Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I took a kayak trip in Kawaii.  One of the places we went through is where Indiana Jones swung out into the river to the float plane in Raiders of the Lost Ark.  It was very overgrown with mangroves.  No way would a plane get in there now.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Some scenes from 1883 were shot in my home town.

I had a college class in the classroom from Water Boy where he tackles the professor.

I’ve been to Alcatraz.

My dad’s best friend, his parents owned some of the property that Deliverance will filmed on.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By stoner63a:
The Brandenburg Gate, Potsdamer Platz and Checkpoint Charlie (Bravo & Alpha, too)
View Quote
I forgot about that. Same, same.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By RadioHack:
Downtown Dallas where the Zapruder film was shot.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Flysc:
I always thought it would be cool to visit the location where Magua had his last fight in Last of the Mohicans.

Any of you ever vist a non-studio scene location of one of your favorite movies?
View Quote
Pulaski Skyway/Bridge. NY/NJ metro. Ayyyyy
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:54:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Stripes,  the scene where the "big toe" speech takes place was being used for in processing when I went to basic in the early 90s. Bunch of scared privates, looking around at all the division patches on the walls, thinking it seems oddly familiar.
Drill Sergeant walks in, "Yeah they filmed that movie here, now pay attention!"

The Lehi Roller mill in Lehi Utah where they filmed the original Footloose.

The bridge from Jaws on Martha's Vineyard.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:57:19 AM EDT
[#7]
The Alamo.

Anywhere/everywhere in Key West.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Downtown Covina, CA, where the TV show Roswell was filmed. I lived in Covina and West Covina so downtown was pretty familiar. The theatre there showed the Rocky Horror Picture Show every weekend for years.
Los Angeles County Fire Station 127 which is the fictional Station 51 from Emergency.
Empire State Building.
Indian Dunes Motorcycle Park in the late 70s early 80s where the Baa Baa Black Sheep set was. Along with lots of other Vietnam era show sets were. Most notoriously, this was where the helicopter crash that killed Vic Morrow and 2 kids on the Twilight Zone movie happened. It's all farm land now.
Puente Hills Mall where Back To The Future was filmed for the parking lot scene.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Godfather, cafe where Michael Corleone talks to father of girl he is smitten with.

The cafe is still there and so is the street Michael and his body guards walked on.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:16:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Boomer] [#10]
Warshal’s Sporting Goods store in downtown Seattle served as the gun store in Harry and the Hendersons. I bought a couple of rifles there. Both the store and building it was in are long gone.

I also recognize many of the locations in McQ, a John Wayne detective movie that was set and filmed in Seattle.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:16:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I have not been, but would like to go to Malibu Creek State Park where the series M*A*S*H was filmed. Anyone been? Was it worth it or was it a letdown?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Fried green Tomatoes. I lived in Juliette Ga.  A couple miles from where they filmed scenes about the diner.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I thought of a few more.

The strip club in The Ice Harvest was a closed down fish restaurant where I had eaten many times.

The motel that Steve Martin and John Candy drive through in Planes, Trains and Automobiles. My friends parents owned the motel.
My nephews family was the local RC Cola distributor and had a machine outside the motel. The production company made them come remove the RC machine so they could put the Pepsi machine you can see in its place for product placement. After shooting my nephew reinstalled the RC machine.

Also from Planes Trains and Automobiles. Braidwood Inn is where the  “Those aren’t pillows” exteriors were shot.

Several places that are in the movie Thief.

The mall from The Blues Brothers.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#14]
My wife and I have been to the Manhattan town home, where  "Breakfast at Tiffany's" was filmed.
My wife and oldest son, who was a baby, visited the set of "Magnum PI" in the mid-1980s. They were with a group of US Navy wives.
One wife asked Selleck for a kiss.
He replied that he did not kiss other men's wives, but that he would kiss a baby.  He reached over and kissed our son.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Tooling around Lake Powell in a rental boat.  My first thought was "This place looks like the Planet of the Apes."
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:51:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SnowboundinNH] [#16]
A few. I lived in California and my kids were in a bunch of TV shows. My son was an extra in Ford vs. Ferrari, so technically I'm in the movie because all the parents were in the press box which is in the movie, you just can't see through the glass.

I also found the location of the big shootout from Heat. It's only a block from US Bank Tower, which is also in Independence Day.

I took this from the Press Box at Willow Springs Raceway. This is the scene where the kid runs up and asks Carroll Shelby (Matt Damon) for his autograph. It was 110 degrees, extras were dropping like flies from the heat and the cars were full of umbrellas for the extras to stay cool between takes. The girl on the far left (blue jacket, pink pants) had some weird medical condition where she can't sweat. She was probably the worst medical emergency of the day. At one point there were at least two dozen extras being treated by medics as heat injuries in the press box which AC could only get down to about 85 degrees. The girl I mentioned was taken to the hospital.

Attachment Attached File

Scene from Heat

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:57:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Back when Silver Springs was private you could take your boat right into the main basin and scuba dive on the east edge of it. (Needed a permit to dive in the main spring)

They had a sign indicating where you could start scuba dives.

Monster current would blow you down the Silver River at +-3 knots for a crystal clear, three mile, drift dive all the way back to the boat ramp.

Haven't been there since the main spring area became a state park.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:02:35 PM EDT
[#18]
On Potrero road in Hidden Valley there's a section where there are horse ranches.
There's white fences boarding the road on both sides.
There have been thousands of TV commercials, shows and films that have been shot along that section of road.

On PCH heading north coming out of the curves right before NAS Point Mugu is Mugu Rock.
Again, there have been thousands of TV commercials, shows and films that have been shot along that section of road.

When I was stationed at NAS Point Mugu me and my friends used to ride sportbikes in and around those areas.

Same with the MASH TV show set on the grounds of the Malibu Creek State Park.
I used to ride mountain bikes on all of those trails.
Since I had a Military ID card I could access a lot of roads and trails there were on Navy property.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:03:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I grew up in Queens, NY. Been to this place often in my younger years. I belive it burnt down.

GoodFellas | Henry Hill | Tommy DeVito | Airline Diner | Bamboo Lounge
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File

This is the dam in Switzerland where they filmed the opening Bungee Jump scene in Golden Eye.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:10:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bama-Shooter] [#21]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:13:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Attachment Attached File

Near the base of The Eiger and Kleine Scheidegg where they filmed scenes from The Eiger Sanction
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:13:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Have been to and lived at truly countless set locations.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:17:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#25]
A couple.

Smokey And The Bandit.

The Cannonball Run.

I currently live near several Duke Of Hazzard* (TV) filming locations, but that's another topic.

*The first 5 episodes were filmed in GA.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:24:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RattleCanAR] [#26]
Was on set at some of the filming of the 80s movie Lords of Discipleship and Swamp Thing.

My son got married on Easter Sunday where Swamp Thing was filmed. They still have some of the giant cypress tree snags they made out of fiberglass on site. They look surprisingly real, even now and up close.

Some of the movie The Patriot is 10 miles from my home.

Thomas Sumter is buried only 2 miles around the corner so to speak.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:32:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Sparkvark:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180018/1000003574_jpg-3200380.JPG

Near the base of The Eiger and Kleine Scheidegg where they filmed scenes from The Eiger Sanction
View Quote

But, that's not the Eiger.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:53:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Flysc:
I always thought it would be cool to visit the location where Magua had his last fight in Last of the Mohicans.

Any of you ever vist a non-studio scene location of one of your favorite movies?
View Quote

Quite a few if you count locations around the world. Rome, Paris, London, Vienna, Spain, Salzburg, Florence, Panama, Chantilly, San Antonio, Taylor (TX-Don Johnson "The Hot Spot"), Brussels, Mismaloya (Mexico "The Night of the Iguana"), Juarez, Sienna, Monte Carlo, Chichen Itza, Saigon, Shanghai, Beijing, NOLA, Milan, Jamaica, Istanbul, Athens, Las Vegas, etc
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:55:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JMD] [#30]
Been at the Kentucky State Penitentiary dozens of times due to work.

Where they filmed the documentary with Booty Warrior in it.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:06:41 PM EDT
[#31]
There are lots in Vancouver, including a couple of productions at the train station I worked at.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:06:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GI-45] [#32]
Three that come to mind are:

Franklin Canyon Park in Los Angeles, where the opening of The Andy Griffith Show was filmed.

Santa Maria Public Airport in California, where The Spirit of St. Louis was filmed.

Goblin Valley State Park in Utah, where Galaxy Quest was filmed.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:16:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Live right down the street from Presque Isle State Park where they filmed the beach scenes in The Road movie.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:19:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hawkeye4771] [#34]
The James Cagney 1938 classic movie "Angel's with Dirty Faces" was filmed partly at Sing Sing Prison. Warner Bros. studios built a new gymnasium at the bottom of the hill in thanks for permission to film there. At the end of the movie James Cagney's charachter " Rocky Sullivan " is sent to the electric chair. He makes the final walk from the holding cell in what's called the " Dance Hall " past all the other cells. He has a look on his face that could freeze water!!! He's asked at the end by his priest to go to the chair " Yellow " so as to steer young boys away from idolizing a life of crime as a gangster like him. He says he can't do it!! They shake hands and as Cagney approaches the chair you see his shadow and struggling and hear his voice crying out " I don't wanna die"!!! His hands grab hold of a radiator and the CO's yank his hands off of it. When I worked at Sing Sing I was in the Death House and touched that radiator. I'm here to tell you the hair on my arms stood up on end knowing I was in a room where like 600 people were put to death. One can only imagine what went thru their minds as they looked at the chair all wired up knowing in a matter of minutes they'll die!!  
Alright fellas, let's go and say a prayer for a boy who couldn't run as fast as I could
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Katz's Deli.

Preferred Carnegie Deli.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes and yes
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Does Los Angeles count?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:40:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:
Yes and yes
View Quote

Wow! Really? We never would have guessed!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Excluding So Many NYC film locations, including The Empire State Building, Times Square, etc.
I'll merely say: I was there when the Final Scene of Arthur was filmed.
Walking southbound on Park Avenue with the then Pan-Am building a few blocks away. I was heading for Grand Central Station.  (Cue the approp scenes here)
I got to St. Bartholomew's Church where I and a few other passersby were told to go up on top of the stairs to the main entrance.
We got to see Liza Minnelli, Dudley Moore and Ted Ross perform The Final, Freeze Frame scene to The Movie.

Three notes:
1) The Rolls Royce went around the block twice
2) The person crossing the street was NOT an Extra, meet another New Jerker.
3) The gals foot sticking out of the Roll's window was an extra.

Most Interesting way to spend a Saturday in May around 7 PM.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:00:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Three that I can remember.

Hunger Games town: abandoned town off I-40 in NC.

Exorcist stairs: Stairs that the priest falls down. It’s in Georgetown.

MASH set: I was at a party in California, looking out at the sandy hills behind the house it seemed familiar. The owner of the house walked up and asked me if I recognized the area. Then he told me it was in the opening of MASH. It was the opening scene when the helicopter landed and brought in wounded. Then the stars came out to take the wounded in.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:02:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Powderfinger] [#41]
Originally Posted By LeeFred:
The Goldfield Hotel in Goldfield, NV.  Super Soul (Clevon Little) broadcast his show from the bottom corner closest to the camera in the move, Vanishing Point.

https://i.imgur.com/C5peH5W.jpg
View Quote

I never knew that was in a movie.

My friend and I spent a night there with a band of hippies/bums when my car broke down while traveling through in 1976. They rented the building for $50/month. No running water.

Weirdest, craziest time I've ever crammed into 24 hours.

It included a visit here with Jim and Rocky (sheriff and his deputy, forget which was which) where I was released without being booked.
I had hitchhiked for Tonapah to get a wheel bearing and got picked up by a gorgeous young lady with Georgia plates on her car. She asked if I had money for gas and I said "Sure". She made a u-turn and headed back toward town, then made a turn into the city dump after saying she had to go back and get her boyfriend. Thinking I was about to be rolled, I pulled my Schrade fixed blade and told her to stop and let me out.
She then became hysterical.
The turn off, I later learned, was because she saw the sheriff's car approaching and she hoped to ditch him.
Her boyfriend was already in jail and Jim and Rocky took the girl and me in. He was charged with kidnapping (the girl was 16) and stealing the girl's mom's car. They were in love and headed to CA to start a new life.
I was let go when they realized we weren't a "gang" and had simply showed up in town the evening before at the same time and spent the night in Goldfield.
Attachment Attached File
c
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:09:56 PM EDT
[#42]
On the Water Front with Marlon Brando. I was born there in Jersey City/Hoboken. Great childhood memories.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:13:18 PM EDT
[#43]
I've stood on the ammo bunker, John Goodman was sitting on. When he was doused with fire retardant in the movie "Always."
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:21:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wookie1562] [#44]

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:25:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By zach_:

Nope.
View Quote

What exactly are you saying nope to?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:38:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By L_JE:

But, that's not the Eiger.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure it is unless I pulled the wrong picture off my phone..  it's the hike from Mannlichen to the train station at Kliene Scheidegg where you can take the train back down to Wegen
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By electrojk:

@BillythePoet
I forgot all about The Hot Spot, got to watch them film some scenes at the car lot set they built on 2nd street next Louie Mueller's.

I'm going to have to watch Blood Simple now to see how many places I recognize. I have never heard of the movie which is surprising since I've lived in Hutto for most of my 46 years.  

Do you remember the movie Heartbreak Hotel that was filmed in/around Taylor in the late 80s? They filmed a scene right by my cousins house off of CR101/Hwy 79 of the characters walking in the field between the big power lines.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By electrojk:
Originally Posted By BillythePoet:
Pretty much every scene in this movie, including the swimming hole which I'm not allowed to post, lol. I got to see some of the shoots for The Hot Spot and What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/160767/1000004463_jpg-3200140.JPG

I grew up in and around Travis and Williamson Counties, which have been featured in a ton of movies even when not counting Austin itself. Lots of historic downtown areas which made for good scenery in the 80s and 90s. Blood Simple hits me with massive nostalgia every time I see the scenes around Hutto.

@BillythePoet
I forgot all about The Hot Spot, got to watch them film some scenes at the car lot set they built on 2nd street next Louie Mueller's.

I'm going to have to watch Blood Simple now to see how many places I recognize. I have never heard of the movie which is surprising since I've lived in Hutto for most of my 46 years.  

Do you remember the movie Heartbreak Hotel that was filmed in/around Taylor in the late 80s? They filmed a scene right by my cousins house off of CR101/Hwy 79 of the characters walking in the field between the big power lines.

@electrojk
That's the same location we watched! Louie Mueller was a weekly meal with my grandparents and it will always be my favorite. I remember them mentioning Heartbreak Hotel being shot, but I never watched it. Got to see one of the Texas Chainsaw Massacres near Round Rock I think. I was pretty young then though. Definitely check out Blood Simple.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Reception at Ft.Jackson where scenes from Renaissance Man were filmed.

Downtown Cape Girardeau, MO where Gone Girl was filmed.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:
Yup, every film scene location in Red Dawn.  
View Quote

You found their camp sites in the mountains?

I've been to all the locations in town, except the bluffs over looking the town, but i've never been able tobfind the forrest locations or how to get to the top of the rocks where Aardvaark did the famous "Wolveines!" Pose.

Oh yea, and the hotel Castaneda is open again, so you can stay in the hotel where Col. Bella had his headquarters.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top