Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:02:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Another state I see people doing this is South Dakota.  I know it is popular with RV folks to register them there even though they don't live in SD, but I have also seen it with passenger vehicles.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I always thought you could only register a personal  vehicle in your
home  state of residency.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:07:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DrkSide06:
I have been considering this mainly to be able to tag an SXS for road use since my state doesn't allow it.  You can tag them in Montana so this would allow me to get a plate which can be used when traveling as the plate is recognized by other states.  There is a lot more to this as you would probably still get pulled over.

In fact Louisiana went after an individual for tax avoidance (not evasion) since he setup and LLC and it purchased a RV.  He was a resident of and purchased the RV in Louisiana.  The Louisiana Supreme Court struck it down as they said the laws of the state of Montana would have to be used to pierce the veil and assess the owner of the LLC.
View Quote

Yep, I titled my Honda Pioneer in MT as a street legal quadracycle.  Just had to put turn signals, a horn, and mirrors on it.  I drive it around town that allows golf carts but not UTVs.  I've gotten pulled over a few times, but once they see the license plate and get schooled that it's not a UTV, it's a quadracycle, then they'll leave you alone.

Regarding the piercing the LLC in MT, you register the LLC to a trust, and that's another level of privacy in MT.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Goosemaster:
I don't register my truck anymore.
View Quote
This seems to be the direction things are going. I don't know how they get away with driving around with a blank (maybe faded maybe just blank) piece of paper taped up in the back window.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 21usernamechecksout:
I always thought you could only register a personal  vehicle in your
home  state of residency.
View Quote

You own the vehicle under a Montana LLC, not personally.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:17:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#7]
The state and enforcers probably won't take notice to someone punching nuns, looting stores, or breaking the law but the fastest way to get the long appendage of the law is to get them all excited about some tax money they think they can round up.

Worth it to me to pay an extra couple hundred bucks doing it the legal way to not have to play a bunch of shell company games.  But I understand why people do it, especially if they have collector/luxury cars.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:23:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 21usernamechecksout] [#8]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I am thinking about doing this it is $1000 to start the LLC and register one car each additional car is around $800. No property tax and all my cars qualify for permanent plates which means no more registration fees every year Just to name a couple of reasons.

https://www.49dollarmontanaregisteredagent.com
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:36:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
What do you think happens when you have a claim and the insurance company that insured your vehicle in Montana finds out you're full of shit and the vehicle was in Indiana the whole time?
1-ha ha you got us where do we send the check?
2-disclaim coverage

I sure don't know
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:44:08 PM EDT
[#11]
fook, i forgot to axe if im in before vehicle registration is theft and imma sov cit.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:24:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought a trailer from a CO resident that had it registered in Montana.  Small registration fee in Colorado when I got the tags.

FWIW, I asked the dmv girl what would happen if I did a Montana LLC and continued the workaround.

She said nothing, other than a possible ticket.  Pretty low value trailer, not worth my time.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Square66:

Like I said I wouldn’t want to bank on being treated the same as regular Joe Schmo LLC by my insurance company like a company the size of U-Haul that has an army of lawyers if an accident happens.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
How does U-HAUL do it?

All of their trucks are tagged Arizona?
But are spread across the states
Including one way and local (stays in a different state.
If  corporations can do it why not private?

Probably for the same reasons Nancy Pelosi can insider trade and the rest of us would go to prison.  $$$$$$$ and influence.

Maybe it's easier to keep track of 10,000 U-haul trucks if theyre all registered to the same state.

And if the headquarters is in AZ it would make sense, i guess

Because, LLC?

Like I said I wouldn’t want to bank on being treated the same as regular Joe Schmo LLC by my insurance company like a company the size of U-Haul that has an army of lawyers if an accident happens.

Especially when you are big enough to self insure.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:46:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Imzadi:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Imzadi:
How does U-HAUL do it?

All of their trucks are tagged Arizona?
But are spread across the states
Including one way and local (stays in a different state.
If  corporations can do it why not private?

Probably for the same reasons Nancy Pelosi can insider trade and the rest of us would go to prison.  $$$$$$$ and influence.

Maybe it's easier to keep track of 10,000 U-haul trucks if theyre all registered to the same state.

And if the headquarters is in AZ it would make sense, i guess

Because, LLC?

Two totally different situations that shouldn't be compared.

As long as your insurance company notified where the vehicle is "garaged" (51%+ of the time), you are good to go.  It doesn't matter whose plate is on it.  If you're leasing from a Montana LLC, then that entity should be listed as an "interested party" on the policy.  There are literally millions of people that do this.  If there wasn't a safe way to do it, then these registry companies wouldn't exist.  People have second homes, third homes, travel non-stop, loan cars to people in other states, etc.  If insurance didn't cover instances like this, you think anyone would buy insurance?  Get a good agent that knows the policies and operate within them.  Really easy to set all this up with the right people.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:11:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By denverdan:

Precisely why mine are expired. Fuck em.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pantexan:
NV and CO have high vehicle registration costs .

Yep, mine was expired for 5 years. I only have a valid one now because I bought a different vehicle and it was included with the title transfer and stuff. This time next year I'll be rolling on expired plates again.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:12:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I have our project car registered in Vermont.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:19:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hockeysew] [#17]
NVM

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:41:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cobradriver] [#18]
Originally Posted By miseses:
The state and enforcers probably won't take notice to someone punching nuns, looting stores, or breaking the law but the fastest way to get the long appendage of the law is to get them all excited about some tax money they think they can round up.

Worth it to me to pay an extra couple hundred bucks doing it the legal way to not have to play a bunch of shell company games.  But I understand why people do it, especially if they have collector/luxury cars.
View Quote

All I did was reserve an N number with FAA for the airplane I'm building.

Florida sent me a bunch of paperwork for taxes even though the airplane doesn't have an airworthiness certificate. It's nothing more than a set of plans and some half built wings. They seem to be under the impression it's worth 250k+....lol...

I'll owe somewhere in the neighborhood of 20k in tax. My N number is going to get moved to an LLC by the same company that did my friends helicopter. The LLC owns his helicopter.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:42:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
View Quote

Must be hard to do while in Ukraine?

Sadly the Vermont loophole closed. I got my fair share though lol
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:42:53 PM EDT
[#20]
On the toys, yes.  Daily drivers, no.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:48:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Cobradriver:

Florida sent me a bunch of paperwork for taxes even though the airplane doesn't have an airworthiness certificate. It's nothing more than a set of plans and some half built wings. They seem to be under the impression it's worth 250k+....lol...

I'll owe somewhere in the neighborhood of 20k in tax. The N number is going to get set up by the same company that did my friends helicopter. The LLC owns his helicopter.

View Quote

Aircraft became a different game because of ADSB.....the government can track them.  Otherwise, 10+ years ago, a very high percentage of aircraft were registered in Delaware.  

So it's much harder to play the tax game with them, but take a look at http://www.advocatetax.com/ for more info.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:32:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By delorean:

Aircraft became a different game because of ADSB.....the government can track them.  Otherwise, 10+ years ago, a very high percentage of aircraft were registered in Delaware.  

So it's much harder to play the tax game with them, but take a look at http://www.advocatetax.com/ for more info.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By delorean:
Originally Posted By Cobradriver:

I'll owe somewhere in the neighborhood of 20k in tax. The N number is going to get set up by the same company that did my friends helicopter. The LLC owns his helicopter.

It's a Pitts Model 12. I'm probably not going to install ADSB...I'll stick with uncontrolled airspace.

Thanks for the link.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:40:19 AM EDT
[#23]
And threads like this are why the title loopholes got closed
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:03:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By jos51700:
View Quote

They are very open.

I have done it for years. Guys complained, but I put the vehicles in a LLC and that was the end. These other states just want the revenue. It is the insurance that really matters. Deception there will result in legal problems. I just did a multi-state policy for personal use with some commercial use covered.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:09:30 AM EDT
[#25]
U-Haul plates are apportioned so every state gets a cut of the registration money.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:14:36 AM EDT
[#26]
I remember when....if you stopped anyone with a NM DL, in any state but NM, you could assume their license was suspended for multiple DUIs in their current state.

You can do a lot of investigating during a traffic stop.  Better not speed and be sure all your lights are working.

Also, all the pizza delivery drivers with out of state plates were married military living off base.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:31:02 AM EDT
[#27]
We have to pay personal property tax in VA but our vehicles are older so it would take a few years to break even if it costs around 1800 to register two vehicles. But I'll be sure to look into this when I replace my truck. We just got the bill for my wife's 2015 Toyota. Almost $400
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:44:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Last year I saw a Pagani with IL plates.  
Made me wonder who has that kind of money and doesn’t register a $3M car through Montana….maybe IL cracks down on that?

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:52:39 AM EDT
[#29]
One logger I know has all his trucks registered in Utah.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:18:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By doyouquaxu:
Its popular with RV people that full time live in their RVs. There are companies you can hire to be your Montana registered agent for an LLC.

Perks:
No sales tax when buying
No inspection
After initial setup costs, its cheap to maintain the LLC and registration
Anonyminity

Cons:
Most states have domicile requirements if a vehicle spends X amount of time in the state per year, or is garaged there primarily, it must be registered in the state. Could lead to tickets, court, back registration fees, and headaches. Depends on how often you run into the lawman.
Setup costs. Using a company as your registered agent and setting everything up can be $1,000 or more initially for a single vehicle.
View Quote

There was a recent podcast on RV Miles (I think) about this subject.  A lot of full timers do this and it was reported that a number of states were cracking down.  Even to the point of questioning campground staff to rat on out of stat RVers

Deputies Ask Campground Staff to Rat on Campers, More “Designated” Dispersed Camping

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:37:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#31]
What do you think happens when you have a claim and the insurance company that insured your vehicle in Montana finds out you're full of shit and the vehicle was in Indiana the whole time?
1-ha ha you got us where do we send the check?
2-disclaim coverage

I sure don't know
View Quote

Since the whole insurance "business" is based on taking IN every dollar possible from the consumer and also not paying OUT a single dollar cent the company is not absolutely required by law (using every delay, loophole, exception or otherwise Wiesel to get out of paying out to same consumer, ...

It may not take Perry Mason or Matlock to crack this one Lawyer Bird.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:44:00 AM EDT
[#32]
There are companies that do this in Utah so you can register whacky vehicles that you can't register elsewhere, like putting two stroke dirt bikes on the street. I've seen people register those little 1/4 size jeeps you can buy at the farm supply store.
View Quote

R.I.P. to the no questions -  no hassle good old Vermont Title.

If you had a VIN number that was not recorded by law enforcement as stolen, you could get plates & registration on literally just about anything with a handwritten bill of sale even with no title.  

A lot of ex-military vehicles got street legal - registered - legal titled thanks to the Vermont DMV.

Sadly, out of state assholes ruined it ...

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:50:32 AM EDT
[#33]
I drive a bucket truck in VA registered in NJ to the corporate headquarters.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:01:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
View Quote

The cool thing about the old Vermont Title is they didn't care where you lived. In Vermont? Outside of Vermont,? Samie Samie to them as long as you paid. You didn't have to hassle with a fake address or entity.

And once registered in Vermont you could later get a clean clear title & registration to all sorts of stuff to which most local DMVs would shout "No Way & No How!".

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:12:10 AM EDT
[#35]
I'll start harumphing over MT registrations when the damn state and cops start taking the illegals and "protected class" off the road with their expired temp tags or no tags and no insurance. Until then, carry on Montucky
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:16:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By jos51700:
View Quote

What is the "loophole" of an LLC owning a piece of equipment in this case a vehicle?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:19:57 AM EDT
[#37]
KY is insane as well, I'm paying $1000 a year for two cars that I already had to pay states sales tax on when I bought them
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:27:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: goodolboy71] [#38]
It's not just about taxes.  Over half of my customers elected Montana registration due to other reasons.  These folks have plenty of money,  but if you want to drive your euro spec non catilizer F40 and keep it in California,  you can't get it registered due to inspections. Once you have the LLC and a registered agent, It's just easier to put your other cars under there.

Only time anyone has reached out to us was a few years ago GA asked for list customers from GA that bought cars and didn't register in GA. There is no legal requirement for a non GA dealer to have to supply them that info, so they were told to FO.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:32:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By CryptoMan:  I hate car registration fees and taxes.  I don't see a reason to have to put a government owned (that you have to pay) piece of metal on your own vehicle to operate it on a public road
View Quote
Because owning and operating a motor vehicle it is not a “Right” listed in the US Constitution .  It is a privilege granted by the states .
This is what the states would like to do with firearms if they could .
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:34:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By CryptoMan:

I wish that I had the balls to do that
I hate car registration fees and taxes.  I don't see a reason to have to put a government owned (that you have to pay) piece of metal on your own vehicle to operate it on a public road
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CryptoMan:
Originally Posted By Goosemaster:
I don't register my truck anymore.

I wish that I had the balls to do that
I hate car registration fees and taxes.  I don't see a reason to have to put a government owned (that you have to pay) piece of metal on your own vehicle to operate it on a public road
It doesn't take balls, it takes a 10 year old vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:54:21 AM EDT
[#41]
I have an LLC in Montana.  Was a couple hundred bucks.  Very business friendly there.

Registered my dad's RV there and my 45' catamaran there.

Total savings so far is like $20k.

Would not do personal vehicles because of the cops and their fishing expeditions.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:54:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By big_sti:
KY is insane as well, I'm paying $1000 a year for two cars that I already had to pay states sales tax on when I bought them
View Quote

And that are most likely depreciating faster than what their "book value" is on them for personal property taxes.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:06:06 AM EDT
[#43]
I had MT plates for years.  But I lived in Montana.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:28:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Paul:
ITT we learn about insurance fraud.
View Quote

Or we learn those with seven figure car collections have a Grundy or comparable collector policy.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:36:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CryptoMan] [#45]
I bought a motorcycle in Montana on a cross country trip.  It was simple. No hidden fees or taxes to pay.  Get money approved, discuss trade, insurance, sign here, temp tag, and done.

Get home to NC and the fees and fun started.  At one point the DMV didn't know what to do.  The lady didn't understand that I didn't pay any taxes to the sate of Montana. NC got their fair share and they still do every year.

I understand why people get tired of paying DMV fees.  It is extortion.

For the record, before anyone accuses me of anything.  My vehicles are legally registered and insured in my state of residence
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:48:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By callgood:
If the vehicle is registered in Montana but the individual has a D/L issued by another state?
View Quote

this is how we know you have never been out of a basement
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:52:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By FreeAmerican:

There was a recent podcast on RV Miles (I think) about this subject.  A lot of full timers do this and it was reported that a number of states were cracking down.  Even to the point of questioning campground staff to rat on out of stat RVers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWNC2VPquqg
View Quote

who the hell never goes out of state with their RV.  Of course a campground is going to be full of out of state plates

that is stupid as hell
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By big_sti:
View Quote

AL isn't far behind.

When I bought my truck in 2011 and went to the DMV to get a tag for it, it cost me over $500. Granted that was with the initial extra fee of registering a new vehicle, but it wasn't really THAT much of the total cost. The following year, it was still over $400. It's down to just over $180, now. The cost of tags in AL is based on the assessed value of the vehicle. Vanity plates are an additional $50, so the actual cost of my tag would be just over $130 if I didn't have a vanity plate (I have a DTOM plate).

When I lived in Washington (state) for a short while, I went to get Washington plates for the car I had at that time ('93 Accord). The plates, both front and back, cost me $25. When she told me the amount, I just looked at her and said, "Are you sure? Just $25?" She said, "Yep. That's it. Should it be different?" I went on to tell her how it works in AL and she had this look of horror on her face at how much people were paying. She just said, "Well, here we only charge $25 for everybody." Also, I was in an auto parts store...not the DMV. It was some little kiosk/desk thing with a lone person sitting behind a desk handing out tags or stickers.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:07:01 AM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pantexan:
NV and CO have high vehicle registration costs .

I see probably 3/10 cars in CO with expired plates. The penalty is a $100 max civil infraction. If your registration fees are $500+, you can easily justify a few of those tickets a year. Also, LE is stretched so thin around here that I haven't seen anyone conduct an actual traffic stop in months.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top