Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:53:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By cavedog:
https://www.counton2.com/news/national-news/ap-police-officer-hiring-in-us-increases-in-2023-after-years-of-decline-survey-shows/

Police departments across the United States are reporting an increase in their ranks for the first time since the COVID-19 pandemic and the 2020 killing of George Floyd, which led to a historic exodus of officers, a survey shows.

More sworn officers were hired in 2023 than in any one of the previous four years, and fewer officers overall resigned or retired, according to the 214 law enforcement agencies that responded to a survey by the Police Executive Research Forum, or PERF.

Floyd’s death at the hands of Minneapolis police officers spurred nationwide protests against police brutality and heightened scrutiny of law enforcement.

As more and more officers left, many of the departments had to redeploy stretched resources by shifting officers away from investigative work or quality of life issues such as abandoned vehicles or noise violations to handle increases in crime and, in some cases, the shortages meant slower response times or limiting responses to emergencies only, police officials say.

“I just think that the past four years have been particularly challenging for American policing,” said Chuck Wexler, executive director of PERF, a nonprofit policing think tank based in Washington, D.C. “And our survey shows we’re finally starting to turn a corner.”

Individual departments are turning that corner at different rates, however, according to Wexler, who noted many are still struggling to attract and keep officers.

As a whole, the profession “isn’t out of the woods yet,” he said.

The Associated Press left phone and email messages with several unions and police departments to ask about increased hiring.

The survey shows that while small and medium departments had more sworn officers than they did in January 2020, large departments are still more than 5% below their staffing levels from that time, even with a year-over-year increase from 2022 to 2023.

The survey also showed smaller departments with fewer than 50 officers are still struggling with a higher rate of resignations and retirements.

The survey asked only for numbers, Wexler said, so it’s hard to say whether those officers are leaving for larger departments or leaving the profession altogether. He also said smaller departments, which account for 80% of agencies nationwide, were underrepresented in the responses PERF received.

Many larger departments have increased officer pay or started offering incentives such as signing bonuses for experienced officers who are willing to transfer, something smaller departments can’t really compete with. At least a dozen smaller departments have disbanded, leaving the municipalities they once served to rely on state or county help for policing.

But even some of the highest-paying large departments are still struggling to get new hires in the door.

“I don’t think it’s all about money. I think it’s about the way people perceive their job and feel they are going to be supported,” Wexler said. “You have West Coast departments that are paying six figures, but still seeing major challenges in hiring.”

In addition to pay and bonuses, many agencies are reexamining their application requirements and hiring processes.

Wexler believes some of those changes make sense, including allowing visible tattoos, reweighing the importance of past financial issues and processing applicants’ background checks faster. But he cautioned that PERF does not support lowering standards for training or for applicants.

Maria “Maki” Haberfeld, chair of the Department of Law, Police Science and Criminal Justice Administration at John Jay College of Criminal Justice, says departments have been too focused on officer numbers. She worries some are lowering education requirements and other standards to bolster numbers instead of trying to find the best people to police their communities.

“Policing is a real profession that requires more skills and more education than people can understand,” she said. “It’s not about tattoos or running a mile in 15 minutes. It’s really more about emotional intelligence, maturity and making those split-second decisions that don’t use deadly force.”

Haberfeld also cautioned that any staffing gains made through incentives could easily be erased, especially as officers, including some in riot gear, have been seen breaking up protests against the Israel-Hamas war at universities across the country.

“In policing, it takes decades to move forward and a split second for the public attitude to deteriorate,” she said.

PERF’s survey showed a more than a 20% drop in resignations overall, from a high of almost 6,500 in 2022 to fewer than 5,100 in 2023. They are still up over early pandemic levels in 2020, however, when a few more than 4,000 officers resigned across all responding departments.

As with the hiring increases, the rate of decrease in retirements tended to depend on the size of the departments. There were fewer retirements in 2023 than in 2019 at large departments, slightly more retirements at medium departments and elevated retirements at small departments. The survey found a steep drop in resignations at large agencies with 250 or more officers and medium-size agencies with between 50 and 249 officers.

In addition to pay and benefit increases, the improved retention can be partly attributed to a shift in how some public officials view their public safety departments, Wexler says.

“We went from having public discourse about defunding the police just a few years ago to public officials waking up to the fact their workforce is leaving,” he said. “I don’t think there’s any question that there has been a sea change among political leaders.”
View Quote

the world needs more fat dumb NPCs that will just obey. good for them
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:00:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I stopped reading OP's post at "The killing of George Floyd".
Bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:15:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cavedog] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lexustech48:

No, that shitstain died from a lethal Fentanyl overdose.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lexustech48:
Originally Posted By cavedog:
*snip*
Floyd’s death at the hands of Minneapolis police officers spurred nationwide protests against police brutality and heightened scrutiny of law enforcement.

*snip*

No, that shitstain died from a lethal Fentanyl overdose.

I know that.  I didn't write the article, I just posted it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:20:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:
Retirements slowed for the very simple reason that that is no one left to retire.  Many police stayed on past their initial retirement in better days, but now every one of those has pulled the rip cord.  The only retirements you see now are folks that file paperwork on day one of retirement eligibility.  

Quitting rates of new hires under the new "reimagined" academies and hiring standards is horrifying.  You graduate 50, you'll have under 30 left at their one year mark.  That's an incredible waste of money and time.  

Locally, people are quitting within one WEEK of working the street.

They've stripped out combatives, so they cannot fight.
Live role play classes, severely reduced so they don't know how to interact.
Physical fitness, gone.
Firearms classes are somewhat immune since there are state minimums, but tactical training is curtailed.
Training materials are vetted for racism, DEI crap etc so they don't get the academics they REALLY need.
The end result is some poor bastard thrown into the deep end upon graduation who is expected to OJT in a minefield of wokeness
View Quote

I could have written the same exact post for Nevada.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:22:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By UV18:
CA Highway Patrol upped their hiring pay to 117k.

View Quote

Doesn't get you a better cop, you just get more, better paid, poor quality cops.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By silver_back110:
Increasing starting pay is a start, but the failing standards beyond that are unacceptable.
View Quote

Don't forget the ridiculous administration and ROE that puts the officer in horrific danger while releasing the same criminals if they do get arrested.

Very demoralizing.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:27:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Tin_Star:
I stopped reading OP's post at "The killing of George Floyd".
Bullshit.
View Quote

Yeah, that bothered me too.

But I do love me some honest cop bashing where it is deserved. And these hiring situations deserve every slap they can get.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:28:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By durtychemist:

They still won’t hire you if you’ve smoked weed. Ever.  Imagine if someone who smoked pot in high school could pass their background check process.  They’d have a lot more people interested. Until they change their mind legally about marijuana they won’t get anything more than guys who wanted to be a cop their whole life, and those are rare.
View Quote

Not true AT ALL!!!

Weed use has been accepted for a long time. What matters is time since last use.

Add in states where it is legal and you really see acceptance of it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:40:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By StraightShootinGal:

Yep....

Gotta create Brownshirts from somewhere...

The lower the garbage that is brought in, the more likely they will bend the knee to keep their job and power over others...

If you thought the corruption in law enforcement we had was bad, wait till these shits come along.
View Quote

Feature, not a bug.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Jackslack:

Doesn't get you a better cop, you just get more, better paid, poor quality cops.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jackslack:
Originally Posted By UV18:
CA Highway Patrol upped their hiring pay to 117k.

The agencies that really need to boost pay are the historically under paid agencies and I doubt that they're raising their pay. Either they can't afford to or aren't willing to
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#11]
They're lured in by the hiring benefits.

A lot of them quit in the academy or within a year or two of finishing training.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:36:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: John-in-austin] [#12]
Originally Posted By tc556guy:
Every twenty years or so there's a generational turn-over in police staffing. Guys who could retire definitely headed out the door after Floyd and that incident made it harder to recruit, but the flood of outgoing bodies had to stop sooner or later because they ran out of people who are eligible to retire. Pretty much every agency around here is staffed entirely with people who have less than four years of service. In another twenty years it'll happen again. It's all happened before
View Quote

It also has an effect on experience and training.  An FTO used to be a patrol officer with a decade under his belt.  Now it's a THREE YEAR officer training new cadets. Rookies vetting rookies.

Same applies to promotions. 15 year patrol supervisors are now 6 year patrol supervisors, etc.

A word about increasing pay.  Austin offered a pay increase to persuade officers NOT to retire.  No one that I'm aware of took it.  They also offered a 15K hiring bonus to cadets.  It didn't budge the application numbers one bit.  They also tried to bring back retirees as part timers for OT pay scale.  I think a few looked at it but I believe that program died too.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:16:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VaniB] [#13]
I am sorry to say that it must be people without skills or much of an education.

You don't take a job like that today to subject yourself to the worst abuse of today's sick society unless you're good for nothing else. It's a thankless job and a dangerous one.

40 years ago I wanted to be a cop but didnt want starting with graveyard shift, and instead chose to become a licensed tradesman. I still back them 95% of the time, so it's not like I'm biased against them.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:44:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By VaniB:
I am sorry to say that it must be people without skills or much of an education.

You don't take a job like that today to subject yourself to the worst abuse of today's sick society unless you're good for nothing else. It's a thankless job and a dangerous one.

40 years ago I wanted to be a cop but didnt want starting with graveyard shift, and instead chose to become a licensed tradesman. I still back them 95% of the time, so it's not like I'm biased against them.
View Quote

For a lot or most of the good ones it was a real desire to do it do the thankless job help and try to improve it wasn’t about the money. A large portion in that group have since decided it’s no longer worth the risk to easy to stay out of it and have a better life doing something else. Less stress, risk and more money, better benefits.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:38:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By VaniB:

40 years ago I wanted to be a cop but didn't want starting with graveyard shift, and instead chose to become a licensed tradesman. I still back them 95% of the time, so it's not like I'm biased against them.
View Quote

Locally the pays not bad compared to anything else thats available.
The main drivers to the local economy are agriculture, education and tourism.
There are a ton of non-profits, and the people with useless masters degrees seem to end up running those, for better or worse.
If you're going to get into education, without a PhD you're stuck teaching public school. Without a Masters you're stuck teaching lower elementary grades.
Manufacturing has been drying up for decades. One of the biggest manufacturing plants left is going to start winding down operations in the next couple of years as the parent company shifts jobs south or across the border even more than they already have
Neither agriculture nor tourism pay great amounts of money.
There's always work in the trades if you are good at it.
I imagine that its the same pretty much everywhere else.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top