Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:51:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Friend of mine has 130 head of Herefords, he's the kind of person who doesn't respond well to strangers coming onto the ranch.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:48:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Glock63:

Go ahead and show me proof of this. I've been in ag my whole life and this is absloute bullshit lies.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Orion_Shall_Rise:

Well in dairy herds.. it may be spread by feeding poultry litter... ie they literally feed chicken shit to cows...

Go ahead and show me proof of this. I've been in ag my whole life and this is absloute bullshit lies.

It must be a regional thing because I've never seen it. We also don't have poultry farms here though so that would likely play a big factor in it.

The weirdest thing they have in the commodities sheds around here is the leftovers from chocolate processing.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:57:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By JellyJugz:
It's spread by migratory birds.
There is no stopping it now.
How did it get here is the only question....
View Quote

Well... since, as you said, it's spread by migratory birds, and those birds migrate, I'm gonna guess that migratory birds is how it got here.

I guess you could be hinting that the .gov goes from state to state spreading it on purpose, but I think that's a 0% chance. All they have to is, wait for it... infect some migratory birds and let them do it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:57:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By C-4:

Any information the federal government gathers is so steeped in politics as to be useless.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:
There's a fine line that needs to be towed. The government does have some responsibility to at least know what is going on and try to make a plan to mitigate it before entire sectors of the economy get wiped out.

They can't really do that without inspections of some kind.

Any information the federal government gathers is so steeped in politics as to be useless.
Not useless. Used against us.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:58:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Cgale:
How do I get rid of these advertisments that always come up when I open posting and do not go away, they are there all the time...crappy,crappylllllllll
View Quote
Stop being poor and support the site?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:03:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By MedmanKS:
It’d be a shame if Feds started ‘disappearing…’
A real shame.
View Quote

More likely resisting farms would start suddenly "going up in flames" like Waco.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:03:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Karankawa] [#7]
Good, even if it’s a little weak. They’re trying to take our liberty and starve us. Way past time to start acting like it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:08:32 AM EDT
[#8]

It must be a regional thing because I've never seen it. We also don't have poultry farms here though so that would likely play a big factor in it.

The weirdest thing they have in the commodities sheds around here is the leftovers from chocolate processing.
View All Quotes

Well in dairy herds.. it may be spread by feeding poultry litter... ie they literally feed chicken shit to cows...

Not regional because I've never seen it either. Probably been watching his FIL spread it as fertilizer and misunderstood thinking he was feeding it to them. Or his FIL is a POS and shouldn't be around animals.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:11:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Karankawa:
Good, even if it’s a little weak. They’re trying to take our liberty and starve us. Way past time to start acting like it.
View Quote

They're trying to starve us? The USDA has a 230 billion dollar budget last year. Farms of all sizes around here are getting all kinds of reimbursements for new projects from both USDA and NRCS.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:25:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By tveddy:

Sure you can check my herd thats perfectly healthy.

Gov- we found avian flu. We will be back tomorrow to eradicate them

6 months later
Gov- turns out our tests were faulty

2 years later
Gov- now that we have eradicated all cows and everyone is eating crickets we have found that avian flu doesnt pose the risk we initially though. Unfortunately the cricket flu is making us switch everyone to meal worms
View Quote

Bingo!
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:26:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Has the government been euthanizing sick herds?
View Quote

They’ve been euthanizing herds that were not sick.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:29:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By bgrhammer:
As a farmer you don't want the USDA anywhere near your property. My family went through similar horseshit when they discovered some fatal airborne bug that killed citrus trees. They would come in test the trees for this disease and mail you $25 for each tree that they cut down. Now a rational person goes, well how fatal is this tree disease? Oh about, 20 -25 years. And how does this disease migrate? Oh, a bug bites into an infected tree and now spreads it to uninfected trees.

So let me get this straight,  you want me to topple trees that are mature and productive,  have me accept a $25 per tree replacement value that is underwhelming because even a crippled tree makes at least $800 in a season. And have me start at zero for at least 5 years while I nurture this young tree, just to have you come back years later and tag the new tree, and in shoots and ladder style send me back to square one with no profit,  only loss, go fuck yourself!
View Quote

This guy is a real farmer. He gets it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:51:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Starting Wednesday on May 8, a state emergency order will go into effect in Michigan in an effort to limit the spread of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza.

While it's not impacting people yet, HPAI's toll on the state's economy as well as its operations for supplying eggs and meat has taken a hit. Left unchecked, the director of the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development warns issues could only intensify.

"Michigan's been in the unique position of dealing with a pretty significant HPAI outbreak both in a number of fair herds here in the state, but a number of poultry operations as well - some commercial egg laying facilities, some turkey farms," said Director Tim Boring.

Normally, mid-spring issues that farmers manage are normally related to the weather and too much rain - or cold nights freezing crops. But this year, it's the bird flu.

"Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza has been around the country for a couple of years now, but what makes this latest outbreak really significant is the fact it is now very prevalent in dairy cattle across the country," Boring said.

In Michigan, farmers are struggling as their operations are limited and animals suffer after getting infected with the latest strain of HPAI.

To quell the spread, state officials will execute an emergency order that will deploy biosecurity measures while tracking people on site of vulnerable farms.

"We continue to know that this virus is spread through people and vehicle movement, so we’ve called on poultry and dairy facilities across the state to be implementing some essential bio-security practices for the cleaning and disinfecting, tracking who is on facilities, identification of a biosecurity manager," said Boring.

It will also impact what fair season looks like this summer in Michigan, Boring said.

"We’re looking to halt poultry exhibitions until we have had a negative test in the state for 30 days. And we’re placing restrictions on bringing lactating dairy cattle to the fair," he added.

Notably, the director said, its not a public health problem - yet.

"Pasteurization remains an effective treatment to limit the virus spread into milk. Humans are not getting sick from this virus, outside of one farmworker in Texas.," said Boring.

Additional state efforts will work to pin down just what kind of impact the outbreak will have on Michigan farmers.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:53:52 AM EDT
[#14]
You need to go to your handlers and ask for an immediate extraction , your cover is blown.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:04:14 AM EDT
[#15]
It'd be a shame if Feds started 'disappearing '
A real shame.
View Quote
Maybe the dairy farmers need to make friends with the hog farmers
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:11:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By nandoz:
We’re all dead here in Iowa. Sorry you missed the memo.
View Quote

I've been dead since the "winter of death"

You .gov lovers should know better by now. JFC how stupid can anyone be at this point.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:15:21 AM EDT
[#17]

They're trying to starve us? The USDA has a 230 billion dollar budget last year. Farms of all sizes around here are getting all kinds of reimbursements for new projects from both USDA and NRCS.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Karankawa:

That's kinda where I'm at.  

If everyone's livestock dropped dead you know damn well they'd all have their hand out.

How many of these operations are damn near wholly subsidized by fed money?

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:15:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zaphar] [#18]
Originally Posted By BigGrumpyBear:

Well... since, as you said, it's spread by migratory birds, and those birds migrate, I'm gonna guess that migratory birds is how it got here.

I guess you could be hinting that the .gov goes from state to state spreading it on purpose, but I think that's a 0% chance. All they have to is, wait for it... infect some migratory birds and let them do it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JellyJugz:
It's spread by migratory birds.
There is no stopping it now.
How did it get here is the only question....

Someone posted a video on here about a small farm in WA state that had their entire flock culled because some migratory birds infected them. From what I remember all it takes is migratory birds flying overhead and dropping bird bombs to contaminate an area.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:16:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By bmarshall1:
You need to go to your handlers and ask for an immediate extraction , your cover is blown.
View Quote

I am sure it is duly noted and we have been reported as non conformists.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:50:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By dirtyboy:

How do you emphasize a herd?
View Quote
HERD
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:53:17 AM EDT
[#21]
A real shame.
View Quote

Pigs need to eat.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:56:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By lockinload:

Jesus Christ dude...that is all.
View Quote

On par with all of his posts
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:23:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By CMiller:
I'm not sure I understand the rationale for this. If we ever are in danger of a real pandemic, the most important thing is to track it as early as possible.  The longer it goes untracked the less chance you have of keeping it under control.  Why would anybody not want this to happen?

ETA: I get distrust of the feds, I lived through Covid just like everybody else here, and no--never got vaxxed, never will.

But testing and tracking is independent of the questions of what to do when it's detected.  We can have that conversation without choosing willful ignorance.
View Quote

Really?

Because the feds are the ones looking to create a panic and potential food shortage during an election year.

Why the fuck is the CDC getting involved in something the local agri departments are responsible for? It ain’t in their purview, and they damn sure aren’t just “tracking transmission.”

Anytime the feds get involved, they fuck shit up, through either incompetence or malice.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:36:07 AM EDT
[#24]

Not regional because I've never seen it either. Probably been watching his FIL spread it as fertilizer and misunderstood thinking he was feeding it to them. Or his FIL is a POS and shouldn't be around animals.
View All Quotes

Feeding poultry litter to cattle isn't new. Dairy cattle, not so much, because they get higher quality rations. But, certainly nothing new about feeding litter to cattle.

You're from Alabama and think it doesn't happen just because you've never seen it? Sometimes we don't know what we don't know:

Linky
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:41:38 AM EDT
[#25]
I have no doubt that the feds will mandate new voting rules due to the spread of the bird flu. I'm not sure what they could be . . . since mail-in seems to start about four years before an election, no ID is needed, and ballot harvesting is really helpful when dealing with homeless folk and people in Alzheimer wards.

Maybe they'll just make sure that ballots only include Democratic candidates
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:46:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By lockinload:

Jesus Christ dude...that is all.
View Quote

This. The Government has earned our complete absence of trust—1000 times over.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:47:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Broken trust results in more people saying fuck off.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:52:30 AM EDT
[#28]

No one trusts the federal government on any topic related to infectious diseases.  Full stop.  Maybe don’t lie and manipulate the population next time around.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is at odds with state officials and the dairy industry over its on-the-ground response to the avian flu outbreak spreading among dairy cows, complicating President Joe Biden's efforts to track and contain a virus that has the potential to sicken millions of people.

Many farmers don't want federal health officials on their property. State agriculture officials worry the federal response is sidelining animal health experts at the Agriculture Department, and also that some potential federal interventions threaten to hinder state and local health officials rushing to respond to the outbreaks.

"It's overreach. They don't need to do that. They need to back off," Texas Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller, a former rodeo cowboy who is a possible pick to lead the USDA if former President Donald Trump wins the presidential election, said in an interview.

Texas, the first state where the bird flu virus was detected, has not invited the CDC to conduct epidemiological field studies there, even though its health department is open to the research, because, "We haven't found a dairy farm that is interested in participating," said Lara Anton, a spokesperson for the Texas Department of State Health Services.

The resistance of dairy farmers is emblematic of the trust gap between key agriculture players in both red and blue states and federal health officials   one that public health experts fear could hamper the nation's ability to head off the virus' threat to humans.

"The risk here of something going from one or two sporadic [human] cases to becoming something of international concern, it's not insignificant," CDC Principal Deputy Director Nirav Shah said at a recent Council on Foreign Relations event.

"We've all seen how a virus can spread around the globe before public health has even had a chance to get its shoes on," Shah added. "That's a risk and one that we have to be mindful of."
#twoweekstoflattenthecurvebois

No one trusts the federal government on any topic related to infectious diseases.  Full stop.  Maybe don’t lie and manipulate the population next time around.

Yep.

full stop
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:58:23 AM EDT
[#29]
H5N1 is not containable. It is being spread by wild birds that move and shit by will.

Cows on the other hand are stuck on a ranch / farm, most in pens. They aren't going anywhere and are not spreading anything.

The dude on the farm that got H5N1 from a cow got pink eye, was given an anti-viral and fully recovered.

People get pink eye from flu all the time, I have had it myself several times, but not from cows.

Take care in handling raw beef, chicken, and eggs. Cook them through, and H5N1 is not a problem in the food supply.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:17:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dirtyboy] [#30]

View Quote

Most of the budget goes to SNAP and other food and nutrition assistance for the people that don't pay taxes.  Was about 80%, feel free to do this years math.

https://www.usaspending.gov/agency/department-of-agriculture?fy=2024

Very little .gov money in cattle, that goes to farmers not ranchers.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:36:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Mach:
H5N1 is not containable. It is being spread by wild birds that move and shit by will.

Cows on the other hand are stuck on a ranch / farm, most in pens. They aren't going anywhere and are not spreading anything.

The dude on the farm that got H5N1 from a cow got pink eye, was given an anti-viral and fully recovered.

People get pink eye from flu all the time, I have had it myself several times, but not from cows.

Take care in handling raw beef, chicken, and eggs. Cook them through, and H5N1 is not a problem in the food supply.
View Quote

Totally not common.  It's been at least two weeks since a guy in my office stayed out for flu symptoms including pink eye.  Team of eight usually.

People are retarded.  The CDC is just trying to freak people out.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:47:20 AM EDT
[#32]
A real shame.
View Quote

almost a "tragedy"
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:53:42 AM EDT
[#33]
What are the risks of bird flu in meat? Why are we so concerned about this in the first place?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:05:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By NotIssued:

Try this:

Why does the federal government need to get involved?  There's a state equivalent that's perfectly capable.  Hell, there are county health departments for a reason,  and it's not just WIC and STD testing.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NotIssued:

Try this:

Why does the federal government need to get involved?  There's a state equivalent that's perfectly capable.  Hell, there are county health departments for a reason,  and it's not just WIC and STD testing.

I assumed that was happening, but from what I read it's not.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/just-one-human-infected-bird-121130918.html

CDC Director Mandy Cohen said her agency is prepared to conduct on-the-ground bird flu testing and other forms of surveillance.

“We are ready to deploy,” Cohen said in an interview Monday. “We have been for weeks.” Those on standby at the CDC include multilingual and multidisciplinary epidemiological teams.

Yet the nine states with infected cattle — Texas, New Mexico, Michigan, Kansas, Idaho, Colorado, North Carolina, Ohio and South Dakota — said in statements they have not invited the CDC.

In New Mexico and Texas, the only two states that have reported conducting testing of their own, the scope of that work has been limited. New Mexico tested three people for avian flu, a spokesperson said in an email.

The Texas Department of State Health Services tested about 20 people, with one positive case in a dairy farm worker. The worker showed signs of conjunctivitis with red, swollen eyes and returned to work the day after testing. A spokesperson for the department said it hasn’t invited the CDC “because we have not found any dairy farms interested in participating in an epidemiological field study.”
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:06:16 AM EDT
[#35]
You mean farmers are against killing off the entire herd/flock because an animal three counties over tested positive? I am shocked!
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#36]
If only the CDC and federal government hadn't tarnished their reputation because Orange Man bad people might take them seriously.  I was talking about this with co-workers yesterday on the way to lunch, none of them gave a fuck.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:53:06 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

It's common.
https://extension.missouri.edu/publications/g2077

@GLOCK63
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:59:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Goes to test farms for flu

Won't go to border to test for anything

Lol
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#39]
There's a fine line that needs to be towed. The government does have some responsibility to at least know what is going on and try to make a plan to mitigate it before entire sectors of the economy get wiped out.

They can't really do that without inspections of some kind.
View Quote

Sure,or they can wipe out those sectors on their own. What world have you lived in the past 5 years. I guess you dont have kids.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:40:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Karankawa] [#40]

View Quote

So what? You can’t eat dollars. That just increases inflation and reduces meat supply at times of record shortage and cost. The USDA has far more people on their payroll than there are farmers in the country. That doesn’t mean there’s not an attack our food supply. TPTB have gone after fertilizer and call it helpful. They’re using the fraudulently amplified PCR test to look for fragments of disease in the runoff of cattle ranches where farmers don’t want them on the property. If you haven’t been paying attention, there is a huge push against beef in this country. There are very few independent suppliers and TPTB work to push them out constantly. I think there are only three major companies that produce beef. They are all suspect for one reason or another. Unclean conditions, mRNA injections, unknown flavor enhancers, unhealthy grain finishing, all kinds of unhealthy and unnecessary trouble. At this point, I think it’s not hard to make the argument mRNA is a bio weapon designed to kill us.

We own two farms. Fairly diverse. Irrigated, dryland, cattle grazing land and CRP. no dairy or poultry, but a wide variety of crops rotating out, often what the scam of the year is. There has been a recent push to regenerative soil through cover crops I guess but it’s long overdue. That’s all up to the farmers and my wife. The land has been in her family for generations. I’ve seen firsthand just tell bureaucratic and wasteful the USDA can be. There’s some nice and helpful people in the local offices, but it’s as unaccountable as any government agency.

The FDA, USDA and CDC are no longer looking out for us. They have become a gloved hand of the tyrant, trying to control our lives in every way under the guise of safety and health. Every time I hear about a new food safety issue, wastewater testing, or rare fires that have burned multiple food processing facilities, despite them having redundant sprinklers, alarms, and compartmentalized areas to halt the spread of fire I am increasingly reminded of how Stalin weaponized food, or the lack thereof to kill tens of millions of people.

In this story alone millions of birds were slaughtered because they say one was infected. They don’t specify what testing protocol was used, but anything using PCR should be immediately suspect. It was a brilliant discovery but the inventor Kary Mullis has made multiple videos talking about how it was abused before he died just before the plandemic.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:31:27 PM EDT
[#41]

It's common.
https://extension.missouri.edu/publications/g2077

@GLOCK63
View Quote
Not in dairy cows it shouldn't be.
Snipped from article posted above:
"Litter should not be fed to lactating dairy cows, because there is no opportunity for a withdrawal period to ensure the elimination of residues from milk."

I've worked feedlots with 1200 head in them and not once did we feed chickenshit to any of our animals. I understand the practice has been in place since the 70s but it sounds like shit animal husbandry to me. I guess if your goal is the production of select grade beef for dogfood then so be it.
In any case, if regulations are followed, than its a non-issue in beef cattle. However, if you're willing to feed avian waste to your animals, maybe regulations don't matter much either.  
The problem of any solution to bird flu transmission, being a real threat or not, is severely hampered by mistrust in any government entity at this point because of past performance, especially the CDC.  I can't even think of a situation that would allow them to get any credibility back at this point.

I wonder if Argentinian ranchers feed poop to their cows?  

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

About the closest I can think is chicken manure as pasture fertilizer that cattle might graze on.  That's a long way from feeding shit directly to cows, as that poster said.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:13:22 PM EDT
[#43]

How do you emphasize a herd?
View Quote

HERD!
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#44]
birds arent real so its obvious bird flu is another massive government project with unknown evil designs. the government prolly just wants to get access to all those cattle to murder them in order to expedite one of the green new deal objectives where we all eat bugs.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#45]

Most of the budget goes to SNAP and other food and nutrition assistance for the people that don't pay taxes.  Was about 80%, feel free to do this years math.

View All Quotes

How are they trying to starve us then? That's a big budget to feed people.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#46]

How are they trying to starve us then? That's a big budget to feed people.
View Quote

It sounds like a big budget to buy welfare votes.

Look at the farmer protests in Europe and also what's going on in Canada. There's a definite war on agriculture and particularly livestock. It's more advanced in Europe (like most bad things) but they will bring it here.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top