably had no idea the cop was there on a disturbance call. Also, if the resident had been in the back part of the apartment, there's a pretty good chance he only heard the knocking and never the announcement, the echo of the banging is going to be much louder than him talking through the door.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:15:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Deepsouth:

He just straight shot a BLACK man holding a gun. In a county where less than 10% are black

They better not bring in outside rioters.

This happened just a mile or two from where I live, it's the talk of the town, this wasn't  just a guy, he was gunner Spc Ops, AC-130 Ghostrider Sq, Hurlburt field.

yes, I'm retired AF, know lots of them, it's small town, really, my neighbors are all Army Rangers, mostly black and Hispanic, everyone I talked to said the cops fucked up.

Just a sad, tragic thing to have happen.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Deepsouth:
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:He just straight shot a non-threatening man.

He just straight shot a BLACK man holding a gun. In a county where less than 10% are black

They better not bring in outside rioters.

This happened just a mile or two from where I live, it's the talk of the town, this wasn't  just a guy, he was gunner Spc Ops, AC-130 Ghostrider Sq, Hurlburt field.

yes, I'm retired AF, know lots of them, it's small town, really, my neighbors are all Army Rangers, mostly black and Hispanic, everyone I talked to said the cops fucked up.

Just a sad, tragic thing to have happen.

I specifically avoided putting the Airman’s race in because it doesn’t matter.  Although we do know how that will be played.  

That officer took a steaming shit on a silver platter and some folks want us to believe it’s steak tartare.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:17:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By pale_pony:

But I'll allow it this time and I pray he hangs the cocksuckers who killed the Airman
View Quote

Yep, 'cop sees black man with a gun' .... bang bang bang bang bang bang

That's all you need to need to know the direction this will go

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:17:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Holding isn't the same as brandishing, and it seems clear you don't understand the distinction.
View All Quotes

Holding isn't the same as brandishing, and it seems clear you don't understand the distinction.

Brandishing

Sure doesn't look like brandishing to me...  Hell, you can see through the trigger guard, so I'm guessing his finger was off the trigger.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:25:07 AM EDT
[#16]

This is the first thing that you and I have agreed on. The county will be paying out.

You’re taking a still picture from an event that lasted less than what, a second? Maybe two seconds at the most? And in that time you’re expecting the officer to register that the subjects free hand is facing him, though I have zero idea what that means, you seem to feel that this is a position of supplication, though that’s not true at all.   And you expect him to not think this guy is a threat because his weapon is currently pointed down? Have you ever heard that action is faster than reaction?
View Quote

Jesus Fucking Christ!
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:25:11 AM EDT
[#17]
OCSO has it out for the local military guys too, you look the wrong way at them in that area and they will make shit up to stop you.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:29:03 AM EDT
[#18]

RKBA does not cover brandishing.  You can have the gun all you want just keep it concealed or out of sight when you open the door.  Or don't open the door.  If you choose the stupid option instead then expect the knocker to interpret you as the threat.

It has nothing to do with "local govt employees acting like they own your property."  Like I said initially cops or Girl Scouts -- it doesn't matter.  (I thought govt employees were overpaid union-protected slackers.  Shouldn't they be the ones owning property?)
View All Quotes
If you answer the door with a pistol visibly in your hand the knocker has the right to defend themselves.
Against what, exactly?

Even in a home invasion?

Tell me why an American cannot answer the door with a firearm...you're on my property bub.

I know land ownership isn't a thing with these local govt employees...but just because they've missed out on the train doesn't mean they get to act like they own OUR property that has been bought and paid for.

Brandishing? I don’t think you know the definition of brandish.

Definition: wave or flourish (something, especially a weapon) as a threat or in anger or excitement.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:40:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Jackslack:

Yes the officer did. He had the report of a woman "possibly" in danger by dispatch. Cops aren't clairvoyant. They only know what they know until they know MORE.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jackslack:
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

He had no probable cause or reasonable suspicion at the time.

Yes the officer did. He had the report of a woman "possibly" in danger by dispatch. Cops aren't clairvoyant. They only know what they know until they know MORE.

To use deadly force, he would have had to have:

probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a threat of serious physical harm,
either to the officer or to others” or “that he has committed a crime involving the infliction
or threatened infliction of serious physical harm;” (2) reasonably believes that the use of
deadly force was necessary to prevent escape; and (3) has given some warning about the
possible use of deadly force, if feasible.

(TN v. Garner, quoted by the 11th circuit)

In cases following Garner in the Eleventh Circuit, the court found that the “mere presence of a
gun or other weapon is not enough to warrant the exercise of deadly force and shield an officer
from suit;” however, when a suspect’s gun is “available for ready use” — even when the suspect
has not “drawn his gun” — an officer is “not required to wait and hope for the best.” In addition,
the court reiterated that Garner does not require an officer to always provide a warning before
using deadly force but, instead, only “if feasible.”

Here, the cop fired immediately upon seeing the pistol, in his right hand, pointed downwards. My view of the footage does not show it being raised at all prior to shots being fired. Instead, the man's left hand raises up just before shots are fired.

Thus to comply with clearly established 11th circuit case law, to justify deadly force, the officer will have to articulate why it wasn't feasible to give a warning before immediately firing.

It should have gone like this: drop the weapon, then shoot if he doesn't, or attempts to raise it. Plenty of shootings go just like that. Or, IMO of course, there would need to be some additional facts. Here the officer was responding to a Karen call that didn't even allege a crime occurred. A third party heard people arguing - that's it. Nobody from that apartment asked for help. There may have been some reasonable suspicion. However, that's irrelevant, because without a warrant, the only options available to the officer were:

1. a consensual knock and talk (which wasn't happening b/c he was pounding on the door and ordering it to be opened); or
2. have probable cause to believe that an emergency/exigency is occurring inside (which he didn't b/c the Karen call provided little information, none of which alleged anyone was in immediate danger - but I suppose that's the issue that's going to be investigated/litigated and perhaps decided by a jury ultimately).

Freedom is scary. If you don't want to confront people who may be armed, don't knock on their fucking door at the request of a Karen.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:56:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Poor judgement on both sides here but ultimately it appears as a bad shoot
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:10:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Cop should be in prison, RFN.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:14:44 AM EDT
[#22]
So it was the apartment the reporting person told the police domestic violence was possibly occurring.

Deputy knocked and announced sheriffs office twice.

Door gets opened with ma with a gun held down at his side.

Voices inside are heard mentioning the police but aren't of great audio quality.

Deputy shoots man with gun in hand.

Am I missing something?

This will be deemed an objectively reasonable use of force.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:17:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Goback:

The difference may not being geographically but experience. I work in one of the countries most violent city.
View Quote

Well this part of the country isn’t one of the most violent cities though. I’d think working in LA and working in NW Florida you’d would have slightly difference mindset.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:18:32 AM EDT
[#24]

The reporting party claimed she heard two people arguing and a slap. And yet, there was only one person present. She’s either mistaken or lying.
View Quote

One thing that occurred to me is the airman lived at the very end of that walkway on the top floor.  Karen would have to live next door to hear anything.  That’s not a location one just “walks by” frequently.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:19:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AA717driver] [#25]
What would the world say if we crashed airplanes with the same frequency as cops enter the wrong house/address or a bad shoot?

We have hundreds of millions of dollars of potential liability as do they. Now, we can kill a whole lot more people at one time with our negligence but, it’s the same concept.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:27:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TGE] [#26]
Originally Posted By WesJanson:

I'm not creating an accusation, I'm relaying what his neighbor reported to the deputy on bodycam.

"Two weeks ago I was walking by their apartment basically on this side, and I was hearing someone yell "shut the fuck up like you stupid b word and all this stuff ,and I heard a slap right after."

The bodycam at 16:35:41 shows a caption of inaudible - police - inaudible. The airman definitively made a verbal statement inside his apartment, involving the word "police". Within a second the deputy begins pounding on the door again, and loudly demanding he open the door. The deputy's tone and behavior dramatically shift right after those inaudible statements that contain the word "police". Hence why it appears probable that something in them triggered a heightened response, and it wasn't "oh teh noes, thy local constabulatory is beckoning at my doorstep for tea".

Holding a gun in your hand in a visible manner is indeed "flashing" it. If I'm answering the door armed, I keep my weapon behind my leg or the door. The airman had no legal duty to keep it concealed, but made zero effect to keep it concealed either.

Don't flash guns at the front door.

Legally, it's going to be highly relevant what the deputy reported hearing right before the door opened. Bodycam microphones don't capture everything the human ear does, and the human mind frequently misinterprets statements and observations as well. What the deputy heard or believed he heard will play a major role in what occurs next.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TGE:
Typical high quality post.  1) Accuses airman of beating his g/f 2) claims airman said something to provoke the cop with 0 evidence and 3) talks about "flashing" the piece, as if dude was doing anything besides holding it loosely at his side.

Good stuff, and so unpredictable!

I'm not creating an accusation, I'm relaying what his neighbor reported to the deputy on bodycam.

"Two weeks ago I was walking by their apartment basically on this side, and I was hearing someone yell "shut the fuck up like you stupid b word and all this stuff ,and I heard a slap right after."

The bodycam at 16:35:41 shows a caption of inaudible - police - inaudible. The airman definitively made a verbal statement inside his apartment, involving the word "police". Within a second the deputy begins pounding on the door again, and loudly demanding he open the door. The deputy's tone and behavior dramatically shift right after those inaudible statements that contain the word "police". Hence why it appears probable that something in them triggered a heightened response, and it wasn't "oh teh noes, thy local constabulatory is beckoning at my doorstep for tea".

Holding a gun in your hand in a visible manner is indeed "flashing" it. If I'm answering the door armed, I keep my weapon behind my leg or the door. The airman had no legal duty to keep it concealed, but made zero effect to keep it concealed either.

Legally, it's going to be highly relevant what the deputy reported hearing right before the door opened. Bodycam microphones don't capture everything the human ear does, and the human mind frequently misinterprets statements and observations as well. What the deputy heard or believed he heard will play a major role in what occurs next.

Sure, sure. Summary: disparage victim with accusations of wife-beating to shift blame onto him, fabricate a verbal threat to fit what you hope happened and thus remove even more responsibility from the killer, then declare that anyone who ever holds a firearm in a casual manner inside their own home is "flashing" their piece because that sounds scarier than saying the victim was "holding it at his side in an unthreatening manner".

Like I said, very unpredictable
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:27:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By BlackRifleJihad:

Well this part of the country isn’t one of the most violent cities though. I’d think working in LA and working in NW Florida you’d would have slightly difference mindset.

View Quote

That is why I brought it up.  People have to understand their life experience is not the same as someone else.  Unless you’ve been in those situations on a daily basis you don’t really understand them.

No one on this site knows that Deputies work experience.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Justice23:
So it was the apartment the reporting person told the police domestic violence was possibly occurring.

Voices inside are heard mentioning the police but aren't of great audio quality.

Am I missing something?

View Quote

It is a bad shoot.  However, I have zero faith that the officer will get convicted.  I do have 100% faith that County taxpayers will be writing a big check
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:30:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Some posts in this thread make it easy to see why increasing numbers of contributing members of society distrust the police. My middle class boomer parents have spent my entire life telling me to trust the police. Now? My dad forwarded me the same bodycam video from this thread last night. COC would prevent me from repeating the message he attached to it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:31:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By TGE:
Sure, sure. Summary: disparage victim with accusations of wife-beating to shift blame onto him, fabricate a verbal threat to fit what you hope happened and thus remove even more responsibility from the killer, then declare that anyone who ever holds a firearm in a casual manner inside their own home is "flashing" their piece because that sounds scarier than saying the victim was "holding it at his side in an u threatening manner".

Like I said, very unpredictable
View Quote

These always go the same way.

Time is a flat circle.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#31]

Correct, but the police did not hear a disturbance.
View All Quotes

Correct, but the police did not hear a disturbance.

It seems clear you guys don't understand the need for testilying creative writing in police work.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:38:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fargo007] [#32]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By josepha1:
Ben Crump?

I live in a neighboring county.

The appearance of Crump in this is needless, and totally poisons the issue for me.

That said, this was not a justifiable use of deadly force to me. I don't believe however that they can pierce immunity here and get a criminal conviction for anything except manslaughter.

The only way this stops is if it hurts them in the pocketbook.

If I was on the jury (civil) I would award the family three times what the annual budget of the Sheriff's office is.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Like I said…keep jerking off to pictures of  Eric Estrada in his chips uniform, the deputy is not going to prison for ass raping. Although tragic, the dude should not have answered his door knowing it was Jonny law and  drew on him

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:42:54 AM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes
Against what, exactly?

Even in a home invasion?

Holy wtf

By your standard you could shoot every cop carrying a gun owb because they're "brandishing". In fact, I could go door to door through your neighborhood and waste everyone who answers the door with a gun, knife, or any other "threatening" object in their hand and it'd be self-defense in your world

If this victim had knocked on the cops door one night, then shot the cop because he answered the door holding his duty gun would you be in here saying good shoot, the cop shouldn't have been brandishing hurr hurr? Lol it's utter madness in these threads.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:43:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By TAG_Match:

One thing that occurred to me is the airman lived at the very end of that walkway on the top floor.  Karen would have to live next door to hear anything.  That’s not a location one just “walks by” frequently.
View Quote

It's unclear to me whether the "slap" was heard by the manager or reported to the manager. I think it was the latter.
What was made clear to me and to the deputy was the alleged slap happened two weeks ago, and obviously wasn't considered worthy of a phone call when it supposedly happened.

Just like Andrew Finch, somebody got shot to death for answering the door for LE. The Finch killing was 2-3x as bad as this, two cops on the porch conversing with an unarmed and cooperating resident while a murdering POS shoots the resident from across the street. And yet, Justin totally beat the rapp for that murder.

Unlike Andrew Finch and like John Crawford, the person who sic'd the cops on Rodger Fortson won't be in trouble with the law over it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:44:46 AM EDT
[#36]

Am I missing something?

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:45:47 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

Reasonable officers will shoot a black man standing in his house holding a gun in a non-threatening manner.

Man, y'all are trying really hard to get new laws limiting your authority.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:48:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By LawyerUp:

To use deadly force, he would have had to have:

(TN v. Garner, quoted by the 11th circuit)

In cases following Garner in the Eleventh Circuit, the court found that the “mere presence of a
gun or other weapon is not enough to warrant the exercise of deadly force and shield an officer
from suit;” however, when a suspect’s gun is “available for ready use” — even when the suspect
has not “drawn his gun” — an officer is “not required to wait and hope for the best.” In addition,
the court reiterated that Garner does not require an officer to always provide a warning before
using deadly force but, instead, only “if feasible.”

Here, the cop fired immediately upon seeing the pistol, in his right hand, pointed downwards. My view of the footage does not show it being raised at all prior to shots being fired. Instead, the man's left hand raises up just before shots are fired.

Thus to comply with clearly established 11th circuit case law, to justify deadly force, the officer will have to articulate why it wasn't feasible to give a warning before immediately firing.

It should have gone like this: drop the weapon, then shoot if he doesn't, or attempts to raise it. Plenty of shootings go just like that. Or, IMO of course, there would need to be some additional facts. Here the officer was responding to a Karen call that didn't even allege a crime occurred. A third party heard people arguing - that's it. Nobody from that apartment asked for help. There may have been some reasonable suspicion. However, that's irrelevant, because without a warrant, the only options available to the officer were:

1. a consensual knock and talk (which wasn't happening b/c he was pounding on the door and ordering it to be opened); or
2. have probable cause to believe that an emergency/exigency is occurring inside (which he didn't b/c the Karen call provided little information, none of which alleged anyone was in immediate danger - but I suppose that's the issue that's going to be investigated/litigated and perhaps decided by a jury ultimately).

Freedom is scary. If you don't want to confront people who may be armed, don't knock on their fucking door at the request of a Karen.
View Quote

Couldn't the officer also assert self-defense to justify the use of force?  The department's initial press release also said the officer shot in self-defense.

That said, I can't see it being lawful to shoot someone because they answered the door holding a weapon in a non-threatening manner.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By morglan:
Beginning to look like, if the police show up at your house unannounced, they're probably going to try to kill you.
View Quote

A new phone in my back pocket was once the source of a series of dead line 9-1-1 calls. (with the keyboard locked it would ignore all input except the 9. After registering a 9, it would ignore everything except a 1...)

Deputy friendly came to my house unannounced, we chatted a bit, and he left. IIRC he knocked normally, not a "cop knock" as we saw here. I do recall he didn't announce or say anything until I opened the door. Since he was standing placidly on the  porch with his sidearm holstered, I opened the door.
I'm not sure I'd do that today.
No idea what he would have done if somebody had said "I just killed my daughter and I'm going to start shooting neighbors in ten minutes", but I hope it wouldn't have merited airing his BWC before a nationwide audience while Ben Crump rubs his greedy palms together.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:50:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Thoughts on the video:

Crump lied, as usual. No one kicked a door down and made entry.

The apartment was the correct one described by the reporting party. Who was describing an act of domestic battery (2 weeks prior), and another ongoing disturbance, not a noise complaint.  Neighbors complaining about fighting is how the vast majority of domestics get reported, and arrested on. This is a normal daily call anywhere in the country. Airman probably *was* beating his girlfriend, not that she'll ever admit to it now except *maybe* if called to the stand and cross examined by the deputy's defense counsel.

Announcements were indeed given repeatedly. The use of "OPEN THE DOOR" is a bad choice of words since the resident can legally disregard it at will.

Something was said by the airman that the deputy reacts to, though it's inaudible on camera. The deputy's tone and alertness go up considerably after that, leading me to suspect that the airman did in fact say something indicating hostility of some kind.

Airman never points the pistol, and isn't given enough time to comply before getting shot. Officers are not legally required to be shot first before returning fire. That said, would a reasonable officer knocking on a door react with gunfire to someone holding a gun in hand by their side? It's happened a number of times over the years, and different courts have ruled in various ways on these cases.

There's a very subtle and important thing about Florida that 90% of GD isn't going to realize, which likely plays a role in this shooting. In the vast, overwhelming majority of the country, open carry is legal and seen on a relatively frequent basis. In FL open carry is banned to such an effectively thorough degree that most cops will rarely if *ever* encounter a non-threat with a pistol in their hand. It leads to a psychological triggering element that seeing a gun is a cause for drawing and threatening lethal force. Cops in FL who carry off duty carry concealed - cops in other states are way more likely to open carry off duty. It overall biases the threat decision reactions of officers in FL, and that likely is part of what caused him to shoot.

Overall, the use of force is likely to be ruled unjustified by IA, though there's a chance it's held as justifiable. I wouldn't be surprised if a grand jury is convened to decide on criminal charges. And he may well be no-billed because this has happened before a number of times over the years across the country. Particularly if the deputy's statement indicated he heard something like "fuck the police" from inside. Civilly it's hard to say where this one goes, though if Crump is involved the agency may just try to settle for a million or two and move on.

As I've said over and over in these threads...don't ever answer the door with a weapon visible. Period. Check the peephole, have a weapon in hand and out of sight, and don't go flashing it openly in front of cops. I was right about the Farmington case despite the outcries from the usual suspects, and I guarantee it will continue to happen in years to come. Just because something is lawful doesn't mean it won't keep you from becoming a casualty.
View Quote

Open carry is legal in the state of FL on your property & in your home. If LE is not aware of this, they need to be trained again.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:56:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By XNARC:
Like I said…keep jerking off to pictures of  Eric Estrada in his chips uniform, the deputy is not going to prison for ass raping. Although tragic, the dude should not have answered his door knowing it was Jonny law and  drew on him

View Quote

He didn't know Johnny Law was going to draw on him until a split second before the first bullet hit him.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:57:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Today I found out that a citizen having a gun in one’s hand is considered “Brandishing” by the police regardless of the legal and/or dictionary definition.  Since enough police accept the police definition of brandishing over the legal definition and/or common definition, it’s a reasonable and justified killing of a citizen.  The police definition is for police use ONLY.  Citizens must use the legal and/or common definition.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program of why police should be rewarded for these type shootings with more money and respect (read compliance) from the taxpayers.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:01:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SmilingBandit] [#43]
Originally Posted By TAG_Match:
Today I found out that a citizen having a gun in one’s hand is considered “Brandishing” by the police regardless of the legal and/or dictionary definition.  Since enough police accept the police definition of brandishing over the legal definition and/or common definition, it’s a reasonable and justified killing of a citizen.  The police definition is for police use ONLY.  Citizens must use the legal and/or common definition.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program of why police should be rewarded for these type shootings with more money and respect (read compliance) from the taxpayers.
View Quote

Police expect aboslute perfection from the public but when they have an incident there's OODA loop, autitory exclusion, tunnel vision and all sorts of other physiological effects that can give them a pass.

Also, if you want to see cops torture a word just watch how they use "furtive".
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:03:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lug1] [#44]
Unreal the mental gymnastics going on to defend something that is absolutely outrageous.  And it's the typical gymnasts doing it.  

These seem to be dangerous people, take note of their message.  They are on the loose and they walk amongst us free.

These are the very people in society that scare me to be roaming free.  They appear to justify murder at the front door, flippantly.

If you cannot see the problem here, you are probably not fit to serve in any capacity.

ETA: The dude that murdered the airman put us in the position where Crump has the moral high ground on this, think about that.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:04:54 AM EDT
[#45]

I’m totally with you on that. I think I’ve been pretty clear on that. This is a fucked up situation. I’m simply saying that this one isn’t as cut and dry as some people are making it out to be. I honestly don’t know if I’d have reacted differently if I were in his place. I’ve been in situations where I almost fired and didn’t and it turned out to be a really good thing, but I could have just as easily pulled the trigger, something just stopped me.  I just don’t know on this one. Putting myself in his position, man I just don’t know. I can guarantee you this. He’s second guessing his whole life right now. He didn’t go out on patrol that day just hoping he was going to get to dump somebody.
View Quote

Coming from that department he may be saying "I showed that guy who I am!" also.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Lug1:

View All Quotes

Am I missing something?

Make sure your inhaler is close by. We don't want you to start hyperventilating again.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:08:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lug1] [#47]
Make sure your inhaler is close by. We don't want you to start hyperventilating again.
View All Quotes

Am I missing something?

You are absolutely scary with your take on things.  What color is your sky?

ETA: I mean I never went and cried and tried to get you banned days and weeks later.  LOL, you know the truth.  SO DO I.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:10:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Creatyre:
I know GD won't like it, but it mentions he was on a video chat.

Was he on the phone with someone and they were screaming at each other which included threats and it was perceived by the officers that there were two people inside of the apartment and they believed that someone was in danger? They make entry, gun vs gun, and shots fired.

My hesitation is crump coupled with an "I can't breathe."

Go ahead, pile on me.
View Quote

Did they murder an innocent man?  If YES,  do any other details really matter?
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:10:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thesquidliest] [#49]

It's funny, if we were watching a video of the officer being blasted through the door, all you arm chair commandos would be saying "dumb fuck never should've stood in front of the door".

I always watch these videos and I can assure you when I do I am MUCH harder on the officers than you are. The difference is, I do it with a lot more knowledge than you.  I often watch them and think, "oh man, that's fucked up, he really screwed the pooch". Or sometimes I Watch videos where people are screaming for the officers head and I can see that he didn't do anything wrong. Unfortunately when people like you watch them it's like a college kid protesting for Palestine, all emotion no facts.

In this case I really feel for the victim, because in all appearances he didn't do anything wrong. But I can also tell you, in that video, that officer didn't do anything wrong. It's a fucked up situation and an all around tragedy. The county is going to pay out big time. I feel for that family that lost a loved one, but I also feel for that officer who has to live with what happened. He had a split second to make what he truly believed was a life or death decision and he has to live with his choice. Sometimes really bad things happen and this is one of those cases..
View Quote
It's easy to say "oh well, sorry for your luck" from behind the safety of a nearly impregnable legal protective shield backed up by the full weight of the state to protect you from mistakes that us mere mortals would be keelhauled for.

And "living with the thought of it" is not quite the same as being dead without any thoughts.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:11:24 AM EDT
[#50]

I enjoy the analogy with this case and others….‘the mere presence of a firearm’ uh, the dude unholstered and drew on the deputy…..in that situation he didn’t need to identify himself or issue warning

Absolutely nothing wrong with carrying a gun, but if you pull it on a cop you’re going to meet your maker…what’s so hard to understand?
Page / 49
Top Top