BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Morgan321:

Again, if you're going to an unimproved island then you only have humans to load your cargo.  So anything humans can load by hand will fit in an osprey.  
You can send two osprey to carry the same weight.  

I'm just giving likely reasons why floats for a c130 weren't approved.  
View Quote

I am doing this for memory, but one of the talking points was the distances in the PAC were such that the V22 option was ruled out.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:32:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By JQ66:

So you let the Japanese do the depot maintenance
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JQ66:
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

A handful of one-off planes with their own PMO, training, supply, and depot systems seems like a much larger investment than some floats.

So you let the Japanese do the depot maintenance

Well you certainly sold me that getting an entirely new airframe and everything to go with it is a more economical plan.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:34:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:
https://www.twz.com/air/c-130-float-plane-program-put-on-pause-by-special-operations-command

https://www.twz.com/uploads/2024/05/07/mc-130-float-plane-render.jpg?auto=webp&crop=16%3A9&auto=webp&optimize=high&quality=70&width=750

The U.S. military's Fiscal Year 2025 budget request, which was rolled out in March, had included $11.5 million for SOCOM to pay for the fabrication of initial components necessary for the MC-130J floatplane conversion. In its proposed Fiscal Year 2024 budget, the Pentagon had asked for $15 million for the MAC project, and the year-over-year "decrease of $3.5 million... is due to [the] completion of detailed design activities in FY 2024," according to official budget documents. The Pentagon was limited in how much funding it could ask for in the upcoming fiscal cycle under the provisions of the Fiscal Responsibility Act, which Congress passed and President Joe Biden signed into law last year.
View Quote

That C-130 is cool, fuck the gov for being gay.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:40:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sierra-def] [#4]
Originally Posted By Deadtired:
If you're gonna do it, do it sexy.  

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6e/Boeing_314_Clipper-cropped.jpg
View Quote

Sir, you misspelled Catalina
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TarzanT:
This was Jim Slife’s baby before he was promoted to 4 star and made the AF Vice Chief of Staff.  

Limited utility, but could be useful in the Pacific. Not really sure if the juice is worth the squeeze though.

(I flew MH-53 PAVE LOW’s with Lt Slife decades ago.  Pretty smart fellow)

View Quote

Very cool brother.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By MtnMusic:

Exactly. The article even mentions that the Japanese are lifting export restrictions...

https://www.twz.com/uploads/2023/05/09/us-2-jsdf.jpg?auto=webp&optimize=high&quality=70&width=640
View Quote

I was looking at a Beaver but this will carry a couple more friends and fly fishing gear. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:43:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Not the first time a C-130 floatplane has been considered.

A model of a 1960s-era C-130 seaplane derivative concept with a boat hull-like fuselage.
From Lockheed.

Lockheed Martin also floated an idea of a float-equipped C-130J variant in the late 1990s, but that didn’t take either.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:17:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aod886] [#8]
Originally Posted By ZitiForBreakfast:

Completely empty, stripped down, min fuel with nothing else on the flight deck. Kick ass photo op, that's all.
View Quote

Sure.

But don't we have bigger flat tops now?

This is tounge in check before GD turns into GD.

Edit to add: I'd say it was way more than just a "kick ass photo op".  

I didn't even bring up the fact that we not only landed, but took off a modified C130 in the area of a soccer field (Operation Eagle Claw).

Forget the mission failed. Still pretty damn cool.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:56:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By sierra-def:

Sir, you misspelled Catalina
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/PBY-5A_VP-61_Aleutians_Mar_1943.jpg
View Quote
You're not wrong, at all, but I figured that SOCOM would need a bit more capacity that a patrol plane/flying yacht could provide.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:18:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By KA3B:
Not the first time a C-130 floatplane has been considered.

A model of a 1960s-era C-130 seaplane derivative concept with a boat hull-like fuselage.
From Lockheed.
https://www.twz.com/uploads/2022/09/21/c-130-boat-hull.jpg

Lockheed Martin also floated an idea of a float-equipped C-130J variant in the late 1990s, but that didn’t take either.
View Quote

These are cool.

I would rather have float planes and new shipyards than give money to gay stupid other countries.

I think NGAD costs about 29 billion dollars.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:29:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By phatmax:

If what the government tells us is true, it is less niche every day. Now that New York City and Florida are submerged under the sea, and the rest the world is going to drown the day after tomorrow, thanks to climate change...one would think float planes would be a priority.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By phatmax:
Originally Posted By LineOfDeparture:
We are just tax slaves for the globalist to harvest wealth from.

ETA: neat looking plane... seems extremely niche.

If what the government tells us is true, it is less niche every day. Now that New York City and Florida are submerged under the sea, and the rest the world is going to drown the day after tomorrow, thanks to climate change...one would think float planes would be a priority.

On the plus side there are not too many hills in mid to lower Florida area so scouting out the Watters-identified hiding-in-the-hills Maga Revolutionaries should be easy. Won't really need a bigger boat plane.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:36:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Spooky130:

So you get a C-130 that can't really do the traditional C-130 jobs.  And you get a seaplane that's probably not a very good seaplane.  Unless the C-130 can be rapidly reconverted to a normal C-130 I don't see how this is a good thing.

Looking at the Japanese plane I'm not sure how they load cargo or people.  There's no ramp like traditional US military cargo aircraft.  Wonder if it is people only and little to no cargo capability?
View Quote

I assume this is for a very specific mission capability. Like resupplying remote islands without an airfield?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:04:59 AM EDT
[#13]
That will have the aerodynamics of a fucking brick.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:16:11 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm glad it was cancelled.  Such a stupid idea and a waste of money.  Just 98% of most government spending
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:37:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By cone256:
I'm glad it was cancelled.  Such a stupid idea and a waste of money.  Just 98% of most government spending
View Quote

Normally I'm a small government Jeffersonian, but the stupid moms with the "make the air force hold a bake sale to buy B2s and fund our schools!" Radicalized me so now I just want to fund everything in the military
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top