Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:46:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I just buy stuff like this at Costco at this point.

They stand behind their stuff, don't have a habit of selling shitty things as someone will just return it, I get 4% back and the delivery is baked into the price.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:53:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Superluckycat:
I have all FS living room furniture.  It's quality stuff.
View Quote

We bought a Flexsteel leather reclining couch and loveseat set over 7 years ago.  They're holding up very well, and I'd recommend them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:19:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Look at them in the store, roll them partially on their back and look at how much particle board is used...
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:19:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Ashley is absolute junk.

Do yourself a favor and buy an Ikea couch if you're going the cheap couch route.  I've learned the hard way.  

Also be on the lookout for bonded leather.  It's that shit you see on office chairs that starts peeling off after a couple years.

Even flexsteel was using that garbage for a while.  You might find some models on closeout or discount that still have it but I believe for their newer stuff they've gone away from that.

If you're not spending at least 5,000 don't expect it to last longer than 5-10 years.  And go firmer than she likes.  It'll soften up and break in fairly quickly.  

The best cheap couch imo is an Ikea morabo in leather.  About  1200 to 1500 or so depending on which size you go for. They also have a 2500 leather couch that is also okay.  You've really gotta spend to get much better.  The 2500 dollar one is more comfortable.  I have a morabo in leather.

Some people have them last a long time but I don't have much for expectations except it will for sure outlast anything at Ashley.  And if it doesn't they actually have a decent warranty.

Also the hemnes bedroom and living room stuff is okay too.  It's all pine so its not exactly an heirloom piece but it gets the job done and is easily repairable should the need arise.  Can also put oak on the top of the end tables or whatever and you'll get a long life out of them.  Extra nails and glue helps too.

Tl/Dr:  if youre cheap completely avoid Ashley, Walmart, office max, and any place that has the price listed in monthly payments but not total price.  Ikea is the best of the cheap shit but go for their higher end stuff.  Which is still cheap but good for its price.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:30:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Costco is a solid option. We bought a leather sofa and love seat with the electric recline feature. Within about a month the sofa stopped working on one side. Called Costco and had a new sofa in a week. A few months down the road the loveseat did the same thing. Called Costco, new loveseat arrived. They do stand behind their stuff.

We bought another nice leather sofa/loveseat combo recently after shopping around and we liked it hat rooms to go had the best. Won’t get it for another 3 or 4 weeks so can’t speak to actual quality yet, but it was very nice in store.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:26:27 AM EDT
[#6]
We bought a rolled-arm Pearce sectional from Pottery Barn in Florida...so it has to be close to 20 years old at this point. It's crossed the Atlantic twice, and been in seven houses since. Not leather, I believe it's ultrasuede, but nothing will stain it and it doesn't sag. PB should be sending us royalty checks, I think at least four friends have purchased them since spending time on ours.

We relaxed the no-dog rule about three years ago, mostly because I think wifey wanted to damage it because she's "tired" of it and wants a replacement. Even they haven't put a dent in it...all their fur, drool and zoomies haven't done a thing, it all wipes off. And they're seriously comfortable. I can't vouch for their lower end stuff, but the higher end is definitely well made.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:31:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had excellent results with Flexsteel, and long term durability is good.  We've even reupholstered one and it's still great.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:39:21 AM EDT
[#8]
If you never want to buy a couch again and have $6.5k to spare.  We love ours along with the matching recliner and tables.

Stickley Sofa
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:47:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SavedByTheBlood:
We got a new couch back in October. Wife and I have two different styles. She liked the low to the ground wide cushion frumpy looking couches at Pottery Barn and Crate & Barrel. I prefer quality leather couches that aren’t super low to the ground and tall enough in the back for me to sit up right or lean back and rest my head on the cushion.

We comprised and went with a Crate & Barrel couch with performance fabric since we have a 3y/o, 1y/o and a dog but we got one higher off the ground that doesn’t have frumpy looking fabric and the back is tall enough for me to lean back and rest my head on the cushion.

Cost was like 7Kish after tax and delivery.

This is the model and configuration we got. Idk the fabric. I let the wife pick that.

Crate and Barrel couch
View Quote

That's…That’s like 7 good La-Z-Boys!
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Macy's Home Furniture.

Seriously. We bought a 7 seat sectional, with 3 motorized loungers, and a chaise lounger, 5 years ago. It has been rock solid. Looks brand new.

We have 4 kids who are rough on everything. I took out a 5 year warranty for $500.00 that will be refunded as a store credit next week. We never needed it and it covered everything.

Would absolutely buy again and have had multiple friends shop there since.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Ashley is not what I would consider quality. Used to work at a repair center that would repair their stuff sometimes... Mostly chipboard and staples. Cheap china springs and hardware. It's not confidence inspiring at all once you have seen the inside of enough of their products.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SM0KESCREEN:
Ashley is not what I would consider quality. Used to work at a repair center that would repair their stuff sometimes... Mostly chipboard and staples. Cheap china springs and hardware. It's not confidence inspiring at all once you have seen the inside of enough of their products.
View Quote

Yeah, Based off this thread, we have taken Ashley off the list of possibilities
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top