Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:55:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6172crew] [#1]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:11:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Utahshooting:

Tanks and Navies most definitely still have a place. Russia and Ukraine seem to have no sense of combined arms, leaving their vehicles to be undefended targets.

Our tech and tactics are a generation ahead of them.
View Quote

Tanks are obsolete.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:16:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Can it go fast?  Going fast is key to launching aircraft.

40kn over the bow helps a ton.

Being a steam ship of sorts leads me to think it is fuel hungry.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:17:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:21:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:30:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By AZshooter71:
There will never be enough Chinese carriers in the world to stop the USN from going where it wants to go.
View Quote

Maybe, but DEI, EEO, Affirmative Action, gender fluidity, LGBTQ+, etc., in the US military will though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:34:09 AM EDT
[#7]
They need the carrier to "project power" or at least to be sent to collect loans that they have been making.  Next step is for the carrier to work up with their amphibs (which they have ben perfecting as well) so the nice people (idiots) who have been borrowing money from China understand the phrase "pay up or else".  Just like our Navy and Marines in the 1920's and 1930's.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:39:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By MADMAXXX:
You misspelled Nicaragun.

View Quote

Isn't that some sort of  joint Chinese Russian project???
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:46:32 AM EDT
[#9]
There will never be enough Chinese carriers in the world to stop the USN from going where it wants to go.
View Quote

If we follow the trajectory of the last fifteen years, you'll be proven wrong eventually.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:52:40 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Yeah,  thier carriers arent supposed to go up against ours.  And they have already made the east china sea a place our carriers wont go if they dont want them to.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:15:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:
Can it go fast?  Going fast is key to launching aircraft.

40kn over the bow helps a ton.

Being a steam ship of sorts leads me to think it is fuel hungry.
View Quote

40 Knots over the bow? That’s not what our CVs do.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:32:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Krombompulos_Michael] [#12]
Originally Posted By OscarD:

I wouldn’t take that bet.

China churns out magnitudes more ships than the US these days and is matching our defense budget all while we fund them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By OscarD:

I wouldn’t take that bet.

China churns out magnitudes more ships than the US these days and is matching our defense budget all while we fund them.

The Fujian was laid down March 2015 and Launched June 2022; 7+ years.  It is the only one planned.

The Gerald R. Ford was laid down November 2009 and launched October 2013; a little under 4 years.  10 are planned, 2 more are being built currently.  The US had 11 nuclear supercarriers in operation.  

China isn’t churning out anything en masse but shitty littoral ships.  The Fujian isn’t even nuclear and can only deploy for 45 days at a time.  The Gerald R. Ford just returned from a 10 month deployment and could have gone longer but her crew does need rest.  China’s harbor freight carrier is lacking, but not nearly as bad as their capacity to run carrier operations which the US has been doing for over 100 years.  

But muh hypersonic missiles.  Whatever.  China still can’t project force like the US can and won’t be able to for decades.

ETA:  Guided missile destroyers?  US: 73 built, 92 planned.  China: 8 built, 16 planned.  What exactly is China churning out?  Inflatable rafts for swimming pools?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Whamo:

40 Knots over the bow? That’s not what our CVs do.
View Quote

CVNs are some of the fastest in the fleet.

I have read 40kn. Having no experience on one I don’t know the facts.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:58:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xd341] [#14]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

CVNs are some of the fastest in the fleet.

I have read 40kn. Having no experience on one I don't know the facts.
View Quote
at least. They don't pay you to save the neutrons.

That's what they are capable of supposedly, not what they typically use to conduct flight ops.  In fact I wouldn't want to be on deck going that fast.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Carriers? No

Other stuff? Yes
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Regardless of what China or any nation is doing, the US is spending too much on old people and too little on military and infrastructure.

Cement and steel not Depends, insulin, and hip surgery.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:14:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNgan] [#17]
FYI, the Chinese state ship building industry has 200 Ukrainian Naval designers in retainer since the fall of the Soviet Union.

Some of those are the 3rd generation of the family that are holding the spot.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top