User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:42:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ramairthree:
I’m thinking of one more in the man cave-

But there is a nostalgia to standing there and putting quarters in a game.

Pre the CRT games, I first remember  being awed by the electromechanical killer shark and manta hunter games in the early 70s.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/IMG_4925.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu220/ramairfour/IMG_4925.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

View Quote

REALLY digging the Star Wars.

Talk about nostalgia.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#2]
My last quarter was probably late 1982 or early 1983. My family moved us out to Phoenix then, I finished my last two years of high school here. When we moved, I got a Commodore 64, and played all the games I wanted. Then on to PC gaming, but have been mostly console gaming since then. I have the Playstation PS5, but we use it more for watching videos/ movies more than gaming these days.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:01:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine was even farther back:
Pong
Air Hockey
Pinball
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:01:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Endless summer days early to mid eighties riding our bikes all over town stopping to play the games they had at every drug store, convenience store, etc.  Leave after breakfast and didn't get home till the streetlights came on...
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:09:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:
Endless summer days early to mid eighties riding our bikes all over town stopping to play the games they had at every drug store, convenience store, etc.  Leave after breakfast and didn't get home till the streetlights came on...
View Quote

It was crazy.  7-11's would have a couple of games.  When I spent summers in TX there was a Fiesta grocery store across from where my dad worked on Spencer Hwy in Pasadena.  They called me the quarter kid as I would bug my dad for quarters all day.  Pole position and gauntlet took most of them. Texas tapes and records was also an awesome way to spend the day. Got my copy of License to Ill there for the boombox.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:29:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ohio_Bill] [#6]

The Pin Ball Spot (just right of center, follow the red arrow downstairs).  Yonge Street, Toronto in the 1970s. At the far left, A&A Records and Sam The Record Man.

Spent a lot of time & money there. I miss those days
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:58:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By kbi:
Tilt arcade in ballston commons

From 1987 thru 2000 ( age 12 thru 25 )

Whenever we went to the mall we would stop there and play about 5.00 in quarters after work or getting a late night bite

Good times

I'd love to go tk the galloping ghost arcade in Illinois once

400 games

https://www.gallopingghostarcade.com/games-list/
View Quote

972 games listed
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:01:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By GI-45:

I've been there; it's awesome. No coins either; you pay a flat fee ($20 or so) to get in, and all the cabinets are on free play.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kbi:
I'd love to go tk the galloping ghost arcade in Illinois once

400 games

https://www.gallopingghostarcade.com/games-list/

I've been there; it's awesome. No coins either; you pay a flat fee ($20 or so) to get in, and all the cabinets are on free play.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:14:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Robotron is my all-time favorite.  Defender would be a runner-up.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:21:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluemax_1] [#10]
BTW, I have an older version of one of these Pandora consoles. These things aren’t difficult to bring along to a house party.

Possibly best for a guy’s night type party, as I’ve only known a few females from back in the day, who were arcade junkies, so the women might be a bit disgruntled at the guys ignoring them to relive those old days at the arcade, gathered around a game, to play, or watch the players.

Amazon Product
  • \u3010Pandora Box 50S\u3011: This upgraded game console uses the latest 32GB 8-core processor, which improves the running speed while maintaining stability, especially the substantial improvement in image quality. Two independent consoles give you more space and a better experience in intense fighting games

Get the split controller setups. Don’t have to worry about elbow room. I got an older all-in-one 2-player version and ended up having to mod it (sawzall through the middle, installed sliders that allow extending the controls further apart + longer wires inside to accommodate extending the console/board).

We’re all bigger than we were at 13-14

The one linked above allows connecting 2 additional controllers to play the 4-person games like TMNT.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:24:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Operation wolf
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:27:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I always make time for these and my ball hair is white.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#13]
There's an arcade in Tarpon Springs FL that you pay an entrance fee and play all day.  They have a load of the old pinball machines and arcade games.  It was cool to just walk around and see all of the stuff we played 30-40 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:37:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Ajax72:
Take Ten in the mall took ALL my cash.  Not some, Not half, ALL my cash.    Roadblasters, Battlezone, Time Pilot, Out Run, Dig Dug, Zaxxon and Donkey Kong
View Quote

I have a working Time Pilot in my basement.  My father in law use to have a small vending company and my wife wanted this machine when he finally retired.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I still have a handful of Alladin's Castle tokens I'll never be able to use.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I still play arcade games every year on the Ocean City NJ boardwalk. It was a sad day when they took Spy Hunter out.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:55:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By GoCart-Mozart:
Galaga, Pole Position, DigDug, 1942, Ms. PacMan, Tron and Moon Patrol.
View Quote

Amen. Jungle Jim's got plenty of my money. Still have old coin somewhere around here.

Last quarter I dropped was at a restaurant in Jacksonville around 2000. I'd like to have Galaga, Donkey Kong, or Tron here at the house.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#19]
The kids these days have no idea how much fun these places were. There was a Gran Prix Race O Rama in Fort Lauderdale, that had a go cart track and hundreds of different video game and pinball machines and it was packed all the time. I know I spent some serious money there in my youth.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Bullseye100:
There's an arcade in Tarpon Springs FL that you pay an entrance fee and play all day.  They have a load of the old pinball machines and arcade games.  It was cool to just walk around and see all of the stuff we played 30-40 years ago.
View Quote

Its a cool place, but there is something different, especially with pinball, when you are pumping the quarters in. You WANTED that replay score to get the free game.  Every ball counted.  With them all on free play, it takes away from that in my opinion.  I play theater of magic and funhouse there every time we go. My son likes it there as well.  One of the only places I have seen an original MK1 in quite some time.  Johnny Cage popping heads off all day long

The retro toy store next door is pretty cool too.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:58:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:
I cannot remember which version exactly but I put a lot of quarters into Time Crisis as a teen.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/578900/IMG_5891_jpeg-3197285.JPG
View Quote

I credit Time Crisis, Lethal Enforcers, and other games with gun controllers for my ability to point shoot with real handguns so well.  No shit.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By treasurediver:
One of the arcades had a Steel Challenge game and the guns had optics with fiber optic sights. That was a fun game too.
View Quote

Those were the tits.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Loved that game
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#24]
I built my own.  Still need to do a pinball machine and a full sized cab.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:15:21 PM EDT
[#25]
i have thousands of games on 5 machines and then two pinball machines with hundreds of tables

no quarters are involved but i get a fix whenever i need one
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Cypher214:

I credit Time Crisis, Lethal Enforcers, and other games with gun controllers for my ability to point shoot with real handguns so well.  No shit.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cypher214:
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:
I cannot remember which version exactly but I put a lot of quarters into Time Crisis as a teen.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/578900/IMG_5891_jpeg-3197285.JPG

Yup.

Played Time Crisis (wasn’t it featured in the 1995 movie Hackers?), Virtua Cop, Police Trainer, and my favorite; Area 51.

Had the Top 3 high scores on the machine, until someone beat my high score, and I discovered that unlike many (most?) games that reset your score when you fed more coins to Continue, Area 51 allowed you to retain your score when you Continued.

I saw the twerp who beat my score, and he simply kept feeding in coins until he beat my score, so I set about regaining my top spot, whereupon I discovered 2 things: the game could only show a maximum score of 999,999 (or maybe 9,999,999?), but the internal counter still continued (I.e. if someone stopped soon after hitting the max score, noting that the score was no longer increasing, but someone else continued playing and accrued an additional ~200,000 points, which the score counter would NOT show, the person who actually scored 1.2million points would be ranked higher, despite both players showing the same 999,999).

The other thing about the game, was that it had a “Shot Streak” counter, which kept count of the number of consecutive shots fired with no misses. When you finally missed, it would flash something like “17-shot streak!”.

Well, the high score spots also showed the longest shot streak the player accrued in the game, and I noted that the twerp’s scores never showed a shot streak higher than the teens, where I regularly had shot streaks in the 70-100+ count, every game.

So to reclaim my top 3 rankings, I did 2 things: I focused on my shot streak, THEN just kept feeding in coins until I estimated my real score was over 1.3 million.

I don’t think the twerp was aware that the game kept counting past 999,999, and since he was a far shittier player, it would have taken him a LOT more coins and time, to surpass 1.3 million points.

What he DID see, and what everyone else naturally assumed resulted in me having the top 3 spots, despite 5 of the Top 10 scores all showing 999,999, was my shot streaks.

My #1 score had a shot streak of 352. I’d played the game so much, I not only knew where the aliens would pop up from, I knew what all the bonus targets were (windows, lights etc.), AND how many shots it took to kill a target (so I didn’t inadvertently fire a fifth shot on a target that pops after 4 shots, which would result in a miss).

My 3rd place score had a 171 shot streak, and my 2nd place score had a 2xx shot streak (I’d continue accruing points past 999,999, according to the best streak, so it appeared that the streak was the determining factor for ranking, so the twerp who couldn’t hit a streak higher than the teens, wouldn’t think to just sit there all day feeding coins into the machine to beat my rankings. When I hit the 352 shot streak, I’d estimate I kept playing until my actual score was somewhere around 1.5 - 1.7 million).

I remember hearing someone look at the scores and go, “WTF… 2 names with 5 999,999 scores in the top spots”, then their friend going, “DUUUUUDE!!! Check out that shot streak!!! THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY TWO!!! W… T…F… I don’t think I’ve ever gotten a shot streak more than 20 or 30”.

Yeah, I got really good at point shooting, with those games.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:04:06 PM EDT
[#27]
The last quarter I remember putting into a video game was an old Missile Command game a friend of mine had.
I fixed it, and tested it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By webtaz99:
The last quarter I remember putting into a video game was an old Missile Command game a friend of mine had.
View Quote

You know if you open the coin door, there's a switch you can trip to send a coin signal.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By TexRdnec:
i have thousands of games on 5 machines and then two pinball machines with hundreds of tables

View Quote

Digital Pinball machines?

Pics please!

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:42:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By BooJangles:
God I miss those days. Space Harrier,  Cyberball, Street Fighter games, Mortal Kombat games and so many others.
The "games" they have now suck.
View Quote
Yes to Cyberball!

Consoles of convenience do not do the 4 player, 90 degree cabinets any justice.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:43:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Cpt_Kirks:

You know if you open the coin door, there's a switch you can trip to send a coin signal.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By webtaz99:

I remember seeing the arcade owner do that. Can’t recall what issue we had, I think the game glitched/froze, and we told him.

He reset the machine, opened the door, and jiggled the wire about a half dozen times (looked like a metal tripwire). Sweet! 6 games for 1 glitch!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Funspot in Laconia NH has hundreds of arcade games.

The fixed pricing makes arcade games cheaper than they ever were in the 80s
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:55:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EP429] [#33]
I built my own full size machine, setup for 2 players w/ 6 buttons each + a trackball & spinner. It can handle just about any vintage game control layout, I've got a little over 900 games on it but I should probably curate & clean some of those out.
It's got coin buttons for each player, but I want to add a proper door & coin mech at some point. There's an indescribable quality about feeding a coin to these games

*I still hit up the local arcade / pinball joint (Pinballz), as nice a job as I've done building my own rig you can't beat playing on the proper original hardware.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I remember going to Wonderland nickel arcade in San Diego when I was a kid. What an awesome place that was.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:15:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:26:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TexRdnec] [#36]

Pics please!

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TexRdnec:

Pics please!

no pics handy but one is an arcade1up and one is an atgames

you can "hack" into any arcade1up pinball and add their other two machines worth of games (star wars and marvel) plus some from zen and some other place i've forgotten.  it's easy too, even i could manage it

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-5753575/arcade-1-up-williams-bally-attack-from-mars-10-in-1-pinball-machine.jsp

Arcade1Up Pinball Hack - A1Pinner v3.9 Tutorial/Demo | Add Pinball Arcade, Addams Family, T2, & More

my atgames in an HD and you can find them for around $800 but they're transitioning to a 4K version right now so i'd wait for deals on those to come down before buying one, the 4K is about $1500 right now
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#37]
A simpler time….
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:32:37 PM EDT
[#38]
2 pages & no Gauntlet?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:45:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:47:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Yep

Now ai play COD until 4 in the morning
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:02:12 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Hellyeahbrother.jpg
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:07:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cfcw] [#42]
Defender was my superpower.  I could play for hours on one quarter. I was meh at  everything else.  I played at a Gameroom up until my freshman year in College.

The last game I put a quarter in wasn't too long ago. The local mellow mushroom had a Galaga.  I played it to show my pre-teen daughter how to play.  Well, maybe it has been a while. She's a college graduate now
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:23:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Is it a lucky quarter?  Don’t mix it up in your pocket.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:36:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Badlatitude:
real arcade game at Barnacle Bills arcade in Seaside heights NJ August 1997.
View Quote

My man! I was in Seaside in August if 1997 on vacation.

Nonetheless, arcades are alive and well in my area. Some great, some not so great, but they exist. Most are free play with admission. Barcade in Manhattan was coin op as of 2019.

I have a few pins, a shuffle alley, and a Stargate (Defender 2). Stargate never gets played and I should probably sell it.

I really want a Tapper.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:03:37 PM EDT
[#45]
My best friend and I spent so much freaking money in quarters trying to beat the TMNT game.   I'd get Donatello for the extra reach and he'd go with Leonardo.  Other kids would come up and help us for a bit until they ran out of quarters.   It really was the ultimate co-op arcade game.

We finally beat it one day after several summers of trying.  Saved up like $100 in quarters each to do it in one playthrough.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:23:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By GraboidHunter:
My best friend and I spent so much freaking money in quarters trying to beat the TMNT game.   I'd get Donatello for the extra reach and he'd go with Leonardo.  Other kids would come up and help us for a bit until they ran out of quarters.   It really was the ultimate co-op arcade game.

We finally beat it one day after several summers of trying.  Saved up like $100 in quarters each to do it in one playthrough.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/387169/tmnt_jpg-3198026.JPG
View Quote

Damn, that's hardcore. I never beat it until I bought the Xbox 360 version with unlimited continues.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:26:58 PM EDT
[#47]
One day your mother put you down, and never picked you up again.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:55:02 PM EDT
[#48]

Damn, that's hardcore. I never beat it until I bought the Xbox 360 version with unlimited continues.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GraboidHunter:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/387169/tmnt_jpg-3198026.JPG

There was an arcade game called shadow dancer or shinobi - a Sega side scroller where you were a ninja with a white wolf.
I was already an adult when it came out.  I thought I was a ninja badass because I was into working out, martial arts, and had done an enlistment in Ranger Bn.  I never really got that far on a few quarters on the arcade game.  I also had a white wolf hybrid my new wife had for me for a birthday present as my dream dog for whatever reason when I was like 22,  that tiny pup grew fast and large.

She bought me a Sega Genesis my next birthday with that shinobi shadow dancer game.  I never beat it.  And sold the Sega and games when we moved a few years later,  we were a typical broke young married couple.

Over 20 years later I used to deploy and be on planes a lot.
She and the kids got me a psp to play movies on.  They also surprised me with a Sega collection game UMD.  The wolf game was on it.  That dog lived to 16 years old and had recently died.  

At some point, we are talking like 17 years after the game came out, I had the new pup, and a year after he died, I actually beat the game.  It was very nostalgic and satisfying.

When we were dating we would sometimes get pizza at a little place near where she used to ride her horse.  It had a galaga game.  She had played that game since she was in grade school now and then.  Pretty much the only game/arcade she was ever into.  I surprised her on the anniversary of the day we met like 35 years ago with

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top