BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:44:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dixie2009:
All businesses are extorting consumers in the name of Covid blame.  I hop one day they crash.  Consumers need to start saying “no.”
View Quote

Property values keep going up, taxes keep going up, insurance keeps going up (especially along the coast/hurricane areas), labor for cleaning/maintenance keeps going up.   I briefly looked at buying a condo at TX coast for me to use and as a rental property,  but the HOA fees each month were ridiculous at most places.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:46:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Lots of times these fees vary greatly by whether it's corporate or individual. We often use AirBNB or VRBO for trips where we want to take the dogs, or want a particular experience that can't be had through a hotel, such as riverfront somewhere nearby.

Just booked a place on the coast for a summer trip and the corporation that manages a whole bunch of rentals down there was tacking on something like $425 in fees, while similar places managed by the owners were charging only around $125 for the same fees. Went with the owner-run option.

Typically if we like a place and expect to return, I'll try to swap contact info with the owner and just book direct.

Not sure how y'all are able to find the owner info without booking since most of them provide just a general map of the location prior to booking. I guess maybe with google maps satellite views and the local tax office, but then that becomes a project.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't forget to change the sheets, take out the trash, and paint the siding before you leave!

Hotels are the way to go now.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:54:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By captexas:

Property values keep going up, taxes keep going up, insurance keeps going up (especially along the coast/hurricane areas), labor for cleaning/maintenance keeps going up.   I briefly looked at buying a condo at TX coast for me to use and as a rental property,  but the HOA fees each month were ridiculous at most places.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By captexas:
Originally Posted By Dixie2009:
All businesses are extorting consumers in the name of Covid blame.  I hop one day they crash.  Consumers need to start saying “no.”

Cleaning is not a premium cost. It’s for those who have no skills.  These companies are just greedy.  A friend has a concrete supplier buddy and the supplier told him everyone is still using Covid on purpose to keep costs high. For example, there is zero reason 30 ft of fencing should cost $5k for materials and labor. Last time I replaced that length it was $1,200.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:58:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I swore never to use them when Lauren Southern's parents were blacklisted due to her politics. They reversed it and "apologized" but they were dead to me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By dyezak:

Yea, Air BNB along with VRBO peaked around 2021.  I just did a gulf trip myself and the cost was insane...not even close to worth it.  I'll be going back to hotels.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dyezak:
Originally Posted By FistPeso:
Same, it’s not usually worth it anymore.  I just stay at hotels.

Yea, Air BNB along with VRBO peaked around 2021.  I just did a gulf trip myself and the cost was insane...not even close to worth it.  I'll be going back to hotels.

I was pricing out a week in South Padre, and condo prices were absolutely insane. We ended up going to an all inclusive in Cancun for less money than the AirBnB would have cost.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top