Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:00:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks OP, you reminded me I need to work on my 16’ utility trailer. I need to convert from a 4-pin to a 7-pin plug and hook the brakes up, also repack the bearings and check said brakes.

Wire tracers are a thing now and ain’t nobody got time to have 10 different colors of wire, boomers
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:55:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By paul463:

This.  Don't fuck around making the trailer match whatever fucked up way your tow vehicle is wired.  Wire the trailer right and fix the shit mess on the tow vehicle to work with a correctly wired trailer.
And run your grounds all to the plug.  Don't depend on the trailer chassis and ball hitch to be part of your ground circuit.

And if you have any of these;
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51xq0Dp8HzL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

The best most reliable way to use them is.......

To shove them in your ass.
View Quote
Lol,  perfectly said
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:10:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AKSnowRider] [#3]
We use polar wire for trailer wiring, everything is soldered and heat shrink...We weld 1/4" bolts wherever a ground is needed and everything grounds through those ground bolts...All wiring is either in the square tube framework or we weld conduit inside the frame to run the wiring thru....Anything that gets used in the winter we build boxes to hold the tail lights so all wiring and the lights are inside boxes and snow/ice cannot build up on them...

This is a tilt deck trailer that we rebuilt, hard to see but the main frame is channel and the tilt frame is rectangular tube..So you can see the conduit on the main frame that takes the wiring from the hitch back to above the axles, then the trailer brake wires come out of the harness before it jumps inside the tilt frame and goes to all 4 corners for all the lights... At the pivot point there are welded on 1/4"ground bolts on both frames so axles grounds and trailer grounds including the wiring ground from the pigtail all ground thru those bolts...If you notice we use a connector box for all wire terminations at the hitch, which hooks all battery/lights/pigtail wiring together and protects them from the weather...You can also see the break away protector and the hoop welded next to it that holds the pigtail both when in use and when stored...If you look close, you can see the loop for the pigtail/the break a way switch protector/ the battery box/the connection box/ the conduit that takes the wiring back to the pivot point...Wiring normally last the life of the trailer if done right...One other thing we do not use the 6 pin round pin trailer connectors..We use the 7 pole commercial connectors with flat spade connections..We have had all sorts if issues with the round pin connectors over time loosing contact with the pins, which is not a normal issue for the flat spade connector 7 pole connectors....The 7 pole also gives you an accessory wire which we normally use for back up lights...So you have left/right turn/brake, running lights, battery charge, trailer brakes, common ground, and  accessory(back up for our use)....And yes we use LED lights...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Hard to see but you can see the wiring inside the tail light holes....all wiring and the lights are well protected...hard to see on the back view, but you can see the boxing the light area to enclose all the lights and wiring....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

You can see where the side marker goes, and the tube that protects both the light and wire....You can also see the mechanics wire already fished thru the frame to pull the wire to this light when the time comes...

Attachment Attached File

trailer done ready for use...

Attachment Attached File

Another trailer you can see all the electrical stuff and how we try to protect it...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:28:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By DMG-LDS:
I need to redeck and wire one of my trailers

Iv been meaning to do this for 3 years now
View Quote
I'm on year five or six
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:43:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Shadowgrouse:
And use different color wires. Don't be the asshole who rewires it with one spool of wire.
View Quote

Down here where we regularly dunk our trailers in salt water I run orange 3/14 extension cord wiring. Run a piece from the plug down each frame rail back to the lights 5' up on the guide ons where they never get submerged. Never across the trailer where the wiring can snag on crap. Solder, silicone and heat shrink every connection and you will never have to fuk with the light wiring ever again. Ever again means 25-30 years at least. All bets are off if you wire the rinky dink side lights that you don't legally need on a regular non commercial trailer. These lights get submerged and fuk everything up.

Cracker style/Mil-Spec.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:33:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Surf:
Allow extra length at the plug.   And then add another five feet.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:09:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By UTex86:
If you are going to rewire a trailer, and also replace the decking, redo the wiring before putting the new decking on.

It will be a lot easier
View Quote
Yep.

And add silicon caulk before shrinking your heat shrink for connections; makes them waterproof.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:21:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Merlin:
Yep.

And add silicon caulk before shrinking your heat shrink for connections; makes them waterproof.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
If you are going to rewire a trailer, and also replace the decking, redo the wiring before putting the new decking on.

It will be a lot easier
Yep.

Adhesive lined heat shrink and environmental splices.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:35:55 PM EDT
[#9]
trailer lights? Just tie a rag to the back of the trailer and send it.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:48:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
We use polar wire for trailer wiring, everything is soldered and heat shrink...We weld 1/4" bolts wherever a ground is needed and everything grounds through those ground bolts...All wiring is either in the square tube framework or we weld conduit inside the frame to run the wiring thru....Anything that gets used in the winter we build boxes to hold the tail lights so all wiring and the lights are inside boxes and snow/ice cannot build up on them...

This is a tilt deck trailer that we rebuilt, hard to see but the main frame is channel and the tilt frame is rectangular tube..So you can see the conduit on the main frame that takes the wiring from the hitch back to above the axles, then the trailer brake wires come out of the harness before it jumps inside the tilt frame and goes to all 4 corners for all the lights... At the pivot point there are welded on 1/4"ground bolts on both frames so axles grounds and trailer grounds including the wiring ground from the pigtail all ground thru those bolts...If you notice we use a connector box for all wire terminations at the hitch, which hooks all battery/lights/pigtail wiring together and protects them from the weather...You can also see the break away protector and the hoop welded next to it that holds the pigtail both when in use and when stored...If you look close, you can see the loop for the pigtail/the break a way switch protector/ the battery box/the connection box/ the conduit that takes the wiring back to the pivot point...Wiring normally last the life of the trailer if done right...One other thing we do not use the 6 pin round pin trailer connectors..We use the 7 pole commercial connectors with flat spade connections..We have had all sorts if issues with the round pin connectors over time loosing contact with the pins, which is not a normal issue for the flat spade connector 7 pole connectors....The 7 pole also gives you an accessory wire which we normally use for back up lights...So you have left/right turn/brake, running lights, battery charge, trailer brakes, common ground, and  accessory(back up for our use)....And yes we use LED lights...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_2754__1__jpeg-3201020.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_2755__1__jpeg-3201022.JPG

Hard to see but you can see the wiring inside the tail light holes....all wiring and the lights are well protected...hard to see on the back view, but you can see the boxing the light area to enclose all the lights and wiring....

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_2751_jpeg-3201287.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_2701_jpeg-3201292.JPG

You can see where the side marker goes, and the tube that protects both the light and wire....You can also see the mechanics wire already fished thru the frame to pull the wire to this light when the time comes...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_2732__1__jpeg-3201027.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_3758_jpeg-3201024.JPG

Another trailer you can see all the electrical stuff and how we try to protect it...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/Screen_Shot_2022-08-23_at_9_26_38_PM_png-3201025.JPG
View Quote

Beautiful.

Overkill is the only way.

What is the blue sheathing?

@AKSnowRider

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:58:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Beautiful.

Overkill is the only way.

What is the blue sheathing?

@AKSnowRider

View Quote

@UTex86

It is polar wire's  arctic ultra flex trailer wire, super high quality wire, made specifically for wiring trailers...They sell all sorts of wire pretty much anything needed for automotive use....Its all we use for all wiring..worth every penny just for the lack of headaches.......

Attachment Attached File

https://polarwire.com/aufb-trailer.html
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:10:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep.

View Quote

You should try this stuff, it is the way for quality wiring jobs..their stuff just works...including their heat shrink their HD with glue is the shit...

https://polarwire.com/pdfs/42-45.pdf
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:18:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 77Bronc] [#13]
I learned a long time ago when things are open and an accessible do, replace, install what you can.

This thread reminds me I need to rewire my 5x10 utility trailer.  The wires are run inside of the top trailer tube/railings and I will have to either pull new wire or run it on the outside, which may be the best way

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:41:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#14]

You should try this stuff, it is the way for quality wiring jobs..their stuff just works...including their heat shrink their HD with glue is the shit...

View All Quotes
Yep.

That's what I did use.  It was a massive PITA to redo my trailer with decking - the last thing I wanted to do was have to redo it.

Belt, suspenders, rope around the waist.  It was very satisfying watching the heat shrink squeezing the silicon out, making a completely secure and protected connection.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:48:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Stutzmech:
And follow the nationally recognized wireing for the standard connectors, many don’t and it’s a pain to rewire to be correct
View Quote

The number of times I've had trailers come in to the shop that were wrong from the factory is sad, it's not that freaking difficult
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:49:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TXBBQGuy] [#16]
Originally Posted By Seabee_Mech:
My FIL horrible about that, his trailers were wired where it would work on his pickup only. Try to hookup to another truck with the plug wired correctly and nothing worked right
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Seabee_Mech:
Originally Posted By Stutzmech:
And follow the nationally recognized wireing for the standard connectors, many don't and it's a pain to rewire to be correct
My FIL horrible about that, his trailers were wired where it would work on his pickup only. Try to hookup to another truck with the plug wired correctly and nothing worked right

This was my grandfather as well, and he would use plugs that no other truck in the world had

ETA: I remember when he bought a brand new trailer one time, probably the first new trailer he had ever owned. Instead of getting the plug on his truck matched to the trailer (and everyone else that used the trailer truck), he changed the plug on the trailer
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:53:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By paul463:

This.  Don't fuck around making the trailer match whatever fucked up way your tow vehicle is wired.  Wire the trailer right and fix the shit mess on the tow vehicle to work with a correctly wired trailer.
And run your grounds all to the plug.  Don't depend on the trailer chassis and ball hitch to be part of your ground circuit.

And if you have any of these;
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51xq0Dp8HzL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

The best most reliable way to use them is.......

To shove them in your ass.
View Quote

I have a trailer that I can see some of those, it's had them since new.... I dread the day the wiring starts to crap out
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:56:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By hotdog250j:
While you're at it someone send Featherlite that  plug diagram. I replaced the old plug with new, one wire at a time. None were the color molded onto the plug.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hotdog250j:
Originally Posted By maslin02:
And use different color wires. Don't be the asshole who rewires it with one spool of wire.

Someone should tell Winnebago.
While you're at it someone send Featherlite that  plug diagram. I replaced the old plug with new, one wire at a time. None were the color molded onto the plug.

That's b/c there are 3 different 7-Way Styles. SAE/Traditional, RV, and the Commercial
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:59:48 AM EDT
[#19]

@UTex86

It is polar wire's  arctic ultra flex trailer wire, super high quality wire, made specifically for wiring trailers...They sell all sorts of wire pretty much anything needed for automotive use....Its all we use for all wiring..worth every penny just for the lack of headaches.......

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/Screenshot_2024-04-29_at_6_52_39_PM_png-3201702.JPG

https://polarwire.com/aufb-trailer.html
View Quote

I love using Polar Wire and I miss being able to just swing by their shop to pick up wire for a project.

I'm going to need to take an inventory of what I've got, and then put in an order with them for what I need for some upcoming projects.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#20]
I want to be a pro
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#21]
OP works like I do
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#22]
All the trailers I’ve built or re wired have hard conduit ram to run the wires in.

Large box on the tongue that connects to the plug. Makes it easy to replace the plug. Then 1/2” conduit everywhere with metal
Boxes for everything.

Worst case I have to pull some wires through some Conduit to fix an issue.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:51:48 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

LOL.  A tree rat ate the main wiring harness in my riding mower - to the point where the shredded harness was sitting on the ground.  I rewired everything to the best I could figure out, but was left with 6 mystery connections.  Not only did I rewire everything with the same color, but those 6 wires are extra long and connected with wire nuts, because I figured I might need to try out like 50 different combinations to get it to work before I soldered those final connections.  The moment I got the mower running I declared the project done. I apologize now to my future self when I ever need to work in that thing again.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#24]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_2754__1__jpeg-3201020.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_2755__1__jpeg-3201022.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_2751_jpeg-3201287.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_2701_jpeg-3201292.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_2732__1__jpeg-3201027.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_3758_jpeg-3201024.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/Screen_Shot_2022-08-23_at_9_26_38_PM_png-3201025.JPG
View Quote

Are those "S" hook light duty safety chains enough for that trailer?
The other pics show gold hooks which is adequate I think. Why did you change them? Or is it a different trailer?

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:43:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKSnowRider] [#25]
Originally Posted By Codyboy:

Are those "S" hook light duty safety chains enough for that trailer?
The other pics show gold hooks which is adequate I think. Why did you change them? Or is it a different trailer?

View Quote

They got changed, they were what came on this trailer, when the trailer pivot came apart we rolled it in the shop and rebuilt the trailer..The chains and hooks were changed for bigger ones before the trailer rolled down the road.....
Here it is done with the right chains and hooks on it...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:47:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Boat wire works pretty damn good also.
Handles corrosion a bit better as it is tinned.

I also have to wire up the flat bottom boat this year. With all the rain last year I chickened put and did not wire it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Last time I rewired I just ran it through the square steel frame, decking played no part.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:19:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I spent days trying to figure out why my trailer lights weren't working. Sometimes they did, sometimes they didn't. Sometimes the right flasher would work, some times the left flasher would.

Turns out the bulb in my continuity tester was loose.

Yes, I'm a dumbass.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:36:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Hellbent_4:
I wired a guys custom Harley with all red wire because he wanted it to match the paint . . .

Keep EVERYTHING labeled until it runs.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hellbent_4:
I wired a guys custom Harley with all red wire because he wanted it to match the paint . . .

Keep EVERYTHING labeled until it runs.

We had a contractor rewire a refinery process heater control panel with 50 relays in the panel and they used all yellow wire.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top