BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:56:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Spiffums:
I'm a Christian and I love to get into it with these people. They usually lose it at "Creation could have taken 6,000 years since the Bible says a Day is like 1000 years and 1000 year is like a Day." The fact is we don't know how long it took for stuff to form between GOD spoke and what he spoke happened.
View Quote

It says that from God's perspective it's like that. Basically that he doesn't view time as we do. A day could be a day, it could be a million years. A supreme being wouldn't perceive time like us.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:00:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 556_Chowder] [#2]
Originally Posted By BombCrater:
THE EARF IS ONLY 6000 YEARS OLD

- GD Bible Thumpers
View Quote

Da Uniburse exploded out of nothing. And den complex organisms ebolbed out of pure chance.

- GD trash science thumpers
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:03:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Life uh, finds a way…
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:06:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By -daddy:
Dis gun be gud.

View Quote

I can’t believe I missed this thread all day.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:14:47 PM EDT
[#5]

- GD Bible Thumpers
View Quote

Correct
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:24:04 PM EDT
[#6]
So the newly formed organism that is composed of an algae and a bacteria

Does it always have to join to be created or

Can the new joined organism reproduce an already joined organism?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:13:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Might as well tag this one for pages of entertainment later.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:14:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 556_Chowder:

Da Uniburse exploded out of nothing. And den complex organisms ebolbed out of pure chance.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

- GD Bible Thumpers

There's a lot of evidence for one of those quotes but not the other.

You can probably figure out which is which.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:26:27 AM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes

- GD Bible Thumpers

Don't impose your limited ability to comprehend on others.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:27:54 AM EDT
[#10]
IBTL
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:30:32 AM EDT
[#11]
OK sure thing.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:24:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By fulminate:

In the beginning there was vast nothingness, then there was a bang and suddenly something took nothing's place.

-- GD Hurr Durr trust the science
View All Quotes

- GD Bible Thumpers

In the beginning there was vast nothingness, then there was a bang and suddenly something took nothing's place.

These are the two most erudite discussions I have heard on this topic in a long time.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:43:06 AM EDT
[#13]
So two spontaneously created organisms spontaneously combined and recreated the spontaneous generation leading to millions of other organisms.

MH^2 ^2
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:09:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JamesJones:
How do we know? A billion years seems like a long time when we been around for a few hundred thousand and don't know how shit got made a few thousand years ago?
View Quote

Trust the science
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:09:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By AzzFaceKillah:

It says that from God's perspective it's like that. Basically that he doesn't view time as we do. A day could be a day, it could be a million years. A supreme being wouldn't perceive be limited by time like us.
View Quote

I like my way better.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:16:08 AM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

- GD Bible Thumpers

In the beginning, God used his natural laws and processes to create the universe and life.  Just like an all knowing and all powerful God would do.  God and science are one of the same.  The earth, life and cosmos and their complexity and vastness bear testimony of God every day.  We would do well to study science as this is knowing God.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:16:24 AM EDT
[#18]
That's actually pretty cool.

Also...I don't know why Christians are so leery about science and evoloutions and such

God controlls everything...why couldn't he also control evoloution?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:17:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By piciphant:
I'm lichen this story.
View Quote

Very clever.  Bravo!
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:18:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Neat.

I won’t be around to find out what they grow into
Although it’d be neat to find out one day
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:36:05 AM EDT
[#21]
So the way I understand this is...

An algae and a bacteria have evolved a symbiotic nitrogen-fixing relationship.
They've become so symbiotic that the bacteria has become incorporated into the cell of the algae.
It's become so integrated that the scientists are unable to culture the bacteria outside of its host algae.
Ergo, the bacteria has evolved into a nitrogen-fixing proto-organelle.
Observing this process is providing a glimpse into how cell organelles can evolve from symbiotic bacteria, like the suspected origin of mitochondria.

Does this mean that the species of algae with the new nitroplast could be considered a new branch of the tree of life?  We differentiate plant and animal cells based on the cell wall, chloroplasts, and other organelles, right?  So would a nitroplast algae no longer be considered a "plant"?  Given the prevalence of nitrogen-fixing bacteria associated with plants in general, I also wonder if other species of plants are evolving similar relationships.  I suppose we could also draw parallels with the symbiotic relationship between tree roots and fungal mycorrhizae (THIS is probably where we get triffids from, heh).  This whole topic is pretty fascinating; it's pretty amazing that scientists have stumbled across a symbiotic bacteria partway through its evolution into a new proto-organelle.  Makes me wonder what other possible organelles could evolve and/or be forced into evolving.  As in, could you artificially select for bacteria strains to have such symbiotic relationships with an arbitrary organism?  Imagine if you could infect someone with super-mitochondria to create stronger muscles or something.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#22]
deep sea hot vent chemosythisis, is this the forth type?

https://ocean.si.edu/ocean-life/invertebrates/hydrothermal-vent-creatures
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:03:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By JamesJones:
How do we know? A billion years seems like a long time when we been around for a few hundred thousand and don't know how shit got made a few thousand years ago?
View Quote
Don't question the presuppositions of the science
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:09:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:

How many times has "rock solid science" been changed, due to new information?
View Quote

Science as broad and deep as proves the universe is more than 6000 years old?

Zero
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:22:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:
https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.adk1075

PDF of the paper

https://www.cell.com/cell/pdf/S0092-8674(24)00182-X.pdf

Overall, our study shows that the size relationship of the N2-
fixing cyanobacterium UCYN-A with B. bigelowii is determined
by fundamental constraints rooted in the exchange of resources
between symbiotic partners, i.e., in a coordinated metabolism.
UCYN-A and other N2-fixing spheroid bodies45–47 are ‘‘snap-
shots’’ along the spectrum of the evolution of bacterial-derived
organelles in eukaryotes. However, how far along this trajectory
these N2-fixing spheroid bodies are will ultimately be uncovered
by the demonstration of additional organelle properties, such as
the coordination of protein import and export.

Limitations of the study
This study does not unequivocally demonstrate that UCYN-A is
an organelle for N2 fixation because, in order to do so, additional
experiments would be necessary to show, for instance, protein
trafficking and/or gene migration between both symbiotic part-
ners, i.e., UCYN-A and B. bigelowii. Moreover, the symbiotic
relationship between the UCYN-A2 sublineage and B. bigelowii
might be occasionally unstable under undetermined culture
conditions, as it has been reported in this and other similar diffi-
cult-to-grow N2-fixing symbioses.6,47 Identifying the conditions
triggering the instability of these types of symbioses might help
us to better understand what makes them stay together in the
natural environment. Furthermore, knowing whether UCYN-A
can or cannot be cultivated as a free-living population would
be very informative in respect of its nature. In this regard, at-
tempts to maintain free-living UCYN-A cells have been unsuc-
cessful so far, supporting the nitroplast hypothesis, yet further
attempts are needed to confirm this observation.

---------------------------------------------

From the news article:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/evolution-history-algae-plants-agriculture-b2532663.html
The process involves the algae engulfing the bacterium and providing it with nutrients, energy and protection in return for functions that it could not previously perform – in this instance, the ability to “fix” nitrogen from the air.

The algae then incorporates the bacterium as an internal organ called an organelle, which becomes vital to the host’s ability to function.

So if you add something the thing you added it to magically becomes not a (in this case algae of whatever type)  ... eh.

If you surgically implanted a biological filter into a human's airway that fitered noxious chemicals out, would they be human or not?

----------------------------------
eta;
A bacteria goes into an algae and not only do we call it life, we call it a new life form.

Conception happens with human sperm and egg and we don't, we swear it isn't even life.

The hypocrisy is chokingly thick.
View Quote

Stick to fighting the culture war.

Science is clearly not your forte, because what is being described here is not in anyway like fertilization.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:27:04 PM EDT
[#26]

- GD Bible Thumpers
View Quote

Not every "Bible Thumper" believes in a young earth creation.

But to call this "evolution", or to even think that evolution is what gave rise to all we see on earth is hilarious. But OK, we can just keep ignoring DNA, and all the implications that come with it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:29:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By leester:
I thought this thread was gonna be about the Republican lawmakers merging into Democrat lawmakers. Weird
View Quote

that was my thought as well
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:15:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By sirgilbert357:

But to call this "evolution", or to even think that evolution is what gave rise to all we see on earth is hilarious. But OK, we can just keep ignoring DNA, and all the implications that come with it.
View Quote

Please....present your competing hypothesis then. Ideally with a data set as large or larger than that for evolution.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

Please....present your competing hypothesis then. Ideally with a data set as large or larger than that for evolution.
View Quote

There are a number of resources I could point you to that detail far more compelling arguments than evolution for the life we observe on earth. But let's be honest - you have the internet, if you cared at all, you'd do your own research.

But, just for fun: if you actually believe in evolution, perhaps you'd like to read "The Genesis Enigma" by Andrew Parker. He argues that evolution IS how all things came to be, but also that it aligns perfectly with the Biblical account in Genesis. He even breaks it all down verse by verse, using SCIENCE! So, if you want to believe in evolution, you can still be a Christian! Someone has that angle covered for you. My views do not align with the book, just so we're clear.

For the record, his book still assumes a Creator had to take action to make it all possible. If you reject that, then you'll have to present your own hypothesis of where all the matter in the universe came from, what kicked it all off and why, etc. And your data set will have to be larger than that for a Creator.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:46:21 PM EDT
[#30]
He's a Rockstar!
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:46:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:50:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:

Cherry-picking certain parts of science, to avoid answering the question? That's what I figured.
View Quote

Absolutely the opposite of cherry picking. Stop projecting.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:14:48 AM EDT
[#34]

There are a number of resources I could point you to that detail far more compelling arguments than evolution for the life we observe on earth. But let's be honest - you have the internet, if you cared at all, you'd do your own research.

But, just for fun: if you actually believe in evolution, perhaps you'd like to read "The Genesis Enigma" by Andrew Parker. He argues that evolution IS how all things came to be, but also that it aligns perfectly with the Biblical account in Genesis. He even breaks it all down verse by verse, using SCIENCE! So, if you want to believe in evolution, you can still be a Christian! Someone has that angle covered for you. My views do not align with the book, just so we're clear.

For the record, his book still assumes a Creator had to take action to make it all possible. If you reject that, then you'll have to present your own hypothesis of where all the matter in the universe came from, what kicked it all off and why, etc. And your data set will have to be larger than that for a Creator.

View All Quotes

I agree. Evolution and god are not at odds with each other in any way.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:16:23 AM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

The social gospel was a psyop
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:28:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Uniparty of the House?
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top