User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:35:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep. Several times.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:44:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Steel-Driver-76] [#2]
I was working in a warehouse building hit by one in September, 2002.  I didn't see it but I remember everyone being told to go to "the money room" (a central room made of cinder blocks and reinforced something or other) and as I shuffled in there, my ears started popping, and I saw a large piece of what I thought was paper was being blown through the garage attached to the warehouse.  I would later find out that piece of "paper" was actually a sheet of metal roofing being blown around and deformed like it was paper.  We sat in the "hardened" money room (it was like a big safe) for a few minutes; the power went out, my ears popped quite a bit, it got loud, and then, after just a few minutes ...nothing.  After a few minutes of quiet, everyone walked out of the money room and half the roof was gone from the rather large warehouse building.  My old Impala parked next to the building was "sand blasted" a bit by debris but otherwise made it out unscathed.  I remember staying to clean up because I heard the roads were a mess from debris.  Even when I left work several hours after my normal shift ending time (must have been about 7 PM), it took me several hours to make my way home on what was normally only a 15 minute drive.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:44:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Worked rescue / recovery after the EF5 Plainfield, IL tornado of August 28, 1990. Saw things that you couldn’t even imagine.

Got caught in one in Amarillo, TX in late May of 2008 then a week later an EF2 hit the town I worked in. Actually video of that one out there when I gave a press briefing.

Even the smaller ones pack a punch.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:47:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Three and a half.

Two while on a motorcycle a number of years apart. One while mobile storm spotting in my truck. The "half" was a rain wrapped F2 which ended up hitting Stark County in April 2003. My ex and I caught the back end of the cell as we were racing to get to a more favorable position. She saw the rotating rain curtains and it was all nope...nope...nope...
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:47:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Growing up I’d see 1-2 a a year.We lived in Tornado Allley, and had quite a few in the area every year. However they were always smaller, and hardly ever did serious damage. With the exception of my 12th and 13th birthdays. A friends house 2 miles away in the country got absolutely demolished on my 12th, and right after rebuild it took serious damage again on my 13th birthday. A year later to the day. His mom was PISSED
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:50:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I’ve seen a couple obscured by rain as it passed through the cornfield behind my house in NW Indy. I saw the rain swriling in front of my house from the one that passed low over my neighborhood.

It was pretty weak—it tossed around players and broke some trees. It was funny. Afterwards, walking around the neighborhood, I noticed that all the mailboxes (the really sturdy, secure kind) were popped open by the extreme low pressure area under the tornado.

It would have been a lot less cool had the tornado been on the ground.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:53:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes. May 3, 1999

F5
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:24:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BoomerShooter:
Yes. May 3, 1999

F5
View Quote

That thing was a mile and a half in diameter...kind of puts things in perspective when you look at the small ones the "storm chasers" try to get so close to

A fucking tornado,  a mile and a half in diameter
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:26:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By noob5000000:
No, thankfully.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:28:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes , four or five times.

One bounced over my house .
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:32:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By pale_pony:

That thing was a mile and a half in diameter...kind of puts things in perspective when you look at the small ones the "storm chasers" try to get so close to

A fucking tornado,  a mile and a half in diameter
View Quote

I've never seen anything in my life like the things that I saw that day. Things that just didn't make sense with respect to physics.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:34:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Only from a short distance, I was on a hill and could see the tornado a few hills from me.
I did go to the area after the tornado went through, there was lots of destruction.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:35:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Had three surround the boat one time. Have been out on the water multiple times with one and even two nearby.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:39:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pale_pony] [#15]
I've never seen anything in my life like the things that I saw that day. Things that just didn't make sense with respect to physics.
View Quote

The vacuum plays tricks with the science

The old standby; an Oklahoma pole barn made with old salvaged telephone poles for support.  The vacuum causes the wood to expand, the wind is blowing around a lot of hay straws in a circle, straw gets caught in expanded pole and when the vacuum collapses it leaves a telephone pole sticking up out of the ground that looks like a giant fuzzy hairbrush. Only the wind didn't actually "blew so hard it drove straw through a telephone pole"

Cows on tops of barns and windmills,  tractors thrown into neighbors pastures.  Tornados crossing a pond and throwing fish into the treetops

Still, 300 mph winds do their own damage
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:41:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I grew up in Iowa.  I have seen numerous tornadoes.  This one was out the kitchen window.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:43:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pale_pony] [#17]
Originally Posted By jagdkommando:
I grew up in Iowa.  I have seen numerous tornadoes.  This one was out the kitchen window.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/146923/4F54B978-DF80-46BB-9126-EE49AA382205-2637277.jpg
View Quote

Great picture!
The proverbial "fickle finger of fate"
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:44:23 AM EDT
[#18]

The vacuum plays tricks with the science

The old standby; an Oklahoma pole barn made with old salvaged telephone poles for support.  The vacuum causes the wood to expand, the wind is blowing around a lot of hay straws in a circle, straw gets caught in expanded pole and when the vacuum collapses it leaves a telephone pole sticking up out of the ground that looks like a giant fuzzy hairbrush. Only the wind didn't actually "blew so hard it drove straw through a telephone pole"

Cows on tops of barns and windmills,  tractors thrown into neighbors pastures.  Tornados crossing a pond and throwing fish into the treetops

Still, 300 mph winds do their own damage
View Quote

I found a man dead in his bathroom. He and his dog had took cover sitting on the floor between the toilet and tub. It picked the roof up and dropped it on them both. Both were sitting there, the dog on his lap, dead as a hammer. It was so surreal.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:46:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Seen the aftermath 3 times. Once I drove through only about 5 minutes later. Yes they happen here occasionally.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:48:39 AM EDT
[#20]
I found a man dead in his bathroom. He and his dog had took cover sitting on the floor between the toilet and tub. It picked the roof up and dropped it on them both. Both were sitting there, the dog on his lap, dead as a hammer. It was so surreal.
View Quote

Whereabouts?

BTW, thank you for your service.  Even if it was neighbor to neighbor

I've lived here over 60 years and it always amazed me watching Noleans disaster victims blubbering for help on tv...we're too busy digging each other out. We don't wait for help, we make our own until help gets here
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:52:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Yes. My truck and I hid under an overpass. I watched it in front of me and then it went over the road and I watched it move away in back of me. It was crazy for Florida.

I had just dropped a friend off after going to the movies. She called me while I was hiding under the overpass to tell me there was a tornado in the area... Yep, I know.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:53:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jasoncar40] [#22]
Grew up and am now back in Iowa, so yeah I've seen a few.

Saw one at a football game too: ISU vs Colorado Tornado Game

Drove by one south of Denver once on the back side of it. Didn't see it till I was though the heavy rain.

Dealt with the aftermath of a monster as well, which killed any interest I had at the time of chasing storms.

I don't have my photo of a semi frame wrapped around a poll uploaded to arfcom.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:57:54 AM EDT
[#23]

Whereabouts?

BTW, thank you for your service.  Even if it was neighbor to neighbor

I've lived here over 60 years and it always amazed me watching Noleans disaster victims blubbering for help on tv...we're too busy digging each other out. We don't wait for help, we make our own until help gets here
View Quote

That was at 104th/Western area. I worked around Westmoore High School for several days.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:03:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Yes, I saw one up close a few times.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:14:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

Despite being a skywarn nerd I'm not sure how to answer this question.

I've seen wall clouds, rotating wall clouds, funnel clouds, and big rain-wrapped bundles of nope that turned out to have been tornados.

I did see one storm that was probably moments away from being a tornado, just had the first bit of dust swirls on the ground under a rotating wall cloud, but it got its inflow choked by a developing cell right behind the first cell and it crapped out.

High-precipitation storms are the order of the day in my AO, so almost every tornado here rapidly gets rain-wrapped and impossible to see.
View Quote

Same.  I have visually confirmed atmospheric indicators.  I heard the freight train four years ago.  I have never seen a funnel touch ground.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:16:23 AM EDT
[#26]
No, and I used to want to see one really badly, as I find things like this fascinating.  About three weeks ago, at about 3am, an EF-1 touched down near one of the major roads near where I lived, destroyed a Firestone, then headed east from there.  It got within a half mile of my house, and that was enough to break 1/3 off one of my front yard trees.  We got off easy, some other people lost whole oak trees, their fences, parts of their roof.  After that near-miss, here's a big NO THANK YOU to tornadoes.  I'll just watch storm chaser videos on YouTube, that is far safer.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Just once. Was a tiny little guy about a mile off the highway, in a corn field. Just happened to look over and see it because it wasn't really stormy or anything.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:31:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: housewolf] [#28]
Only once. From the second floor of what's left of this house. Since I'd never seen a tornado either,  I ignored the warning I got on my phone 15 minutes prior. I was watching the weather and it appeared the storm was going north of me. It did but a tornado spun off it and drew a bead on my ass. There were three fatalities
Attachment Attached File

My view sitting on the floor in a small hallway. I'll be fine if I never see another one.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:33:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Attachment Attached File

Yes would not recommend
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:43:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Nope... During the "Great April 2nd Tornado Outbreak" we had tornadoes dropping all over Eastern Kentucky and Southern Ohio, including one that touched down about 3/4 of a mile to a mile from my house. I couldn't see jack shit because of all of the hills in this area.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:46:59 AM EDT
[#31]
4 have been close. 3 were at night and one had such a wall of horizontal rain you couldn’t see it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Username checks out?  

Attachment Attached File

I really need to go through my old hard drives and get pictures backed up to my cloud storage...
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:53:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Kinda, I have seen a couple of water spouts.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:54:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Gingerbreadman:
About a month ago I found that particular track on Tornado Archive.

View Quote

Love that site.  Kind of fun to go back and look at a few of those tracks knowing which ones I watched & reported.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Washington, IL 2013. I've seen several but this was the only one that hit my house.
Attachment Attached File

My house is mixed in there somewhere, fortunately I had a basement.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#36]
I grew up on the front range of Colorado and have only lived here in KY for a few years.

I have never seen a tornado. We had a tornado hit a few miles away a month or so ago...but I didn't see it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:12:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Yes. Scary deal. No injury's.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:19:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:22:28 AM EDT
[#39]
I have never personally witnessed one with my own eyes, but had a close call literally yesterday evening.  I was subbing with a friend in a golf league in Kalamazoo, MI.  We got called of the course due to incoming storm and only later did I find out that was the storm that dropped in Portage, MI a little south of us.  Ended up doing some significant damage for a Michigan twister.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:26:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By osprey21:
Only one time, on Palm Sunday in 1965.

But I've seen numerous waterspouts.

https://i.postimg.cc/tRKFyB4R/waterspout.jpg
View Quote

Where were you at the time?

@osprey21
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:34:30 AM EDT
[#41]
The 2011 tornado in NC that took out the Lowe's home improvement store in Sanford NC ended up coming down my street when i lived in Holly Springs.   It dropped a tree onto the roof of my house.    The street i lived on looked like a war zone.   I was standing at the front door to the house looking outside as it came down the street.   At one point it was almost an EF4 tornado, i think it was an EF 1 or 2 when it hit my street.    Was wild watching some of the trees be almost vertical from the force of the winds.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:36:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Three of them, and the forth one at night was close enough to feel........not a pleasant feeling
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Had one in central Colorado around this time last year. I didn’t think mountain tornados were a thing.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:45:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:46:08 AM EDT
[#45]
I saw one go past, well kind of.   I was hiding in the bathtub with my cat at the time. No basement.  Storm windows held up and I only lost a few shingles.

Sounded like a freight train rolling down the street.  Skipped over my house and tore the neighbor's roof off 4 houses down from me.  Tossed a pine tree into another neighbor's living room.   Both their houses ended up getting torn down and rebuilt due to the damage.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:47:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Seen a good number and been in one.   The two that stand out, both at Sheppard AFB at different times:
- 1st one I saw on my 5th birthday party.  House on Knob Hill Loop.  Came right over the house, like idiots, we all ran out when one of my friends saw it coming.  Mom yelled and screamed and hustled everyone into the bathroom.  It skipped over the house and came down 100 yards away on the golf course and tore up some trees.  I remember looking up into it.  Seared into brain.
- 3-4 Years later we were back at Sheppard. House on Polaris St.   We looked out one afternoon there were 3 tornados happily dancing on the horizon.  Not hitting anything that I can recall and probably 10-20 miles away on other side of the  base.  That image is also seared into my mind.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Seen a few waterspouts.

A tornado hit our house in Kansas several years ago, but it was at night.

I was at the edge of a rain wrapped tornado here in Texas a couple of weeks ago.  I could certainly hear it and feel the wind changing direction.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#48]
I've seen several waterspouts, but never a tornado over land.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Had one pass through/over my side/back yard back in 2010.

Didn't see it, was too busy hunkering down in the basement and it was dark. The only window facing the carnage was too dark to see anything.

I also didn't notice the house shift on the foundation and the block wall behind me move/separate at the corner. Too preoccupied I guess.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:03:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Yes. I have been in several small ones. Also have been just outside the area of an F5. Do not recommend!!
Page / 5
Top Top