Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:59:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Our grandparents got filthy and dirty everyday at work and they still wore a suit to church every Sunday, and would never go to a funeral or wedding without wearing a suit.  They understood that you don't dress up for yourself, you dress up out of respect for other people.

This trend toward casual and sloppy clothing by choice to make a statement is really sad.  I blame Steve Jobs and the tech bros for taking it mainstream.  I can't remember the last time I saw a man (under 60) dressed even nicely in church, forget about in a suit.  Even the pastor wears shorts and a Hawaiian shirt.

People have lost all sense of respect and reverence.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:59:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bohr_Adam] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Willmar:
Fashion threads in GD are always fun

https://i.postimg.cc/3NQGh5Rc/IMG-3391.gif
View Quote

The suit buying threads are more fun than this one, as we get not only the "down with the bourgeoisie" or "I do what I want" fashion sentiments but also the "buy a used Armani from eBay and get it tailored" posts. The latter are my favorites.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:05:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I worked middle management in the automotive supply chain for decades before I retired.
I had a good suit (actually custom made by a local tailor) but I don't recall ever wearing it for any work related activities except job interviews.
Even presenting to automotive assembly plant general managers (customers) I wore dress slacks, collared shirts, and a sport coat.
Generally my work attire was khakis and a polo shirt.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By CMiller:
Our grandparents got filthy and dirty everyday at work and they still wore a suit to church every Sunday, and would never go to a funeral or wedding without wearing a suit.  They understood that you don't dress up for yourself, you dress up out of respect for other people.

This trend toward casual and sloppy clothing by choice to make a statement is really sad.  I blame Steve Jobs and the tech bros for taking it mainstream.  I can't remember the last time I saw a man (under 60) dressed even nicely in church, forget about in a suit.  Even the pastor wears shorts and a Hawaiian shirt.

People have lost all sense of respect and reverence.
View Quote

That's why I put pants on in public.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:12:01 PM EDT
[#5]
The last wedding I went to was Hawaiian themed.

The last two spreading of ashes at sea were my dad and my brother. I wore one then too.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:13:23 PM EDT
[#6]
What’s with all this sudden Pride in not owning a suit?      What do you wear to weddings and funerals?  

Is this some goofy new internet fad, like the Bear thing currently going around feminazi circles?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m in educational sales and wear a blazer or a sport coat often but rarely a suit. I’ve lost a bunch of weight recently and don’t own a suit that fits currently.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Healthcare.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:21:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Let's just say I wear a dickies work shirt, jeans and timberland boots everyday.

My daughter had an award program in college last and I had to do a short rebuttal at a city hall meeting room this week for a committee in a big city.

I have a dark gray sport jacket with a muted plaid pattern I bought a couple of months ago at Burlington Coat Factory for $100. It's probably more trendy to what you see the TV broadcasters wear. Still a dark color, conservative. I've been wearing it with either a white or colored short sleeve shirt, some fancy jeans and boots.

That was pretty much on par at both events. Very few people wore ties. Some people wore nicer pants and some people didn't have jackets. I don't recall anyone wearing a 3 piece suit. Summer is coming on, it's getting hot.

So it's not that much of a stretch to look a be nicer if you're trying to fit in.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:23:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Aircraft mechanic. I own the company. 5.11s and a polo shirt everyday unless I have to work in the hangar…then a company t-shirt….last suit I wore was to my father’s funeral 18 months ago….the only other one that I will wear is to my daughter’s wedding this June…
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Threads like this make me weep for my country

None of y'all have the need to own a suit? A wedding? A funeral? An interview for your next 7 figure job? Nothing?!?!??!

This place is filled with milionaires that don't own suits
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:33:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HourOfAngle] [#12]
Self employed and work at home. Can wear whatever I want. Jeans and a polo or whatever when I visit a customers shop.

I do own a few suits. Weddings, funerals, and for a while I was paid to visit the bank and update them on the credit line for the company I was contracting to. Pretty simple, walk in, 5 minute meeting, walk out and the bank was only a few minutes from where I was staying when I was on that contract.

Was surprised in college we were required to attend a number of out of state presentations/symposiums. Tie required, surprised at the number of people that had never wore a tie. One of the professors had several and would loan them to people that literally wouldn't go buy "A"  tie so they could graduate. It was also required for the yearly banquet which you needed to attend and write a thank you to the CEO of the company that paid for 12 hours of tuition and room,board for the summer before graduation for all of our field work. People skipped it and either paid for it or their parents paid for it. Tie for less than an hour one day out of 4 years.

The last time I wore a suit the girlfriend and I went out and listened to Vivaldis Four Seasons.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:33:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: justsayin] [#13]
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:36:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I ranch/farm/cowboy. Wrangler jeans, pearl snaps and boots 95% of the time.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Diesel mechanic here. The fanciest I get is a pearl snap, some nice jeans and cowboy boots
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:36:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:43:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I drive forklifts, I don't own a suit.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:48:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I have one , but bought it when I was dying
New meds on the market fixed that but I unfortunately gained 40lbs so it doesn't fit anymore
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:51:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I work for a living therefore I do not wear a suit.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I hate any type of formal attire as much as most men, but I still maintain a variety of items so I can dress appropriately for different occasions.  

My work is a mixture of railroad (inside plant property) and industrial maintenance.  My daily wear, be in at work, at the grocery store, at home in the shop, or wherever, is jeans, boots, and a Dickies work shirt.  But I have a couple pairs of nice dress shoes, several pairs of dress pants, shirts, jackets, coats, etc.  to make sure I can dress appropriately if an event pops up.

Last week and this week are examples of too many of those rare events crammed into two weeks.  

Last week I had a College Cording Ceremony for Son 1, awards day for Son 1, and College Graduation for son 1.  Today was High School Baccalaureate for sons 1 and 2.  Wednesday is High School Awards Day for sons 1 and 2.  Then finally, Saturday is High School Graduation for sons 1 and 2.

None of those events, in my mind, are appropriate for jeans and a t-shirt.  Many see it differently, and that's cool too.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#22]
How can you other guys stand to wear a tie every day to work?  I mean who invented that useless thing?    Especially in the Florida heat and humidity.

I'm not sure if my two 2009-era  Men's Warehouse suits fit anymore....one navy blue and one off-white silk for summer.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:19:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_Sky] [#23]
I'm retired now and don't own a suit.
When I worked, I worked as an electronic engineer in the aerospace industry, but I never owned a suit for work and just wore work casual clothes (docker/polo shirt/etc. - and of course jeans on casual Fridays).

Me in my office back when I was working and surfing arfcom....

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#24]
I wear a suit 5 days a week. I like looking sharp so I wear custom.

I paid money for the Twink at Dillard’s to measure and order my stuff once. My sizes are now in the system and I don’t have to pay an up charge for custom. Buy a couple new custom pants and shirts a year. Jackets last a couple years.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:25:37 PM EDT
[#25]
I paint cars.  No suit needed.  At most I'll wear a dress shirt and tie if I have to go to something that requires it. But I will usually not go to anything like that.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:29:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Facilities manager for a server farm that belonged to the DoD.
Only suit I ever owned were dress blues in the Navy.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:30:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I couldn’t  marry a man who didn’t own a suit.  OTOH, I couldn’t marry a man who would marry a woman who didn’t own a comparable dress.  Being at ease in grown-up clothes is fundamental grown-up trait.

This whole I-gotta-be-me shit is gone too far.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I only ever need suits for weddings or funerals. Either are so infrequent that it makes more sense for me to rent them.

As far as work, it destroys clothes. I service retail stores by building product that employees and customers won't or can't for whatever reason. It's not "professional", but it's honest work that I'm good at.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:36:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By PlaneJane:
I couldn’t  marry a man who didn’t own a suit.  OTOH, I couldn’t marry a man who would marry a woman who didn’t own a comparable dress.  Being at ease in grown-up clothes is fundamental grown-up trait.

View Quote

Agreed. However I like dressing down when I can also. But I’m not leaving the house looking like Stan from south park.  I have more self respect than that.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:37:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Use to have to wear a suit everyday. The VP of operations was a short man with a gut. One day he was walking down 6th ave in Manhattan from one building to another and broke a sweat. The next week he put out a memo that Friday's would causal but neat. A few weeks later we started summer and he again broke a sweat and said no suits during summer. When summer ended he realize suits were not needed. So from that day on it was causal unless we had a meeting with the owners.

The next job it was back in the suit with that choking device around my neck.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Funerals and weddings.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:42:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By UTex86:
You guys who don’t own a suit, do you never go to weddings, funerals, formal events, or take your lady out for a high end evening?
View Quote

High end evening? Is that like dinner at McDonalds in Joe biden's economy?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Not owning a suit isn't the same thing as going out in a wife beater and your pajama bottoms.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I have two myself...
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:47:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Explorer225:

Not owning a suit isn't the same thing as going out in a wife beater and your pajama bottoms.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I couldn't  marry a man who didn't own a suit.  OTOH, I couldn't marry a man who would marry a woman who didn't own a comparable dress.  Being at ease in grown-up clothes is fundamental grown-up trait.

Why would I buy a suit if I didn't have a single need for one????
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

Nothing in my post implied that it was.  BTW, a facility with one’s native language is another fundamental grown-up trait.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#37]
own one or two suits/tuxes, but only bc i had to buy for my own wedding and prior commitments. otherwise, i never wear them.

i work in a hospital, so that may answer your question.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Worked for a multinational software corp, CEO wore a button down or polo shirt and blue jeans.  Depending on the customer, blue jeans and a logo polo shirt is fine.  Sport jacket, button down shirt and khaki pants if you meeting Sr management.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:58:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By somedude:

rent one, or I got mine at mens warehouse, they used to do alterations covered in  the price of the clothing.  suit bag on a hanger or just take a jacket and dress shirt.  the store on the ships now likely a huge ripoff.    

I have two only worn one for a wedding and the other was gifted secondhand.   I also have light Florida colors compared to black and navy blue.  

Burlington coat factory has some deals on formal clothes.    if you don't need it to be Gucci stuff. and have one nearby.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By somedude:
Originally Posted By QueenDeNile:
Men look so nice in a suit but they are unpractical af. I clicked on this for ideas for our upcoming cruise. There's one night for formal dinner. There's a weight limit for luggage and my husband's suit will take up half of the weight.

rent one, or I got mine at mens warehouse, they used to do alterations covered in  the price of the clothing.  suit bag on a hanger or just take a jacket and dress shirt.  the store on the ships now likely a huge ripoff.    

I have two only worn one for a wedding and the other was gifted secondhand.   I also have light Florida colors compared to black and navy blue.  

Burlington coat factory has some deals on formal clothes.    if you don't need it to be Gucci stuff. and have one nearby.
My husband has a suit but we will probably go the route of renting one or skip the formal dinner. It takes a lot of luggage for his suit. I won't wear heels anymore so I'm not going to dress up too much anyway.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:01:50 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

Different strokes for different folks . I dislike going anywhere that would require a suit . I don’t wear them . As hot as it is here , you try to wear as few layers of clothes you can . Since retiring from having to wear FRC the last 25 years of my career , I am perfectly ok with wearing shorts and T-shirt everywhere .
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:03:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Retired, but still have sport coats, dress pants/shoes and ties. Weddings, opera night, dances, etc. More casual galas get sport coats with jeans and cowboy boots.

Americans tend to be sloppy dressers. Am I in before the GD cellar-dweller "Muh flip-flops!?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Never owned a suit and doubt I ever will.

Why do I need one for a funeral? The guest of honor is dead- he or she won't notice and I'm dressed as they would remember if they weren't dead.

Weddings? Am I in the ceremony? If so, rental. If not casual clothes because I don't have to impress anyone.

Work- I wear shorts, boat shoes (no socks) and short sleeve button-down shirts untucked when it's warm out, jeans, button down and boat shoes when it ain't. (I'm a Quality Engineer).

Fuck a buncha suits.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:04:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: QueenDeNile] [#43]
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

Is it lined with lead, or does he have heavy shoes?
View Quote
No but it's bulky and would need a hanging suitcase. He hasn't worn it in years-he wore a vest and a tie to our last two daughters wedding. We're pretty casual.

@Justsayin thanks we're going on RC ad well. It's our first cruise - October
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:07:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Suits are impractical garbage clothes.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Have to wear a suit every day.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:08:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rifleman_556] [#46]
For funerals and weddings I’ve worn jeans, boots, button-down, jacket and tie. Normally one of the better-dressed in attendance anyway, so I’ve never bothered to purchase a suit

Work has always been steel toes and either jeans or coveralls
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By FB41:
Never owned a suit and doubt I ever will.

Why do I need one for a funeral? The guest of honor is dead- he or she won't notice and I'm dressed as they would remember if they weren't dead.

Weddings? Am I in the ceremony? If so, rental. If not casual clothes because I don't have to impress anyone.

Work- I wear shorts, boat shoes (no socks) and short sleeve button-down shirts untucked when it's warm out, jeans, button down and boat shoes when it ain't. (I'm a Quality Engineer).

Fuck a buncha suits.
View Quote
Same here.  Never owned a suit.  30 years in IT and never needed one.  Weddings, polo shirt and Dockers or similar.  Funeral, never do them.  My grandmother raised me and her opinion was always that funerals are barbaric.  I never saw a reason to disagree with her.  70s now and cannot imagine ever needing a suit.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:13:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tuco22] [#48]
Never owned one, not against it just never had an occasion other than a few weddings that i ended up renting for.
Facility maintenance btw.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#49]
I wear shorts and a T-shirt or polo most of the year.

The view from my office window:

Attachment Attached File

I'm dressing up if I'm not commando, and I'm pretty much formal if I wear jeans and boots.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By BUCKSTALKER:
Threads like this make me weep for my country

None of y'all have the need to own a suit? A wedding? A funeral? An interview for your next 7 figure job? Nothing?!?!??!

This place is filled with milionaires that don't own suits
View Quote

Wealthy people these days consider not dressing "up" to be a flex. It symbolizes "I am too important for anyone to tell me what I should wear." Working people play the whole "suits are for uppity fucks who think they are important, I work for a living."

We've, as a society, forgotten how to dress. Subconsciously, though, people still seem to react positively to suits, despite what they may otherwise espouse.
Page / 6
Top Top