BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By zach_:

Removable mountain top for service access...
View Quote

Every inch of the track on my big layout will be accessible.

I'm going to have a lower ("underground") level that connects to all the tunnels with multiple switches.

So, a train can go into a tunnel entrance and go straight through, or pop out of a tunnel on the other end of the layout.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:48:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By wagonwheel1:

I have the NCE Cab system.
DCC let's you control the engine not the track, (block). So much easier to wire up the track.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DoubleARon:
The NCE PowerCab is a great system.

DCC let's you control the engine not the track, (block). So much easier to wire up the track.

Been a good few years since I really dabbled in model railroading, so I'm not up to date on the newest developments. But at this point, with RC systems being so miniaturized and cheap, why not just have the rails feed power to the train and let an RC system handle the controls? Seems that might be somewhat... simpler, I guess?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:51:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Nickel_Plated:

Been a good few years since I really dabbled in model railroading, so I'm not up to date on the newest developments. But at this point, with RC systems being so miniaturized and cheap, why not just have the rails feed power to the train and let an RC system handle the controls? Seems that might be somewhat... simpler, I guess?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Nickel_Plated:
Originally Posted By DoubleARon:
The NCE PowerCab is a great system.

That's pretty much what DCC is.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:24:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By JackRebney:

That's pretty much what DCC is.
View Quote

Lol, I gave it a bit more thought after I posted my reply and realized that.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:41:53 PM EDT
[#5]
You have a classic reverse loop in your layout, causing an electrical short.  Add a second power supply.  Isolate the loop  after the turnout with plastic rail joiners. Wire the second power supply into the isolated loop.  You will have two controllable circuts on your layout.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:45:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Vikingsouthpaw:
You have a classic reverse loop in your layout, causing an electrical short.  Add a second power supply.  Isolate the loop  after the turnout with plastic rail joiners. Wire the second power supply into the isolated loop.  You will have two controllable circuts on your layout.
View Quote

I did that yesterday.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#7]
When you're home sick, 3D printing can become addictive.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 4:07:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Cpt_Kirks:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61458/20240430_174147_1__jpg-3202291.JPG

View Quote

Is there a website for N scale train STL files to print (or any other scale for that matter)?

Print your own and paint it yourself seems like a way better plan.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:53:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:

Is there a website for N scale train STL files to print (or any other scale for that matter)?

View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61458/20240430_174147_1__jpg-3202291.JPG

Thingiverse is what you seek.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:11:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#10]

Thingiverse is what you seek.

View Quote

I hadn't been there in a while, I have my printer more to make specific things around the house....such as my security camera mounts was the latest event.

I do it the hard way though....

Go online to tinkercad, design what I want and export it to my NAS
Open up Prusa slicer, import STL file and make a gcode, safe that to my NAS
Login in to my octoprint PI on the network, drag gcode to the screen
Select item in the menu and print

I am sure there is a better way but I admit I haven't made/printed much after I did some stuff like body mounts for my RC cars and stuff.

I would love to have CAD software on my PC I could create my own STL files......but......"yo that is $$$$$ yo".  Investment vs reward is really low to go that far unless I can have software that doesn't require an annual fee and cost less than 1k.

Back on topic:

I will go looking around one day, probably save a few STL files for the future.  In my current house the only place would be my living room coffee table, well maybe the dinning room table itself but either of those choices are not my preferred option in case I ever have company over.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:20:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: flynbenny] [#11]

I hadn't been there in a while, I have my printer more to make specific things around the house....such as my security camera mounts was the latest event.

I do it the hard way though....

Go online to tinkercad, design what I want and export it to my NAS
Open up Prusa slicer, import STL file and make a gcode, safe that to my NAS
Login in to my octoprint PI on the network, drag gcode to the screen
Select item in the menu and print

I am sure there is a better way but I admit I haven't made/printed much after I did some stuff like body mounts for my RC cars and stuff.

I would love to have CAD software on my PC I could create my own STL files......but......"yo that is $$$$$ yo".  Investment vs reward is really low to go that far unless I can have software that doesn't require an annual fee and cost less than 1k.
View Quote

@Scoobysmak

Fusion from Autodesk is free for personal use. It will go straight to STL. I recommend it highly. Plenty of YT videos to show you how to do stuff.

We also have a General subforum in the technical side called the hobby shop. It's pretty good I have learned a lot there.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:22:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#12]
Originally Posted By flynbenny:

@Scoobysmak

Fusion from Autodesk is free for personal use. It will go straight to STL. I recommend it highly. Plenty of YT videos to show you how to do stuff.

We also have a General subforum in the technical side called the hobby shop. It's pretty good I have learned a lot there.
View Quote

Thanks, I remember seeing something like that but I thought there was a catch to it....will research again.

ETA...okay went back to the website, this looks to be an online program.  I will probably switch to it but I was looking for software ON my PC, maybe I am misunderstanding what this is.

I get I need like a PC from hell to run it but unless I can get the software no reason to run down that rabbit hole.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:43:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Thanks, I remember seeing something like that but I thought there was a catch to it....will research again.

ETA...okay went back to the website, this looks to be an online program.  I will probably switch to it but I was looking for software ON my PC, maybe I am misunderstanding what this is.

I get I need like a PC from hell to run it but unless I can get the software no reason to run down that rabbit hole.
View All Quotes

@Scoobysmak

There is a program on my PC, you have to have an account with Autodesk, and the stuff goes in the cloud (you can save local copies also). You can have 10 editable designs going at any time, no restrictions on how often you can turn them on/off being editable. PC has to be online, for the software to phone home. I have an oldish gaming laptop I run it on no problems at all, it was mid level in early 2021 when I bought it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:46:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I tried TinkerCad for about 10" and was done, that was before I got Fusion (used to be Fusion 360).

3d printing is awesome, no matter whether you are printing model stuff, flying models and accessories, pews, it never gets old. I make random stuff for the house all the time too.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:52:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I tried TinkerCad for about 10" and was done, that was before I got Fusion (used to be Fusion 360).

3d printing is awesome, no matter whether you are printing model stuff, flying models and accessories, pews, it never gets old. I make random stuff for the house all the time too.
View Quote

The first thing I ever designed....was in the Prusa slicer.....

It was rude crude and totally worked for my purpose but tinkercad would have saved me like 2 hours and could have done it in probably 5 minutes or less today.  

So your saying I might be able to adapt to Fusion....

I will try to remain on topic of models trains....sorry OP for the derailment......

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top