Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:30:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Raccoon wandered on to our property.  It looked punch drunk.  Kept falling over and when it could walk more than a few steps it was weaving back and forth.  It would try to go after anyone that was close, but kept falling over.  My tractor gun, an old .410 shotgun, took care of it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:39:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Shot two coyotes at separate times ar work that were rabid....if meth had an animal it would have been them
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:51:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:
Rabid dog my grandpa sprayed it with water in the face to keep it away.  Rabid animals are hydrophobic I later learned in life.
View Quote

That doesn't mean what you think it means.

Rabid animals lose control of the muscles in their throats, and so they start choking when they try to drink or eat, and freak out about the choking.  "Hydrophobia" is just the name people gave to the way rabid animals behaved around water as a result.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:55:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Had to get the rabies vaccine because of a rabid raccoon.

Turns out brain matter misted into all your facial mucous membranes is no bueno when it comes to rabies transmission.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:00:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Very skinny raccoon a few years out in broad daylight. Lots of fur loss, milky white eyes (very opaque) and could hardly walk straight.

Distemper? Rabies?

Didn't matter. A few shots to the noggin from a Ruger 1022 put the critter out of his misery.

Called animal control a few times and left a message explaining the situation.  Never got a call back.

Ended up triple bagging the SOB and putting his nasy ass in a dumpster.

Bleach cleanup for the shovel and the kill shot area commenced.

Lost a good pair of work gloves too.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:33:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 338winmag] [#6]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:
Had to get the rabies vaccine because of a rabid raccoon.

Turns out brain matter misted into all your facial mucous membranes is no bueno when it comes to rabies transmission.
View Quote

Did you have to get the rabies antigen, or just the 4 shot series?  If so, how did they give it to you?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:46:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sebastian_MacMaine] [#7]
Originally Posted By 338winmag:
Did you have to get the rabies antigen, or just the 4 shot series?  If so, how did they give it to you?
View Quote

It's five of the vaccine.  They inject ("infiltrate") as much as possible of the rabies immunoglobulin around the bite/wound site if there is one (and if treatment is timely -- I was told it has to be administered within three days);  I don't know how they'd do it for his eyeballs or nose.  Whatever they can't put around the injury just gets injected into a muscle somewhere other than the vaccination site (upper arms for me).
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:56:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Sebastian_MacMaine:

It's five of the vaccine.  They inject the rabies immunoglobulin around the bite site if there is one (and if treatment is timely -- I was told it has to be administered within three days);  I don't know how they'd do it for his eyeballs or nose.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It's five of the vaccine.  They inject the rabies immunoglobulin around the bite site if there is one (and if treatment is timely -- I was told it has to be administered within three days);  I don't know how they'd do it for his eyeballs or nose.

It was Immunoglobulin in one thigh and a secondary shot in the other thigh when I initially went to the ER, then a series of 4 more shots spaced out over the next 2 months.  

It’s been a number of years since this happened so I don’t totally remember what they all were.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:
It was Immunoglobulin in one thigh and a secondary shot in the other thigh when I initially went to the ER, then a series of 4 more shots spaced out over the next 2 months.
View Quote

That long?  Mine were day 0, day 3, day 7, day 14, and day 28.  I made it to the ER about an hour after getting nibbled on, then had to fight with the quacks on day 3 about the HRIG.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Rabies no, distemper yes.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:02:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Dixie2009:

A rabid opossum is rare. Their body temp is very low and they aren’t known to be carriers. Have a lot of them here.
View Quote

a rabid opossum is not rare...it's impossible
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By VinceU1:
My brother got bit by a rabid 'possum.  He was running his trap line and it was in one of his traps.  After he shot the thing 9 times (at least that all the times he claimed to have shot it.), he got himself and the thing to an ER.  They tested it but he still got to take all the shots.  He was not impressed.
View Quote

There has never been a recorded case of an opossum having rabies. Primarily because they are immune to it due to their low body temperature.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:09:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pale_pony] [#13]
we had a racoon stumble up onto our lawn in the heat of the afternoon sun, out of the treeline that separates the back pasture from the house

It would just lay there, looking around, then it would get up again and walk slowly and wobbly

I got a camera on it and zoomed in tight from the safety of my office window. After watching it about a minute it was easy to see the little guy was suffering. His front leg was obviously withered and caked with dried blood. The racoon would stop every few feet and chew on what was left of the leg and paw. When I walked out to it, it did not try to run. When I got closer it just stared at me and hissed like a cat.

I did the necessaries and even called a friend who is a state Game Warden and asked him about it. His reply was it was probably distemper and if it was near livestock, pets or people, shoot it, shoot it, shoot it...and bury it somewhere your dogs can't dig it up
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:09:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I’ve seen two years apart, both were porcupines.  One in a park walking like a drunken sailor in broad daylight and the other stumbled out into the road in front of me on a side road near my house.  It also walked like a drunken sailor.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:10:39 AM EDT
[#15]
See them all the time in a pro or anti Trump thread

Alot rabid critters on both sides concerning Trump
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Rabid manatees are a threat around here
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Yep.  As a yute, a GSD attacked my girlfriend, and I kicked it's snout really hard....the folks at the hospital ended up sending someone (no idea what agency it was) to follow it's blood trail, and contain it.  They found it bled to death, but found out that it was rabid.  Sherette had to go through the big shots in the tummy for a little while.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Had a fox show up that we thought was rabid. It was back in the early 90s and we got home from college about 4pm. Dad was sitting in the kitchen and heard something in the carport. He looked out and saw a fox running in circles he said in the carport. Well he goes to get my pistol and the fox runs back out and towards the woods. We pull in right at that moment and Granny comes outside of her house. Dad hollers stay over there I think this fox is rabid and starts to get a little closer. Granny hollers "Uncle Henry got chased up a tree one time by a rabid fox!". He was an old fox hunter. Dad just comes over and get in my car and drives up to it and shoots it. Game Warden gets there in about an hour, cuts the head off and says if we wear gloves we should be ok to bury it up in the woods. Got a letter in a couple of weeks that it did in fact have rabies.

Sidenote, that was the first fox I'd ever seen in real life.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:59:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Saw a gray fox acting disoriented in the day time repeatedly opening and closing its mouth which I have heard is a symptom of rabies... I was on a public road so I did not put it down as I live in a gun unfriendly state
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes.  Racoons, opossums, more racoons.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:36:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I’ve had to euthanize and necropsy several horses over the years with confirmed rabies.  Worst one was early in my career, put it down on Christmas Day 1994 and drove a bone fragment surrounding the brain into my finger while removing the brain.  Not to mention, I had been handling/treating that horse for several days prior to its acute neurological decline, so already had plenty of exposure.

Came back positive for rabies.  While I had been vaccinated, it had been some years prior, and I didn’t know if my titer was high enough.  At the time, the only place that would run my titer was KS State, and their lab was close until after the new year.  Taking the post-exposure treatment could cause serum sickness and serious complications if my titer was high, so I had to wait it out, knowing if my titer was too low to protect me I would likely die, as it would be too late to treat that long post-exposure.

I weighed 160 on Christmas Day, and 140 on Jan 5 when I got my results back…
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:00:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Just once… ‘‘twas when I was still a boy.  My father was off on a cattle drive so I was left to be man of the house. I was out doing young boy stuff with my lab when a bear attacked.  That pup fought like hell to save and chase off the bear but got pretty messed up in the process.  It didn’t take long before he was growling and snarling like a wild animal at all of us.  Mama said he had the rabies and was going to put him down, but I said “No mama, he's my dog, I'll do it".  I didn’t want to but knew I had no choice.  I laid him to rest with my shotgun.  It broke my heart more than I could have ever imagined.  The only solace I came away with was knowing there was no other choice.  That and one of the pups from a litter he fathered were what gave me comfort.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I saw a raccoon staggering down the road edge, across from our house at around noon. I got the shotgun out and put it by the front door, just in case.

As my wife pulled into our driveway, bringing our daughter home from school, the raccoon staggered and lurched across our front yard, charging her truck.

I grabbed the shotgun and stepped out onto the front porch and yelled at my girls to stay in the truck. My wife looked confused and started to open her door, and I yelled again "STAY IN THE DAMNED TRUCK!!!".

The coon was about a yard off the back bumper on the drivers side when a 12 gage load of high brass #4s cured it's ass.  

After the girls were in the house, I used a shovel to put the carcass into a double trash bag and put it in the trash can at the curb. Cleaned up the shovel and blood pool with bleach and hot water solution.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a relative who got bit by a rabid fox a couple years ago. Explains some of their behavior now…
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#25]
A saw a bat in a hangar that was flying around clumsily in broad daylight, close to where I was working. I gave it a wide berth...
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:06:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I’d always heard that it was extremely rare for a possum to contract rabies from another rabid animal due to their body temperature being just a little lower than what the virus needs to replicate in. Was told by a vet after my dog killed a skunk and had been bitten that there’s no point in testing the skunk since the majority of them are already carrying the virus. Pretty much need to just assume all skunks, bats and raccoons are carrying the virus if you get a bite or body fluid exposure and act accordingly.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:09:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grumpalicious] [#27]
Yeah, racoon, but it chose a really bad place to get it on. It was at the gun range. It came out of the bushes, all snarly with fur standing up, kept heading right at people. Took 3 rounds of .44 from the range officer before going down and staying down.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:30:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Shot a rabid raccoon many years ago, it was not a happy critter.  Saw another in the middle of the road on the double yellow line, went past it and looking in the mirror the 18 wheeler going the other way flattened it.  

It literally was doing this in the middle of the road  

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:35:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:
Every time I see a democrat.
View Quote

My plan was to read thread until this. Success!
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:52:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Racoon in Arlington va about 30 years ago

Middle of the day and it was growling and coming at me from across the street

It went under a car and hunkered down

Called animal control but they never came

Then again same house

Goddamn racoon wanted into the house tk fight the Lil dogs

Animal control there is useless

But here in the country it's scary

Kitten down the road had it

Town of front royal had a cat in a cage with rabies at  a barn with cats

All got put down

2 bat's ( 1 front royal 1 Berryville va )

And my neck of the woods

A fucking deer with rabies

I have a racoon af home I tend to the last few year

He eats and goes away to kill the rodents around

But the day roscoe is acting funny

He get a send off
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By VinceU1:
My brother got bit by a rabid 'possum.  He was running his trap line and it was in one of his traps.  After he shot the thing 9 times (at least that all the times he claimed to have shot it.), he got himself and the thing to an ER.  They tested it but he still got to take all the shots.  He was not impressed.
View Quote
Are you saying they tested it, and it was negative and he took the shots anyway?

Probably not a bad idea.

But I remember reading somewhere one time that a possum is very unlikely to carry rabies due to their body temperature being much cooler than normal mammals.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:28:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 338winmag] [#32]

It's five of the vaccine.  They inject ("infiltrate") as much as possible of the rabies immunoglobulin around the bite/wound site if there is one (and if treatment is timely -- I was told it has to be administered within three days);  I don't know how they'd do it for his eyeballs or nose.  Whatever they can't put around the injury just gets injected into a muscle somewhere other than the vaccination site (upper arms for me).
View All Quotes

I got the rabies immunoglobulin in8 locations. That shit hurt. Then the vaccine in alternating upper arms.
I asked the nurse giving me the vaccine if I was going to get a tag like my dogs get. She gave me a weird look and told me no.
I also asked how long the vaccine was good for, was told they didn’t know. I was told that if I wanted to know more, I should probably look it up on the CDC website.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:01:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 917-30] [#33]
Originally Posted By PewPewPew1212:
Just once… ‘‘twas when I was still a boy.  My father was off on a cattle drive so I was left to be man of the house. I was out doing young boy stuff with my lab when a bear attacked.  That pup fought like hell to save and chase off the bear but got pretty messed up in the process.  It didn’t take long before he was growling and snarling like a wild animal at all of us.  Mama said he had the rabies and was going to put him down, but I said “No mama, he's my dog, I'll do it".  I didn’t want to but knew I had no choice.  I laid him to rest with my shotgun.  It broke my heart more than I could have ever imagined.  The only solace I came away with was knowing there was no other choice.  That and one of the pups from a litter he fathered were what gave me comfort.
View Quote

Travis?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:24:45 AM EDT
[#34]
I also asked how long the vaccine was good for, was told they didn’t know. I was told that if I wanted to know more, I should probably look it up on the CDC website.
View Quote

Officially two years, but it can last longer.  Someone earlier in the thread mentioned getting your "titers" checked to see if you're still immune.

I wasn't aware that getting boosted while it's still effective can be risky.  Still wish I'd gotten a booster series recently.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:37:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By wgjhsafT:
Yes.  Racoons, opossums, more racoons.
View Quote

You have not seen a rabid opossum.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:43:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Yes in the gravel road in front of the house. Squirrel acting stupid couldn't stand up and running into people. Shot it buried it in a metal container and bleached the spot in the road.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:15:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By kbi:
Racoon in Arlington va about 30 years ago

Middle of the day and it was growling and coming at me from across the street

It went under a car and hunkered down

Called animal control but they never came

Then again same house

Goddamn racoon wanted into the house tk fight the Lil dogs

Animal control there is useless

But here in the country it's scary

Kitten down the road had it

Town of front royal had a cat in a cage with rabies at  a barn with cats

All got put down

2 bat's ( 1 front royal 1 Berryville va )

And my neck of the woods

A fucking deer with rabies

I have a racoon af home I tend to the last few year

He eats and goes away to kill the rodents around

But the day roscoe is acting funny

He get a send off
View Quote

You sure the deer had rabies? Because late stage CWD is more common and cam cause very similar behavior.

Either way it would be a good one to put down for sure!
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:00:58 AM EDT
[#38]
At the club last year. Was just leaving after doing some work and a small raccoon was just off the drive all balled up.
Nothing to kill it with so I called the club president and left a vm.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:58:19 AM EDT
[#39]

Officially two years, but it can last longer.  Someone earlier in the thread mentioned getting your "titers" checked to see if you're still immune.

I wasn't aware that getting boosted while it's still effective can be risky.  Still wish I'd gotten a booster series recently.
View All Quotes

How do you get it checked?  I have a feeling if I ask my primary to check it the next time I see him, all I’m going to get is a dumb look.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#40]

How do you get it checked?  I have a feeling if I ask my primary to check it the next time I see him, all I’m going to get is a dumb look.
View Quote

You could call your state's health commission and ask them specifically, but Kansas State University lab used to be the only place that ran rabies titers.  It's been a while since I had mine run last (I think 2014) and I looked but can't find the records.  That would be a good place to start, their Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Lab.  If they don't do it, I bet they would know who does nowadays.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:13:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mark5pt56] [#41]
Two foxes and a Raccoon. I grew up on a big dairy farm, upstate NY. One summer morning after getting the cows in for milking, I heard a commotion on the opposite side(4 rows) At the time I was spreading out hay  and had a pitchfork. When I came around the corner, the one cow was trying to get out of the stanchion when I noticed a fox, very skinny, missing splotches of hair, etc. snapping at the cow. It seemed un phased as I approached and stuck the fork into it, pinned him until dead. As a precaution, we called the vet who confirmed the fox was rabid and the cow was not bitten.
It's usually pretty obvious with odd behavior, aggression, appearance and not afraid of people.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Thought a GF in college had rabies but it turned out it was just a super period as she and her suite mates started cycling together.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:37:45 PM EDT
[#43]
I once saw a rabid raccoon staggering around in circles in the middle of a WV cow field while leading a cave trip. Told the farmer about it and he said he'd take care of it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Seen a couple of zombie coons. Not good.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Treated a dog once that died and was diagnosed with rabies. No bite but I had his saliva on me. Had to get prophylactic shots, only 2 because I've been vaccinated for rabies.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top