User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DonS:

The problem is that the Dems don't respect rule of law and will do as they wish.

However the court did settle a number of things from a legal perspective:

1) It's an individual right.
2) Can't ban handguns outright.
3) It applies to the states.
4) It applies to modern firearms and other weapons.
5) Can't ban carry.
6) Text and tradition is the basis for understanding the 2nd.

View Quote

And yet NYS has banned carry anywhere outside the home except for, as the governor put it, " a few streets". She also said that she doesn't believe in good guys with guns, so to her every gun owner is a bad person
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By GTwannabe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li0rDKHr-EY
View Quote

Four boxes diner is good, but god damn he's starting to become like that phaggot Armed Schooler with his "Major Breaking News" on every video. The SCOTUS taking the case is not Major Breaking News. Them ruling on AWB's positively would be.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:05:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By bad2006z71:

Four boxes diner is good, but god damn he's starting to become like that phaggot Armed Schooler with his "Major Breaking News" on every video. The SCOTUS taking the case is not Major Breaking News. Them ruling on AWB's positively would be.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bad2006z71:
Originally Posted By GTwannabe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li0rDKHr-EY

I'd say a gun case being granted cert is major breaking news, it only happens a few times a decade...

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By gearsmithy:

1000% THIS

I've been saying it for a long time, if we want SCOTUS to weigh in on AWBs then get Texas to pass one with the intention of striking it down in the 5th and the state appealing to SCOTUS.

We need to start generating circuit splits to force SCOTUS's hand.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StevenH:

Get Texas to pass one

1000% THIS

I've been saying it for a long time, if we want SCOTUS to weigh in on AWBs then get Texas to pass one with the intention of striking it down in the 5th and the state appealing to SCOTUS.

Exactly. They have to be forced to rule on it, otherwise they will weasel their way out of it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:24:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TW52:
Aweaome, but would rather see them take up the state AWB's first.
View Quote

This. I miss my freedom
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Not excited about this.

To win this case, the argument will have to simultaneously assert that:
1) 80% receivers aren't firearms, i.e. arms, and
2) 80% receivers are arms that are protected by the 2A.

If you argue that the 80% is not a firearm (or arm, to specifically relate to the amendment), then the government could theoretically legislate them in whatever manner they choose without any relation to the 2A.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By CTM1:

Yep, as my state has been full on draconian for over a decade and I am not getting any younger and realizing I cannot move.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:10:49 PM EDT
[#8]

1000% THIS

View Quote

Bingo !
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:11:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Bruen settled the question asked for good. No state is may issue with good cause statements anymore.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Wobblin-Goblin:
Like Bruen did?

Bruen settled the question asked for good. No state is may issue with good cause statements anymore.

Yep, and afterward blue states across the country passed even stricter laws that infringe even more.

What a victory.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:15:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StevenH] [#10]
Originally Posted By DDiggler:
Not excited about this.

If you argue that the 80% is not a firearm (or arm, to specifically relate to the amendment), then the government could theoretically legislate them in whatever manner they choose without any relation to the 2A.
View Quote

It’s not a 2A case. To win they have to show ATF/DOJ lacked authority to classify them as firearms absent congressional approval
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:17:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I hope it is not a mistake to ask a question I don't know the answer to but I did send this request to my Senators who both sit on the Judiciary committee:

Senator,
 The Supreme Court has just agreed to hearing the administration's appeal on the ATF's new rule concerning Privately Made Firearms, PMF, or what the press prejudicially refers to as "ghost guns."  It is imperative that before this case is heard, Directors Wray and  Dettelbach be asked, or required to respond if you can: the number of gun traces performed per year AND the number of convictions for violent crimes with a firearm where the sole clue to identifying the perpetrator was through a trace of the firearm used in the crime.  If the number is actually greater than zero, to name the cases.
Thank you
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:55:40 PM EDT
[#12]

1000% THIS

View All Quotes

Get Texas to pass one

1000% THIS

I'd rather take the other approach and, for example, have Missouri, or any State with a pro-2A AG that has a backbone, pass a magazine size limit.

'All long guns with detachable magazines and manufactured following 6 months after this bill is signed into law must be sold with at least one functional magazine for that firearm having a capacity of at least 24 cartridges.  Failure to abide by this law is punishable by a fine of $0.10 per firearm sold without such a magazine ...' and payable to whatever part of the State manages public shooting ranges and to allocated for that purpose.

Let the antiliberty folks take that one to court and have the Militia Act of 1792 thrown in their face.  I think it fits the Bruen 'test' and the fine gives a cheap out for manufacturers who can't or don't want to comply.  A 24 round mag in .50BMG might be a bit awkward.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:13:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DIYinSTL:

I'd rather take the other approach and, for example, have Missouri, or any State with a pro-2A AG that has a backbone, pass a magazine size limit.

'All long guns with detachable magazines and manufactured following 6 months after this bill is signed into law must be sold with at least one functional magazine for that firearm having a capacity of at least 24 cartridges.  Failure to abide by this law is punishable by a fine of $0.10 per firearm sold without such a magazine ...' and payable to whatever part of the State manages public shooting ranges and to allocated for that purpose.

Let the antiliberty folks take that one to court and have the Militia Act of 1792 thrown in their face.  I think it fits the Bruen 'test' and the fine gives a cheap out for manufacturers who can't or don't want to comply.  A 24 round mag in .50BMG might be a bit awkward.
View Quote

That also raises a question. What if they openly did it to intentionally generate a circuit court split? Would that hurt the case in SCOTUS? If the penalty was really light, it might be obviously legal shenanigans.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:15:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1Andy2] [#14]
Originally Posted By BlackTuono:
I thought we already had a win on that in the 5th, SCOTUS taking it up isn't necessarily a good thing. I won't hold my breath for a Bruen-like opinion excoriating the ATF and gutting Chevron deference. The Court should be taking up the cases from state laws and state courts expressly sticking their thumb in Bruen's eye.
View Quote

USSC is where something like this winds up when circuit Court decisions conflict.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By madmacs69:

Remember that questionnaire sent out by the ATF about FFL's  ability to engrave? All part of the plan...

UN is about to have a big gun control push too...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By madmacs69:
Originally Posted By Mach:
MA is in the process of passing a sweeping anti-gun law that will require all guns and most parts to be serialized including pre 1968 firearms and they must be serialized by a federally licensed person authorized to serialize guns.

Remember that questionnaire sent out by the ATF about FFL's  ability to engrave? All part of the plan...

UN is about to have a big gun control push too...

Hadn’t heard about any questionnaire about engraving, but you have to wonder if the sudden improvement in NFA stamp wait times is part of an effort to make wider registration more palatable. I mean, how does it make any sense for the ATF to suddenly get so efficient at approvals? Especially under this administration?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:22:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By jd2395:
it does not matter.  the states are ignoring everything they don't like (NY, NJ, CA, etc) as well as soon-to-be converted to commie states (ex. VA dems passed 35+ bills that directly violate not only the 2A but also Heller, Miller, Bruen - all vetoed, but coming back).  Another Bruen ruling will lead to simply more of the same.

The big mistake in our Founding or somewhere is the AJ is appointed by the President.  So, commie Garland would be who would/should be suing the crap out of states for these violations and you see how that is going.
View Quote

How is that a mistake?  What is your preferred alternative?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:22:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Not excited about this.

View Quote

Really?  What part of the Constitution grants the Feds the power to legislate regarding them in any manner they choose, even in the absence of the 2nd Amendment?  No such power exists.  Neither does a power exist to permit the executive to effectively legislate.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:38:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By dsteelman:

Yep, I can see them saying SNs aren't an infringement
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dsteelman:
Originally Posted By chase45:
Yeah we might not like the ruling on this one

Yep, I can see them saying SNs aren't an infringement
Yep, just like obamacare was a tax.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:04:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By TW52:
Aweaome, but would rather see them take up the state AWB's/Mag bans first.
View Quote
FIFY and QFT

Seems they keep tip toeing around those huh?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:31:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

USSC is where something like this winds up when circuit Court decisions conflict.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:
Originally Posted By BlackTuono:
I thought we already had a win on that in the 5th, SCOTUS taking it up isn't necessarily a good thing. I won't hold my breath for a Bruen-like opinion excoriating the ATF and gutting Chevron deference. The Court should be taking up the cases from state laws and state courts expressly sticking their thumb in Bruen's eye.

And in this case, the win in the 5th is what the .gov is appealing, IIRC.
It's not the pro-2A (and anti-"regulatory agencies effectively able to write new laws") side who appealed this to USSC, since they won in the 5th.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:02:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Not excited about this.

View Quote

I disagree.  The 2A protects "arms".  The ATF regulates "firearms".  The ATF has no authority to regulate knives, clubs, axes, swords, crossbows, blowguns, or anything else that doesn't fire fixed metallic cartridges.   But they are all protected by the Second Amendment.

A thing can be a protected "arm" while also NOT being a "firearm".  "Firearm" is just a definition made up by legislators.  

A solid steel rod can be used as a club (an "arm") and it could also be made into a "firearm" by milling away everything that isn't in the shape of a receiver.  

A typical 80% receiver can be fitted with a stock and attached to an upper with no FCG pocket or magwell milled out and you can put a bayonet on that upper and have a deadly "arm" that isn't a "firearm".
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:47:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kharn] [#22]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:

I disagree.  The 2A protects "arms".  The ATF regulates "firearms".  The ATF has no authority to regulate knives, clubs, axes, swords, crossbows, blowguns, or anything else that doesn't fire fixed metallic cartridges.   But they are all protected by the Second Amendment.

A thing can be a protected "arm" while also NOT being a "firearm".  "Firearm" is just a definition made up by legislators.  

A solid steel rod can be used as a club (an "arm") and it could also be made into a "firearm" by milling away everything that isn't in the shape of a receiver.  

A typical 80% receiver can be fitted with a stock and attached to an upper with no FCG pocket or magwell milled out and you can put a bayonet on that upper and have a deadly "arm" that isn't a "firearm".
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:
Not excited about this.

Vanderstok brings up the 2nd Amendment several times in her response to the government's petition for cert, so the Court could rule on that as well. And the feds should be prepared to defend why in the history and tradition of the United States, the feds never restricted home manufacturing of firearms until this action, did not require serial numbers for "normal" firearms from manufacturers until 1968, and so on. Bruen requires they look back to the time of ratification of the 2nd and 14th Amendments, so they're going to be in quite a pickle. The feds also played fast and loose with this regulation, mincing the words from DD, silencer, and MG sections of the statute in attempt to apply them to the Title I firearm section of the statute, when Congress specifically did not include those words in that section.

Oral arguments will be very interesting.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:15:56 AM EDT
[#23]
The problem with these cases like this and the bump stock case is while they involve guns they are not being challenged on 2A grounds.  So there is no Bruin analysis and there is a presumption at least congress can pass such laws.  The fight ends up being just about if aft can.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:20:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By inkaybee:
The problem with these cases like this and the bump stock case is while they involve guns they are not being challenged on 2A grounds.  So there is no Bruin analysis and there is a presumption at least congress can pass such laws.  The fight ends up being just about if aft can.
View Quote

Yeah there's always the risk they rule that the ATF can't do anything, but leave the door wide open for congressnto just pass something.

Every time a rule is made or a law passed, you are lokming at a years-long wait for it to work through the courts, and at the end, either an unfavorable ruling, or one so narrow as to allow continued infringement everywhere outside the scope of the ruling.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:42:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By inkaybee:
View Quote

The court can only consider the case before it, they can't go off of hypotheticals.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:00:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thirsty] [#26]
Never mind
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:13:43 AM EDT
[#27]
TTAG says the 5th Circuit unanimously upheld the district court, meaning that 4 out of 4 judges disagree with the ATF so far:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/supreme-court-will-take-up-ghost-gun-case-this-fall/
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By PepePewPew:
TTAG says the 5th Circuit unanimously upheld the district court, meaning that 4 out of 4 judges disagree with the ATF so far:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/supreme-court-will-take-up-ghost-gun-case-this-fall/
View Quote

well the ATF is a bunch of useless cunts, top to bottom. So that's good.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:57:54 PM EDT
[#29]
HUGE SCOTUS ATF 2ND AMENDMENT CASE: WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR GUN OWNERS?
HUGE SCOTUS ATF 2ND AMENDMENT CASE: WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR GUN OWNERS?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:19:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Attachment Attached File

Noted and lawful.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:21:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By DIYinSTL:
I hope it is not a mistake to ask a question I don't know the answer to but I did send this request to my Senators who both sit on the Judiciary committee:

Senator,
 The Supreme Court has just agreed to hearing the administration's appeal on the ATF's new rule concerning Privately Made Firearms, PMF, or what the press prejudicially refers to as "ghost guns."  It is imperative that before this case is heard, Directors Wray and  Dettelbach be asked, or required to respond if you can: the number of gun traces performed per year AND the number of convictions for violent crimes with a firearm where the sole clue to identifying the perpetrator was through a trace of the firearm used in the crime.  If the number is actually greater than zero, to name the cases.
Thank you
View Quote

I've been told that the firearm serial number is about as helpful in solving crimes as a chalk outline on the sidewalk.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/255381/IMG_4274_jpeg-3197081.JPG

Noted and lawful.
View Quote
A Jedi must build his own lightsaber
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top