BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:53:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FireMissionDivision:
They got enough rice here to feed a whole fucking regiment.
View Quote

You see his head come apart, man?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:55:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Verde:

Eyeball to eyeball

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Verde:
Originally Posted By spork:
The man in the black pajamas,

Worthy fuckin adversary.

Eyeball to eyeball

Dying face down in the muck.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:58:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Long pig?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:59:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By dogsplat:

Charlie didn't get much USO. He was dug in too deep or moving too fast. His idea of great R&R was cold rice and a little rat meat. He had only two ways home: death, or victory.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Ming_The_Merciless:

NVA definitely looked down on VC as being more "suspect" (that they may have agents or counter-revolutionaries).  NVA troops had been raised in "Communism" since 1954.

The Tet offensive in 1968 basically destroyed the fighting abilities of most VC units when they went up in the open against superior US firepower.

The offensive was undertaken in the hope of triggering a general uprising, but urban Vietnamese did not respond as the Viet Cong anticipated. About 75,000 communist soldiers were killed or wounded, according to Trần Văn Trà, commander of the "B-2" district, which consisted of southern South Vietnam. "We did not base ourselves on scientific calculation or a careful weighing of all factors, but...on an illusion based on our subjective desires", Trà concluded. Earle G. Wheeler, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, estimated that Tet resulted in 40,000 communist dead (compared to about 10,600 U.S. and South Vietnamese dead). "It is a major irony of the Vietnam War that our propaganda transformed this debacle into a brilliant victory. The truth was that Tet cost us half our forces. Our losses were so immense that we were unable to replace them with new recruits", said PRG Justice Minister Trương Như Tảng

The VC were massacred wholesale in Tet and as a result and the NVA then took the lead in the war all the way to driving their tanks into the Presidential Palace in Saigon in 1975.  Many of the VC have hard feelings about how the NVA treated the VC after Tet & especially after the war (as an nearly unmentioned afterthought).  

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:33:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Windustsearch] [#6]
Originally Posted By JarheadPatriot:
But did they eat only rice?
View Quote
No.  You can't eat only rice.  It would be beri beri bad.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Butternut:
They sure were some tough little buggers.
View Quote

They were the true believers.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:11:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:
Originally Posted By FireMissionDivision:
They got enough rice here to feed a whole fucking regiment.

Once or twice
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:17:46 PM EDT
[#9]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AA717driver:

Charlie didn't get much USO. He was dug in too deep or moving too fast. His idea of great R&R was cold rice and a little rat meat. He had only two ways home: death, or victory.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/197999/IMG_7232_jpeg-3206538.JPG

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:18:01 PM EDT
[#10]

interesting page, i didnt know that tuesday was 70th anniversary of the Dien Bien Phu Victory.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:20:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SirSqueeboo] [#11]
Originally Posted By rgb03:
My dad was the same with rice.
He said he'd never eat rice again as long as he lived.
The man told no lie
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rgb03:
Originally Posted By shaneus:
A buddy (RIP Jerry), was  viet nam vet and refused to eat rice.  He told me he had seen too much spilled from ripped open guts to ever eat it again.

Also told me that we had hot meals, showers, good gear and training.  And they ran around in flip flops with dry rice in a tube sock with a knot tied in it as their rations.  And still were terrors cause they were motivated.
My dad was the same with rice.
He said he'd never eat rice again as long as he lived.
The man told no lie

My dad didn’t like rice until he went there.

Thinking back I wish I asked him why that was.  Knowing him, it was probably because he was eating the food of the enemy.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:38:46 AM EDT
[#12]
They ate canned ham and motherfucker, and canned scrambled egg c rats that the GIs tossed. That's why they were so pissed off and fought hard.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:55:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NY12ga] [#13]
Originally Posted By DonKey153:
Protein is a problem in SE Asia during peacetime. Can't imagine what they got up to during the war.
View Quote

Long pig?

ETA: beat!
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:40:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 9divdoc:
We got hot food, showers, good gear & equipment?

News to me.
View Quote

You must have been on the wrong Firebase  The one Ann Margeret showed up at....
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:47:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Why wouldn't they eat the fruits, vegetables, and meat they raised?

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:48:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 1975:

Never knew they put fish in rice paddies. Interesting.
View Quote
Fish, frogs, and even the bugs all get eaten.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:53:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Not too many fish in the highlands and rice paddies so I’m assuming it was mostly rice. Pretty amazing that they could conduct a guerrilla war on just that.
View Quote

Rice is deficient in lysine and threonine, and also thiamine since it is stored in the inedible part of the seed.  So unless you supplement with a legume (soybean) or meat/eggs/dairy, you will eventually have severe health problems.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:57:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Hamburger Hill (3/10) Movie CLIP - This Is Han (1987) HD
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:57:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9divdoc] [#19]
Down in the MD they also lived off the ARVN and sympathetic govt officials who acted as double agents...
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:01:35 AM EDT
[#20]
fish / dried fish too
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:05:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Nick_Adams] [#21]
Not too many fish in the highlands and rice paddies so I’m assuming it was mostly rice. Pretty amazing that they could conduct a guerrilla war on just that.
View Quote

Rice … and rat meat.

The rats over there, in the country or city, are about the size of large cats.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:08:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Papaw:

Smart commanders would either booby-trap the trash or set up an ambush around it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Papaw:
Originally Posted By Into_the_Void:
To add to my previous post, my grandfather said almost every VC he killed had American food in his pack.

Smart commanders would either booby-trap the trash or set up an ambush around it.

That's exactly what my grandfather and his marines did.  

One of the very few stories he has shared is letting the food thieves get about halfway through the piles of concertina wire and lighting them up with a mk18.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:21:53 AM EDT
[#23]

No kidding. What a globalist scumbag he was.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:28:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Whiskey1Alpha:
They ate meals. Succulent Chinese meals.
View Quote
Democracy manifest.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:29:43 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Came here to post this 😁
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:27:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1975] [#26]
Originally Posted By Into_the_Void:

That's exactly what my grandfather and his marines did.  

One of the very few stories he has shared is letting the food thieves get about halfway through the piles of concertina wire and lighting them up with a mk18.
View Quote

That would be stunning to watch. Those old Honeywell Mk18 Mod 0s were cool.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:51:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Maybe, but now they live on KFC/BK and whatever they get outta 7-11/Circle K.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:03:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By osprey21:
Rice, manioc, bananas, papayas and all the fish they needed from the rice swamps.
View Quote

bananas alone will feed you just fine, they have different varieties of bananas most americans have never even heard of
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By MattyMattel:
Maybe, but now they live on KFC/BK and whatever they get outta 7-11/Circle K.
View Quote

I got stuck with rice and fish for lunch today.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Some lived on it, lots died on it…..
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:22:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#32]
Rice, local veggies and fruits, fish, they hunted... Even the NVA hunted. The VC pretty much stuck to their areas and had village support or lived in the village. There were different types of VC.

Re: The VC in Tet, they were thrown in to diminish the numbers (also, the save better trained NVA). Can't have an armed indigenous group in a country you are going to take over. The NVA would throw them first into attacks on firebases even before 1968.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Makarov:
Don’t know about Vietnam during the 1960s, but stocking fish in rice paddies has been a thing for a long time. The fish eat bugs that can harm the rice crop, as well as mosquito larvae then excrete Nitrogen rich waste which feeds the plants. When the rice is harvested, the fish are a bonus crop.  

In Nepal, they would add bags with thousands of Shad fry when the fields were flooded. When they were harvested, they were about 2” long and they would dry them whole with a curry powder to preserve them without refrigeration. The smelled awful, they tasted awful and gave you awful breath and BO but they were a great source of cheap protein for people that region.

They do crawfish here in the States.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:58:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Pallas:
Rice, local veggies and fruits, fish, they hunted... Even the NVA hunted. The VC pretty much stuck to their areas and had village support or lived in the village. There were different types of VC.

Re: The VC in Tet, they were thrown in to diminish the numbers (also, the save better trained NVA). Can't have an armed indigenous group in a country you are going to take over. The NVA would throw them first into attacks on firebases even before 1968.
View Quote

I’ve been studying the Vietnam war for almost 30 years and never knew there was such animosity between the NVA and VC.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By jestice75:
Not VC, but my wife's uncle was NVA in the US war and her dad was pulled out of high school to fight China in the late 70's. Even though the NVA was better supplied, I think she said they talked about just eating rice with some seasoning. In Vietnamese, when they ask if you ate dinner yet, it literally translates to "did you eat rice yet".
View Quote

It's the same in Chinese to eat and rice are the same word
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:02:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By GutWrench:

Charlie don’t get much ISO. He was dug in too deep or moving too fast. His idea of great R&R was cold rice and a little rat meat. He had only two ways home, death, or victory.
View Quote

Brb, rebuilding the Do Long Bridge
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By TailHunter:

It's the same in Chinese to eat and rice are the same word
View Quote

Same in Thai, the word for food is cow, which is the word for rice

And in Korean the phrase for how are you doing, is the same for have you eaten.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#38]
I know a lady who was a teenager in Hanoi during the Vietnam war. She said they lived on moldy rice and any animals they could catch in the streets, meaning rats.

If it was that bad in the cities, I doubt it was any better anywhere else.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By GutWrench:

Charlie don’t get much ISO. He was dug in too deep or moving too fast. His idea of great R&R was cold rice and a little rat meat. He had only two ways home, death, or victory.
View Quote

I came here for this.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:22:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By TontoGoldstein:
I know a usmc vet with three VN tours, two on the ground and one in the air as a forward air observer.

What he saw has given him a searing hatred of VC.

He said he would sit down with an NVA vet and talk. He said he would cut the throat of Victor Charlie.
*SNIP*
View Quote

I just remember in the 2000's a good friend screaming, "VC killed my family!"

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

LOL Asians only eat fish, lol.
Chicken? Beef? Pork? Nope!
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:56:17 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

That, and Charlie don’t surf.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:03:37 PM EDT
[#43]
View All Quotes
I know a usmc vet with three VN tours, two on the ground and one in the air as a forward air observer.

He said he would sit down with an NVA vet and talk. He said he would cut the throat of Victor Charlie.

BTW, he was robbed by four armed  men wearing hoodies at his shop. He opened fire. Three ran away. One bled all over the sidewalk and later died in jail from his GSW.

Quiet guy. Real bad ass.

Some here, just last week said rice was shit food and it was often eaten with other food that gave people the need nutrients.
So probably no if you were to believe GD
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#44]

BTW, he was robbed by four armed  men wearing hoodies at his shop. He opened fire. Three ran away. One bled all over the sidewalk and later died in jail from his GSW.

Quiet guy. Real bad ass.
View Quote

this is what ive heard more than one vn viet say. they hated the VC, respected the NVA regulars. i guess because the NVA where regular soldiers with uniforms and fought well. you never knew who in a village was vc and they would do ambushes, dig pits with punji sticks, attack and then become 'peaceful villagers'.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:53:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Makarov:

Don't know about Vietnam during the 1960s, but stocking fish in rice paddies has been a thing for a long time. The fish eat bugs that can harm the rice crop, as well as mosquito larvae then excrete Nitrogen rich waste which feeds the plants. When the rice is harvested, the fish are a bonus crop.  

In Nepal, they would add bags with thousands of Shad fry when the fields were flooded. When they were harvested, they were about 2" long and they would dry them whole with a curry powder to preserve them without refrigeration. The smelled awful, they tasted awful and gave you awful breath and BO but they were a great source of cheap protein for people that region.
View Quote

Fascinating.

I must admit, after having spent so much time researching and writing about the war, this question never once occurred to me to think about or ask, I'm sorry to say.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Ming_The_Merciless:

NVA definitely looked down on VC as being more "suspect" (that they may have agents or counter-revolutionaries).  NVA troops had been raised in "Communism" since 1954.

The Tet offensive in 1968 basically destroyed the fighting abilities of most VC units when they went up in the open against superior US firepower.

The offensive was undertaken in the hope of triggering a general uprising, but urban Vietnamese did not respond as the Viet Cong anticipated. About 75,000 communist soldiers were killed or wounded, according to Tr n V n Tr , commander of the "B-2" district, which consisted of southern South Vietnam. "We did not base ourselves on scientific calculation or a careful weighing of all factors, but...on an illusion based on our subjective desires", Tr  concluded. Earle G. Wheeler, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, estimated that Tet resulted in 40,000 communist dead (compared to about 10,600 U.S. and South Vietnamese dead). "It is a major irony of the Vietnam War that our propaganda transformed this debacle into a brilliant victory. The truth was that Tet cost us half our forces. Our losses were so immense that we were unable to replace them with new recruits", said PRG Justice Minister Tr  ng Nh  T ng

The VC were massacred wholesale in Tet and as a result and the NVA then took the lead in the war all the way to driving their tanks into the Presidential Palace in Saigon in 1975.  Many of the VC have hard feelings about how the NVA treated the VC after Tet & especially after the war (as an nearly unmentioned afterthought).
View Quote

This is correct. The NVA wanted complete control of the war from the beginning, but needed the VC out of the way first.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:29:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Again, my source is a 'Nam era Ranger, he said they would give the VC an SKS, two 10 round stripper clips of ammo, and a bag of rice about the size of a grapefruit, and send them out into the jungle for two weeks at a time. That was it, nothing more.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:55:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By devildog3062:

Some here, just last week said rice was shit food and it was often eaten with other food that gave people the need nutrients.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By devildog3062:

Quiet guy. Real bad ass.

I put away a few hundred pounds of Basmati rice in mylar bags in buckets for SHTF.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

Clicked thread expecting to see this; was not disappointed.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:09:50 PM EDT
[#50]
they also farmed in Laos and other places near the Trail.   specifically for the NVA/VC  no villages there before for the most part.
Page / 3
Top Top