BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 102
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By R0N:

The performance of the stuff transferred to Russia does not match the stuff being shot into SK

The irony is the Koreans are doing what was alleged what the U.S. was doing and get rid of their old stuff that needed to be DRMO’d  but they are selling it to the Russians.
View Quote

Interesting. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:35:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#2]
US Marines are cooking today.

Video.
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/onyxindustriesllc_remotelethality-defenseinnovation-unmannedsystems-activity-7191113204855398402-nV7P
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:39:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Capta:

Looks to me like it's under control and punching out chaff.  I bet it got a chirp on the RWR and headed for the deck.  It looks to like it was pulling out at low altitude too.
Maybe there was a missile launch, maybe it was just a chirp.  No way to tell.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlmightyTallest:
Seems like someone went down about an hour ago.

Looks to me like it's under control and punching out chaff.  I bet it got a chirp on the RWR and headed for the deck.  It looks to like it was pulling out at low altitude too.

Video didn't completely load for me but looks like an Su-34 maybe even Su-35 definitely pumping out chaff and trying to get below the radar horizon and/or trying to drive any incoming missile into the ground. No sign the aircraft actually was shot down or hit the ground though.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:43:41 PM EDT
[#4]

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/1788035309403561984/AH8ahcs0?format=jpg&name=900x900

Video.
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/onyxindustriesllc_remotelethality-defenseinnovation-unmannedsystems-activity-7191113204855398402-nV7P
View Quote
Who didn't see this coming?

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:44:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Brok3n:

Video didn't completely load for me but looks like an Su-34 maybe even Su-35 definitely pumping out chaff and trying to get below the radar horizon and/or trying to drive any incoming missile into the ground. No sign the aircraft actually was shot down or hit the ground though.
View Quote

He was still losing altitude at a good clip when he got below the tree and the video ended. Could be a weird angle though, I don't know.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:52:20 PM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes
Seems like someone went down about an hour ago.

Looked like canards on it so...
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Costs $100,000.  Obviously they don’t get it yet.

Also wouldn’t surprise me a bit if it’s useless in heavy EW jamming and carries a 40mm warhead.
View All Quotes

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/1788270965300019200/djKUv2mO?format=jpg&name=900x900

Also wouldn’t surprise me a bit if it’s useless in heavy EW jamming and carries a 40mm warhead.

The performance quoted, while probably technically accurate, is most likely misleading. When people see 70mph and 6 miles, they think it will fly 6 miles at 70mph. Most likely it can go 70mph for very brief periods -or- fly 6 miles at a normal speed. Typically power required for level flight scales with velocity cubed. Twice the airspeed = 8x the power required. Since the battery is fixed, you only have so much power available and you can burn it going fast or burn it going far but you won't get very far flying fast and you wont be able to go very fast flying very far.

This is true of virtually all these platforms not just this particular one. It's marketing speak to make the performance sound better than it actually is. I once built a fixed-wing that could exceed 100mph. It could also fly for 2 hours (at 40mph). But, I'd only have less than 10 minutes of flight time at max speed, rather than 2 hours at normal cruise.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:53:57 PM EDT
[#8]
????? ?????????? ????????. ??? ??? ?

Just a wall in Russia.

Old, but interesting. No answer what's behind the wall or where it is so far.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:59:51 PM EDT
[#9]

The fact that big defense/Aerospace is making it tells me EW is a known calculation in what is expected of it, the Marines specifically want a system that will work in a nasty EW environment.  If it doesn't perform what is expected then Aerovironment Switchblade 600 and Anduril will win the contracts if theirs is EW resistant, and I think Aerovironment has the lead on first hand experiences here. That is just how this game works.

Well, the initial production run is 127 units, and it has different warheads you can use, and the drone can come back to the user if no target is found.  Ramp up the production order to thousands in a multi year contract and make it capable of defeating million dollar tanks and it will probably be worth it.

View All Quotes

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/1788270965300019200/djKUv2mO?format=jpg&name=900x900

The fact that big defense/Aerospace is making it tells me EW is a known calculation in what is expected of it, the Marines specifically want a system that will work in a nasty EW environment.  If it doesn't perform what is expected then Aerovironment Switchblade 600 and Anduril will win the contracts if theirs is EW resistant, and I think Aerovironment has the lead on first hand experiences here. That is just how this game works.

Rogue 1 will allow Marines to conduct “precision strikes against moving and stationary armored targets, soft-skinned vehicles, and dismounted threats,”  

Well, the initial production run is 127 units, and it has different warheads you can use, and the drone can come back to the user if no target is found.  Ramp up the production order to thousands in a multi year contract and make it capable of defeating million dollar tanks and it will probably be worth it.

Thing about small UAS is that typically large companies are not interested. A Lockheed-Martin isn't going to displace F-35 production for producing sUAS. As the saying goes "A company with a mile-long bomber plant can't make money producing meter long aircraft".

Further, as far as I can tell, none of the companies currently trying to make sUAS have the ability to scale production. They wouldn't be able to produce even 10k/month and maybe not even 1k/month. That also points out the lack of US manufacturing for things like the motors, electronics, props, etc.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:02:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:07:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By planemaker:

Thing about small UAS is that typically large companies are not interested. A Lockheed-Martin isn't going to displace F-35 production for producing sUAS. As the saying goes "A company with a mile-long bomber plant can't make money producing meter long aircraft".

Further, as far as I can tell, none of the companies currently trying to make sUAS have the ability to scale production. They wouldn't be able to produce even 10k/month and maybe not even 1k/month. That also points out the lack of US manufacturing for things like the motors, electronics, props, etc.
View All Quotes

Rogue 1 will allow Marines to conduct “precision strikes against moving and stationary armored targets, soft-skinned vehicles, and dismounted threats,”  

I tend to agree, but some of the big ticket EW or laser or microwave solutions that the US is creating is going to cause the enemy to have to make more expensive drones to get them to be able to reach their targets.  Likewise, if my F-35 can keep going over the enemy with impunity at high altitude and drop multitudes of $20,000 SDB's  I don't see the need for thousands of FPV drones for our side.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#12]

I tend to agree, but some of the big ticket EW or laser or microwave solutions that the US is creating is going to cause the enemy to have to make more expensive drones to get them to be able to reach their targets.  Likewise, if my F-35 can keep going over the enemy with impunity at high altitude and drop multitudes of $20,000 SDB's  I don't see the need for thousands of FPV drones for our side.
View Quote

The low-cost unnamed system has provided the effects of air power that most want, intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance, targeting, and strike to people and echelons that could not afford it before.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:30:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:33:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

I dont know man. The only thing Russia can produce 15 per day is factory smoking accidents and mysterious falls from windows...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SheltiePimp:

I can't find the article, but it was reported on Xinhua that one of Russias largest gas pipe extrusion foundry/factories had switched to full time barrel production. They were making barrel liners and barrels, 24/7. From memory it was 15 155mm barrels a day. That was around Christmas last year, so I'm sure they have ramped it up.

Recently the Europeans have been warning Russia is in stockpile mode again, they are producing enough for this war to start refilling factories and stockpiles. The idea that they are going to run out of anything is just wishful thinking.

I dont know man. The only thing Russia can produce 15 per day is factory smoking accidents and mysterious falls from windows...

I'm really leery about underestimating russia. They're working on getting their s*** together. They're trying to build a war economy. They don't need anything fancy they just need lots of whatever it is they put on the battlefield. Ukrainian drones have been destroying their tanks by hitting the soft spots. Now they've adapted and put barn doors on top of their tanks. Now the drones cannot hit their soft spots. It's cheap and it works.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:35:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:35:22 PM EDT
[#16]

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/1788035309403561984/AH8ahcs0?format=jpg&name=900x900

Video.
View Quote

I need a robot dog. I really really need a robot dog. I will use it to guard my property and hunt deer for me.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:38:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:41:38 PM EDT
[#18]

The low-cost unnamed system has provided the effects of air power that most want, intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance, targeting, and strike to people and echelons that could not afford it before.
View All Quotes

That is true, I just don't think we in the West will actually supply that capability at the cost point that the Ukrainians and Russians are currently at.   It will be more expensive systems with AI and SwArM tm technology with mini Deathbringer missiles.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Ouch.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:03:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By castlebravo84:

They just need to hit one of the tracks instead, and then finish it off later, or strike the recovery crew that tries to come get it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By _disconnector_:
Originally Posted By doc540:
May have missed an earlier response.    If a heavy drone hits a turtle tank with a down the throat shot (contained), would that effectively blind it?

I doubt it.  Most of the turtle tanks are light sheet steel and it would probably just blow back out the front and/or blow panels off.  Tanks are designed to take overpressure.  It would probably take a direct hit to the optics.
The drones need a two stage warhead - one to blow the sheet metal cover off and the second to punch through the armor.  Unless they have ERA under the turtle  - then 3 stages would work.  

They just need to hit one of the tracks instead, and then finish it off later, or strike the recovery crew that tries to come get it.

That's what I was thinking. Are the fpv drones powerful enough to blow off the tracks?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

Are the fpv drones powerful enough to blow off the tracks?
View Quote

Depending on the type of the drone, yes they can blow off the tracks.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:22:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Sorry about their luck.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:28:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stone-age] [#25]
Originally Posted By 4xGM300m:

View All Quotes

Are the fpv drones powerful enough to blow off the tracks?

To me this seems like the obvious solution. Once a tank can no longer move it largely becomes a sitting target. And a tank with a barn door on it can't even see what's going on.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#26]

To me this seems like the obvious solution. Once a tank can no longer move it largely becomes a sitting target. And a tank with a barn door on it can't even see what's going on.
View Quote

They can thread the drones into the turtles. They need to leave the back open for engine ventilation. They need to leave the front open to see. It makes it tougher, but watching a thermobaric going off under the sheet metal would be fun to watch.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:37:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Video.
View Quote

The big problem I see with this plan is that the marines are going to "swipe right to fuck" literally everything they see on that app.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:59:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stone-age] [#28]

The big problem I see with this plan is that the marines are going to "swipe right to fuck" literally everything they see on that app.
View All Quotes

Video.

Since the very start of this war me and my friend have been talking about how we are waiting for the video of Ukrainian robot dogs jumping down into a Russian trench.

They should talk to me about this. I have some absolutely terrifying ideas for their robot dogs.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#29]
9 hours until the victory parade starts.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:08:04 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

U.S. prison industries should be producing various parts at separate locations, the final product to be assembled under government supervision.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:12:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

They can thread the drones into the turtles. They need to leave the back open for engine ventilation. They need to leave the front open to see. It makes it tougher, but watching a thermobaric going off under the sheet metal would be fun to watch.
View All Quotes

How about some kind of thermite torpedo set on the top that burns through the roof and then the top of the vehicle?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:13:11 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

Video.

This sounds like a perfect opportunity for an aggressive company that's small enough to be nimble and able to innovate quickly.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:14:59 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Thermite grenades, napalm/gasoline/fuel oil can all ruin a turtle tank.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#34]

My wife keeps saying "it's going to be world war 3. Just get on with it. "
View All Quotes

My wife keeps saying "it's going to be world war 3. Just get on with it. "

Given the sorry condition and quantity of German and British armor, I wonder what the chances are of training and equipping them with Abrams and Bradleys? I don't know what their troop numbers look like. Do they even have the manpower to crew them?

90K US + 5K German + 5K Brits?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:45:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:
If I forget someone should update the G-7 results next month

https://euromaidanpress.com/2024/05/04/g-7-may-utilize-russian-assets-for-a-50-billion-aid-package-for-ukraine/
View Quote

Probably sold off to some billionaire or politicians family
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:46:59 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

Video.

I don’t know, could work out well if you designed the interface to look like a Big Chief tablet and the stylus to look like a crayon.  
You’d just have to include a holder for actual crayons.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By birdbarian:

Given the sorry condition and quantity of German and British armor, I wonder what the chances are of training and equipping them with Abrams and Bradleys? I don't know what their troop numbers look like. Do they even have the manpower to crew them?

90K US + 5K German + 5K Brits?
View Quote

What about Poland, Estonia, Sweden, Finland, France, Romania, Norway, Denmark, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Denmark, Lithuania? I think I missed a couple.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:54:10 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#39]

Ouch.
View Quote

Looks like a T-34 on the flatbed.  Also looks like no one was in the car, but can’t tell for sure.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:57:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By voyager3:

I doubt the authenticity of the poster. 1242 was the Mongols sacking Kyiv ending the Kievan Rus, and I don't think the Russians would associate themselves with the Mongols as the winning side.
View Quote

1242 was Alexander Nevsky defeating the Teutonic Knights at the Battle of Lake Peipus (or Battle on the Ice). There was the 1938 film that the Russians are (or were) crazy about.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:49:49 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

one orc walked through 3 or 4 accurate mortar hits?  
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

I'd rather that Capta, A-T, and Prime be given mod powers for this thread.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:
Originally Posted By fervid_dryfire:
I'd love to have an established rotation of moderators on this thread, and the other thread.  That's not a complaint, in any way.  

I'd rather that Capta, A-T, and Prime be given mod powers for this thread.

I like that idea a LOT better.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By rbblrwsr:

Have been curious about the UKR counter to this development, wonder if they're going to fly one of those thermostatic armed drones into the opening and split it open from the inside?  Pretty sure those welds aren't ASME or API compliant

Maybe something else?

The treads also look to be exposed.  Would think one of those turtles would be rightly fucked if they threw a tread.

Either of those approaches, or whatever UKR comes up with as a counter, will force them to use more drones per turtle than on a non-turtle.

View Quote

I'm not sure what's the best solution to the turtle-tank. Maybe settle for a mobility kill to the track of try their luck frontally. By far the best option was the rear turret ring and deck but the damn shed is in the way...
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:09:34 PM EDT
[#46]

I'm really leery about underestimating russia. They're working on getting their s*** together. They're trying to build a war economy. They don't need anything fancy they just need lots of whatever it is they put on the battlefield. Ukrainian drones have been destroying their tanks by hitting the soft spots. Now they've adapted and put barn doors on top of their tanks. Now the drones cannot hit their soft spots. It's cheap and it works.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SheltiePimp:

I can't find the article, but it was reported on Xinhua that one of Russias largest gas pipe extrusion foundry/factories had switched to full time barrel production. They were making barrel liners and barrels, 24/7. From memory it was 15 155mm barrels a day. That was around Christmas last year, so I'm sure they have ramped it up.

Recently the Europeans have been warning Russia is in stockpile mode again, they are producing enough for this war to start refilling factories and stockpiles. The idea that they are going to run out of anything is just wishful thinking.

As leery as I am about believing the “Russia is stupid” meme I’m just as leery of believing the “Russia now has their act (or is getting their act) together” meme.
Some things to think about:
Russian foreign disinfo ops are now on point after a slow start
Russian economic and production numbers can’t be trusted and best estimates say they’re overstating production of some things by 300%.
Russia is and always was a very closed society.  Shit can be going sideways and we will never hear about it until it blows apart.  The ideas that the Russian economy and society are unaffected by the war are both deliberate propaganda and an outcome of their culture.  I am 100% certain that they know how bad their own losses are.
The “war economy” they’re trumpeting is mostly rebuilding old crap like T72s and BMP-1s.  Not building the next gen.  Their defense exports are done for, and with it a lot of their foreign income, tech exchange, and leverage in the second and third world.
Russian corruption, despite what you may see about a crackdown against some of the big fish, isn’t being reined in and isn’t going to be.  This is Putin making a move to squeeze out Shoigu and his allies and reallocate their fiefdom to a chosen replacement, blame the conduct and progress of the war on the Army, and concentrate power in the FSB faction away from the Army faction.  It’s an FSB power play and thus is extremely bad news for Russia (and to an extent us) in the long run.
Much of what hampers their war effort is not fixable in the short term.  Yes, people who survive gain experience, yes, they’re coming up with solutions that sort of work, sometimes.  It doesn’t change their gross productive disadvantage, their growing technological backwardness, their ongoing serious losses in mid and high-ranking officers with experience and talent, their many social ills like corruption and cruelty, and so on.
We will see shit go down inside Russia in the next 1-2 years that catches every one of us by surprise.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#47]

One facing forward, and one facing aft would probably be best
View All Quotes

Apparently they need to face those missiles in the other direction, towards the stern. The drone pilot knew it was getting shot at from all the bullet splashes but launching the missile forward would have been futile. At least to the rear the helo pilot may have some respect for it.

One facing forward, and one facing aft would probably be best

6 to 10 properly positioned claymore mines with simple fixed cameras covering the rear from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock would have fucked that helo up!
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:45:36 PM EDT
[#48]

I don’t know, could work out well if you designed the interface to look like a Big Chief tablet and the stylus to look like a crayon.  
View All Quotes

Video.

God damnit !!!!!

😁

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:50:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Cobradriver:

God damnit !!!!!

😁

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cobradriver:

Video.

God damnit !!!!!

😁

lol.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:
US Soldier Arrested in Russia After Making a Secret Trip to Visit His Russian Girlfriend

OMFG!  I won't ask what this cat was thinking, because he obviously wasn't!
View Quote

Limp Bizkit wrote a song about it!
Page / 102
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top