BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:55:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Primecube] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By eurotrash:

Visiting my sisters. It’s also the halfway point to The Villages in Florida where I’m headed next to see my parents.

Going to the Nashville SC game tonight.
View Quote

Ha-My in-laws live in the Villages.
Keep your eyes open in Nashville and have fun!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By DragoMuseveni:
If the POS is down there's no way to take an order or pay for it, even with cash.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DragoMuseveni:
Originally Posted By eurotrash:
I'm at Penn Station East Coast Subs in Nashville. Their system is down and there is a line of Millennials waiting for the system to come back up so they can place their orders. Luckily, cash is part of my EDC, so I skipped the line.
If the POS is down there's no way to take an order or pay for it, even with cash.

If they have an employee with an IQ over 100, it's possible. Memorized prices from ringing up items daily (or a calculator and a tax chart) and write down the orders to enter when the POS comes back up.

I used to do that when the power went out at the convenience store I managed.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:09:48 PM EDT
[#3]
A month ago I was visiting my sister and BIL.  One of their sons and his wife were also visiting.  The BIL wanted to go to fish fry, so we went out for dinner.  

It was at a small bar in WI, and it was a cash only bar.  My sister and BIL didn't have enough cash with them, so I offered to pay.  I asked how much she needed to pay the bill, and she told me $60.

My nephew and his wife(25/26yo - technially Gen Z) were amazed I had enough cash on hand to cover the bill.  They acted like I was Daddy Warbucks.  I told them I typically had $200 in my wallet and would let it get down to around $100 before I refilled it.  They couldn't wrap their heads around this idea.

My BIL rebuilds cars as a hobby, and I know he used to go to a lot of swap meets.  I bet alot of those guys would have $5-10k in their wallet to cover the parts they wanted to buy.

I rarely use cash, so the vast wealth I store in my wallet will last me a long time.

So, yeah, I know the youngsters don't carry cash.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:10:36 PM EDT
[#4]
got dayum millennials.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:12:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JamesJones:

Boomers use checks. GenX is actually the biggest cash carrying gen in my experience.

Millennials don't have any money
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Cash is king, I carry a cash allowance every week
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By nmxdavenn:
I only carry gold with me.

None of that trash fiat stuff!
View Quote

WTF? You took my post!

Unless by gold you me coins.

I carry around gold dust, chunks, and 1 nugget.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:17:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Szilagyi-hpg:
I’m gen z, I always carry $2,000 with me in case anything pops uphttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/402525/IMG_7912_jpeg-3199328.JPG
View Quote

Tip down carry?

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:17:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep , nothing like waiting in line with cash in your hand waiting for people , of any age , trying to get their card to work or trying to find one that has any credit left on it .
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:17:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By MrKandiyohi:
A month ago I was visiting my sister and BIL.  One of their sons and his wife were also visiting.  The BIL wanted to go to fish fry, so we went out for dinner.  

It was at a small bar in WI, and it was a cash only bar.  My sister and BIL didn't have enough cash with them, so I offered to pay.  I asked how much she needed to pay the bill, and she told me $60.

My nephew and his wife(25/26yo - technially Gen Z) were amazed I had enough cash on hand to cover the bill.  They acted like I was Daddy Warbucks.  I told them I typically had $200 in my wallet and would let it get down to around $100 before I refilled it.  They couldn't wrap their heads around this idea.

My BIL rebuilds cars as a hobby, and I know he used to go to a lot of swap meets.  I bet alot of those guys would have $5-10k in their wallet to cover the parts they wanted to buy.

I rarely use cash, so the vast wealth I store in my wallet will last me a long time.

So, yeah, I know the youngsters don't carry cash.
View Quote

My experiences are the same.

This is literally my life when I have to shuttle Gen Z relatives around in my truck that's older than them

Terminator Salvation "Alice In Chains Rooster, Scene"
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Gen X and I don't carry cash.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:19:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I carry cash for a number of reasons. Guys in the shop are always buying shit they can't afford and wanting to sell it since their wife is complainging about it and they need to pay rent, buy food etc... I've bought a number of guns, guitars and a couple of boats with cash at pretty good discounts and sometimes they are almost new.

You don't have to carry it here but you need the ability to get some quickly at the house. A hurricane blows in and cash talks when shit goes down. During Katrina a friend didn't get paid because his employer was down and even though him and his wife do really well they were afraid for their bills since apparently they lived paycheck to paycheck.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:19:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By byron2112:
View Quote

+1 Cash is King
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:20:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I use Apple Pay whenever possible and carry three cards but I always carry a minimum of $7-800 in cash. To not carry any cash is just lazy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:22:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:24:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I keep some cash in my wallet.  I've had times the card readers at various stores are out, or I need to tip someone, or my kids want to go with friends to eat out.  It helps to have a few bucks around.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By CDW4ME:
I have cash for:
Small purchases
Credit card not working
Fee charged for credit card
Sit down restaurant

My boys don't carry cash, they have $20 in glovebox I put there in case of credit card problem and they need gas.
View Quote

My mom called my dad from the gas station, panicking that she left her purse at home. His response was “look in the glove box.”
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:25:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Learn from the experiences of others:

It was a special hospital, for radiology, and you couldn’t get in without a pass. I gave some money to the woman at the door, and she said, “Go ahead.”
View Quote

I measured the radiation. Once it got dark, these guys would pull up at our little station in cars and start giving us things: money, cigarettes, vodka. Just let us root around in the confiscated stuff. They'd pack their bags. Where'd they take it? Probably to Kiev and Minsk, to the second-hand markets.
View Quote

They made me put everything on the scale twice, until I realized what was happening and gave them some money. “Should have done that from the start, instead of arguing so much.” Everything's so simple!
View Quote

Voices from Chernobyl: The oral history of a nuclear disaster
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:27:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I try to keep at least $60 on me. Solid GenX
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Media_Noche:
I like to have $300-$500 on me at all times.
View Quote

Same here I carry 1k in cash 5/100.00 and the rest 20s. You never know when you'll come across a deal.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:32:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 21usernamechecksout:
Bank card malfunctions frequently,
It's good to have cash back up has saved my bacon a few times.
View Quote
Post office here seems to be a dice roll on whether their system is working. Several times a year it's cash only for gas until the system is back up.

I should carry some cash, but typically don't unless I've sold something recently. Most things that come up I don't absolutely need right then, so not a huge deal.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Szilagyi-hpg:
I'm gen z, I always carry $2,000 with me in case anything pops uphttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/402525/IMG_7912_jpeg-3199328.JPG
View Quote
I worked with a guy who always had $1k on him, or at least he was the only one who seemed to tell people that. Hopefully his mouth never got him mugged.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:36:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OverScoped] [#23]
View Quote
Mines always new money.
I won't carry used bills from the unwashed masses.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:38:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By LongTrang:

Same here.

Hate carrying cash.  Shit is nasty.  After you've worked in a bank....it will put you off on cash.  

View Quote

I like piling cash on the bed and rolling in it

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:39:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By SERVED_USMC:
The people that carry cash and the ones that don’t know how to use the ATM in a quick and efficient manner.

I’ve started carrying it more to tip rather than put it on the card. Trying to do my part by allowing the servers to tell Uncle Sam whatever they want to come tax time.
View Quote

Do this often. Charge meals and tip in cash
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By KnightStick:
Imagine having such a mundane life that this is a story you feel worthy of telling to strangers on the internet.
View Quote

You know this is very true.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Sandbowl1980:

Same here I carry 1k in cash 5/100.00 and the rest 20s. You never know when you'll come across a deal.
View All Quotes

One of the Fedex drivers in our building would carry a chunk of cash in his gym bag with him on the truck.

That guy would find the craziest deals on old people cars here in Florida. He'd stop by the shop every couple of weeks with his latest find. He told me that in a good year he'd make more flipping cars than as an employee. My friend that owned a tow truck did the same.

I've just never been good at the whole buy low sell high game....

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:49:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sandbowl1980] [#28]
Originally Posted By Miles_Urbanus:

It's a cautionary tale imo. Not getting a sandwich isn't an emergency but not being able to buy gasoline could be. Every grown man should have a little emergency cash in his pocket at all times.
View Quote

You're right also. I can't tell you how many times during hurricane season that people get fucked by not having any cash after a storm. You'll see signs cash only because no power, no internet. I also keep 200.00 in twenties hidden in my truck for emergency gas money. Anyone who thinks cash is outdated is an idoit. I've never in my life seen any business that does not take cash and I see it used all the time. Now checks....I've not used a check in over 20 years. I've got the original checks from when I open my accts. As a matter of fact on one of my banks I don't even have checks for it. I've got the old Wachovia checks before it sold. How many years ago was that.....a lot of business here now have a backup generator. But still cash only because no internet.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:51:54 PM EDT
[#29]
I agree with your sentiment on being able to go about your business using cash and not being tracked.  That would be entirely true about thirty years ago.  Today, your cell phone ubiquitous cameras everywhere and smart cars watches... tell a story of where you go.  I was interested in why they made us record all of the serial numbers on all our cash in basic training.  The very few times you got to pay for something, there was a worry about how you would take the spent money off of your list and add the new numbers of the change.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Anybody carrying less than $100 needs a beating.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:57:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sandbowl1980] [#31]
Originally Posted By Cobradriver:

One of the Fedex drivers in our building would carry a chunk of cash in his gym bag with him on the truck.

That guy would find the craziest deals on old people cars here in Florida. He'd stop by the shop every couple of weeks with his latest find. He told me that in a good year he'd make more flipping cars than as an employee. My friend that owned a tow truck did the same.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cobradriver:

I've been lucky on a few deals rifles, handguns and uppers. Bought one upper 450.00 and took the scope and bipod and sold the upper for 1100.00. Wish I'd keep that upper now.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:05:48 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't normally use cash. But I do keep some emergency cash on me...just in case.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Gen X and I usually have a few hundred in cash in my wallet. Even I do use debit, credit, Apple Pay more frequently.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#34]
How do you know they're millennials?

You know there are other Generations, right?

Zoomers
Gen z
Gen x
Boomers

I'm a millennial and I carry cash on me.
View Quote

Millennial has become slang for whatever the youngest generation is at the time.

Just the other day someone in GD was talking about millennials as if they are 20 years old.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:13:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OverScoped] [#35]
I sell a lot of raffle tickets for different charities.

You wouldn't believe how many kids (under 30 year olds) try to use venmo.
They say they  don't have cash.... I say  I don't take venmo.
They end up borrowing off adults.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:17:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By ACEB36TC:
I hope I don't live long enough to be a part of a "cashless society". It sounds like being a mouse on a treadmill for life with no way to get off.
View Quote

Yup, once we go cashless, the government can cut you off from purchases anytime it wants to.  Cash is King...cashless is for the subjects.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By fxntime:
That's good they don't. First garage sale I went to yesterday I got two full cases of grease tubes [Moly] for $5.
View Quote

Yup.  I carry cash on me and have a few hundred bucks locked in my vehicles (can and truck) for yard sales and the random tractor implement I might find.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Ozgur:

Yup, once we go cashless, the government can cut you off from purchases anytime it wants to.  Cash is King...cashless is for the subjects.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ozgur:
Originally Posted By ACEB36TC:
I hope I don't live long enough to be a part of a "cashless society". It sounds like being a mouse on a treadmill for life with no way to get off.

while a potential, it's very likely down on the list below being able to track and tax all transactions.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:31:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By RouxGaRoux:
OP whipped out his FDE Cordura wallet and let the Velcro tab rip, ensuring all who stood near know that cash is king.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:31:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By nmxdavenn:
I only carry gold with me.

None of that trash fiat stuff!
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By JustinU235:
Gen X and I don't carry cash.
View Quote

Have you ever been in a situation where cash was the only way to pay?

I know some restaurants have started to give cash discounts.  It's not a lot, but if you can save money by pulling out cash instead of a card, some people will go for that.  And some people would prefer the owners get all of the money instead of some of it going to a credit card company.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#42]
I usually carry $40-100 on me at any given time,  But I make sure that my wife always has $200 or so in her wallet. It's one way that I take care of her.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:32:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By MrKandiyohi:

Have you ever been in a situation where cash was the only way to pay?

I know some restaurants have started to give cash discounts.  It's not a lot, but if you can save money by pulling out cash instead of a card, some people will go for that.  And some people would prefer the owners get all of the money instead of some of it going to a credit card company.
View Quote

Yes, I left. I won't do business with "cash only" businesses.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:33:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Millennial here

Having 2-5 hundred bucks on you is great. Hell my barber only takes cash. The hardware place next door has an atm machine.

Everytime I’m in there people get instructed to go next door after they walked right by the “Cash Only” sign and received a haircut.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:33:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: runcible] [#45]
Originally Posted By Primecube:
I carry at least $300.00 to $500.00 cash on me at all times and a couple thousand $ when I travel.
I never have to use it as I pay for everything on my Ca$h back CC.
View Quote
Exactly. I wouldn't feel comfortable with no cash on me at all. Like I said before, I almost never use it, but I always have it.
Heck, last time I used cash, the bills had that smooth feel to them because they'd been in the wallet for so long.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:59:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By phungus:
Gen X'er here and I don't carry cash.
View Quote

This.  As a matter of fact, I took $400 out of my wallet and left on the nightstand last night.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:01:28 PM EDT
[#47]
fancy cat: i should get some cash.gif
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

Yup.  I give myself $400 every month carried in a money clip, any $20s left at the end of the month get folded and stored in my wallet up to a max of $300, any $20s over that limit go into the toy fund drawer.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:29:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By scotchymcdrinkerbean:

Yup.  I give myself $400 every month carried in a money clip, any $20s left at the end of the month get folded and stored in my wallet up to a max of $300, any $20s over that limit go into the toy fund drawer.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By scotchymcdrinkerbean:

Hah! I do close to the same thing, I have 28K in my ''whatever'' fund now and 300+ into the next K.

Since I quit buying any new guns, I don't spend much. There are only a couple guns I want and if they come along at a reasonable price I'll buy them, if not, I'm happy with what I have.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By GenoGS:

Millennial has become slang for whatever the youngest generation is at the time.

Just the other day someone in GD was talking about millennials as if they are 20 years old.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GenoGS:
How do you know they're millennials?

You know there are other Generations, right?

Zoomers
Gen z
Gen x
Boomers

I'm a millennial and I carry cash on me.

Yeah, because they're old. Old people are out of touch.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top