Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:10:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I have 6 credit cards and carry 1. The rest are on file at places that get the max reward for that card. I have them set to autopay and have transaction alerts enabled so they’re easy to manage and all I do is collect my rewards.

If you have a backup card you want to keep active but don’t use just set up a monthly donation to St Jude and do autopay on it. As long as you set transaction alerts it’s no issue having autopay on a card like that.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:20:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sq40:
The credit system is designed to keep people using it, and then game them.

Get two credit cards.  Buy a coffee or burger on them once a month and pay it off.  That will keep the credit score going.
View Quote

Correct.  Pay it off after the credit card reporting period ends and you actually have a payment to make.  Also set up automatic payment of your credit card bill.     I am waiting for one card to report a small purchase I made a few weeks ago to pay it off.

Update:  That credit card has reported the purchase(s), I had a bill to pay and I just paid it off.   Easy peasey.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:21:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Credit cards are great, if you pay them off each month.

Cash reward points, convenience, portability.  

Cash has it own series of benefits, and pitfalls.

If you can’t mange money, you should avoid a CC.

18Z50
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:22:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Too-Tall] [#4]
Here's another take;

I'm not American. In our system, creditcards are something you use only on holiday, as a backup, and *not* paying them is not even an option, you have to. It's automatic. Also Cashback or rewards don't exist. Everything gets paid using debit cards.

(note I'm not saying one system or way of doing things is better or worse, it's just different)

So we are assigned a TDY of 5 years in the USA. We have to:

-Open a bank account
-Rent a house
-Get all the utilities (gas, water, electricity, internet)
-Get renters insurance
-Buy a car
-Insure the car
-Get a cellphone plan

I cannot begin to explain how difficult it is to get anything done. We tell every new arrival "pick ONE thing, and try to get ONE thing done on a full day of 8 hours. If you get one thing done, that's great. Don't plan for two things, it just won't happen".

How many times I ended up explaining to someone (in person or on the phone): I'm NOT American. No credit cards, no credit history, no SSN. Foreign military personnel on a TDY in the US, on a diplo visum.

"oh yes I understand no problem, we can help you with that, I gotcha, let me just get your info"

-30 minutes of spelling out your entire history, all kinds of info-

"oh the computer sais no, we can't insure you/provide services, because you don't have a SSN", or "because you don't have a credit history"

I TOLD YOU ALL THIS AT THE BEGINNING

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:23:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: S58DRIVER] [#5]
OP, you have the typical Poors mentality.  I spend roughly $8k per month on credit cards. Its dining out, travel, partying, fuel, generally use my Apple card. I get 2 % off using Apple pay then that 2% is transferred into a 3% Apple savings acct. The balance is paid off monthly.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:26:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BayEagle] [#6]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:28:26 AM EDT
[#7]
It’s good to be at a point in life that I have no idea what my credit rating is and couldn’t care less.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:29:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#8]
811.  No debt. (Ya'll made me look)
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:37:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#9]
Originally Posted By TheJMan1:
Paid off our house 4 years ago.  I use a credit card with a good rewards program to pay for basic expenses and pay it off each month.   Credit score is 830.
View Quote

This.  I use a cash back card often enough even though I am 87% cash.  Gas and groceries on the card.  Put the cash back right into the bill payoff when it builds up.  Basically you are getting some of that 3% that your CC skims from the merchant on your purchases.  It’s not big but it’s something to get
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:44:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By sq40:
The credit system is designed to keep people using it, and then game them.

Get two credit cards.  Buy a coffee or burger on them once a month and pay it off.  That will keep the credit score going.
View Quote

This you could find a cashback card and use it for like only gas and payoff each month keeps your debit card safe and makes it look good for credit
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I pay everything with my credit card, I earn 1-3% cash back on every purchase so I look at it as a coupon. Not a very good coupon but whatever. I use the cash back to buy Christmas and birthday gifts. I pay the card off every month and there's no annual fee. The card is in my name and my husband is on my account (he does the same thing-except he buys pickup parts with his cash back) His credit score is better than mine. Go figure? I think in someways it's a gimmick (credit scores) and in other ways it's a way retail can take advantage of the disadvantaged.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:54:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ED_P:
I froze my accounts with all 3 agencies to help fend off fake new credit cards and I get an email at least once a month before I pay off my credit card as they run their search and find I now have  $ X in debt (even though I pay it off in the same month) and this makes my credit score go down until  I mail the monthly check to the CC company.
View Quote

Smart man

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:28:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Andr0id] [#13]
Originally Posted By jwnc:

840 checking in!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jwnc:

840 checking in!!

Kudos! Your score is too high for an improvement plan.

I froze my accounts with all 3 agencies to help fend off fake new credit cards and I get an email at least once a month before I pay off my credit card as they run their search and find I now have  $ X in debt (even though I pay it off in the same month) and this makes my credit score go down until  I mail the monthly check to the CC company.

This happens even without the freeze. After my Amex statement posts, my FICO goes down 2 points, then once the payment is credited a few weeks later, it goes back up.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:41:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I enjoy my 1500-2000 dollars a year the CC companies pay me to use  cards. Everything I can use it for I do and its paid off every month. So 0 cost to me and free money to boot.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:45:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#15]
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:
I don’t use a lot of credit-I got in trouble with credit cards when I was young and haven’t used one since 1997. I pay my bills and keep my nose clean, this was a problem when I bought my house in 2013 becuase the mortgage guy was like “for all we know you were in prison because you have no recent credit history…” I was able to buy the house using bill payment history, albeit at a higher rate and the didn’t let me put the whole 20% I had on hand down to avoid paying points on the mortgage.

Fast forward to today, I have one credit card that I have never used and keeps getting shut off, and I have had one truck loan paid off, one motorcycle loan paid off, and one current motorcycle loan I owe $4k on and can afford to just pay off since I bought the house.

Well, I paid the house off 2 weeks ago…. I have already gotten two warning emails from Experian and Equifax telling me that my credit score has dropped…

These motherfuckers really want to keep a guy on the hook and paying. I’m so glad to be off of that hamster wheel.

Never again.
View Quote

I agree, credit scores and what gives you a good score in the eyes of a bank / lender, is GENERALLY the total opposite of what actual good money management skills look like.  That score shows the likelihood the bank can make a pile of cash on you paying your loans out the full length, for maximum interest. If you pay off every loan within a few months of getting it, your score looks worse, than taking 60 months, having 8 loans running at once gives a better score than only 1 loan at once, with a big savings account and paying off a $500k house , or $10k credit card , or $30k car loan causes your score to drop.

Having a paid off house , car, and credit card you never use looks terrible credit score wise, but refinancing your house every year to get $5k in cash and paying it off every year, running up card charges, etc and keeping a balance for years with monthly payments looks GREAT !

It’s based on bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:51:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By JKH62:
When I paid my house off my score dropped 50~60 points.
View Quote

Same for me back in 2019 when I sold my place.  Paid off the house, the car, and some credit cards, then moved into a rental for a while.  It didn't make any difference though 8 months later when I bought my current house.  3.125% rate.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:53:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HDLS] [#17]
Are you okay?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:54:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: beardog30] [#18]
Credit scores don’t look at your ability to manage debt holistically…they only look at how you manage debt…while in debt.

OP…why not ask for a manual underwriting?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:56:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Waldo:
I don't have a mortgage on either home. I've found that just using a cash back credit card for everyday stuff like gas, groceries and paying it in full every month is enough to keep my credit score up.

You're probably getting dinged for not having a credit line or a small limit on your card.  Credit utilization is a thing. A card you don't use much with a $20K limit is better than a card with a $1K limit.
View Quote

Leave reality out of this. We're raging against the machine here.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:56:36 AM EDT
[#20]
At 18yo I opened a 500$ credit limit card that I just used for gas in college. Always paid it off, now decades later have an amazing credit score....not sure how it's that hard for people to do outside of self control
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Creatyre:
I don't understand the fear that some have about using a credit card for every day payments. Just keep it reasonable and pay it off every month.

Now I have an 820 credit score and the only debt I have is my mortgage.
View Quote

They’re afraid they don’t have the discipline to use it like that.  If you ARE, you are stupid not to.  Free money for the taking.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:03:34 PM EDT
[#22]
We use our 2 cards for everything, pay them off every month, have no debt at all now, and our score is 830ish.

I don’t remember if it dipped after paying off the house mortgage, but if it did, it bounced back pretty quickly.

I don’t foresee ever taking out another loan, for anything.

I’m too old for that.

Young people: never miss a loan payment, ever. It takes years for that to fall off your record.

Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:04:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Credit is frustrating. At the beginning if the year, I paid off my student loans, paid off my truck before trading in, and then opened a new FMC account for a month to get a financing credit before paying that one off too (three closed accounts in about 4 mo).

My credit has dropped over 30 points. Blows my mind to the point that I won't even look anymore.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Too-Tall:
Here's another take;

I'm not American. In our system, creditcards are something you use only on holiday, as a backup, and *not* paying them is not even an option, you have to. It's automatic. Also Cashback or rewards don't exist. Everything gets paid using debit cards.

(note I'm not saying one system or way of doing things is better or worse, it's just different)

So we are assigned a TDY of 5 years in the USA. We have to:

-Open a bank account
-Rent a house
-Get all the utilities (gas, water, electricity, internet)
-Get renters insurance
-Buy a car
-Insure the car
-Get a cellphone plan

I cannot begin to explain how difficult it is to get anything done. We tell every new arrival "pick ONE thing, and try to get ONE thing done on a full day of 8 hours. If you get one thing done, that's great. Don't plan for two things, it just won't happen".

How many times I ended up explaining to someone (in person or on the phone): I'm NOT American. No credit cards, no credit history, no SSN. Foreign military personnel on a TDY in the US, on a diplo visum.

"oh yes I understand no problem, we can help you with that, I gotcha, let me just get your info"

-30 minutes of spelling out your entire history, all kinds of info-

"oh the computer sais no, we can't insure you/provide services, because you don't have a SSN", or "because you don't have a credit history"

I TOLD YOU ALL THIS AT THE BEGINNING

View Quote

It's not much better if you are an American but don't have a U.S. address and phone number.

But I've had similar issues in Europe and Asia. Things get stupider every year in the name of preventing money laundering.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:06:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#25]
Credit score Is only a scam people who think credit score has something to brag about. If you don’t need to take out loans frequently, credit score doesn’t really matter.  Creditors invest in customers.  A credit score is nothing but a creditor’s rating system for the potential profitability off a client.

If you default or frequently miss payments… you will not be profitable customer for them.

If your debt to income ratio is too extreme, you were at high risk for default and missing payments… You are a risky investment for them.

If you habitually do not pay interest bearing debts or frequently carts a balance on revolving credit accounts… they do not profit off you as a customer.

All such people will have low scores because they’re not particularly profitable patrons of creditor services.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:07:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By buck19delta:

I agree, credit scores and what gives you a good score in the eyes of a bank / lender, is GENERALLY the total opposite of what actual good money management skills look like.  That score shows the likelihood the bank can make a pile of cash on you paying your loans out the full length, for maximum interest. If you pay off every loan within a few months of getting it, your score looks worse, than taking 60 months, having 8 loans running at once gives a better score than only 1 loan at once, with a big savings account and paying off a $500k house , or $10k credit card , or $30k car loan causes your score to drop.

Having a paid off house , car, and credit card you never use looks terrible credit score wise, but refinancing your house every year to get $5k in cash and paying it off every year, running up card charges, etc and keeping a balance for years with monthly payments looks GREAT !

It’s based on bullshit.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By buck19delta:
I don’t use a lot of credit-I got in trouble with credit cards when I was young and haven’t used one since 1997. I pay my bills and keep my nose clean, this was a problem when I bought my house in 2013 becuase the mortgage guy was like “for all we know you were in prison because you have no recent credit history…” I was able to buy the house using bill payment history, albeit at a higher rate and the didn’t let me put the whole 20% I had on hand down to avoid paying points on the mortgage.

Fast forward to today, I have one credit card that I have never used and keeps getting shut off, and I have had one truck loan paid off, one motorcycle loan paid off, and one current motorcycle loan I owe $4k on and can afford to just pay off since I bought the house.

Well, I paid the house off 2 weeks ago…. I have already gotten two warning emails from Experian and Equifax telling me that my credit score has dropped…

These motherfuckers really want to keep a guy on the hook and paying. I’m so glad to be off of that hamster wheel.

Never again.

It’s based on bullshit.

It might indeed look GREAT, but the idea expressed in this thread that it is necessary is also bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By JKH62:
When I paid my house off my score dropped 50~60 points.
View Quote

It’s not a defect, it’s a feature.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By S58DRIVER:
OP, you have the typical Poors mentality.  I spend roughly $8k per month on credit cards. Its dining out, travel, partying, fuel, generally use my Apple card. I get 2 % off using Apple pay then that 2% is transferred into a 3% Apple savings acct. The balance is paid off monthly.
View Quote

Was it 8k or 15k/ mo before the edit?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:21:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Paid off Mortgage - score decreased

Paid off Auto loans - score decreased

Paid off Credit cards - score decreased.

It's almost like they spank you for actually paying your bills.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#30]
We "plateaued" years ago...it runs 795 to 805 and bounces in that range for no discernible reason. Everything is paid for with the exception of a very small boat loan we keep open for credit payment history, the two credit cards are paid in full every month and we live way below our means, so I pretty much stopped caring.

Credit scores are a consumer manipulation tool. Treats for some behaviors, shocks for others.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:41:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PTR32Sooner] [#31]
Yup, I sold my house, paid it off, my car off, my credit cards off, and my student loans off and my credit dropped 165 points
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:44:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Fushaw:
If you can manage your money well, credit isn’t a problem and has a lot of benefits.

If you can’t, or married someone who can’t, it’s the devil.

Good for you for not getting trapped in consumer debt.
View Quote

I married a retiree that raised 3 boys by herself for a good portion of their childhood…. My wife probably thinks she invented the dollar because I swear she still has the first one he ever had in her hand. When her purse opens, the presidents squint and moths fly out….. shed’s that tight with a buck.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:48:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By XxbatraiderxX:
This is exactly why I don't play the game. Not interested in status symbols or competing with debt scores.
View Quote

Welcome to 40 years ago, when your "credit score" only impacted your ability to acquire loans.

In modern times, your credit score determines a lot of things, including how much you pay for car/home insurance (regardless of accidents or losses), the ease in setting up utilities if you ever move, and even if you qualify for a variety of jobs.

You can ignore the importance of your credit score.   But you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring the importance of your credit score.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:50:59 PM EDT
[#34]
I have received so many thousands of dollars from points on credit cards...

Have probably been paid back every fee and finance charge I ever racked up in college several times over using them wisely.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:51:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Nickel_Plated:
I have an old credit card account that I set up to auto-pay about a total of $300 worth of bills every month. Then my bank account is set up to auto-pay that card in full every month. I have the actual physical card buried in my documents and never use it for anything else. Nice automated way to keep a consistent credit history without risking burying myself in debt (which I can be easily prone to doing). I check on it once in a while to make sure nothing's getting out of hand, but otherwise I can pretty much leave it to do it's thing.
View Quote

One downside.

If you die watching TV, no one will find you for years.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:52:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By sabre_kc:
I love reading about people crushing their mortgage and getting off the hamster wheel of doom. Excellent work OP!

$42k to go on mine and I will be free at last! The last thing I’m worried about is my credit score. The whole system can pound sand.
View Quote

Weeeelll, I wouldn’t say it was all thru hard work-I had 7 years left on the mortgage and nearly burned the house down in 2022. I still owed 77k on it and took the money left over from insurance for our contents and paid it off after we moved back in recently.

I originally bought I’m 2013 and got a 30 year fixed. That got refinanced to a lower rate and a 15 year note with no cash out and then refinanced again shortly after to a 12 year no cash out with a 3.375% rate. This is going to free up finances to complete my off grid rural cabin/property and put into retirement.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:53:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FMJshooter] [#37]
Put everything on a card with automatic payments and collect points. I probably get $40-50 in Amazon points every month and haven't paid a dime in interest to Chase ever.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:53:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By jerrmy:
I just have a card that we pay for most everything on and then pay off monthly and get a 2% kickback on it.  Had my card compromised so many times it just makes sense for us- would rather the credit card company deal with fraud rather than my bank account. I don't buy from any sketchy places either.

Because I don't have a big loan my score hovers around 790ish.
View Quote

I had a debit card get compromised last year that I had never used…..
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:53:58 PM EDT
[#39]
I have no debt either. House paid off ect.  I keep one credit card that has a 25k limit I just use it to buy something every month and pay it off so they don't cancel it.   My score dropped but it still is around 800.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

You're trusting the Post Office to get your money to your CC company?

Does your bank/credit union offer a credit card?  You could save some postage and time.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:54:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Credit sucks and is the debil!!

Flight cost using AA miles- $86 for two of us next week to Mexico. 1st/Business to Gran Canaria cost us a tad more at $433 each.

There is NOTHING wrong with using credit cards. You just need to be responsible.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#42]
I pay by statements off monthly, but I still get ding when they report the statement as an outstanding balance.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:58:27 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't understand the fear that some have about using a credit card for every day payments. Just keep it reasonable and pay it off every month.

View Quote

Credit cards are literally selling yourself into indentured servitude for toys that will be broken in the next year or two and dinners out you’d just going to convert into a turd…

I’m a lot more mature now than when I got in trouble with credit cards decades ago, but I just don’t want to be saddled with the debt.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#44]
OP, you’re old enough and sophisticated enough, that you might be able to use CC’s responsibly.   I log in and pay mine off, several times a month.  It takes about 3 clicks.    

Fwiw, the Credit companies don’t get paid extra if you use CC’s.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:03:20 PM EDT
[#45]
@TheOtherDave
TheOtherDave: Well, I paid the house off 2 weeks ago…. I have already gotten two warning emails from Experian and Equifax telling me that my credit score has dropped…

Never again.
View Quote
Say it with me, "usury".
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#46]

Credit cards are literally selling yourself into indentured servitude for toys that will be broken in the next year or two and dinners out you’d just going to convert into a turd…

I’m a lot more mature now than when I got in trouble with credit cards decades ago, but I just don’t want to be saddled with the debt.
View All Quotes

How am I selling myself into servitude when I carry 0 balance and get a guaranteed return of 2% to 5% just for spending money on things I’m going to buy anyway?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:03:08 PM EDT
[#47]
My credit score dropped almost 30 points after I paid my house off.  its still above 800, but its bullshit they ding you for being responsible.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:35:39 PM EDT
[#48]
The purpose of the credit score is to benefit lenders, not borrowers.  If they cannot make money off of you, then that hurts your credit worthiness in their eyes.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By COCKEDANDGLOCKED:
My credit score dropped almost 30 points after I paid my house off.  its still above 800, but its bullshit they ding you for being responsible.
View Quote

Because the lenders want to keep you in debt.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#50]
So do you care or not care about your credit score?

Cuz it certainly sounds like you care.
Page / 4
Top Top