BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:39:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By UndrGrndPrdcts:
I don't understand the retro fascination. It's going backwards on purpose. Things have been updated and modernized for a reason.
View Quote
Some people buy guns for nostalgia or just plain fun.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:53:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't understand the retro fascination. It's going backwards on purpose. Things have been updated and modernized for a reason.
View Quote

Could you imagine someone preferring to take a day trip on an old sailing ship as opposed to a motor boat? Can you understand someone wanting to go for a short flight in a biplane as opposed to a modern Cessna. Can you understand the appeal of building a cabin in the woods with hand tools as opposed to hauling in modern lumber and using power tools? Not that you would do any of those things but can you understand why someone might want to do it?

Could you imagine a car nut, with a large barn to park cars in, plenty of money, and with a couple of good daily drivers already, wanting to buy some classic cars from the 30s, or the 70s?

If someone wants practical weapons, for the sake of having weapons, then a modern AR and a modern polymer 9mm is the way to go. But when those needs are met and you are just wanting to collect guns to have them or for the fun of shooting them a lot of us start wanting things like 1911s, old single actions, WWI era bolt action rifles, and retro ARs.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:56:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Even around 2010 A2 uppers were not hard to find. I assume the supply dried up and now there is an open market segment. Many of those A2s were carbines or heavier barrels as well so a proper M16A2 replica is nice to see.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:57:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine quickly became one of my favorite rifles.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:03:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I like 20” rifles.

And they can shoot.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:04:02 PM EDT
[#6]
The A2s I was issued were 100 percent reliable
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:19:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Everyone knows that A1 config is the best config.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:41:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DoubleARon:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/73538/IMG_9354_jpeg-3201965.JPG

ETA: Finding a 1/7 government profile barrel with a rifle extension is not easy.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/73538/IMG_4841_jpeg-3201970.JPG
View Quote

Love your A3! I built my A2 with an 80% also, the only way to have correct markings. I would love to see it when you are finished with her.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:42:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Dunderway:
Some people buy guns for nostalgia or just plain fun.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#10]
If any A2s are still in service with the current .mil, then it's not retro.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:53:19 PM EDT
[#11]
All those dudes that were trying to sell $300 stripped A2 uppers are now...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I was hoping to get a H & R but I will hold off and see what develops. Still partial to the M16A1, though, since it was the first rifle I ever bought while in high school.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:56:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nick_Adams] [#13]
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:
A couple years ago, nobody was making A2 stuff. A bunch of companies were making A4s, and some of those companies were calling those A4s A2s, but you couldn't really get an A2 without digging up an old upper somewhere and building around it yourself.

Then one day, a holding group bought the rights to an old gun company's branding and IP, and they hired a retro rifle nerd to run it, and now there's a shift. H&R released A1s first, then A2s started shipping a year or so ago, and they've been a hit.

https://files.springfield-armory.com/wp-content/uploads/model-hero-sa16-rifle-2200x1257-3.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwuKAESTsYo

It's going to be fun to see how far this goes.

Personally, I didn't love the A2 when I was in the Army. The examples I was issued were mostly older than I was and it showed, and every USGI magazine I was ever issued before I deployed should have been smashed and trashed. Also, GI triggers are what they are, and the training wasn't very good. The marksmanship training was so poor, many (most?) of us couldn't hit the 300M targets with confidence, and bad maintenance practices caused reliability issues.

I learned a hell of a lot more about shooting techniques and firearms maintenance towards the end of my career and after I got out than I ever did when I was in.

I recently acquired my first civilian A2:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/257918/IMG_9632-3183526.jpg

I dropped a trigger in it, lubed it up, and took it out, and it actually kind of rips. I was pinging the 300 yard target casually, I had a good hit rate at 400 with some effort, and 550 was a bit tough, but it was hard to see the target.

The 0-2 aperture was also way more useful than I remember it being. I could get the A2 on targets from 50-200 with that aperture about as fast as I could my TA-31 ACOG.

I bought this A2 as a range toy, training rifle, and Memberberries item, but my confidence in it is high. I'm going to put a loaded mag in that force pro pouch and keep it handy.

Anyways, I don't have much love for Springfield, but I'm glad they're doing this, and I hope this trend grows a bit more.
View Quote

Interesting, …. but as Retro builds go it’s ah, meh, blah.

I prefer the 1965-ish M16 variant.  True 20” pencil barrel, triangle hand guards, A1 stock, 6.4lbs max.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:01:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Commando223:
I don't need one but I'm glad they are keeping the retro stuff alive
View Quote

My old eyes can't do the iron sights anymore, otherwise I'd have a stable full of them.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:10:37 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

It's amazing the number of people on Arfcom that can't seem to "understand" simple concepts. Amazingly, some people like old things.

Tom Cruise can buy anything he wants, but there he is with a P51. A lot of people have Deuce Coupes ,'57 Bel Airs and early Corvettes that were pretty crude. A friend of ours collects antique tractors.

A lot of people like and carry revolver. Some people want to own a replica of their first GI rifle or something that a badass might have carried in "Black Hawk Down." Speaking of which, those guys seemed to have done good work with those antique A2s and 1911s.

I wouldn't use my '58 Buick as my only transportation, but I do have a 14.5" A2 with a light and optic next to the bed.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:21:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
i still haven't found a goddamn SA35 for sale after two years of vaporware from SA.

@springfieldarmory
View Quote
Funstore had two in the case yesterday. Buddy has one. Nice gun.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:28:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jellyfrosh] [#17]
I would be amazed if these sell. I've seen Colt AR-15A4s in stock for over a year for 1100 that haven't moved at all. 1250 MSRP baffles me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:30:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Jellyfrosh:
I would be amazed if these sell. I've seen Colt AR-15A4s in stock for over a year for 1100 that haven't moved at all.
View Quote
Probably because it's 1100 bucks.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:35:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Probably because it's 1100 bucks.
View Quote

You do know the MSRP on this thing is 1250, right?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:37:08 PM EDT
[#20]

You do know the MSRP on this thing is 1250, right?
View Quote
Yeah. What was MSRP on those Colt rifles?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:40:20 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

1099 lol

Why would 1100 dollar Colts not sell but a worse version of the same gun made by Springfield Armory sell for 1250?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:44:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Have an armalite I bought in 97 been a great accurate shooter. 300 yards is no problem doing so quickly with irons.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:47:13 PM EDT
[#23]

1099 lol

Why would 1100 dollar Colts not sell but a worse version of the same gun made by Springfield Armory sell for 1250?
View Quote
Probably because it's not a Colt.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:49:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DayandNight1701] [#24]
Originally Posted By Action45:
More retro options is never a bad thing
View Quote

For hobby stuff, sure.  For something usable, hard to say.  

The carry handle was just about the perfect height for high-rise modern RDSs and NV compatible optics, but arguing that's what it really was designed for is laughable.  

The top mounted charging handle was the first place AL found it suitable to put it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:01:48 PM EDT
[#25]
We qualified on A1's in OSUT at Knox.

When I got to my duty unit in Böblingen each tank was issued an A2.

I had an 80% lower engraved with the serial number of the rifle my tank was issued because I found my arms room card with my ETS orders.

Pretty fetching gun even if the anodizer did the lower in shiny Type III hardcoat.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:12:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: desertmoon] [#26]
Originally Posted By Jack-of-Hearts:
Everyone knows that A1 config is the best config.  
View Quote
This is true BUT...the A2 is a damn fine "shootin' " rifle.  Fine as you can git.  Next to a proper M14, that is.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:29:04 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

Bet you're real fun at parties.  Shut up.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:36:10 PM EDT
[#28]

This site is amazing. No matter what the variant, there's a guy posting a pic of his 5 of them.

Murica
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:25:39 AM EDT
[#29]
The fact that an a2 is considered retro hurts and you all should be offended.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:26:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By sgtlmj:

Some of us more retro guys were issued these rifles and remember how they felt in the hand, and the memories assiciated with that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sgtlmj:

Some of us more retro guys were issued these rifles and remember how they felt in the hand, and the memories assiciated with that.

This.

Attachment Attached File

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/73538/IMG_9354_jpeg-3201965.JPG

ETA: Finding a 1/7 government profile barrel with a rifle extension is not easy.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/73538/IMG_4841_jpeg-3201970.JPG

@DoubleARon

That's been the hardest part in all of this. I finally gave up and got a 20" windham barrel with the m4 feed ramps.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:29:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Missilegeek] [#31]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

View Quote

My first issued training rifle was an A1. 39/40

It didn't like to run blanks on full auto.

I deployed with the A2 musket, but it was never my favorite. I was happy to get an M4, when the time came.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:30:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:51:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:

I deployed with the A2 musket, but it was never my favorite. I was happy to get an M4, when the time came.
View Quote
I don't think anything likes to run on blanks.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:53:27 AM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes

You're right
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:53:38 AM EDT
[#35]

This.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/this-gif-793.gif

@DoubleARon

That's been the hardest part in all of this. I finally gave up and got a 20" windham barrel with the m4 feed ramps.
View Quote
I'll find one some day.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:24:18 AM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

I started with an A2 in 2008 an m4 in 2010 as an AAV crewman. At the end of 2011/beginning of 2012 I transferred units and got an A4 until getting an m4a1 in the guard for the border rotation.

I have 2.5 a2s. No A4s. One m4a1.

I need to fix that.
I'll find one some day.

The only folks I have found making them with actual rifle extensions is fulton.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:33:18 AM EDT
[#37]

1099 lol

View All Quotes

1099 lol

The Colts aren't retro.

If Colt made rollmarked grey anodized guns like they did in the 90s and earlier, without the ban features, they would sell every single gun if it was not significantly more expensive than H&R or Springfield.

Except the retro reissue rifles they did actually release had a lot of wrong features and were priced into KAC/Hodge territory.

But as usual they'll probably figure it out too late and join the party 5 SHOT Shows later.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:03:12 AM EDT
[#38]
My first AR was a DPMS A2, which I still have. It's my favorite rifle.

I put a .040 rear aperture in it and an RRA match trigger. I've been using it for NRA Service Rifle matches for the past 15 years.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:08:07 AM EDT
[#39]
The M16A3 was better than the M16A2. I'm right. You know I am. If you disagree your bad and you should feel bad.
View Quote

Your spelling and punctuation are bad and you should feel bad.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:28:31 AM EDT
[#40]
About 14 years ago I got the itch to have an A2. I could only find Del-Ton uppers in stock. I got the complete upper and have been pretty happy with it.
I took it to an Appleseed shoot in ‘15? At the nra center in raton, nm and made rifleman with the iron sights at distance targets. Not the scaled down 25yd ones they use on shorter ranges.
I was quite impressed with the del-ton barrel.

As for training, I felt like I got amazing marksman training in basic at Ft. Knox. Maybe they focused a little more on it for the 19D’s but many of my company left basic qualling expert.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:11:56 AM EDT
[#41]
I would be amazed if these sell. I've seen Colt AR-15A4s in stock for over a year for 1100 that haven't moved at all. 1250 MSRP baffles me.
View Quote

Because you can find those Colts regularly for $950
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:02:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:52:11 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Those reasons vary as well as come and go. I'm not doing CQB or playing night vision games or doing MOUT. Basically the rifles are mission oriented.

My mission is to shoot for pleasure, sometimes off the bench or prone out to 500yds. That makes my A2 an excellent selection.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:57:34 AM EDT
[#44]
$1300 is a fucking joke though
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:46:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JustDaniel] [#45]
View Quote

I have just about every “modern” configuration imaginable but you know what? This one will do nearly anything that those can. Plus they’re fun and it’s still okay to have fun now and then.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:23:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:

I was in the Army for 6 years and I never saw a range set up to shoot paper at 300.

We had these:

https://invtactical.com/cdn/shop/products/25-meter-m16a2-zeroing-target-alt-c2-shooting-targets-305621.jpg?v=1693729298
View Quote
This is what the latest USMC rifleman's manual says about short range zeros:

"A Service rifle that only has a prezero sight setting established, not a BZO, should not be
used in battle. A BZO established at 300 meters/yards is considered to be much more accurate
than the 33-meter/36-yard prezero sight setting. This is because of the minor inconsistencies that
the Marine can apply at 33 meters/36 yards that will be greatly multiplied at 300 meters/yards."

That's for irons. For the ACOG it's zero'd at 100

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:47:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

They did, but when called-out on it, they shit-canned the company they hired to do the political lobbying for them and apologized. Whether or not they knew what was going on, only insiders would know. Damage was done, already.

Rock River Arms was also using the same lobbying company and if I remember correctly, never took it back. The lobbying group expected the anti-2A bill to pass and got specific carveouts for their corporate clients like SA and RRA.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:
Originally Posted By 03RN:
Originally Posted By crusaderf8u:
Originally Posted By STL_Nik:
ARF loves to gobble SA cock while shunning every other company who as much as farted near the 2nd amendment.  This place never fails to surprise me.

FUCK SPRINGFIELD ARMORY from the gun owners of Illinois.

As a former IL gun owing resident I have to agree. Not sure I understand how they get a pass for screwing over IL folks but whatever.

Because they didn't actually

They did, but when called-out on it, they shit-canned the company they hired to do the political lobbying for them and apologized. Whether or not they knew what was going on, only insiders would know. Damage was done, already.

Rock River Arms was also using the same lobbying company and if I remember correctly, never took it back. The lobbying group expected the anti-2A bill to pass and got specific carveouts for their corporate clients like SA and RRA.

Exactly, the Gun Dealer Licensing Act.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

The door for music to be played on a classic rock station opens at 20 years old.

The Wonder Years was set in 1968. It started airing in 1988. 20 years

That 70s Show begins in 1976. It started airing in 1998. 22 years

In Back to the Future, Marty goes from 1985 to 1955. 30 years

The M16A2 was adopted by the USMC in 1983... 41 years ago.

Not only is the M16A2 in the retro bucket, you can probably put most of the GWOT era M4s there, too.

The quad rail, the FSB, the basic VFG, the M68/CompM2, the crappy rear sight... All that stuff is pretty much old school now.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:51:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By SGT_Tentpeg:
M16 is a full automatic weapon.  Do they mean AR15?
View Quote

It's both!

I've seen actual M-16s marked with AR-15 rollmarks. They were early receivers rebuilt at some point in their service lives.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Kalahnikid:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60275/115595_left_jpg-3201992.JPG

The AR-15 is a full auto weapon.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kalahnikid:
Originally Posted By SGT_Tentpeg:
M16 is a full automatic weapon.  Do they mean AR15?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60275/115595_left_jpg-3201992.JPG

The AR-15 is a full auto weapon.

BuT nO miLiTaRy IsSuEs Ar-15s!1!1!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top