Site Notices
Page / 118
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:44:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:49:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By R0N:

That is the problem, any 40 foot container could contain strike length VLS cells, and everything that looks like a Mk70 could just be an empty 40 foot container

Kind of gets to the reason the people who originally developed the system opted for the look instead of reviving the 1980’s Gryphon launch system.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

Boris, target all shipping containers

That is the problem, any 40 foot container could contain strike length VLS cells, and everything that looks like a Mk70 could just be an empty 40 foot container

Kind of gets to the reason the people who originally developed the system opted for the look instead of reviving the 1980’s Gryphon launch system.

The sword cuts both ways and our enemies have likely done the same analysis.

And they have way more shipping containers.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:57:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By stgdz:

View Quote

We are already well behind on that.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:17:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#4]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stgdz:

Shipping containers with missiles, yes, working on it, we can have that stuff loaded overnight and shipped or flown out if required.  It puts tremendous strain on China and Russia because they don't have the capability to track them all.

Tracking enemy shipping containers that get loaded with missiles would be a priority.  Having satellites with ground moving target indicators as well as long endurance drones to help find them helps alot.  After all, these shipping containers have to stop at a weapons depot to get loaded.  I think we are getting good practice with the Houthi situation at finding launchers before they use them, and then having the capability to shoot down what does get fired off.

Chinese are already nervous about that because it puts their mobile ICBM deterrent at risk from a first strike according to their own analysis.

https://breakingdefense.com/2023/12/draft-space-force-nro-plan-for-tracking-moving-targets-floating-around-military-ic/

After years of debate, the Department of the Air Force, which provides civilian oversight of the Space Force, and the National Reconnaissance Office (NRO) are jointly funding and managing the effort to develop new space-based Ground Moving Target Indicators (GMTIs) — sensors that can track in near-real time objects of interest like PLA warships in the South China Sea or Russian tanks in Ukraine.

Current spy satellites operated by the NRO can provide snapshot pictures that show movement, of say a column of trucks headed to North Korea’s missile launching sites, after the fact, but cannot not persistently follow them in real time. The Air Force in the past has used planes to do that job, in particular the aging E-8 Joint Surveillance Target Attack Radar System (JSTARS) that currently provides targeting data to air-, ground- and ship-based weapons platforms. The service is retiring JSTARS, however, and intends to replace it in part with the new GMTI satellites.

Details about the planned new sensors are scant, but GMTI systems traditionally have been based on radars use a pulsing technique to discriminate moving targets from stationary objects and then clock their velocities based on their Doppler shift.

Under a deal struck earlier this year, the Space Force is developing the requirements for the new sensors and will oversee the acquisition program’s progress. NRO is doing the actual acquisition of the classified sensor payloads based on its own design.

Saltzman praised the collaboration on the effort with NRO, calling it “world class,” and noted that it’s “a lot easier said than done” given each side’s “mission boundaries.”

He further explained that there are a lot of moving parts that still have to be fleshed out, both from a technology angle and a concept of operations view. For example, he said, the Space Force is going to “build the ground infrastructure” to transmit data gathered from the new satellites.

“That’s going to require some some thought into how we do that effectively in terms of timeliness, etc.,” he said.

Another challenge is to “put the battle management operational concept together” for ensuring how accurate data gets to the right place at the right time for use by military commanders, Saltzman noted.

And yet another unresolved issue is how the Space Force will organize itself to deal with all of that, for example whether a new Delta [the Air Force equivalent of a wing] will be required.

“I think there’s still some tabletop exercising that needs to occur to figure out, you know, what are the key points that need to be addressed in order to answer that question in particular,” Saltzman said.

“But, you know, I think generally speaking, you would say there’s going to be some unit that has responsibility for managing the constellation, and all of the considerations with keeping it healthy and effective to support and collect data. And then there’s going to be some unit of action that is more of the receiver of the data and the connection to the combatant command structures that allow target engagement — so satellite operators and then battle managers, if you will,” he said.

Chinese source:
https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/s42533-024-00153-w.pdf

A number of U.S. military programs, if successfully developed and deployed, could undermine China's nuclear retaliatory capabilities, thereby enhancing U.S. damage limitation capabilities vis-à-vis China. Meanwhile, China seeks to maintain the credibility of its nuclear retaliatory capabilities and increase the survivability and penetration of its nuclear weapons. These interactions are part of the nuclear competition between the United States and China. This article discusses three cases: the U.S. homeland missile defense system, anti-submarine warfare (ASW) preparations, and the space-based Ground Moving Target Indicator. These programs may serve declaratory purposes in one way or another, but their development has had a negative impact on China’s strategic nuclear retaliatory capabilities. Using non-nuclear means that differ technologically from the measures taken by China, these programs have created an asymmetric competition between the two sides. These U.S. programs have endured for several decades, and have continued to introduce new technologies despite occasional interruptions. The main element of development in these programs has been qualitative improvement, while quantitative increases have not always been evident. The development of these U.S. damage limitation capabilities put pressure on China’s nuclear retaliatory capabilities. The arms race theories developed during the Cold War are inadequate for fully understanding nuclear competition between the United States and China. We need new theories and wisdom to explore cooperative solutions.    

It launched its frst space-based GMTI program, the Discoverer
II, in 1998 (GlobalSecurity 2011) and recently committed to renewing this efort (Hudson and Trimble 2021). Unlike the space-based infrared and optical sensors, which
could be shielded by clouds, a U.S. space-based GMTI system could in principle provide real-time tracking of Chinese mobile missiles, thus reducing their survivability.
This is another form of competition between U.S. damage limitation and Chinese
nuclear retaliation capability.

The U.S. space-based GMTI system aims to provide real-time tacking of mobile
missiles. If successfully deployed, the Chinese mobile ICBMs would be at risk of exposure to the U.S. GMTI system and their survivability would be threatened.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:08:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By dedreckon:

Thanks and I know you don't post dumb stuff. The ME and Arabs seem to be ground zero for all sorts of conspiracy theories and misinfo (blood of children for Matzo balls, etc) and so it's ripe for Russian Info Ops and all that bleeds into US and EU media because they are so pro-muslim now, which always pisses me off. But at least we do get to the truth most days.

I think you are right that the info ops Russia pushes are probably having an effect in India and Asia, which will impact how the US forms alliances against China. Not good if we want to ally Malaysia and Indonesia with us and their Muslim population starts rioting when we do port calls or something similar.
View Quote

Agree--
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:33:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

I'm talking as a novice...and I consider all shaped-charge warheads to work by firing a slug (usually copper) into and through armor and the distance to the armor face is important. I understand that the term EFP refers to a type of weapon that aims a large slug, fired by HE, that goes relatively far (dozens of meters) to hit a target. I'm using the term interchangeably.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:

Javelin has a classic HEAT and not an EFP warhead.

I'm talking as a novice...and I consider all shaped-charge warheads to work by firing a slug (usually copper) into and through armor and the distance to the armor face is important. I understand that the term EFP refers to a type of weapon that aims a large slug, fired by HE, that goes relatively far (dozens of meters) to hit a target. I'm using the term interchangeably.

You might summon a Demon.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Stungas, TOWs, Jav's and NLAWs better start arriving again.
View Quote

I'm still thinking that hitting the tracks with a drone might be a good half measure until/if anti tank weapons like javelin again become plentiful. But there might be a real problem with signal loss if the drone tries to hug the ground in order to hit the tracks. Maybe somebody here knows if that is a problem. I don't know how they are communicating with the fpv drones.
More anti-tank weapons are needed.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:33:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
Filmed from the ground perspective.  Noted to be 14km behind the front lines as well.

View Quote

Run, Asta!  Run!!  
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

I'm not sure that cost figure is good enough to keep the math favorable for us. There's a limit as to how much we can do in this regard, though, as economies of scale of sUAS and counter-sUAS all require massive production volumes that only the commercial sector can generate. And, the commercial sector doesn't need counter-sUAS but they do need capable and reliable platforms that are resistant to things that disrupt GPS and control (and payload) links.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:51:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Bogdan:

Dont worry if they take that cock out of their mouth long enough to yell "Protecting western values!!!!" its not gay.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jozsi:

You'd be surprised how many love slurping that delicious russian cock.

Dont worry if they take that cock out of their mouth long enough to yell "Protecting western values!!!!" its not gay.

The Russians laugh because they don't believe that it's gay if it's for punishment.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:55:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

I'm still thinking that hitting the tracks with a drone might be a good half measure until/if anti tank weapons like javelin again become plentiful. But there might be a real problem with signal loss if the drone tries to hug the ground in order to hit the tracks. Maybe somebody here knows if that is a problem. I don't know how they are communicating with the fpv drones.
View All Quotes

Stungas, TOWs, Jav's and NLAWs better start arriving again.

It's not an issue at short distances. Where it becomes an issue is when the drone is starting to get to the limits of its control link to begin with. As with the "radar horizon", there is an increasing elevation where terrain (even things like trees) will start to degrade or block the signal the closer you get to the ground at significant range from the transmitter. While you can mitigate some of that by elevating the transmitting antenna, having a really tall antenna will also make you stick out like a sore thumb to the enemy who may be trying to find you. The EW environment also contributes to the complexity of the problem.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:12:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:17:20 PM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes

Some of you guys have a clear obsession with the homo erotic shit. Just come out of the closet already. Jesus christ.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

HEAT has a comparatively thin copper cone which gets turned into a jet of liquid copper.  It needs a bit of standoff from the armor to work but dissipates rather quickly.

EFP is fairly thick copper plate formed like a shallow bowl, which forms a copper slug which doesn’t penetrate as well as heat but penetrates over a much longer rage.  It’s used for off-route mines and things like BONUS AT shells.

EXPLOSIVELY FORMED PENETRATOR SIMULATION | EFP Shaped Charge Armour Piercing Simulation
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:31:56 PM EDT
[#15]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GNYCuWhXgAEOax7?format=jpg&name=900x900
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GNYCyW-WYAArwdm?format=jpg&name=900x900
View Quote

We might be able to narrow down the forensic search area to a few square miles.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:45:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Turtle Tanks, "Cope Cages" & Modified Vehicles in Ukraine - Purpose, Evolution & Effectiveness
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:

Some of you guys have a clear obsession with the homo erotic shit. Just come out of the closet already. Jesus christ.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:

Not that there's anything wrong with that. (for the non-americans, that's a cultural joke that goes back to the Seinfeld show.)
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:51:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Capta:

HEAT has a comparatively thin copper cone which gets turned into a jet of liquid copper.  It needs a bit of standoff from the armor to work but dissipates rather quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li2Kt4DtUdY

EFP is fairly thick copper plate formed like a shallow bowl, which forms a copper slug which doesn’t penetrate as well as heat but penetrates over a much longer rage.  It’s used for off-route mines and things like BONUS AT shells.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eASJbjtw180
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Capta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li2Kt4DtUdY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eASJbjtw180

No matter how many times I hear this explained, it still seems impossible that a thin layer of wet copper would cut through inches of steel. It's just weird.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:02:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#19]
Interesting.  US based defense goal for near future.  Printing the interceptors is fascinating, next would be printed motors.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:12:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:19:26 PM EDT
[#21]

— American missile system Typhon in the Philippines. (up to 1,800 km range with Tomahawk cruise missiles and SM-6 missiles)

— Taiwanese anti-ship missiles Hsiung Feng III. (120-400 km range)

— Japanese Type 12 missiles. (200-1,200 km range)

— The countries included in the First Island Chain are the Kuril Islands, the Japanese archipelago, the Ryukyu Islands, Taiwan (Formosa), the northern Philippines, and Borneo.

— This chain extends from the Kamchatka Peninsula in the northeast to the Malay Peninsula in the southwest.

Source: Liberty Times/Taiwan    
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:26:16 PM EDT
[#22]
4 hrs ago.

Artillery ammo shortages are still real  
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:35:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#24]
ETA- Beat

Per Russian media.

https://tass.ru/politika/20775703

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Prime:
ETA- Beat

Per Russian media.
[https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GNZg8ptWIAImH3_?format=jpg&name=large[/url]

https://tass.ru/politika/20775703

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:45:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Hopefully his replacement isn't competent
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:45:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Not good. Shoigu was corrupt as fuck.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:47:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Ukrainian War - Week 19 | 2024

Label colors:

Ukraine
Gains (+ 0 km²) 🟨
Losses (- 196.61 km²) 🟦

Russia | LPR | DPR
Gains (+ 123.64 km²) 🟥
Losses (- 0.54 km²) ⬛️

#UkraineRussianWar #GuerreEnUkraine

View Quote

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:50:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#29]
Vovchansk, from liberation to return from occupation
Occupied from the early hours of February 24, 2022, the city becomes a small hub for the Russian army north of Kharkiv.

Liberated at the end of September 2022, the city risks returning to Russian occupation.

🔥 Fighters of the Sharp Kartuza unit inflict damage on enemy infantry in the trenches east of Hlyboky in the Kharkiv region

⚔️ Unfortunately, these shots show that the enemy managed to advance further into the territories. Fierce fighting continues in that area.

📍 http://deepstatemap.live/#15/50.2637/36.4575

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:52:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#30]

Exactly, I saw that in one of the comments on my Twitter search and thought "that's gotta be a gif somewhere".  Perfect.

He had a good ride. May the end be just as stereotypically Russian.

ETA-

Maybe not.

Shoigu becomes head of Russia's National Security Council
Russian President Vladimir Putin appoints former Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu as head of the country's National Security Council.

Published: 12 May 2024 at 14:41
Updated: 12 May 2024 at 14:45

Earlier on Sunday, it was announced that Shoigu will be replaced as Minister of Defense by former Deputy Prime Minister Andrej Belousov.

Nikolaj Patrushev previously held the role of head of the Security Council. He is being moved to another position, according to the Kremlin.

https://www.adressa.no/nyheter/utenriks/i/eM854a/reuters-putin-utnevner-tidligere-forsvarsminister-sjojgu-til-leder-for-nasjonalt-sikkerhetsraad

Some early thoughts. This doesn't appear to be designed as a demotion for Shoigu who not only received an important position as Secretary of the Security Council but also will retain oversight of domestic and foreign defense issues, taking that from the new Minister of Defense. Andrey Belousov's background is in economics, not defense, and he served as acting Prime Minister when Mikhail Mishustin contracted COVID-19.

This may seem surprising, but Anatoly Serdyukov's background was in business and he served as Minister of Taxes before he was appointed Minister of Defense in 2007. At the time, Putin deliberately chose someone from outside of the MoD (Ministers of Defense in the 1990s were former generals) to enact a painful and unpopular reform. This choice is likely a reflection of Putin's personal trust in Belousov, and the need for a better internal manger of the MoD's bureaucracy.

Although Gerasimov remains in his post, I would not be surprised if Belousov replaces him with someone more popular and to have a Chief of the General Staff who owes his position to him. The big loser in this shuffle appears to be Patrushev, who was also one of the key decisionmakers behind the invasion of Ukraine.

Lastly, many of these officials have been in their positions for more than a decade, and there was clearly a need for changes. Shoigu and Gerasimov have been in their positions since 2012 and Patrushev since 2008.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:55:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Interesting.  US based defense goal for near future.  Printing the interceptors is fascinating, next would be printed motors.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GNVxXWcXAAAptyn?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote
There are already experiments being done with 3D printed propulsion
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:07:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:33:09 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

You've gotta be shitting me!
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#34]
4 hrs ago.

View Quote
Incendiaries
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Like meat to the grinder

You think they lit them up with artillery?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:31:39 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

There's no mortar or machine gun there to oppose them, so...

This is fairly typical. Ukraine lacks enough troops to actively defend the whole line, just as Russia lacks troops to actively attack the whole line. Russia sends dismounted troops up, Ukraine spots them and sends somebody to do something about it. But the initial advance usually doesn't get beat back before they actually advance. Ukraine is still the smaller, weaker combatant.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Not good. Shoigu was corrupt as fuck.
View Quote

Corrupt drunks seem to be a plentiful natural resource in Mother Russia.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:19:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#38]
Terra video with some decent information. They call the M777 "three Axes".
Also, Terra member is in a trench near Klishchiivka and gets a call from the enlistment office, they want to mobilize him.

"I will repeat the following opinion, the best place to hide from mobilization is the Armed Forces".

?????? ????????? ?? ??????? ???. ????????? ??????. ???????: ??????? 6

3rd Assault Brigade members narrating helmet cam video of house clearing in Krasnohorivka.

?? ????????? ????????????? ?????? ????????¨ ?? ???? ?????? ??? ??????? 3 ????

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cypher15:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GNVxXWcXAAAptyn?format=jpg&name=large

Been happening for a while.

There are some designs that can't be made with traditional techniques. It's impossible.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:22:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#40]

Exactly, I saw that in one of the comments on my Twitter search and thought "that's gotta be a gif somewhere".  Perfect.

ETA-

Maybe not.

Russian President Vladimir Putin appoints former Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu as head of the country's National Security Council.

Earlier on Sunday, it was announced that Shoigu will be replaced as Minister of Defense by former Deputy Prime Minister Andrej Belousov.

Nikolaj Patrushev previously held the role of head of the Security Council. He is being moved to another position, according to the Kremlin.

https://www.adressa.no/nyheter/utenriks/i/eM854a/reuters-putin-utnevner-tidligere-forsvarsminister-sjojgu-til-leder-for-nasjonalt-sikkerhetsraad

Some early thoughts. This doesn't appear to be designed as a demotion for Shoigu who not only received an important position as Secretary of the Security Council but also will retain oversight of domestic and foreign defense issues, taking that from the new Minister of Defense. Andrey Belousov's background is in economics, not defense, and he served as acting Prime Minister when Mikhail Mishustin contracted COVID-19.

This may seem surprising, but Anatoly Serdyukov's background was in business and he served as Minister of Taxes before he was appointed Minister of Defense in 2007. At the time, Putin deliberately chose someone from outside of the MoD (Ministers of Defense in the 1990s were former generals) to enact a painful and unpopular reform. This choice is likely a reflection of Putin's personal trust in Belousov, and the need for a better internal manger of the MoD's bureaucracy.

Although Gerasimov remains in his post, I would not be surprised if Belousov replaces him with someone more popular and to have a Chief of the General Staff who owes his position to him. The big loser in this shuffle appears to be Patrushev, who was also one of the key decisionmakers behind the invasion of Ukraine.

Lastly, many of these officials have been in their positions for more than a decade, and there was clearly a need for changes. Shoigu and Gerasimov have been in their positions since 2012 and Patrushev since 2008.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GNZoNl7W4AAZq8J?format=jpg&name=small
View All Quotes

ETA-

Maybe not.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GNZoNl7W4AAZq8J?format=jpg&name=small

I’ll take the contrarian tack and say that by far the most interesting development here is Patrushev.  This is big news!
One of Putin’s oldest allies, was KGB then FSB.
Widely seen as Putin’s most likely successor if anything happened in the short term.
Rabidly anti-US/anti-west.  A real gem from the wiki article:  “Patrushev has referenced "Madeleine Albright's claim 'that neither the Far East nor Siberia belong to Russia.'" According to the New York Times, this remark can be traced back to a psychic employed by the FSB who claimed to have read the thoughts in Albright's mind while in a state of trance.”
Major driver behind Ukraine policy including 2014 and 2022 invasions.
His demotion IMO should be examined both ways.  Is it a purge due to his policy failures in Ukraine and possibly unseen rivalry/disagreement with Putin?
Or is it preparing him for other opportunities?

The overall move is a mixed bag of signals.  Replacing Shoigu with competent technocrats suggests Russia is bearing down for long and direct confrontation with the west.  Replacing Patrushev with Shoigu is…puzzling.  IMO Shoigu will just be an empty seat with a fancy title and no power.  He’s a political survivor (you definitely have to credit him with some competence here) but he’s not a policymaker.  Will Patrushev continue to run the show behind the scenes without a title?
To me the biggest question is, has Patrushev REALLY been purged, or is this a ruse?  And if so who is it directed at?

Wiki article for biography.

Patrushev’s beliefs and approach to the West.

Reshuffles suggested to be Putin optimizing for a long war in Ukraine and confrontation with the west.

My guess is that with changes in the defense bureaucracy pointing at long term confrontation/war - which is exactly Patrushev’s political stance - Patrushev’s firing is a ruse to cause distraction/confusion and paralysis by analysis in the West.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:40:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc540] [#41]
Is it true that within the last two years of war, orc forces have only been able to advance 88km?

about 54 miles?

That's just down the road a piece in Texas.  

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#42]
No matter how many times I hear this explained, it still seems impossible that a thin layer of wet copper would cut through inches of steel. It's just weird.
View Quote

I’m also interested in why this component seems to always be copper and what quality of this metal makes it ideal for this pretty unique application.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:51:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Tirador223:

I’m also interested in why this component seems to always be copper and what quality of this metal makes it ideal for this pretty unique application.

View Quote

because white phosphorus is racist

sorry, the easy shot was there, had to take it
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Tirador223:

View Quote

Copper is often used because it has a high density, is easily malleable and cheap.

But they use steel, uranium or tantalum too.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:06:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R0N] [#45]

Copper is often used because it has a high density, is easily malleable and cheap.

But they use steel, uranium or tantalum too.
View Quote

You need something that will  deform readily without redirecting the explosive force.  

If the cone is more resilient than the shell, it won’t deform and instead of collapsing the force will be directed toward the shell case.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:29:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: michigan66] [#46]
From today's ISW Iran Backgrounder link here.

Hezbollah conducted a drone attack on an Iron Dome platform in Beit Hillel, then launched a second attack against the same platform when they thought Israeli officers would be at the scene evaluating the first attack.  The IDF confirmed that two drones fell in the Beit Hillel area without causing casualties.
View Quote

Link to Telegram posts in Arabic on the attacks  here.

Translation of relevant part of Telegram post:
At 19:00, the Beit Hilal military base and the new Iron Dome platforms were targeted with an air attack with assault marches. They were directly hit and some of them were completely disabled. Kamel. 5 - At 19:20, after the air attack that targeted the Iron Dome platforms at the Beit Hillal base, the Mujahideen of the Islamic Resistance again launched an assault march to target the location of the expected gathering of the Israeli enemy’s officers and soldiers following the attack in the center of the base
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:44:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Charging_Handle] [#47]

The drone threat, which has created the need to reassess and redesign our air defenses, is such a huge problem I am not sure we can realistically address it even with these added assets at division and corps level. Corps or division level ADA battalions are sufficient to address the higher end threats posed by fighter aircraft, attack helicopters and the larger, more traditional unmanned systems like we operate. But it is these little off the shelf, cheap, hobby type drones that are changing the battelfield. They are numerous and they are everywhere.

This is where an ADA battalion at corps is totally insufficient to deal with the threat. To deal with the kind of drones that are wreaking havoc in Ukraine right now, we're going to need low-end threat ADA systems being pushed down to and incorporated right into the armor and infantry platoons! Every tank, every IFV, every APC, every infantry squad, every supply truck is going to need some means for dealing with these kind of threats. A battalion of counter-UAS ADA added to whatever ADA brigade supporting an entire corps may sound impressive, but would be about as useless as a corps level anti-amor/fortification battalion. These are capabilities you need at the pointy tip of the spear, not back at corps! We don't make the Javelin, SMAW, Carl Gustav, and AT4 to be controlled at division or corps. They are incoporated right down to the platoon level where they are actually needed. Whatever the solution ultimately ends up being for these small, cheap FPV drones will need to employed in the same manner. Otherwise, it is a complete waste of time and will be totally ineffective.

Every tracked and wheeled vehicle needs to become capable of serving as its own ADA, at least against the low end but most numerous threats. Every infantry squad needs something man portable they can carry into the field with them to protect against FPV drones. What does that look like in the end? I don't know. But perhaps we can make the cannons on IFVs work equally well at blasting armored vehicles or drones? Maybe a 40mm grenade with a promixty sensor that can give even the most basic infantry fire team some kinetic means of destroying these low end drones? You might even need a brand new weapon, maybe something incoporating something like that 25mm grenade with a ranging system we were looking at back around the turn of the century that could explode right over enemy infantry taking cover behind a wall. That is ultimately where this is headed. I'm glad to see the military has at least concluded the drone threat warrants something besides Patriot systems and looked smaller/cheaper at IR guided Hydra 70 rockets as a potential solution. But even that is only getting halfway there. We need something that can be carried on every vehicle and carried by every fire team to adequately address the hobby drone threat. Otherwise, in our next shooting war, it will be our guys starring in YT drone videos and dying by the thousands, as the Russians have in their war in Ukraine.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#48]

Maybe staged and/or CGI, but it's terrifying.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:55:58 PM EDT
[#49]

Maybe staged and/or CGI, but it's terrifying.
View Quote

Maybe staged or CGI but still totally doable right now.
And in all honesty, cranking out millions of inexpensive weapons seems like the kind of thing the Chinese would be good at.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:04:51 PM EDT
[#50]

Maybe staged or CGI but still totally doable right now.
And in all honesty, cranking out millions of inexpensive weapons seems like the kind of thing the Chinese would be good at.
View Quote

Page / 118
Top Top