Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 25
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:35:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 556Cliff:

Well, at least that's not a "no" to the possibility of things going somewhere with this one. But dangit, it's taken a long time just to get to this point... Sure it's no 30 year long subconscious wait to hear back from a girl you still love from when you were a kid, but still.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CastleBravo91:

With Jamie, if I had to guess, probably thinks I'm moving too fast. She said she wants to get to know someone slowly, see if we can be friends, and then if it feels right begin a relationship. Well, of course, that's kinda how it should work, right? Maybe her idea was to meet a few times to see if we could be friends and exchanging numbers would be the next step after that. IDK, that's the only thing I can think of. Then you have girls like Hannah who asked for my number right off the bat. Not gonna lie, that kinda spooked me, wasn't expecting that at all. Whatever, plenty of fish in the sea.

Well, she actually responded. I told her "If you're not comfortable exchanging numbers, it's cool. I just thought it might be easier to communicate that way. You still want to talk?" She tells me this morning "Sorry, been busy this week with work blah blah blah, did stuff with family this weekend blah blah blah....yes, I guess it feels too early to be exchanging numbers...some other stuff ."

Gotta say I'm surprised she even responded, but maybe not all is lost. Still not getting my hopes up, but I suppose it's a good sign if she still wants to talk.

Well, at least that's not a "no" to the possibility of things going somewhere with this one. But dangit, it's taken a long time just to get to this point... Sure it's no 30 year long subconscious wait to hear back from a girl you still love from when you were a kid, but still.

Lol, right!

It's fine, I have nothing but time. No need to rush anything. But it does give me a useful bit of information: she's shy, and spooks easily. So I gotta be really careful not to come on too strong. Patience is a virtue. Which I have quite a bit of. Except when it comes to people doing really stupid things.

I'll message her again later tonight. Probably just chat with her for another week or two before asking when she wants to meet up. Let her ease up. Mother's day is this weekend anyway.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#2]
View Quote

I see that as a "no". But then again, I'm not experienced in these matters and am not exactly in a position to be giving such advice.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Walkure:

I see that as a "no". But then again, I'm not experienced in these matters and am not exactly in a position to be giving such advice.
View All Quotes

Don't put yourself down too much. You have waaaayyyyyyyy more experience than myself. No one should listen to any advice I might have on these kinds of things. This thread made that painfully obvious.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:43:38 PM EDT
[#4]
This went from "do single guys like race cars on the weekend and stuff?" To a dating thread lol
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:47:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:
This went from "do single guys like race cars on the weekend and stuff?" To a dating thread lol
View Quote

FWIW, my not-even-retired-yet father has been far more "adventurous" in some of the respects that the OP was alluding to as compared to my perpetually-single self. For example, he's done far more spontaneous motorcycling trips than I would ever consider. (Though sadly he decided to give up riding a few years back after a heart attack.)
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:48:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Lol, right!

It's fine, I have nothing but time. No need to rush anything. But it does give me a useful bit of information: she's shy, and spooks easily. So I gotta be really careful not to come on too strong. Patience is a virtue. Which I have quite a bit of. Except when it comes to people doing really stupid things.

I'll message her again later tonight. Probably just chat with her for another week or two before asking when she wants to meet up. Let her ease up. Mother's day is this weekend anyway.
View All Quotes

With Jamie, if I had to guess, probably thinks I'm moving too fast. She said she wants to get to know someone slowly, see if we can be friends, and then if it feels right begin a relationship. Well, of course, that's kinda how it should work, right? Maybe her idea was to meet a few times to see if we could be friends and exchanging numbers would be the next step after that. IDK, that's the only thing I can think of. Then you have girls like Hannah who asked for my number right off the bat. Not gonna lie, that kinda spooked me, wasn't expecting that at all. Whatever, plenty of fish in the sea.

Well, she actually responded. I told her "If you're not comfortable exchanging numbers, it's cool. I just thought it might be easier to communicate that way. You still want to talk?" She tells me this morning "Sorry, been busy this week with work blah blah blah, did stuff with family this weekend blah blah blah....yes, I guess it feels too early to be exchanging numbers...some other stuff ."

Gotta say I'm surprised she even responded, but maybe not all is lost. Still not getting my hopes up, but I suppose it's a good sign if she still wants to talk.

Lol, right!

No expert here (as has been made very clear), but seeing as she might be the shy/spooks easily type (similar to myself), would it be better to let her ask you about meeting up or is that not really an acceptable order of things? Literally clueless here, so that's not really my advice.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:51:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WhiskersTheCat] [#7]

FWIW, my not-even-retired-yet father has been far more "adventurous" in some of the respects that the OP was alluding to as compared to my perpetually-single self. For example, he's done far more spontaneous motorcycling trips than I would ever consider. (Though sadly he decided to give up riding a few years back after a heart attack.)
View All Quotes

The single gayest thing I didn't do was hike the Appalachian Trail at the origins two weeks to stop the spread meme. I knew it wouldn't be two weeks because I'm aware of how incremental power works.

I only console myself because I think they shut down the trails at some point. I was very very seriously considering doing it. I was still getting health insurance through my job, I had mountain house thanks to GD and I had a good backpack
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#8]
You have waaaayyyyyyyy more experience than myself.
View Quote

I take it you don't recall what I've posted before in other threads about my own comparative lack of experience, let alone anything resembling success, in these endeavors.

Though a mere fraction may seem huge in comparison to zero, such a small amount is better viewed from a larger perspective, to see how small it really is.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:54:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#9]
View Quote

I think the title of the thread is why we haven't heard most of the ARFCOM women chime in at some points honestly.

It went so off topic it's not even funny.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:57:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#10]

I take it you don't recall what I've posted before in other threads about my own comparative lack of experience, let alone anything resembling success, in these endeavors.

Though a mere fraction may seem huge in comparison to zero, such a small amount is better viewed from a larger perspective, to see how small it really is.
View All Quotes
You have waaaayyyyyyyy more experience than myself.

That's exactly right. I would say my future seemed bright at age 11 though... If I had only known.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#11]

The single gayest thing I didn't do was hike the Appalachian Trail at the origins two weeks to stop the spread meme. I knew it wouldn't be two weeks because I'm aware of how incremental power works.

I only console myself because I think they shut down the trails at some point. I was very very seriously considering doing it. I was still getting health insurance through my job, I had mountain house thanks to GD and I had a good backpack
View Quote
when the next fake plague starts the next lockdown i'ma renting a rustang and going cannonballing.

The INSANE Solo Cannonball Record Claim!

who's with me?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote
Gee Dee is long overdue for a proper dating thread.

alternatively:  disregard females, acquire currency.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#13]
That's exactly right.
View Quote

Don't neglect the bigger picture - and don't forget that in certain respects, my experience is also zero.

I'm also not that much younger than you, either.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:59:43 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote
still alone?

best see to that, son.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Don't neglect the bigger picture - and don't forget that in certain respects, my experience is also zero.

View Quote
you need to kick it up a notch or you're gonna be alone and weird for the rest of your life.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:00:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
when the next fake plague starts the next lockdown i'ma renting a rustang and going cannonballing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvQFDtJUdHw

who's with me?
View All Quotes

who's with me?

Dude I think the cannonball record got broken 3 times during covid
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:02:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Dude I think the cannonball record got broken 3 times during covid
View Quote
you say that like it's a bad thing.

if the next fake plague don't get me into a house in montucky and a dickload of cheap rentals to pretire on i'ma be pissed, bubs.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:08:00 PM EDT
[#18]

who's with me?
View All Quotes

who's with me?

You best pick me up bruddah. Jamal and Dan wreaking havoc across the country sounds pretty fucken epic to me.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:09:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By denverdan:

You best pick me up bruddah. Jamal and Dan wreaking havoc across the country sounds pretty fucken epic to me.

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas | Bat Country
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes
That's exactly right.

So it's maybe kind of like we're just on different sides of the same very small boat in our experience levels. I got ya, I know you've kinda followed most threads I've been at all involved with in GD over the last few years, so we must share some similar experiences.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:17:32 PM EDT
[#22]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=updoM-EuHrQ
View Quote
damn fine documentary.

damn fine.

i used to get lunch at the woody creek tavern with the Aspen Earthmoving bois who built the pad for the rocket that launched HST's ashes into orbit.

https://www.nyswritersinstitute.org/post/hunter-s-thompson-s-ashes-were-blasted-out-of-a-cannon-on-this-date-15-years-ago

RIP HST
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#23]

So it's maybe kind of like we're just on different sides of the same very small boat in our experience levels. I got ya, I know you've kinda followed most threads I've been at all involved with in GD over the last few years, so we must share some similar experiences.
View Quote
every man dies.

not every man lives.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#24]
damn fine documentary.

damn fine.

i used to get lunch at the woody creek tavern with the Aspen Earthmoving bois who built the pad for the rocket that launched HST's ashes into orbit.

https://www.nyswritersinstitute.org/post/hunter-s-thompson-s-ashes-were-blasted-out-of-a-cannon-on-this-date-15-years-ago

RIP HST
View All Quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=updoM-EuHrQ
damn fine documentary.

damn fine.

RIP HST

Holy shit that’s funny. In my early twenties I used to deliver water softener salt to both the Tavern and HST’s house. I never met him just him the caretaker of his property.

Oof that was a long time ago.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:23:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Holy shit that's funny. In my early twenties I used to deliver water softener salt to both the Tavern and HST's house. I never met him just him the caretaker of his property.

View Quote
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
 Hunter S. Thompson

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:27:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#26]
every man dies.
View All Quotes
every man dies.

On the edge of that experience... I don't want to die yet though, don't jinx my luck!

not every man lives.

Now that I know well.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#27]
you need to kick it up a notch or you're gonna be alone and weird for the rest of your life.
View All Quotes

When the friendly gals at work aren’t friendly.
When your gal pals act like you’re their ex.
When the gal you have an interest in gives ya the cold shoulder.
Being alone and weird ain’t so bad
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:30:58 PM EDT
[#28]
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
 Hunter S. Thompson

View All Quotes

Holy shit that's funny. In my early twenties I used to deliver water softener salt to both the Tavern and HST's house. I never met him just him the caretaker of his property.

Hunter S. Thompson

HST was my spirit animal.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:32:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By rtlm:

When the friendly gals at work aren't friendly.
When your gal pals act like you're their ex.
When the gal you have an interest in gives ya the cold shoulder.
Being alone and weird ain't so bad
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:33:39 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

I don’t understand this part.
Like your female friends take out their frustrations about exes (is that a word?) on you?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:33:43 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote
i'll see him in hell.

big fan of his work.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:38:41 PM EDT
[#32]
i'll see him in hell.

big fan of his work.
View All Quotes

i'll see him in hell.

big fan of his work.

There’s a member here that used to live in the area and see him all the time at the tavern. I can’t for the life of me remember his username though.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:40:30 PM EDT
[#33]

Like your female friends take out their frustrations about exes (is that a word?) on you?
View All Quotes

Not really, just they were in a “mood” today.
My day was not meant to be with the ladies.

And the icing on the cake:
A late lunch with a gal pal whose mood improved as the day went on….and then she proceeded to get sick while we’re having lunch.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:41:36 PM EDT
[#34]

Not really, just they were in a "mood" today.

A late lunch with a gal pal whose mood improved as the day went on .and then she proceeded to get sick while we're having lunch.

View Quote
pics of lunch?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:43:28 PM EDT
[#35]
pics of lunch?
View All Quotes

Not really, just they were in a "mood" today.

A late lunch with a gal pal whose mood improved as the day went on .and then she proceeded to get sick while we're having lunch.

pics of lunch?

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Not really, just they were in a “mood” today.

A late lunch with a gal pal whose mood improved as the day went on….and then she proceeded to get sick while we’re having lunch.

View Quote

Getting sick I can understand and deal with.

Moods on the other hand I have no patience for.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:05:45 PM EDT
[#37]

No expert here (as has been made very clear), but seeing as she might be the shy/spooks easily type (similar to myself), would it be better to let her ask you about meeting up or is that not really an acceptable order of things? Literally clueless here, so that's not really my advice.
View All Quotes

Lol, right!

Nah, girls want you to make the moves usually. Ain't no girl has ever asked me to do anything.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:11:48 PM EDT
[#38]

Nah, girls want you to make the moves usually. Ain't no girl has ever asked me to do anything.
View All Quotes

Lol, right!

Bro this is 101 stuff.

I've never asked for consent and (I was going to say never) made the first move. It is not an overly complicated idea that men are men and women are women.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:27:41 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

I would have thought if the answer was "no" she just wouldn't respond at all. It had already been 4 days. Maybe she'd rather meet face to face before giving me her number. I'll find out soon enough. Now, if she flakes on meeting up, there's my answer.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:45:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#40]

View All Quotes

Lol, right!

And that will be the lesson of the day, but I will still likely be none the wiser because of the "usually" part.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:49:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#41]

Bro this is 101 stuff.

I've never asked for consent and (I was going to say never) made the first move. It is not an overly complicated idea that men are men and women are women.
View All Quotes

Lol, right!

Bro this is 101 stuff.

Well, in today's world that's a big fat question mark.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:07:47 PM EDT
[#42]

And that will be the lesson of the day, but I will still likely be none the wiser because of the "usually" part.
View Quote

Just do it. If they get mad some Reddit trolls feign outrage. If they don't you get laid.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:28:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CastleBravo91] [#43]

View All Quotes

Lol, right!

Sometimes a girl might make an overt move on you, but you shouldn't count on it. If she does, she must like you a lot.

Of course, I can be totally oblivious to the hints they give you. Until after the fact. Then I go "well, I fucked that up."
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:32:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By iwouldntknow:

Just do it. If they get mad some Reddit trolls feign outrage. If they don't you get laid.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By iwouldntknow:

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:49:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#45]
Sometimes a girl might make an overt move on you, but you shouldn't count on it. If she does, she must like you a lot.
View All Quotes

Well the one girl I used to know did, so you're not wrong. Unfortunately, I believe now that that experience handicapped my thought process on these kinds of things. So I will have to keep your advice in mind if there ever is a next girl for me.
And that's very doubtful, but at least I have that advice.

Of course, I can be totally oblivious to the hints they give you. Until after the fact. Then I go "well, I fucked that up."

Wait, you think you're oblivious to the hints? Nooooo one is as oblivious as me... Do I need to post that picture of Nicole blowing me a kiss again? Which was a few years after she pulled me behind a tree and kissed me.

It finally clicked all of 30 years later that she wanted me to make a move, and her Mom was encouraging it... And I still missed it! Teenage Cliff must have been a bit of a moron looking back on these things.

This reminds me that I need to go dig through wherever my Mom has all those old pictures of Nicole stashed away... At this point I'd like to see the originals. Might be an awkward conversation though.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:36:34 AM EDT
[#46]

Well the one girl I used to know did, so you're not wrong. Unfortunately, I believe now that that experience handicapped my thought process on these kinds of things. So I will have to keep your advice in mind if there ever is a next girl for me.

Wait, you think you're oblivious to the hints? Nooooo one is as oblivious as me... Do I need to post that picture of Nicole blowing me a kiss again? Which was a few years after she pulled me behind a tree and kissed me.

It finally clicked all of 30 years later that she wanted me to make a move, and her Mom was encouraging it... And I still missed it! Teenage Cliff must have been a bit of a moron looking back on these things.

This reminds me that I need to go dig through wherever my Mom has all those old pictures of Nicole stashed away... At this point I'd like to see the originals. Might be an awkward conversation though.
View Quote

Looking back, so was I. For Christ sake, Kata literally told me "I want to bang you" in science class one day. But I thought she was screwing with me because she was older. She used to sit with her friend even though we were supposed to be table partners, then one day she started sitting by me all the time. She'd always walk past my table in the commons, chose to sit next to me in ceramics. She wasn't very pretty, but she was cool and I would have got with her if only I realized she liked me. But this was high school, and I had feelings for Cloe. Nothing ever happened, but we became friends after high school when I no longer had a crush on her.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:06:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#47]

Looking back, so was I. For Christ sake, Kata literally told me "I want to bang you" in science class one day. But I thought she was screwing with me because she was older. She used to sit with her friend even though we were supposed to be table partners, then one day she started sitting by me all the time. She'd always walk past my table in the commons, chose to sit next to me in ceramics. She wasn't very pretty, but she was cool and I would have got with her if only I realized she liked me. But this was high school, and I had feelings for Cloe. Nothing ever happened, but we became friends after high school when I no longer had a crush on her.
View All Quotes

Okay, I have to admit that that was one heck of missed signal. But, it might have been easier for it not to "click" for you since you had feelings for another girl at the time. Me personally, I wouldn't want to have anything to do with a girl I didn't have any feelings for. But that's just me, I know many here would and that's why there have been so many recommendations throughout this thread saying to just go to a prostitute/hooker/escort, or whatever you like to call women in that business.

I just can't make the leap to sex without strong feelings for someone preceding it. Not only would I have to know someone well, but I'd actually have to like them after getting to know them, plus they would have to be attractive to me. And they would have to like me back just as much... Pretty daunting list honestly. And I'm not even sure I could make that leap after a full year of getting to know someone because I'm just so uncomfortable being around people due to the anxiety.

Even just forming a crush on someone, be it a celebrity or someone I know in person is incredibly rare. And that again might be in part due to the 10/11 year bonding experience I had with Nicole.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:49:31 AM EDT
[#48]

Okay, I have to admit that that was one heck of missed signal. But, it might have been easier for it not to "click" for you since you had feelings for another girl at the time. Me personally, I wouldn't want to have anything to do with a girl I didn't have any feelings for. But that's just me, I know many here would and that's why there have been so many recommendations throughout this thread saying to just go to a prostitute/hooker/escort, or whatever you like to call women in that business.

I just can't make the leap to sex without strong feelings for someone preceding it. Not only would I have to know someone well, but I'd actually have to like them after getting to know them, plus they would have to be attractive to me. And they would have to like me back just as much... Pretty daunting list honestly. And I'm not even sure I could make that leap after a full year of getting to know someone because I'm just so uncomfortable being around people due to the anxiety.

Even just forming a crush on someone, be it a celebrity or someone I know in person is incredibly rare. And that again might be in part due to the 10/11 year bonding experience I had with Nicole.
View Quote

Yeah, I also had very little confidence. "Why would she want to bang me? She's gotta be screwing with me."

I wonder if you're what they call Demisexual?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:48:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#49]
Yeah, I also had very little confidence. "Why would she want to bang me? She's gotta be screwing with me."
View All Quotes

I get that. Confidence is a quality that's majorly lacking in me. And it's not specifically anything related to talking to women, but it's due to other things in my life that have not been addressed as early as they should have been (I'm just not an accomplished person for my age). I just lack anything that I would need to bring to the table in a relationship, so I have to address that before I can really consider trying to get into one. Heck, I didn't get my driver's license until the age of 29.

I wonder if you're what they call Demisexual?

Actually, a few years back in another bizarre thread of mine that I posted here in GD, someone pointed out the Demisexual thing, which falls under the Asexual umbrella. I'm not a big fan of how everything has to have a label nowadays, but it really is a great description for how I feel about women and relationships... When it fits, it fits. I don't think being that way is a bad thing at all. I can't be attracted to dudes though... That's not happening.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:48:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#50]
By the way. I went in for an imaging appointment today so that they could do an ultrasound of my carotid arteries and the small talk with the lady doing the ultrasound actually went very well. I felt pretty comfortable talking to her... But she was in her late 50s or possibly 60s, so there was no potential for romance there.
Page / 25
Top Top