BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By thesilvercord:
Would be interesting to see how many bystanders have been killed for their curiosity and urge to get the footage to post on social media.
View Quote

Not just in shootings but in all sorts of disasters big and small. People whip out their cameras instead of evading the thing killing people. I think its because the rule of our era is, "PICS! Or it didn't happen!"
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Cum on them.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:24:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By kcobean:
can't beat a drawn gun.  I'm moving to my left, his right to put his a-pillar/windshield between me and him as quickly as possible in search of cover.  Of course I'm drawing in preparation for a fight, but not getting shot is priority 1.
View Quote

This except I'm moving to my right/his left so he has to rotate towards the B pillar and twist his upper body further
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:25:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By tep0583:

I'm doing the opposite and moving right. Going left brings him the option to use the BIG weapon he's in the driver's seat of.

Once I'm clear to the rear of the car, it's harder for him to engage without exiting the car.
View Quote

This was my first thought too.  Me reasons are that the driver is seated in a car.  If I manage to get past his left shoulder I've got an excellent chance that he can't turn far enough or quick enough to get a shot at me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:25:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Badlatitude] [#5]
I'd probably say Woooaaahhh easy, I didn't see shit.

While moving out of the line of fire slowly
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Lock eyes with them and start getting naked while walking towards the car .
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:28:12 PM EDT
[#7]
can't beat a drawn gun.  I'm moving to my left, his right to put his a-pillar/windshield between me and him as quickly as possible in search of cover.  Of course I'm drawing in preparation for a fight, but not getting shot is priority 1.
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:28:21 PM EDT
[#8]
This was a real “road rage” situation that happened in Portland. The observer who took that photo was shot at a couple times and struck in the leg.

Thought it would be a good thought exercise.
View Quote

Well I’m sure af not whipping out my cell phone to take a picture…
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:30:19 PM EDT
[#9]
This was a real “road rage” situation that happened in Portland. The observer who took that photo was shot at a couple times and struck in the leg.

View Quote

Well. I sure as shit wouldn’t stand there to whip out my phone to take pictures.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:30:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Raise up your sign "The Jews Did This!" and chant "free the palestinians" while banging on your drum.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I would move sideways or to wherever seemed the best as quickly as I could.

I might get shot but most people can't shoot that good so I'll take my chances.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:38:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Upon reconsideration, I wouldn't have pulled a camera out in the first place. And I damn sure wouldn't be filming and standing there like an idiot.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:56:45 PM EDT
[#13]

If someone points a gun at an innocent bystander, I'm not going to assume they're a victim of an attempted car-jacking.  True that you've walked into the middle of an unknown, but his pointing a gun at me means he identifies me as a threat or means to do me harm.  I'm not "walking away", I'm "getting off the X", to Yaeger-ize it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By delemorte:
Walk away.. do I look like the police to you?

I have no idea why a dude is down. Could be an attempted car jacking as far as I know.

Myob

If someone points a gun at an innocent bystander, I'm not going to assume they're a victim of an attempted car-jacking.  True that you've walked into the middle of an unknown, but his pointing a gun at me means he identifies me as a threat or means to do me harm.  I'm not "walking away", I'm "getting off the X", to Yaeger-ize it.

So walking away isn't getting off the x? You guys get too hung up on commando lingo.

I bet you would blade right?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#14]

So walking away isn't getting off the x? You guys get too hung up on commando lingo.

I bet you would blade right?
View Quote

Blading at 47 degrees has been shown by occular scientists to be tactically superior than 45 degrees. IYKYK.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:59:18 PM EDT
[#15]
My situational awareness wouldn't get me in that position
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:01:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I am moving right to cover, harder for him to track in that direction.

I am also looking for cover.

I would be drawing as I move to cover.

He will either drive off or exit the vehicle.

It goes from there.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:02:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By scopedope:
Not my circus, not my monkey!
View Quote

That is so over used. The guy is pointing a gun at you. You are now the monkey. Dance monkey.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:03:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Find cover ASAP. You aren't drawing and getting a round off before a guy that's already got his gun aimed at you with his finger on the trigger. Not happening.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:03:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Gun from Heat.
Typically Gla drivers carry
Sigs
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:09:05 PM EDT
[#20]

This is what I was thinking. Gunman is right handed. Out in the open you’d want to move in the same direction against their natural range of motion (easier for right handed shooter to shoot straight and to their left). Shooter being in the vehicle, it would be even more be beneficial to move in this direction.
View Quote

Move to your right. Shooter has a wide arc left to right but not so much to his left. Furthermore, right handed is probably right eye dominant. Sit in your car with gun in right hand. Now swing left and see how difficult it is to track left with your arm across your body.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By JamPo:

Move to your right. Shooter has a wide arc left to right but not so much to his left. Furthermore, right handed is probably right eye dominant. Sit in your car with gun in right hand. Now swing left and see how difficult it is to track left with your arm across your body.
View All Quotes

This is what I was thinking. Gunman is right handed. Out in the open you’d want to move in the same direction against their natural range of motion (easier for right handed shooter to shoot straight and to their left). Shooter being in the vehicle, it would be even more be beneficial to move in this direction.

You’re right.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:23:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Efl15] [#22]
Since this is GD, draw carry gun or retrieve the truck gun and get involved.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:29:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Get behind cover, and/or run away after putting some type of cover between you and the muzzle of the shotgun.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:34:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mike_314] [#24]
This was a real "road rage" situation that happened in Portland. The observer who took that photo was shot at a couple times and struck in the leg.

View Quote
OK, we'll rule out take a picture of the guy with the gun as a response.

But to answer the question:
A. Move
B. Seek cover or at least concealment
C. Shoot back first
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:42:03 PM EDT
[#25]

This is what I was thinking. Gunman is right handed. Out in the open you'd want to move in the same direction against their natural range of motion (easier for right handed shooter to shoot straight and to their left). Shooter being in the vehicle, it would be even more be beneficial to move in this direction.
View All Quotes

This is what I was thinking. Gunman is right handed. Out in the open you'd want to move in the same direction against their natural range of motion (easier for right handed shooter to shoot straight and to their left). Shooter being in the vehicle, it would be even more be beneficial to move in this direction.
I doubt I would process that information in time. Getting off the X and finding the nearest concealment or cover would probably be a faster decision.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:48:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Move towards cover

If rounds start flying, draw and fire while continuing to move towards cover.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:53:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By -Ascent-:
Back up back into the store. Call 911. If I'm pursued then I would draw.
View Quote

This is my answer.  Running around looking for cover with a drawn pistol could get you shot by someone other than the guy in the car thinking you are the person that just fired gunshots and are the threat.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Moving behind OP.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#29]
That’s a tough shot for the average person, one handed, at that distance. I’m moving laterally, quickly, drawing my own gun and reacting from there depending on what they do next.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote
This is 100% the right answer. I'm moving left and back rapidly. A-Pillar blocks and windshield deflects. I'm not drawing, I'm going for cover.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:03:07 PM EDT
[#31]
"Use it or put it away" and continue on like he's not even there. I'm not beating a drawn gun and don't know the details of what just happened, not getting involved.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:04:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:09:14 PM EDT
[#33]
If I see that I'm moving to my right quickly and drawing.
If I move to my left, I'm hoping he's going to shoot low/left, but it puts me both directly in front of the car wher I can be run down and it places me in the middle of his arc of fire. Moving right is going to force him to turn in his seat if he wants to track me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:13:00 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

It would be impossible to keep any kind of a sight picture in that scenario.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:23:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Personally, I think the biggest action to take, is to MOVE immediately.

I'm dropping- and rolling/skittering off in a lateral direction. Either way will do.

Longer you stand there with your dick in your hand the worse it gets.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Sudden dash towards the back of that car
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Lateral left, draw and fire at same time.  His tracking w be intercepted by A Pilar and with any luck I survive another GSW if he does hit me.

He is trapped in his front seat fatal funnel.

While not ideal, this is a survivable encounter.

18Z50….
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:42:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Let's say off the nose of the car is 12:00.  He's currently pointing at about what 10:00-10:30?  Given that he's right handed, how many degrees to his right / your left can he move that gun until he'd have to shoot through his A-pillar or windshield to hit you?  Now consider his 'field of fire' if you go to your right. He's got from 10:30 all the way to probably 7:00 if he drops his left hand and pivots in the seat, which he CAN do faster than you can cover that arc distance.  

Without any further information, moving to your left gets an object that presumably he doesn't want to shoot, between you and him.  If you go right, you give him 150 degress or so of motion that he can track you through.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Assuming no immediate cover, run and angle to the left. Stay low when running past the windshield (shooting from inside drags the bullet high) if cover in that direction, get to it and don’t attempt to engage. If no cover drop to my back below line of sight on passenger side of the car, draw weapon aim between my legs and wait for a target or for guy to drive off.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote
I'm with you, but at the same time I think moving right (his left) will put you behind him and he isn't going to be able to turn around and shoot as quickly as you can draw. Plus, it's harder to back up over someone than it is to hit them going forward.

Either way, moving is your best defense.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:48:46 PM EDT
[#41]
I had a gun put in my face in Berkeley, CA…,I walked away.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:50:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Drive defensively
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:01:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By jimhoff:
Sudden dash towards the back of that car
View Quote

This. Draw and open fire from his 7. Can't spin around in his seat to shoot you. And don't be directly behind the car where he can back over you.

Move left you're going right into his line of fire.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:25:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Fall backwards into the doorway and start yelling "I'm Shot"
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#46]
What is Hunter doing in Portland?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:00:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Walk away.. do I look like the police to you?

I have no idea why a dude is down. Could be an attempted car jacking as far as I know.

Myob
View Quote

One thing i do know is i’m not a carjacker and dude is pointing a gun at me.

That’s his problem.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

Still plenty of room for him to track you even if you force him to swing towards the front of the windshield.  

Anyhow- I would go laterally towards whatever cover is available, whichever side it might be on.  Draw my own gun, as anyone randomly pointing a gun at me is a serious threat, and given the opportunity to be proactive I am taking it.  But getting off the X is priority #1 first.

And yeah, I would shoot some random dipshit who was pointing a gun at me for no reason, especially if he just shot someone else.  Just because he might be confusing me with someone who might care what he just did, or who might be friendly with the person he just shot, doesn’t mean I am putting up with that.  But that is priority #2, because I already am in a bad situation to start with, so getting the hell out of dodge is the main thing.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:01:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Mars87:
Move towards cover while drawing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:18:37 PM EDT
[#50]

Older story but the purpose of me posting it here was for the thought exercise without knowing the details.

https://nypost.com/2023/10/15/portland-financier-geoffrey-hammond-kills-man-in-road-rage-shooting-before-taking-aim-at-filming-bystander/amp/
View Quote

Well that guy isn’t much of a “CEO” as it turns out, more like some sketchy guy with a criminal past.  Kind of sounds like he might even have been a prohibited person.

He will get convicted of Murder on the original guy 100%, because the other guy was trying to de-escalate.  He will also be convicted of Assault I and/or Attempt Murder for shooting the guy who was taking the photo.  He turned himself in and all that, but his story and reasoning is dumb as hell.  Easy conviction.  (Actually he will most likely end up taking a plea deal on lesser charges….because it is such an easy case to prosecute.)

And leftists will use this incident as another “gun violence” statistic, while ignoring the fact that the dead guy and photographer both might have been better off if they were better prepared to defend themselves.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top